Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 WizKids Icons of the Realms Dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2021 :  19:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I noticed there is a lack of tomes on these miniatures.

I have the old Icons dragons from Wizards, that were awesome. I am still pissed off to no end that they NEVER made a Green Dragon. So in my endless quest to find a fill in I ran into these WizKids dragons which have released all of them BUT the Green Dragon *sigh*, luckily its open for pre-order now.

I ordered the WizKids Red Dragon today, since the original Icons Red was Colossal+, much larger than the Gargantuan others. I expect to have it in on Saturday so likely a review on Sunday. Based on the quality I will decide if I am going to buy the rest of them.

The odd thing is, the old Icons Dragons were all 4" bases in 3.5e and were Gargantuan. But most of the released WizKids dragons say "Adult" which 5e says are Huge and have 3" base. But from what I have seen on the internet I feel like they will be roughly similar in scale to the old ones, we will see.

There is currently also a pre-order for a "Gargantuan" Tiamat and they have recently released "Gargantuan" Arveiaturace, this apparently had some mix up in the factory and a lot of them were released barely painted. These look similar in scale with the Colossal+ Red from the Icons line. Tiamat has dimensions listed and are roughly the size of my Colossal+ Red. So confusing.

If anyone owns any of these would love to hear their thoughts.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2021 :  09:11:19  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So a typical WizKids product, 5 star price, 4 star product. It looks nice. Good details in the sculpt not bad on the paint.

The only bad thing is the clear plastic that is suspending the Red Dragon I the air that comes out of its crotch and attaches to the base. It seems flimsy and like it might break and it is not weighted enough so when you place it down it wobbles a bit. The whole thing seems more fragile than the old dragons, the new plastic has NO give. The old figures you could actually manipulate their pose with a little heat and some time.

Scale is confusing, the clear base has an outer ring that is 4" wide but a painted inner ring at 3". When compared to the old dragons it's roughly to scale, the head and shoulders seem small. But the wings and tail seem right. So I'd say it's versatile in that it can pass as huge or gargantuan.

Visually oddly it doesn't feel out of place with the old dragons. So I will likely be forking out money for more of them especially the green one, even if it's with some grumbling. I just wish they'd reduce the cost by 10-20% or added just a bit more quality. The old dragons I had no reluctance spending the money on.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000