Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is a "Faeros Magen" Race?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2021 :  17:36:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just put out a new DM's Guild product that covers a lot of unusual topics
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352561/United-Tharchs-of-Toril--Secret-Cities--Strange-Skyships-of-Anchorome?src=newest_community&filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

but one of them I think could be a particularly fun concept for players who love Forgotten Realms HISTORY. It's the concept of a living construct race for players, but one in which its NOT a warforged, helmed horror, or nimblewright looking creation. You are a magen, but a magen which has memories of an earlier life, usually as a great archmage from one of the great fallen empires that were around when the time of Netheril was around (so Jhaamdath, Narfell, Raumathar, Calimshan, Mulhorand, Unther, etc...). However, as a player, you start out at first level with MEMORIES... vague ones... of being extremely powerful. You just lack all of those skills that you once held, and perhaps you WANT to recover them, or MAYBE you see this as a way to change your life around. The thing being with this concept is to explore ancient societies, develop some lost ancient history, etc.... with your character without having to have the whole story up front.... because your character is still foggy on what he remembers. The one thing you know for certain is that you were involved with a netherese enclave that went to Anchorome that was cosmopolitan enough to have spellcasters from cultures all over the world at the time.... and somehow you died there.

So, with that base concept out there... just for discussions sake, I'd like to ask, what would YOU do with it?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2021 :  19:43:40  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pre- or Post-end of gnome slavery? Because an ex-gnome slave magen hunting down other magen for revenge sounds interesting. Imagine watching some archmage or group of archmages torture your family into being spriggans? Those could be some pretty nasty "flashbacks" and great motivators for finding the guys that did it.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 03 Apr 2021 19:46:00
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2021 :  20:04:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Pre- or Post-end of gnome slavery? Because an ex-gnome slave magen hunting down other magen for revenge sounds interesting. Imagine watching some archmage or group of archmages torture your family into being spriggans? Those could be some pretty nasty "flashbacks" and great motivators for finding the guys that did it.

Well, I haven't hard set the date for the fall of the enclave, and the people in the enclave would have their souls trapped in a crystal cavern after the fall.... but let's pretend the enclave fell as a result of Karsus' folly and therefore it would be in the years immediately following Karsus' folly.

I like your idea of magen on magen conflict. One concept I've been playing with was that during the time they were in Abeir, one faeros magen actually gets the spirit of Karsus himself drawn into it, or believes it to be Karsus, reviving the cult of Karsus.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2021 :  19:00:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I just put out a new DM's Guild product that covers a lot of unusual topics
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/352561/United-Tharchs-of-Toril--Secret-Cities--Strange-Skyships-of-Anchorome?src=newest_community&filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

but one of them I think could be a particularly fun concept for players who love Forgotten Realms HISTORY. It's the concept of a living construct race for players, but one in which its NOT a warforged, helmed horror, or nimblewright looking creation. You are a magen, but a magen which has memories of an earlier life, usually as a great archmage from one of the great fallen empires that were around when the time of Netheril was around (so Jhaamdath, Narfell, Raumathar, Calimshan, Mulhorand, Unther, etc...). However, as a player, you start out at first level with MEMORIES... vague ones... of being extremely powerful. You just lack all of those skills that you once held, and perhaps you WANT to recover them, or MAYBE you see this as a way to change your life around. The thing being with this concept is to explore ancient societies, develop some lost ancient history, etc.... with your character without having to have the whole story up front.... because your character is still foggy on what he remembers. The one thing you know for certain is that you were involved with a netherese enclave that went to Anchorome that was cosmopolitan enough to have spellcasters from cultures all over the world at the time.... and somehow you died there.

So, with that base concept out there... just for discussions sake, I'd like to ask, what would YOU do with it?

Interesting, I like it.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2021 :  21:40:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magens are... pseudo-flesh golems/simulacra constructs from Mystara?

quote:

It's the concept of a living construct race for players, but one in which its NOT a warforged, helmed horror, or nimblewright looking creation. You are a magen, but a magen which has memories of an earlier life, usually as a great archmage from one of the great fallen empires

So, that thing Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen asked about?
The question, however, is how much those are "their own" memories.
Simulacra have copies of the original, Alias had fake "memories" created. Then there was Nybor's mind-cloning process for enchanted items...
On the other eyestalk, transfer of a pre-existing lifeforce into a construct was done. Those magen are known to sometimes wind up possessed by fiends on creation. And Realms has not only helmed horrors, but a canon example of successful lifeforce transfer into a pre-existing golem, so that instead of an elemental it had a dwarf's spirit "driving".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2021 :  02:07:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Magens are... pseudo-flesh golems/simulacra constructs from Mystara?

quote:

It's the concept of a living construct race for players, but one in which its NOT a warforged, helmed horror, or nimblewright looking creation. You are a magen, but a magen which has memories of an earlier life, usually as a great archmage from one of the great fallen empires

So, that thing Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen asked about?
The question, however, is how much those are "their own" memories.
Simulacra have copies of the original, Alias had fake "memories" created. Then there was Nybor's mind-cloning process for enchanted items...
On the other eyestalk, transfer of a pre-existing lifeforce into a construct was done. Those magen are known to sometimes wind up possessed by fiends on creation. And Realms has not only helmed horrors, but a canon example of successful lifeforce transfer into a pre-existing golem, so that instead of an elemental it had a dwarf's spirit "driving".

Yes, the concept that there are these magen that are created in a way like other magen, but that its easier to make them because you're sucking in the soul of someone captured in a special cavern. They can only be created in one spot, and the spell to be used is taught to the person by a udoxias crossed with a mythallar, and they can only cast the spell once (it uses their life force in some unusual way that they can never cast the spell again).

So, mortal casts spell, faeros magen created from soul captured in cavern, fully grown but with only vague memories of their past life.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000