Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jergal Lord of the End of Everything
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  01:39:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
George (who edited and co-wrote it but doesn't want to admit it) made me post something to DM's Guild: "Jergal: Lord of the End of Everything."

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/346895/Jergal-Lord-of-the-End-of-Everything

Here's the overview:
Jergal, the Lord of the End of Everything, is the enigmatic Seneschal of the Dead. Learn about the history of the most mysterious of Netherese gods, including the Rise of Netheril and the Crown of Horns. Find out why Jergal's failed ritual led to the collapse of Netheril and the Weave. Delve into the details of the Seven Sigils War and the Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings. And finally, unveil the mysteries behind the Rise of the Dark Three (Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul) and the Fall of the Seven Lost Gods.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 14 Feb 2021 01:56:35

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  03:03:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this add to the previously available content?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  03:14:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yes. I had shared Part 1 and 2 of Lord of the End of Everything before. This includes some fixes.

In addition, it includes write-ups of the Crown of Horns and the Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings.

Finally, it includes Part 3 of Lord of the End of Everything, discussing the Rise of the Dark Three.

It also includes a write-up of the Seven Sigils war.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  04:10:15  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

George (who edited and co-wrote it but doesn't want to admit it) made me post something to DM's Guild: "Jergal: Lord of the End of Everything."

Here's the overview:
Jergal, the Lord of the End of Everything, is the enigmatic Seneschal of the Dead. Learn about the history of the most mysterious of Netherese gods, including the Rise of Netheril and the Crown of Horns. Find out why Jergal's failed ritual led to the collapse of Netheril and the Weave. Delve into the details of the Seven Sigils War and the Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings. And finally, unveil the mysteries behind the Rise of the Dark Three (Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul) and the Fall of the Seven Lost Gods.

--Eric

Hah! I just saw Ed tweet about this and I came here to ask about it. I've been out of the loop for a while but I thought this was a new novel.
Is this a new thing that WoTC is doing? Does this read as a lore book (more friendly to novel readers) or is this pure game material? For $4 I'm probably buying it any ways.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  04:17:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:

Here's the overview:

--Eric

Hah! I just saw Ed tweet about this and I came here to ask about it. I've been out of the loop for a while but I thought this was a new novel.
Is this a new thing that WoTC is doing? Does this read as a lore book (more friendly to novel readers) or is this pure game material? For $4 I'm probably buying it any ways.

I'm just working within WoTC's rules to fan publish.

And to be clear, it's 14 pages of history / Realmslore. There are two artifacts, but it's basically just their history.

It's going to read more like a novel than a game book. It's basically six very short stories.

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 14 Feb 2021 04:42:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  05:47:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes. I had shared Part 1 and 2 of Lord of the End of Everything before. This includes some fixes.

In addition, it includes write-ups of the Crown of Horns and the Scepter of the Sorcerer-Kings.

Finally, it includes Part 3 of Lord of the End of Everything, discussing the Rise of the Dark Three.

It also includes a write-up of the Seven Sigils war.

--Eric

...And those extra bits made it a definite buy.

I just got done reading it... I'm going to have to re-read it, when I'm more awake, because wow, there's a lot of good stuff in there!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  07:37:46  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this posted in a Realms Facebook group I am a member of, $4.00 well spent!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  11:20:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This fills some holes regarding some disparate strands of lore, hopefully into a coherent whole. And to be clear, I only helped on the good bits.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  19:57:02  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just snagged this a bit ago. Time to dig in! :)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  20:37:20  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well worth the Ducats

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  21:42:05  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm just working within WoTC's rules to fan publish.

And to be clear, it's 14 pages of history / Realmslore. There are two artifacts, but it's basically just their history.

It's going to read more like a novel than a game book. It's basically six very short stories.

--Eric

Good enough for me!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  22:24:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read it, but before I do... the idea that Jergal was a weaver and that the weavers had something to do with the "obelisks" that are being built up... that could maybe have some fun worked into it. Is that involved? Just curious.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  23:48:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could certainly and easily tie Jergal into the obelisks. However, we did not go that way.

In general, when writing, I tend to stay away from ever-evolving meta-plots, like Mithral Hall, Menzoberrazan, or obelisks. :-) Makes it easier to avoid getting invalidated.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Haven't read it, but before I do... the idea that Jergal was a weaver and that the weavers had something to do with the "obelisks" that are being built up... that could maybe have some fun worked into it. Is that involved? Just curious.

--
Go to Top of Page

kandajj
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  14:29:37  Show Profile Send kandajj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, I finally got around to going to pick up this from dmsguild, but I'm now getting a "We're sorry... This title is not available. Here are some other titles you might like" response.

Any idea why that might be? Thanks for suggestions/explanations.

A pity that a question like this finally makes me stop lurking on Candlekeep!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  19:14:32  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. Did something happen for them to pull it down? Is there any other way to get it?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  20:54:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Same here. Did something happen for them to pull it down? Is there any other way to get it?

It was my bad. I put a logo on the cover page that we found out has since been declared verboten. Have just fixed it with a nice legit FR logo and so Eric should be uploading the amended version soon. Apologies folks.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  21:09:38  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

It was my bad. I put a logo on the cover page that we found out has since been declared verboten. Have just fixed it with a nice legit FR logo and so Eric should be uploading the amended version soon. Apologies folks.

-- George Krashos

So now those already downloaded become a collector item, unless they are demanded to be deleted.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  21:37:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I blame the machinations of Jergal. Obviously, his plotting was able to cross planar boundaries and affect Krash's computer...

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  22:37:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I blame the machinations of Jergal. Obviously, his plotting was able to cross planar boundaries and affect Krash's computer...

Jergal is at the root of all evil.

But it's back up and working again.

--
Go to Top of Page

kandajj
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2021 :  22:51:42  Show Profile Send kandajj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks! Have nabbed it straight away this time.

Looking forward to the read.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2021 :  02:06:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kandajj

Hope you all enjoy it.

--
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2021 :  03:06:28  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Jergal is at the root of all evil.

Jergal is a gnome? Now I'm even more confused!

Seriously, tho, this is massive, massive amounts of Lore.

Anyone interested in the "secrets within secrets" that Ed always talk about should give this a go, as it ties together so much history and mentions from so many years of Forgotten Realms products, and manages to produce a unified thru-line that moves and affects the Realms to the present day (definitely up to the end of 3E, at least).

It also makes me want to go back and open up my old sourcebooks to see where these mentions first came from, which is also always a good thing

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2021 :  08:14:14  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kandajj

Hope you all enjoy it.

I just got it, and it is... divine...
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2021 :  19:02:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a really good read. Tons of new lore to play with. Thanks Eric and George! :)
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2021 :  22:11:29  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, you should post the list of source material.....
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  07:29:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Eric, you should post the list of source material.....

Naah, let everyone track down the references like we had to.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  21:35:15  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are a cruel taskmaster George Krashos. I see why you and Eric work so well together. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  10:48:39  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent work, Eric and George.

This is the first product I have bought in years - and it ties into what I think will be my final D&D campaign.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  21:48:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you are enjoying it!

--
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  20:16:17  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was such a good read. My purchasing of new material is down to little or nothing these days but I'm glad I snagged this one.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2021 :  20:35:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite portion of this was this section (hope you don't mind me quoting it George/Eric)

However, the seeds Jergal had sown as a spell weaver, coupled with the separate machinations of the Fair Folk and Issarnathass, led the Netherese to amazing heights of magic. Even the legendary mythallar of the Netherese owe their inspiration to the gigantic magical furnaces of spell weaver Nodes.

I also wonder if the Arcane maybe stole some knowledge in developing these helms, and it might be an interesting "secret" if some of the power acquired by using these helms is shunted to spellweaver colonies. See below.

The furnace is an early form of spelljamming helm that still sees occassional use. Instead of taking magical energy directly from living beings, the Furnace takes it from magical items that are fed into it and subsequently destroyed.

Generally, for every 1,000xp an item is worth, the furnace will function for one week at Ship's Rating 2. This, naturally, can very quickly become an expensive way of powering a ship. Adding a second item simultaneously can increase the Ship's Rating to 3, but risks exploding the Furnace (25% chance), causing 10-100 points of damage in a 30ft radius.

Most Furnaces are found on ghost ships and crashed hulks. As a result of the fire of the furnace, they can be used only within Crystal Spheres. Used in the Phlogiston, they will explode, catastrophically. There is rumor that they may have been developed by the Arcane.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000