Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Non-adventuring magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  03:31:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A thought I just had for a minor magical item: an image stone. It's a gemstone, maybe 50gp in value, that has a single magical image. The image can be conjured maybe three times a day. It's a still image, maybe 6 inches to a foot in height, in full color but just transparent enough that no one could mistake it for the real thing. Think of it like the holograms used in communications in Star Wars, except it's a still image and it's in full color. (Alternatively, it could be a short, silent loop, maybe like a 10 or 15 second animation - a magic gif!)

Image stones are frequently used by mages and/or wealthy people that have to spend time away from their loved ones.

Having shared that, I want to see what other people can think up. The parameters are that the magic can't be something used in combat, and is something that offers no more utility than a minor convenience -- like the spell Darsson's Cooling Breeze, from the 2E Shining South book, that gently moves air in a small area -- it's a magic ceiling fan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Feb 2021 03:32:22

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  03:57:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Don't remember if it is in a sourcebook or if it was a reply from Ed (think it was a reply), but there is a style of Elven cooking that involves basically magical whisking of the ingredients in the air.

-I would assume that, while not necessarily detailed, those kinds of things are the most common uses of magic in the world. Adventurers, great heroes, evil villains, they're in the minority and when you zoom out, the world is mostly populated by boring people living relatively plain lives. Magic or magical items with everyday applications would be most appealing to them (assuming it can be afforded).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 12 Feb 2021 03:59:20
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  07:26:10  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Presdigitation for all the times your wizard wants to wear a top hat and an opera cape.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  07:31:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Episode 15 or 16 of the mages and sages podcast mentions a few more mundane uses of magic, particularly elven ones

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  14:50:54  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have all kinds of stuff:
Thander's Conserving Cube: preserves food without changing temperature
Dini's Delightful Disk: maintains the temp in a room/small building
Rodushan's Renewing Rations: provides food and water

Spells:
Traveler's Boon: magically removes body wastes from one or more people. No more "why didn't you go before we left"? Can be cast on horseback so you don't have to waste time on "potty breaks".
Canlinnia's Mouse: creates a "mouse" that seeks out items of value in a room. (created by a mage/thief)

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  15:05:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple other ideas I've had:

A pipe with a command word to ignite whatever's in the bowl -- or to immediately extinguish anything already burning in the bowl

A palanquin that levitates, instead of requiring bearers.

Go to Top of Page

TKU
Learned Scribe

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  18:03:29  Show Profile Send TKU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apparently there's a cantrip...I think it was... for hair growth. There's a drow wizard in WotSQ who used it to grow a full dwarven-esque beard.

Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one for hair growth inhibition/shaving as well-popular in Thay, I'd think.

Edited by - TKU on 12 Feb 2021 20:21:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  19:36:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a self-heating pan or stew pot
a self-heating iron for clothes

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  21:55:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TKU

Apparently there's a cantrip...I think it was... for hair growth. There's a drow wizard in WotSQ who used it to grow a full dwarven-esque beard.

Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one for hair growth inhibition/shaving as well-popular in Thay, I'd think.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Hairy

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  22:24:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1E had plenty of "useless" cantrips. To clean up a messy room, to change your hairstyle, to do your makeup, to make your clothes smell clean. Four cantrips equalled a first level spell slot, every wizard knew a few and some wizards collected a vast library of them. 2E initially did away with the idea (introducing the generic 1st level cantrip spell to replace them all), then (re)introduced cantrips along with orisons, then suggested numerous ways to combine cantrips with various nonweapon proficiencies for performing "useful" sleight of hand and stage trick sorts of stuff.

2E also had plenty of "useless" cantras. To knead the dough for baking, to sort and sharpen the chisels at your workbench, to fix squeaky shoes. Most common citizens of Netheril and Halruaa could invent and cast a few cantras uniquely suited to their interests or to assist them with their daily job chores.

Netheril had an abundance of quasi-magical items which were basically described as all the sorts of convenient (and disposable) consumer devices we have today (or that we had in the 1980s, anyhow). I imagine things like home lighting, hot and cold water taps, ice cube dispensers, doorbell chimes, magical padlocks, bard in a box, speaking books, food packaging.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  19:32:18  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Dragon full of those things? And to lesser degree, Polyhedron?
Specifically for image recording... considering the existence of Kings Tears, if imitation is at all possible, someone did this.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  20:13:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, have we ever seen anything like "a musical instrument that plays whatever written music is put on the stand in front of it"?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2021 :  22:35:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Wasn't Dragon full of those things? And to lesser degree, Polyhedron?
Specifically for image recording... considering the existence of Kings Tears, if imitation is at all possible, someone did this.

Kings Tears are a separate thing. There are similarities, indeed, but kings tears are unbreakable, of unknown origin, you have to look into them to see the image (which can also be lands, dream scenes, or battles), and they have additional magical properties, in the right circumstances.

My image stones just project an image. They're actually inspired by message plates, which were in the old AD&D comic and in Cormyr: A Novel.

As I described them to my DM the other day, it's a magical version of a locket with a picture in it.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2021 :  03:28:02  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have Fitzmilliyun's Spectral Advisor. It is basically a jedi holocron that lets someone speak with a copy of Fitzmilliyun. He gives advice on spell research, item enchantment, etc. If the user is a gnome, he is as helpful as he can be otherwise the cube gets a reaction roll and that determines just how helpful he is.

The Advisor can also tie into Fitzmilliyun's Phantom Library. You can store books in it. LOTS of books. So, Fitz can look up whatever he wants pretty quickly. He stored his entire research library in it before he died so he has quite a few works that can't be found elsewhere.

I had these two items as the great treasure left in the Castle of Illusion. Fitz made it to where only a gnome would be able to make it through the traps and puzzles alive and sane.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2021 :  05:04:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There might be a spell in the write-up of Sharess that's completely inappropriate, if you think about it.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 18 Feb 2021 05:06:30
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2021 :  10:54:35  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably worth noting that magic items like these are /the/ defining trait of Eberron.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2021 :  15:32:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

There might be a spell in the write-up of Sharess that's completely inappropriate, if you think about it.

I firmly believe that the verbal component of excessive indulgence is DOENT STAWP repeated thrice and with vigour, while intensify sensation seems to be just a deep low moan from the diaphragm.

That being said, I never really thought of Sharess as a goddess of "Fairy Godmothers", but Kiss of Sharess would be a fun spell for use with younger children if you're gaming with your own kids and they're early or pre-teen years. That spell would very much fit in the repertoire of Lliira as well. I like how it grants the wish of someone for a night, but they aren't allowed to state what their wish is (so its very much a spell that searches their latent desires). That being said, that spell used with an adult..... yeah...

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 18 Feb 2021 15:32:36
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2021 :  16:34:50  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it, "Wand of Portraiture". It's even on FR wikia.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2021 :  03:09:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Found it, "Wand of Portraiture". It's even on FR wikia.

That's a good basis for my image stones. I might even rename them portrait stones and say that dude invented them.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2021 :  12:25:58  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot, there's another way of recording images. Cheaper, but unreliable (in the raw form, at least).
quote:
Clelophane: Clelophane is the exceptionally beautiful pale green variety of sphalerite (a rock called zincblende or blackjack).
This semiprecious stone yields transparent gemstones of green flash (color-play reflection) and unusually large size. Faceted spec-
imens 3 inches across have been cut. Clelophane is, however, soft and fragile, and such gemstones wear quickly.
The only known magical property of this gemstone is the "echo effect": If a spell is cast by or on a being wearing, touching, or carry-
ing a clelophane, that gemstone is 70% likely to record a still and silent mental three-dimensional image of the being, their surround-
ings, and the situation. This image is in turn 70% likely to obliterate any and all previous echoes recorded by the stone; otherwise, a new
image is added to any previously recorded images. Such echoes can be called forth repeatedly from the stone by grasping it and mentally
willing them to appear. They manifest beside the stone, visible for all to see, and are slightly luminous (in other words, they can be seen in
the dark and even used as a very dim light source by those lost in darkness); such echo displays last for 3 rounds.
Echoes can be called up as often as desired and persist until replaced, even if hundreds of years pass. They are always of per-
fect lighting and sharp clarity, even if the original situation was confusing or obscured, and the scene they originally record fills a
10-foot-radius globe centered on the stone, appearing in at a similar size next to the stone when replayed.
- Volo's Guide to All Thigs Magical (Raw Materials: Gemstones)

Edited by - TBeholder on 21 Apr 2021 12:27:35
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2021 :  16:13:40  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I have all kinds of stuff:
Thander's Conserving Cube: preserves food without changing temperature
Dini's Delightful Disk: maintains the temp in a room/small building
Rodushan's Renewing Rations: provides food and water

Spells:
Traveler's Boon: magically removes body wastes from one or more people. No more "why didn't you go before we left"? Can be cast on horseback so you don't have to waste time on "potty breaks".
Canlinnia's Mouse: creates a "mouse" that seeks out items of value in a room. (created by a mage/thief)

I introduced something similar to Traveller's Boon in the play-by-post I'm currently running. And I hijacked the name of a prominent Longsaddle family to do it (because I'm lazy, and because their first name starts with "H").

Harpell's Hygenic Hoop: This unpretentious pinky ring of polished blue wood (which, curiously, can be worn in addition to the normally allowed number of magical finger rings) is enchanted to convert bodily waste, as well as sweat, grime, and any other non-debilitating impurities that come in contact with the skin (thus, it is useless against such things as contact poison).

Once daily (at a time chosen by the wearer), it produces a small pile of blue granules with the texture and consistency of fine beach sand, that is approximately equal to the amount of matter that would otherwise have been produced in the normal fashion. This "sand" is wholly mundane, and cannot be used for spell components that require actual sand (such as a sleep spell). It does, however, make superb fertilizer.

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 22 Apr 2021 01:23:42
Go to Top of Page

NonProphetApostle
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2021 :  02:51:35  Show Profile Send NonProphetApostle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I put this up on Reddit a while ago, I still need to simplify the wording:

Scrivener's Chariot (2nd level ritual spell, 8 hour duration):

You Draw an arcane sigil on the ground surrounding a small dollhouse toy desk, which expands into a flimsy wooden platform with short animate legs, atop it is a stool and a small place to write.

The spellcaster can sit on the stool and command the platform to move forward, the walking desk can follow a path, but will pause at every turn and wait for direction, if an obstacle blocks the way or a skill check would be required to follow the path, the desk waits 1 round and then attempts the check, but always fails.
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2021 :  13:02:56  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A scroll I made on the "Running the Realms" side of the forum detailed a bunch of "non-adventuring" magic items. Some were my own invention, but most were picked up from around the internet in discussion forums like this one and then "realms-ified."

quote:
Originally posted in Art Objects of Faerun

Tosscobble's Shop Stall; This bundle of boards, poles, and canvasses is heavy and awkward but still tightly packed for as easy of movement as 50 lbs of long and stiff material can be. Putting the bundle on the ground and standing back, the user speaks a command word and the items unbundle and magically assemble in a flurry of activity to form a small hut raised on short stilts with a large window sized for small humanoids to use comfortably. Another command word disassembles the hut into individual components but the owner must manually pack the pieces into a portable bundle. Every tenday that the hut is assembled there is a 10% chance (+5% for every cumulative tenday) that the magic fades and the hut assembly is permanent. These items were the brainchild of Jesse Tosscobble when his brother Roscoe's sawmill suffered a glut of wood and had been stuck with payments in material of tarps from his last customer. The shop stalls are used by traveling halflings to help peddle their wares and services in new locations.
Faint Transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Levitate, Craft (Woodwork) or Profession (Carpenter); Value: 251gp 9sp 5cp Weight: 90 lbs.
Image: http://www.rhjunior.com/eng/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/npc00044.png

Halarahhan Bright Poster; The item appears to be a tin rod 6" long that tapers to a brass bead at one end. When a command word is spoken, the user may trace in the air and the tracings will appear as brightly colored lettering in the air. The tracings blaze brightly day or night without casting any actual light but will fade from view after nine hours elapses. Tracing in space takes great concentration (Perform (paint) or Profession (limner) DC10) and up to ten minutes to be intelligible to viewers with many corrections. These items did not originate in the capital of Halruaa but were widely used in that bustling city of commerce and convinced many travelers that Halarahh was their point of origin.
Faint Illusion; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Minor Image, Perform (paint) or Profession (limner); Value: 93gp 3sp 2cp

Notice Board; The item appears to be a flat, square wooden object 3'x4' of four boards nailed together and with two rope hoops at one end. When a command word is spoken, the user may trace with his finger on the surface of the board and the tracings will appear engraved on the wooden sign. The engraving will fill in without a trace when nine hours elapses.
Faint Universal; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Prestidigitation; Value: 32gp 4sp Weight: 10 lbs.

Puttees of Graceful Stepping; The long strips of colored, heavy wool are meant to be wrapped around the ankle and calf of the leg to provide bracing for the joint and protection from the elements for those who wear low shoes like sandals. The wearer of these wrappings gets a +2 competence bonus to Performance (Dance). If the wearer is in the presence of dancing music and is not taking a move equivalent action (standing or sitting still) there is a 2 in 6 chance that he must make a DC11 Will Save or start dancing for a single round.
Faint Enchantment; CL 4th; Craft Wondrous Item, Cat's Grace; Value: 243 gp

Wand of Rainbow Orbs; These small, hollow reeds are sometimes sold at fairs to the families of the nobility and affluent merchants. A child would blow into one end and colored bubbles would come out the other. For up to an hour, the child may continue to create bubbles of desired colors and even connect the up to 1" bubbles into shapes so long as the user continues to blow into the reed. An action must be taken every round to blow into the reed or the bubbles already created will pop and disappear. Reeds rarely have more than 1 charge.
Faint Universal; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Prestidigitation; Value: 4sp 8cp

Caitiff's Cloak of Evermeet; Full circle cloaks with fur lined hood and intricate embroidery. The smooth cloth of these beautiful cloaks never fade or lose their color The shimmering threads are made from magically altered mayfly silk, are completely unaffected by all types of energy, and are extremely durable. The wearer is still vulnerable but the cloak does confer a +1 circumstantial bonus to saves versus energy attacks. Every cloak was unique and a mark of fashion and affluence amongst elven nobility until an event caused their sudden disappearance from the public over 1000 years ago. These cloaks were made by "Malar's Tailor," a moon elf whose name was purged from all written records of Evermeet because his acts of child murder, butchery, cannibalism, and necrophilia were more shocking than the revelation that the tailor was a wererat.
Strong Abjuration; CL 15; Craft Wondrous Item, Stoneskin, Hardening, Eagle's Splendor, Protection from Energy; Value: 59085 gp

Bells of the Endless Revel; This two-piece dress consists of a light-green chemise and a green skirt. The open-front pleated skirt gradually gets longer as it continues around to the back. The long chemise has a black-trimmed neckline, long green trim loose sleeves, and metal rings weighing down the bottom and rhythmically clinking together with every subtle movement of the wearer. These weights are pitched to specific notes when struck together allowing a skilled dancer to create her own music. A wearer must possess Performance (Dance) and Profession (Bell Dancer) to use this garment as a musical instrument. The wearer is -2 to Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Swim, & Tumble, and -10 to Move Silently. These dresses originate in Tethyr with troupes of performing dancers touring Sharess festhalls.
Faint Illusion; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Ghost Sound, Perform Rank 5; Value: 97gp 2sp Weight: 15 lbs.

Flower Token: Pillow; A pressed dried flower of red petals, a Red Dragon flower common to the North. The flower is activated when thrown onto the ground. When contacting the ground it converts into a normal, soft pillow. The pillow is 3'x3'x9" and is useful for both sitting and sleeping which will last for 7 hours.
Moderate Conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, Minor Creation; Value: 16gp 8sp

Flower Token: Outhouse; A pressed dried flower of long yellow petals, a Beehaven native to the Heartlands. The flower is activated when thrown onto freshly dug ground. When contacting the ground it converts into a 4'x4'x7' pine outhouse with swinging door which will last for 20 hours.
Moderate Conjuration; CL 20th; Craft Wondrous Item, Minor Creation; Value: 48 gp

Flower Token: Wardrobe; A pressed dried flower of round white petals, a Selune's Bloom found in the North. The flower is activated when thrown onto the ground. When contacting the ground it converts into a 3'x2'x6' cedar wood wardrobe which will last for 9 hours.
Moderate Conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Wondrous Item, Minor Creation; Value: 21gp 6sp

Sunshield Hood; Wool hood with dag-patterned drape meant to be worn on the head and shoulders but also may be folded into a chaperone hat. When worn, the wearer does not suffer from sunburn or any ill effects from sun exposure. Other sources of heat will cause the wearer to suffer normally.
Faint Abjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Endure Elements; Value: 500 gp

Unspillable Goblet; The pewter drinking vessel is a short-stem goblet with a flaring bell-shaped lip. When this goblet is filled with liquid it may not be spilled no matter how the goblet is orientated. All liquid will stay inside the chalice, even if it is turned upside down. The holder may drink from the goblet normally.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Floating Disk; Value: 240 gp

Coiffer's Looking Glass; A standing bronze mirror with a round base. The base and frame of the mirror are both heavily decorated with flowing leaf designs while two little cherubs decorate the edges of the mirror. This magic mirror shows images as if it were placed on the exact opposide side of an object than the side it is really on (i.e. looking directly into it gives you a view of the back of your head).
Faint Divination; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance; Value: 1800 gp

Coastman's Fisherpole; A three foot cane reed wrapped with flax thread and tapering to split point. When tied with a fishing line, the user can name a specific kind of mundane aquatic creature common to the region. Within minutes three of the named aquatic creatures occupy the waters nearby the user one such creature bites on the line. The remaining two are likely to be hooked with appropriately baited or lured lines on a DC10 Survival or or DC 8 Profession Fisher check. Rangers of the Sword Coast make and sell these items as part of their guided expeditions to fishing spots.
Faint Conjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, Summon Nature's Ally I, Survival or Profession Fisher 5; Value: 921gp 6sp

Amruthan Tub; Crafted in Amruthar of white marble quarried in Thay's Lapendrar tharch and exported to order, this large tub will hold up to two Medium creatures, assuming they're willing to be cozy. Upon command, twice per day, it will fill with any temperature of water desired, provided the temperature is safe for a normal person. (I.e., no boiling water.) If any water is removed from the tub, it disappears, which obviates the need for towels. The marble tub is mundanely 4500gp (3gp per pound of marble).
Faint XXX; CL XXX; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water, Prestidigitation; Value: 324 gp Weight: 1500 lbs.

Headband of Revelation; A copper circlet with an embossed pattern of swoops and points. This item usually appears as a normal headband of intellect. When worn, however, it renders the area of the skull above the circlet transparent, such that the brain and blood vessels of the crown are easily visible in their workings. The headband is not cursed in any fashion, and can easily be removed. The wearer may concentrate (requiring a Knowledge Anatomy DC10 skill check) to alter what is rendered invisible from just the hair all the way to a cross-section at the level of the circlet.
Faint Illusion; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Knowledge Anatomy, Invisibility; Value: 648 gp

Ring of Encroaching Danger; These rings are attuned to a specific kind of creature (e.g., orcs, black dragons, fire giants, and so on). To grant the wearer its benefit, this ring must have been worn for at least 24 hours. The ring grants a competence bonus of +10 on Knowledge checks of the sort appropriate to the creature type to which the ring is attuned. It also permits such Knowledge checks to be made normally by the wearer, even if untrained. However, while worn (even within the 24 hour period) the ring, if within 200 feet of the appropriate creature type, rings loudly and continuously, like a struck chime.
Faint XXX; CL XXX; Craft Wondrous Item, Warning Shout, Appropriate Knowledge Skill, ; Value: 17,800 gp

Cliffride Bedroll; Appearing as a canvas bedroll with leather straps and metal buckles, it has a wool blanket stitched into it, and a mattress filled with down. This item permits the user to sleep in Light or Medium armor, similar to the Endurance feat. However, waking the user requires vigorous shaking by another character as a full-round action or, if there is loud noise, the user make a DC 25 Listen check. If the character's sleep was interrupted and he was not allowed to complete his sleep within an hour then he suffers fatigue for the rest of the day. This item was made by junior instructors at the college of New Olamn in Waterdeep to gift their best students of the Valor teachings but were also available for sale to alumni.
Faint Enchantment; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, Feat:Endurance, Sleep; Value: 900 gp

Mask of Repose; This semi-rigid mask of buffed hide covers the eyes and bridge of the nose. While worn, they induce a state of drowsiness in the subject, making it easier for them to fall asleep. This gives the subject a -2 Will save vs Sleep spells and sleep type effects, including bypassing elven immunities, but doesn't induce sleep on its own.
Faint Enchantment; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, Calm Emotion, Sleep; Value: 2,880 gp

Broom of the Apprentice; This straw-brushed short-broom (30" high) will automatically sweep the floor of up to six contiguous rooms over the course of 1 hour, gathering the detritus in a neat pile in one corner. The broom only activates once each day. The broom may be given instructions for when to activate and where to begin, path to follow, and where to sweep the debris when done by holding the room and concentrating (requiring a Spellcraft check DC10).
Faint Conjuration; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Unseen Servant; Value: 64gp 8sp

Comb of Wailing; A comb made of bone with carved, concentric circles decorating the semi-circular handle. A tooth broken from the comb has a special resonance when held be an orc. Whenever he or she is in mortal danger, the comb will hum. If that orc dies, the comb will bleed. A typical comb has 40 teeth. These items are specialties of Luthic's matron priestesses. Prized among the she-orcs, these items let them know the fates of their mates and children before word reaches their homes allowing the wives and mothers to both grieve and seek alliances to overcome losses of status in the tribes.
Faint Divination; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Status, Orc Blood; Value: 100 gp 8 sp

Sharindlar's Darklight Ring; This silvery jewelry is of two crossed rings forged together. When worn the wearer's shadow turns the color of moonlight. This renders the shadow invisible in daylight or well lit areas, but conversely, it glows in darkness. These were items long crafted by the Thalornor of Sharindlar as symbols of love bonding between two who must part. The lit shadow in the darkness is a reminder to the wearer that they are not truly alone.
Faint Evocation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Light, enhance Cha+4; Value: 120 gp

Tear Ring; The etched hoof design of this oxidized brass ring is crudely craft but has a sculpted cuff style more in common with the fashions coming from the Old Empires on the Sea of Fallen Stars' Southern shores. Though a magic ring, it is a woman's ring that allows the wearer to cry on command, 5 times per day magically creating up to a gallon of salty water.
Faint conjuration; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water; Value: 108 gp

Band of Broken Words; This ring has three bands of metal forged into a single piece. Each band has lettering and symbols that are recognizable as ancient alphabets of Dethek, Thorass, and Imasker. The wearer can only speak gibberish that interferes with all verbal abilities including spellcasting. The wearer also cannot understand any spoken language including his native tongue. No amount of linguistic ability can make sense of the random sounds; however, two wearers of these rings may freely communicate if they have a common language. The origin of these rings is unknown.
Faint Divination; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Message, Comprehend Language; Value: 270 gp

Fury's Flame Ring; This obviously magical item appears to be a loop of pure flame and may be handled or worn comfortably like a ring. It has no special powers (providing no heat or light), but it looks impressive. Devils are oddly inquisitive about the ring and more likely to parley with the wearer, often showing a special interest in talking to the character. These items were made by the Lords of the Tempest, a religious order dedicated to Talos, but the members themselves do not wear them and their purpose is unknown.
Faint Conjuration; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Rebuke/Command Fire Creatures, Create Water; Value: 120 gp

Ring of Hair Growth; Three thick strands of black lion’s mane are inserted amidst channels of twisted gold and topped with a decorative gold insignia. This ring will slowly return growing hair follicles to the scalp of the wearer over the period of several months. This restoration is not permanent and requires the ring to be continuously worn or the hair will wither and fall out in as many days as it took months to grow back.
Strong Conjuration; CL 13; Craft Wondrous Item, Regenerate; Value: 10820 gp

Ring of Watershed; The dome profile surface of the ring is raw and unfinished. Streaked through the black zirconium ring is a vein of natural copper that runs the circumference of the ring. The rings power is activated by an arcanist who wears it. The wearer instantly sheds all water that is currently wetting him. It only works on a thin film of specifically water but immersion overcomes the ring's power. The theory is that the ring links a portal of return to the elemental plane of water.
Faint conjuration; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, Create Water; Value: 16 gp 8 sp

Ring of Speak Language +2 (lesser); A two part armor ring made from ornate copper filigree formed to wrap the wearer's finger comfortably. The main and knuckle bands are connected with copper plated steel chain. The chain joining the two pieces of the ring may be removed allowing two people to each wear a piece. The combined ring freely translates the oral languages of Netherese and Auld Thorassic but separately one translates from Netherese to Auld Thorassic and the other from Auld Thorassic to Netherese.
Faint illusion; CL 3; Craft Wondrous Item, ghost sound, speak language Auld Thorassic, speak language Netherese; Value: 72 gp

Blath's Iron Cat;A cunningly articulated clockwork kitten that, when wound, behaves in most respects like a normal cat of a few months age including rambunctious play and "sleeping," for 10 minutes. If ever wound more than once per day, the clockwork kitten will, if possible, desert the one who wound it by simply attempting to "run away. If it's unable to leave its owner on the day it is overwound, its behavior reverts to normal. The winding activates a power that summons the spirit of a deceased kitten to power the device.
Faint Necromancy; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, Summon Undead I; Value: 18gp 2sp 4cp

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2021 :  13:56:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Troutman's cage of cricket summoning - once a day, this small tube made of wire mesh and capped on both ends by a leather stopper can be made to summon up to 24 crickets. Originally created by a wizard fond of fishing, these items have become a welcome addition to many pest removal agents, who often use them to generate business. At least one wizard has been known to use these to create treats for their familiar as well. It should be noted that the crickets slain disappear with a pop after several seconds and therefore cannot provide true sustenance, but they produce the sensation of having been eaten. Crickets released from the cage fade away harmlessly after a period of 24 hours.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 May 2021 14:00:36
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2021 :  19:06:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wards (from Wizard's Lock to Wardmist and Waethra's Warm Welcome) and permanent effects like Sammaster's Spellcaster etc are too clumsy for combat.
Material reinforcement (Merald's Meld, Veladar's Vambrace, Glassteel) and other spells useful mostly in equipment creation? Obar's Lesser Purification?
Teleport Object... not tactically useless, but very situational.

Of the minor effects, there are Moonfire, Moonglow and other fancy illumination spells.
Train Vegetation? (from Cult of the Dragon) EIN uses it for ship maintenance, and it can be useful for light fortifications, but mostly just building The Proper Elfy Way and other forms of fancy gardening.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000