Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaign: The Secret of the Silver Marches
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cadarius
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2021 :  09:20:55  Show Profile Send Cadarius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, dear sages of Candlekeep,

About me:
I'm from Germany and for 25 years I'm a big fan of the Forgotten Realms. After I was able to experience a childhood dream last year - to participate as a player in a one-shot with Ed Greenwood as the game master and George Krashos, Steven Schend, Eric Boyd and other wonderful enthusiasts of the realms (plus, I survived!) - I have been increasingly interested to write my own, "Lore-Heavy" campaign for myself as well as my gaming group.

Although I've been reading a lot about the realms for so long, I still, or growingly, feel like I've only scratched the surface of what I can know. Worse, in the corner I come from, Dungeon / Dragon magazines were a rarity and a large portion of the many novels were never translated into German. That's why I'm just now discovering so many new things, but nonetheless have many other age related obligations, which is why I would be very happy to have your support in my endeavor.

Backstory of the campaign:
I want to write a campaign based on the 5th edition rules in the north in the region of Luruar, starting in the year 1494 DR. My goal is to incorporate the background stories of the players very heavily into the narrative of the story. In order for me to better control this the players will be starting as 8 year old children in a village experiencing their youth together until the age of 18 - thus bringing them from level 0 to level 1.

Thus, all the player characters are born in 1486 DR. The parents are all refugees from the War of the Silver Marches 1484/85 and want to rebuild the village of Hilltop together. The players cannot determine their parents - this is done by me as the game master, by which I invent the backstory of the parents' houses and hide plot hooks in them, which should be either important in the campaign or drive the players to explore the region.

The goal of the campaign "The Secret of the Silver Marches":
I thought it would make sense to let you know what the grand scale of the campaign is about – my real “question” comes further down below!

To create a plot within the campaign I use the „Sentence“ from Guy Sclanders (HowtobeagreatGM) : Someone wants something by a specific time but is having difficulty getting it using X because of Y".

Right now, this sentence would read as follows:

Lolth wants to destroy the region of Luruar as revenge for the lost war of the Silver Marches of 1485 TZ by levitating the city of Silverymoon on the 20th of Ches in the year 1505 [The year is changeable, though] using Nether artifacts, crashing it onto Mithril Hall and destroying the dwarves living deep in the earth with deadly gas.

[I am aware that Silverymoon would not fly as a whole due to the Mythals. BUT big chunks of it could indeed rip off the city. Even though these fragments cannot get too deep into the earth to destroy the dwarven fortress, they could tear through the surface, breaching into the upper corridors. Then using a ritual to release the arsenic naturally in all gold-bearing ore into a deadly gas, the drow would then create a whirlwind spell to drill down from the surface into Mithril Hall, flooding the dwarf city and killing everyone with the gas. - this is not my idea, but comes from a grand sage!]

But that is the grand scheme. First off, we have the young player characters!

My first question would be, and I would be insanely happy to hear your ideas - and thank everyone who has put up with my ramblings up to this point -, what kind of adventures children aged 8 could have in the Forgotten Realms as well as the region around Hilltop? Basically, the adventures [four are planned, 1494, 1496, 1500, 1502] should on the one hand reflect the typical aspects of a child / adolescent in the Realms, so that the players of the gaming group get to know their characters better among each other [playing together as children, exploring in the woods, first great love, working as children in rural villages... I also want to include another children gang as youngster villains], on the other hand also bring relevant lore (the War, language, customs...) closer without boring the players. What is “typical” for the Realms as a young person; what should or would dwarven children be confronted with, elven children, halflings and humans?

Once the player characters reach the age of 18, they will have to go out into the region of Luruar [here I still lack the bright idea why they should do that. But I'm not even that far yet either], when they reach "level 3" even start an apprenticeship in Silverymoon to achieve their "archetype". But that's something for a later discussion.

So if you have any ideas [and also constructive feedback and criticism], I would be very happy to hear from you. Of course I'll make the whole campaign available for free, if someone likes the idea and wants to play it!

Thanks a lot
Cadarius

P.S.: I have to admit I am really nervous posting this, because I suspect myself knowing nothing and everyone reads this looking at the screen like this:
So if my topic is absolutely stupid, dear admins, feels free to delete it! I really would not want to be a nuisance!

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2021 :  21:43:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Idea for an adventure for 8 year olds: A faerie dragaon from the nearby woods stole the favorite toy of one of the characters little sister. He/She gathers his/her friends to go find that meanie faerie dragon and get the toy back. No combat necessary and it would give you a chance to build up and pass on some lore about the area. Make it really feel like the character's home.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2021 :  09:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Many thanks for posting this, Cadarius. A particular area which always interests me.
Please don't feel nervous. These kind of posts are what make Candlekeep interesting and i'll look forward to seeing how it grows. It certainly won't be deleted, fear not.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2021 :  17:07:41  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some ideas for the other age adventures:

10 yo: maybe something based on the Goble of Fire from Harry Potter. In this case, it is a contest put together by the village elders and the tradesmen to see which kid in the village has an aptitude towards what trade or function for the village. The contest would encourage teamwork and would allow the characters to utilize their "talents" that would indicate who will grow up to be what (high STR = fighter, high DEX = thief, etc.) This would also let you introduce the opposing team of "villains".

When the kids are in the 14 yo and 16 yo adventures, they would most likely be apprentices at this point for their respective classes. At that point, it could be their masters sending them off to deliver some crafted item(s) or to get some uncommon resource(s).

As for why someone would go adventuring, there are all kinds of reasons. Some examples are: good people that grew up in a shady town like Westgate or Proskur could decide they needed to leave to get away from the evil there, someone's family was killed by enemies unknown so they went on the run to stay alive, there was a war the character was drawn into prior to reaching their majority and now they don't fit in with the military/guard now that the war is over, or they were actually yanked away from their lives because of someone drawing a Knight card from a deck of many things and then immediately dying thereafter (this would really only work for fighters but there COULD be other cards for the other classes--i.e. a Wizard card for an arcane caster).

That last one I have used twice for NPCs. One of them kinda remembers their life before being pulled by the card but there is no emotional references for those memories so there is no urge to rejoin family or old friends. The second one was caught on their own by some monsters and was sure to die when the card pulled them out of that situation. That left the NPC believing it was Tempus that saved his life because he has something important to do and that belief is the basis for the loyalty the NPC feels for the card drawer because that is what his god would want him to do.

Edit: The thought occurred to me after I typed this up is that the Knight card would be an excellent way to introduce Warforged into a campaign. In that case, the card doesn't pull anyone from anywhere. The card CREATES the Warforged on the spot.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 05 Feb 2021 17:32:45
Go to Top of Page

Cadarius
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2021 :  18:15:28  Show Profile Send Cadarius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Some ideas for the other age adventures:

10 yo: [...]

Oh boy, thats really great, thank you so much! The goblet of fire adventure is great, as I could see them doing something like this at an early stage and they would find something (not the goblet, hidden by the elders) which could trigger a later plot element of the story! I also like the aspect that, with the age of 14+, they'd begin to work as apprentices within the community. I have to keep this in mind as wel, also I really like the fairy dragon at an early stage stealing the kids favorite playing item (which they have already made. Meet Timmin, a wooden block with an carved, smiling face]

I thought about something like "Having a summer at a small, local lake with their love(s) of their youth" and then something bad happens. For example have an evil creature lurk in the lake (came there in spring when noone was around and now it dwells under water), so this could be a horror based adventure. Also, if something bad happens, the (future) cleric and paladin characters could have their first experience with the favor of their deities. But I am not fully aware if a god would lend a character any powers at this age, though it could be a "I grant you the power to heal someone, if you spend your life serving me" moment. Or the party warlock encounters his patron this way...

Considering the "why someone would go adventuring", I thought about having an attack against the village, in which the then 18 yo PCs defend their houses. This could lead the village elders to rethink their ideas of having them as regular members of the community, but some home base militia prospects. Maybe like "Under Illefarn Anew", this could make them members of the village guard.
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2021 :  19:43:17  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just as a suggestion, but you might want to rethink what an appropriate age is for a person to be entering their majority. Our modern notions of 18+ year olds as being recognized as adults is a recent invention. Case in point, I was having a very unrelated political argument with a gentlemen whose grandparents were married at age 15 on the 13000 acre ranch they claimed & built together. You might want to think about what the rites of adulthood are in a fantastical albeit insanely dangerous Forgotten Realms and have that as an achievable goal or point of an adventure. You also might want to have the players help craft the important (to them) NPCs of the village to ensure they have actual connections to them that they would care about (i.e., the old bachelor town blacksmith who is also the village militia's master-at-arms and lets the PCs borrow a few weapons when no one else is looking as long as the weapons are returned in good condition or a barren aunt who practically smothers her darling niece/nephew with both attention & discipline but is the first one to come running & tenaciously defend her niece/nephew when they invariably get into trouble). The players need to feel that connection of their characters maturing into this wider world from what has been a safe space where others care for & about them.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Cadarius
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2021 :  09:46:21  Show Profile Send Cadarius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SaMoCon

Just as a suggestion, but you might want to rethink what an appropriate age is for a person to be entering their majority. Our modern notions of 18+ year olds as being recognized as adults is a recent invention. [...]

That's a good point - my question would be do we know what's the canonical answer in the Forgotten Realms? I thought that e.g Florin Falconhand (if that's the English name) and his "party" were around 18 years of age and took that as a proof for my thinking. But I really never thought about that!

quote:

You also might want to have the players help craft the important (to them) NPCs of the village to ensure they have actual connections to them that they would care about [...] The players need to feel that connection of their characters maturing into this wider world from what has been a safe space where others care for & about them.

Excellent thought! I will include this as a downtime aspect in between their youth adventures. Maybe they can craft "their mentor npcs" together, if they decide to let their characters start an apprenticeship at another profession than their parents' profession! Thank you very, very much!! #10084;
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2021 :  17:00:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cadarius

quote:

Just as a suggestion, but you might want to rethink what an appropriate age is for a person to be entering their majority. Our modern notions of 18+ year olds as being recognized as adults is a recent invention. [...]

That's a good point - my question would be do we know what's the canonical answer in the Forgotten Realms? I thought that e.g Florin Falconhand (if that's the English name) and his "party" were around 18 years of age and took that as a proof for my thinking. But I really never thought about that!

There isn't one, really. Different peoples are going to approach that topic differently, and in a lot of cases, it's not going to matter at all unless there is property or titles in play.

As for adventures for 8 year olds... Think of the kinds of things 8 year old kids could and would do. In a village, they're going to have chores, but most of those chores will be simple, safe stuff: herding sheep, various household tasks, maybe gathering firewood or various wild plants. And when they're not doing chores, they'll be playing -- often without adult supervision. That playing may involve running around in a field or climbing trees or "exploring" nearby wild areas...

That's where you can toss in adventures. Maybe they get lost in a cave. Maybe while gathering some plant for a festival, one of them is grabbed by a goblin or orc, and the other kids have to figure out how to free their friend. Maybe the kids find some sort of faerie or wood spirit (like a dryad) that needs help, and it's up to the kids to assist.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2021 :  19:02:21  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As for adventures for 8 year olds... Think of the kinds of things 8 year old kids could and would do. In a village, they're going to have chores, but most of those chores will be simple, safe stuff: herding sheep, various household tasks, maybe gathering firewood or various wild plants. And when they're not doing chores, they'll be playing -- often without adult supervision. That playing may involve running around in a field or climbing trees or "exploring" nearby wild areas...

The stated area is Hilltop with the premise that the village is being rebuilt by refugees. I do not know (nor care) about the events that reshaped the FR but these points tell me that the village was effectively abandoned and there was no civilizing force in the area for years. That means the entire area has reverted to the dominant forces of the Nether Mountains with encroachments by flora, fauna, and barbarians (orcs, hobgoblins, kobolds, etc...). Even if the refugees reestablished the village, they don't exactly have the means to secure the area and put down all the threats that lurk nearby, ergo it is not safe to have the children wander outside of direct adult supervision. Also, we may think of the shepherd as a peaceful & safe job but the shepherd's crook was a weapon to ward off or kill predators (notoriously, wolves) as much as it was a tool to keep up with & mind the flock.

This creates an opportunity to borrow from the fairy tales made famous by the Grimm brothers. A goblin, normally too weak to significantly threaten humans, can attempt to lure a curious bear cub into the village and take advantage of the imminent chaos from an enraged mama bear. A priestess of Loviatar has a secluded redoubt she set up nearby after being cast out of the Lady's Hand Monastery and the new villagers, whom have only caught fleeting glimpses of her before fleeing, believe she is a witch to be avoided. And remember, worgs can talk, so that opens up some new possibilities of these predators attempting to trick & bargain with unwary humanoids. You can even play up aspects of "no one is going to come save you" by having had the village been successfully stalked by a leucrotta that has imitated the cries of children in distress (a twist on "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" story). Maybe an ogrillon has recently become a nuisance by disguising itself as a troll and demanding bribes of food to allow people to pass unmolested on the only road leading out of Hilltop to The Everlund to Sundabar Trail requiring someone to investigate and discover the ruse.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Cadarius
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2021 :  13:13:28  Show Profile Send Cadarius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of you, thank you very much!

So, I am right now collecting, adapting and writing the adventures for the players as children during the various stages of their childhood.

Age 8: As I have actually made them generate their favourite toy as an 8year old, I'll have a fairy dragon steal their toys. They'll have to find him in the nearby woods or at the bottom of the Nether mountains, which is close to the village. Right now I am playing with the idea that Ogres took the toys from the fairy dragon and buried him under some rocks/chased the dragon away. The dragon could offer them his assistance for getting back their toys if one of them promises to gift his/her toy to the fairy dragon in return.

Age 10: The parents of one player (Halflings) are working as "nursery school / pre-school" teachers for the children of the village. One of the "villains" (aka the Rattlesnakes!) tells that he has seen some lights up in the Nether mountains. One halfling parent will tell a story of a chest hidden in the mountains to scare the children. Still, the Rattlesnakes are not frightened and taunt the PCs, telling them that the Rattlesnakes will go find the treasue that night and that the player characters are just a bunch of little whiners, their parents poor losers and that the Rattlesnakes & their parents will become the village leaders. This could lead to a nice Goonies-Style adventure in the mountains. Right now I am thinking of having a reward which the players will find in an abandoned mine, the source of the light. This "reward" might be an artefact that could trigger the events leading to them having to leave the village at a later stage.

Age 14: Being older now I thought the idea of death and loss could be interesting at this point. Also, by now they'll already have to invest some proficency skill points as their apprenticeship will have started - as well as having to think about someone they fancy from the village community, like a first love.

At a balmy summer's night, visiting a nearby lake, one of the children / first loves will suddenly disappear. Hearing the faint cries from afar, I suspect the PCs to go investigate, only finding a leucrotta (idea not totally fixed to the monster. Leucrotta will easily total party kill a bunch of 14 year old children, maybe an extremely high risk at this point! in a chasm. The Leucrotta has knocked out / severely injured the child and the PCs might use the whole terrain to be able to fend off the Leucrotta. Or maybe run and get help. Or die.

Age 16: At this point, the PCs will be almost Lvl 1 characters and I want to them to overcome a really difficult obstacle so that the elders and the parents realize that this particular bond of young adults would serve the village better by becoming the village guards. Remember, the theme is "Solidarity defeats the strongest opponents / fighting side by side beats overwhelming forces", as at a later stage, they'll have to try to reunite the seperated Alliance of the Silver Marches to save Luruar from an invasion. For this one, I am still struggling a bit as I don't want to pull out the old "Village under attack" card, yet it should be something suitable for 16 yo, ~lvl1 characters.

So far my ideas, heavily inspired by your great input! I'll let you know as soon as I have written more and concrete adventures!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2021 :  17:32:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cadarius

All of you, thank you very much!

So, I am right now collecting, adapting and writing the adventures for the players as children during the various stages of their childhood.

Age 8: As I have actually made them generate their favourite toy as an 8year old, I'll have a fairy dragon steal their toys. They'll have to find him in the nearby woods or at the bottom of the Nether mountains, which is close to the village. Right now I am playing with the idea that Ogres took the toys from the fairy dragon and buried him under some rocks/chased the dragon away. The dragon could offer them his assistance for getting back their toys if one of them promises to gift his/her toy to the fairy dragon in return.

I might suggest having them find a clue (e.g. a dwarven runestone). For now it seems quite random. It doesn't actually come into play until much later in the campaign.

quote:

Age 10: The parents of one player (Halflings) are working as "nursery school / pre-school" teachers for the children of the village. One of the "villains" (aka the Rattlesnakes!) tells that he has seen some lights up in the Nether mountains. One halfling parent will tell a story of a chest hidden in the mountains to scare the children. Still, the Rattlesnakes are not frightened and taunt the PCs, telling them that the Rattlesnakes will go find the treasure that night and that the player characters are just a bunch of little whiners, their parents poor losers and that the Rattlesnakes & their parents will become the village leaders. This could lead to a nice Goonies-Style adventure in the mountains. Right now I am thinking of having a reward which the players will find in an abandoned mine, the source of the light. This "reward" might be an artifact that could trigger the events leading to them having to leave the village at a later stage.

Does one of the Rattlesnakes grow up to be a recurring villain as adults? Does something the PCs do motivate that villain to seek revenge (perhaps because he/she completely misinterpreted their actions)?

quote:

Age 14: Being older now I thought the idea of death and loss could be interesting at this point. Also, by now they'll already have to invest some proficiency skill points as their apprenticeship will have started - as well as having to think about someone they fancy from the village community, like a first love.

At a balmy summer's night, visiting a nearby lake, one of the children / first loves will suddenly disappear. Hearing the faint cries from afar, I suspect the PCs to go investigate, only finding a leucrotta (idea not totally fixed to the monster. Leucrotta will easily total party kill a bunch of 14 year old children, maybe an extremely high risk at this point! in a chasm. The Leucrotta has knocked out / severely injured the child and the PCs might use the whole terrain to be able to fend off the Leucrotta. Or maybe run and get help. Or die.

Leucrotta often hunt in packs. Perhaps this is a solitary one that fled its pack because of old age? So it's a dialed down version.

In one campaign, the PCs took the teeth, which I had described as an adamantine bite in CoS:W, and had a metalsmith turn it into a masterwork adamantine dagger.

quote:

Age 16: At this point, the PCs will be almost Lvl 1 characters and I want to them to overcome a really difficult obstacle so that the elders and the parents realize that this particular bond of young adults would serve the village better by becoming the village guards. Remember, the theme is "Solidarity defeats the strongest opponents / fighting side by side beats overwhelming forces", as at a later stage, they'll have to try to reunite the separated Alliance of the Silver Marches to save Luruar from an invasion. For this one, I am still struggling a bit as I don't want to pull out the old "Village under attack" card, yet it should be something suitable for 16 yo, ~lvl1 characters.

What if a message needs to get through during a winter storm and the messenger needs an escort? what if a message doesn't arrive during a winter storm, and the PCs are sent to find out what happened?

quote:

So far my ideas, heavily inspired by your great input! I'll let you know as soon as I have written more and concrete adventures!

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Cadarius
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2021 :  08:37:09  Show Profile Send Cadarius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I might suggest having them find a clue (e.g. a dwarven runestone). For now it seems quite random. It doesn't actually come into play until much later in the campaign.

Do I understand you correctly that the runestone is a clue dropped by the fairy dragon? I personally thought of something that might be too small for the parents of the player characters to recognize (do fairy dragons drop... rainbow colored dust? Maybe a scale?) or even pay attention to, therefore forcing the children to run after the fairy dragon.

Else I might see players taking the runestone to their parents as they might say that little children would seek the help of their parents - and wouldn't a runestone startle parents and make them forbid their children going into the woods then?

But another idea which came to my mind would be to make some mentor character (like the grandmother from the Moana movie) who would encourage the players to go seek their fortune, if they'd present their clues to this NPC.

The idea of having the fairy dragon come back at a later point is great! For the greater setting of the campaign and the recurring theme, they could make a friend (or enemy) early at this stage - I didn't really think of that, thank you!

quote:

Does one of the Rattlesnakes grow up to be a recurring villain as adults? Does something the PCs do motivate that villain to seek revenge (perhaps because he/she completely misinterpreted their actions)?

I am thinking of two possibilities here:

starting situation:
unbeknownst to the (halfling) parent telling the story, some creature lurks in the mountains, either living close to the light or roaming there. This creature created the light the Rattlesnakes saw and made them go venture into the mountains, as the PCs follow. As the grand finale of this adventure, the players and rattlesnakes encounter the creature:

a)the players act to the disfavor of the Rattlesnakes -> this makes the Rattlesnakes become recurring villains, as they leave the path of virtue due to the PCs acting against them. The whole band of Rattlesnakes becomes recurring villains.

b) the players act to the favor of the Rattlesnakes ->
the leader of the Rattlesnakes wants his gang to act up agains the PCs, which leads to the disbanding of the Snakes and the leader become a recurring villain. I could see him becoming a criminal force of the region who wants to assemble might, climb up the corporate ladder (maybe Zhentarims? They could use him to increase their influence in the village in order to get some control over southern Lururar).

quote:

Leucrotta often hunt in packs. Perhaps this is a solitary one that fled its pack because of old age? So it's a dialed down version.

In one campaign, the PCs took the teeth, which I had described as an adamantine bite in CoS:W, and had a metalsmith turn it into a masterwork adamantine dagger.

That's awesome! I will certainly use this, thank you very much!

quote:
What if a message needs to get through during a winter storm and the messenger needs an escort? what if a message doesn't arrive during a winter storm, and the PCs are sent to find out what happened?

I really like this idea! 1502 DR is called the year of the Pox Plague in the Realms Calendar... hm!
Hilltop, now being a fortified community, established a network with the neighbouring communities - Lhuvenhead, Jalanthar, maybe surrounding small nests that pop up close to the Rauvin. This alliance is supposed to be renewed at Midwinter Day (I could drop some lore here for the players), but the messenger from Jalanthar is still missing some days prior to the event. The player characters are send there to investigate only to find the village eerily silent and many villagers struck dead by a plague. This is sparked by a gang of Talona cultists. Random idea that pops up in my head: The Talona cultists started early in the month of Hammer to infest the upstream village of Jalanthar, which buildings are half-buried in the ground. Their plan is to spread a plague which infects the Rauvin and by this the many people living from and with the river. The player characters could solve this, race back to Hilltop where the village elders agree to send them to Lhuvenhead and Everlund in order to warn the other people.

Thank you very, very much for your inspiration and reaching out! I hope my ideas make sense!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000