Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gem magic and older spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gallazius
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  15:22:13  Show Profile Send Gallazius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey there all! Longtime lurker here and huge fan of the realms. I’ve been trying to track down what I believe is an older edition spell to convert in to the game I run on Wednesday nights. We play 5e (yes I know but finding 2e players is quite difficult these days). One of my players had a Transmutstion wizard and wishes to convert his gold to gems of equal value, now I recall a spell being able to do that in older editions and don’t believe there is a current edition spell which does such a thing. Mind you he is not looking to break the economy, merely change his gold into gems for spell component uses. He could go to a bank and convert them but, well they are in the underdark trying to stem a demonic incursion so finding a city that isn’t assailed by hordes of them had been neigh impossible.

While I have a chance I’d also like to thank Ed and the other creators of the realms for their incredible work. It’s been quite the adventure and your work has made it more worthwhile.

Any help at all would be greater appreciated!

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  15:37:26  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only spell I can think of is Glorious Transmutation, a 9th-level spell that turns lead into gold or iron into silver. It's on page 47 of the (2e) Tome of Magic. If there's another spell then I'm not aware of it.

Personally, I'd create a homebrew spell that requires the consumption of at least 10% of the total wealth as a component in the casting (I'd likely go 20%, but no less than 10%). The components would include at least one gemstone of the desired type (consumed) as well with the understanding that the gem(s) created are of equal value to the one lost.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  16:09:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, assuming they're not looking to destroy the economy and it's just a practical thing so that the wizard can not find himself out of luck, I'd let them just do it. Maybe have the roll a bunch of dice, some for no reason and others to determine percentages, and explain that the character had a dream/vision/whatever and thinks he knows how to perform a spell doing just what he is asking, but at a cost (that percentage) like Arcanamach says. He can even name it after himself and be famous like Aganazzar, Mordenkainen, Bigby, Tasha, and all those others.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  19:15:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be interesting if the spell rather than just "changing gold to gems" summoned a creature (like an elemental from the quasi-elemental plane of minerals... like a mineral mephit or mineral elemental maybe). Maybe you feed it the gold and wait a few hours and it "excretes" the gem of a specific type.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Quasi-Elemental_Plane_of_Minerals

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Mineral_quasi-elemental

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Mineral_mephit

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  21:01:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Personally, I'd create a homebrew spell that requires the consumption of at least 10% of the total wealth as a component in the casting (I'd likely go 20%, but no less than 10%). The components would include at least one gemstone of the desired type (consumed) as well with the understanding that the gem(s) created are of equal value to the one lost.

I like this.

Maybe go variable on the amount consumed, too. Instead of a flat 10%, maybe add a d12 in there -- roll between a 1 and a 10, and you add that number. Roll an 11, the consumed amount is a flat 10%. Roll a 12, it jumps to 25%. Or something like that.

I like the variable angle because magic isn't always reliable, and because it means the wizard is taking a chance, every time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000