Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 D&D Tag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2021 :  02:46:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I got an email the other day that listed a bunch of questions, and called it D&D Tag. It seemed to me that it might make a worthy topic, so here are the questions:

1. What was your first D&D character?

2. Which D&D class is your least favorite to play, or do you not want to play?

3. What D&D spell would you most want to have in real life?

4. What’s your favorite D&D monster?

5. What’s your favorite NPC/villain that you’ve encountered/created?

6. Has one of your characters ever died, and what killed them?

7. What's your best natural 20 story?

8. What’s your best natural 1 story?

9. What's the highest level you've ever played a character to?

10. What’s your favorite magical item?

11. If you had an IRL alignment, what would it be?

12. If you had to date one of your characters, which one would you pick?

13. Is there a character you want to play but haven’t had a chance to play yet?

14. Are you a dice goblin, or a dice minimalist?

15. What rule or mechanic have you never quite wrapped your brain around?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2021 :  02:49:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A half-elf thief named Talserin.

Clerics. Suffice it to say, they don't work for me, and I've other reasons to avoid them. Clerics as a class don't bother me; I just won't play one myself.

Cantrips, probably. Or one I dreamed up that targets a car stereo, rendering it incapable of being turned off or the volume turned down, and makes it only play bagpipe music. Not that I'm a huge fan of bagpipe music -- I hate listening to other people's thumping bass and would happily drive them mad with this spell.

Griffons!

Can't say I've encountered any that I liked enough to call them a favorite.

I had a DM that seemed to think a TPK was the best way to deal with his own boredom. Every character I've ever had that died, died under that DM -- and frequently, in really stupid ways, like the time I failed an ability check that I shouldn't have had to make in the first place, and the end result was half the party killing the other half -- IN THE FIRST SESSION!

That would be the time a DM threw a T-Rex at us, thinking we'd go into melee and get chewed up. Instead, my character grabbed his longbow, a piece of string, a vial of what the DM described as "a very strong poison," tied the vial to an arrow, made a called shot to the T-Rex's mouth -- and then rolled a natural 20. I one-shotted a T-Rex!

Is it possible to have a *good* natural 1 story?

My gun mage got to level 12 before the campaign ended.

Official? The wand of misplaced objects from the 2E Tome of Magic. Unofficial? Lady Jerilyn, my gun mage's +1 shocking burst magelock pistol that also had the powers of a lesser empower metamagic rod. (Translation: a magic pistol that could channel spells into bullets whilst giving those bullets an additional electric charge, *and* this pistol could also power up three spells a day)

Neutral Good, with tendencies towards Chaotic Good and the occasional twitch in the direction of True Neutral.

The characters I've played are not my type, when it comes to romance. For NPCs I created, though, there's a couple lady bards and a lady fighter-mage that I would find very appealing, if they were real and I was single.

Many! In particular, though, there was an Archaelogist I came up with for Pathfinder, a Trickster (also for Pathfinder), a Mechanic/Pilot for Starfinder, a Starfinder Technomancer, and most recently, a simple Mage to replace the player that fell out of our ongoing AD&D 2E campaign (worked on him today, in fact).

I fall in the middle. I have many, many dice, but I don't buy in bulk, and I only buy complete polyhedral sets. And I'm picky on those. For each character, I'll pick 2 or 3 polyhedral sets, and use those every session.

Illusions -- the earlier D&D concept that they could damage or even kill you, despite not being real.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 23 Jan 2021 02:50:48
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2021 :  03:28:00  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was so young I don't remember the name; but it was a Fighter.

My least favorite to play is probably Monk. I just don't get into the groove of that mental state; even though in real life I LOVE movies and stuff with fighting monks in them.

Polymorph Any Object (AD&D)...I'm basically the Genie of the Bottle with that spell.

I love Goblins...one of my favorite nasty little gits; but if I have to pick an all time favorite, it will likely be the Red Dragon.

My favorite NPC villain I ever created was named Mirros. I let drop clues that he was a Doppleganger Psionicist/Illusionist; but he was actually a Vampiric Mind Flayer Psionicist/Illusionist.

So many of my characters have died I can't relate them all.

I was DMing a 3.5 D&D game and the party ranger was firing at a Great Wyrm Green Dragon with his magical bow and arrows. He rolled three 20s in a row...dead dragon.

Don't recall any.

Highest was a Magic-User for AD&D that got into 25+ (I know he was at least 25 but I think higher).

I would have to say the Mirror of Mental Prowess from AD&D

I'd like to say Chaotic Good...but some people might say Neutral Evil.

I'm happily married.

I've always wanted to play the Goblin Krutz. A Fighter/Magic-User.

I have the requisite number of Crown Royal bags full of dice.

I don't think there are any I haven't at least made a house rule on.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2021 :  16:28:43  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A human ranger. That was over 40 years ago so I don't remember his name. It may have been Phil O'Dendron

Druid. I am not one much for healer types but it would have to be druid.

Heal. My wife has some health issues and that would fix her right up.

Vampire. When I went through the I6 Ravenloft as a player, our DM did such a perfect job portraying him, he should have won an Oscar.

Strahd. See 4 above.

Oh, yeah. Pit trap.

We had a fighter in our group that seemed to be cursed with always getting bad rolls. But, one time, he rolled two natural 20s in a row. That drow never knew what hit him.

That same fighter from 7 above. He hit himself so hard, he almost killed himself on the spot. After that, he found a Ring of No Death to compensate for the player's horrible luck at rolling dice.

Depends. Going for power, I loved the staff of power my mage got. For comfort, Rodushan's Renewing Rations (a nice, hot meal on the road is always welcome). For sheer utility, a pet rock.

Lawful Good with Neutral tendencies.

I'm married but if I was single, none of 'em. They really aren't my type.

Not really.

Minimalist, I guess. I keep 'em in an old, plastic 3.5 inch floppy box (it can hold 11 floppies).

The 3.5+ rules, really. I have read them but they just haven't "clicked".

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  14:23:32  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The human monk Gon Like-the-Wind.

Paladins. They just make no sense with their magical steeds imo.

Fly.

Orc.

A Harper who went rogue.

In the only adventure I got to play him in Gon sacrificed himself by bull rushing the villain off an edge into an endless pit and failed to retain his footing and fell in after him.

When my players infiltrated Darkhold under cover of darkness and after swimming across the moat were preparing to scale the walls. A guard on the top of the wall hears them, looks over the edge, can't see anything, throws a torch down and spots them in the brief light. The players can see the guard inhaling to yell an alarm when the ranger in the group fires an arrow through the guard's jaw and up through the top of his head dropping him dead. That gave them enough time to scale the wall, one player make a quick change with the guards tabard and helmet to pass as a guard in the darkness, and for the others to hide.

Two cocky players who ran headfirst through a portal into the Abyss without a way back. Wandering aimlessly they eventually had to drink and attracted Blinding sickness from the water. Stumbling around blind in the Abyss some demons eventually found them, rounded them up and set them to work in a mine.

Since I never really got to play, but always had to DM my highest level was 2.

Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments.

I'm a boring Lawful Neutral unfortunately.

Eh, I don't really have a character that I would like to date, nor do I ever write NPCs to be love interests.

Plenty.

No.

I would say 3.x edition grapple rules, but since I eventually figured them out and realised they were pretty straight forward, and just very wordy, I don't have one.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

rredmond
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  17:37:47  Show Profile  Visit rredmond's Homepage Send rredmond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure, but the one I remember the most is Bizard, cleric of Fharlaghn killed by fomorian giants in the caverns of Tsojcanth

2. Which D&D class is your least favorite to play, or do you not want to play? Magic User, too many maths!

3. What D&D spell would you most want to have in real life? Wish maybe, or cure disease?

4. What’s your favorite D&D monster? Orcs are just so iconic

5. What’s your favorite NPC/villain that you’ve encountered/created? Current campaign I'm DMing has the gods more involved than they should, so Pazuzu is the current default evil god thwarting the party

6. Has one of your characters ever died, and what killed them? Fomorian giants, see #1 above :(

7. What's your best natural 20 story? Played with a DM who used 20-20 critical, and my halfling thief was able to take out a giant the party was fighting with one shot. We cheered so much we woke up his parents and almost ended the game there :D

8. What’s your best natural 1 story? Too many... too many

9. What's the highest level you've ever played a character to? 9th, see #1 above

10. What’s your favorite magical item? [deck of many things :D

11. If you had an IRL alignment, what would it be? Either NG or CG I'm betting

12. If you had to date one of your characters, which one would you pick? huh? Pass.

13. Is there a character you want to play but haven’t had a chance to play yet? Nope.

14. Are you a dice goblin, or a dice minimalist? lots o' dice

15. What rule or mechanic have you never quite wrapped your brain around? any sort of detailed accounting of resources, I just wing it[/b]

OS RPG PbP Games: www.unseenservant.us
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000