Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What to run after Haunted Halls 2E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bayne500
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2021 :  22:54:24  Show Profile Send bayne500 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail!

So We just finished our first session of HH on Fantasy Grounds. So far they managed to secure their Adventuring Charter (gained an investor) and they defeated the Owlbear and retrieved its egg (Somehow). They decided they wanted to to check our Rivior's Keep before hitting HH. So I spent the day flushing that out and tying it into the Halls.

I had thought about trying to tie Ravenloft into FR some how? But I wanted to hear if anyone has run this as part of a cmapaign and what they did? I am open to any 2E module. I can always buy the pdf and build it into FG.

Thanks!

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2021 :  02:41:54  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-How they ran Ravenloft? I was not the DM, but in a Forgotten Realms game that I was in, the DM was introducing Ravenloft into the game before it (sadly, in retrospect) petered out from real life scheduling/etc. We based in Tethyr and were looking for evidence that an important priest of Helm was corrupt and was stoking racial flames between the Elves of the Wealdath and local peasant woodcutters and their guild. We were in the Starspire Mountains when we passed through a very misty mountain pass and eventually came upon a very out-of-place manor, which happened to belong to a vampire that invited us in for "dinner". The campaign didn't get very much past that, but we either were going to Ravenloft or Raveloft manifested itself on Faerun.

-But I would handle it like that. I assume that you don't want to completely derail the Forgotten Realms game and turn it into a Ravenloft game, so I wouldn't have the players magically cross over and go there. But literally any scenario you want, you can have Ravenloft come to them. It could be part of the bigger story if you want or you could literally make it a random encounter during their traveling.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2021 :  03:51:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bayne500

I had thought about trying to tie Ravenloft into FR some how? But I wanted to hear if anyone has run this as part of a cmapaign and what they did? I am open to any 2E module. I can always buy the pdf and build it into FG.

Thanks!

There's plenty of canon connections betwixt Ravenloft and the Realms. At least two of the Dark Lords are from the Realms -- Hazlan and Harkon Lukas. There have been at least a couple of Realms NPCs that wound up in Ravenloft, such as the gold elf vampire Jander Sunstar and Gondegal the Lost King. And there were even two linked modules that started an adventure in the Realms then went to Ravenloft -- Castle Spulzeer and The Forgotten Terror.

All that said... Keep in mind that canonically, Ravenloft is very difficult to escape from. Going into the Mists is essentially a one-way trip. So if you're wanting to make that connection, either you will need to go all-in on it being a Ravenloft campaign, or you'll need to make the PCs jump through some serious hoops to escape.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2021 :  14:21:59  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For our group, they were heading back to Elversult when a fog rolled in. The next thing they knew, they were in Barovia (this was pre-Ravenloft as a setting so it was just the adventure module). They ended up spending 6 months there before they came back. They did make it back to the Realms but they waited too long. The magic that let them get there had become unstable so when they finally got to Elversult, two years had passed. Nice bit of confusion there.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2021 :  15:24:06  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bayne500

Hail!

So We just finished our first session of HH on Fantasy Grounds. So far they managed to secure their Adventuring Charter (gained an investor) and they defeated the Owlbear and retrieved its egg (Somehow). They decided they wanted to to check our Rivior's Keep before hitting HH. So I spent the day flushing that out and tying it into the Halls.

Thanks!

Iirc Vaasa is similar in flavour to Ravenloft. But then again I have never played Ravenloft so I don't know other than what I've heard from others.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

bayne500
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2021 :  22:18:09  Show Profile Send bayne500 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

For our group, they were heading back to Elversult when a fog rolled in. The next thing they knew, they were in Barovia (this was pre-Ravenloft as a setting so it was just the adventure module). They ended up spending 6 months there before they came back. They did make it back to the Realms but they waited too long. The magic that let them get there had become unstable so when they finally got to Elversult, two years had passed. Nice bit of confusion there.

All good ideas thank you. I am going to check out Four From Cormyr (2e) which goes from 9 to 12. If I don't do Ravenloft do you guys have a good recommendation to go from 6 to 9 in and around Corymyr? I could always pull some stuff in from the Night Below and home brew.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2021 :  12:24:16  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to Adventure Lookup that should have the level 6-9 filter for AD&D applied already (I hope it ports over anyway). There are 149 adventures to choose from.

https://www.adventurelookup.com/adventures?edition=AD%26D&minStartingLevel=%E2%89%A56~%E2%89%A49

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 01 Mar 2021 12:35:21
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2021 :  12:29:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, several of them are Ravenloft adventures!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000