Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Monster Names for Themselves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2021 :  23:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was recently writing something up on the Land of the Insect Men (from FMQ1 City of Gold) and realized how silly it would be for the thri-Kreen who live there to say they live in, well, the land of the insect men. I had to homebrew a name for it instead.

That sent me down the rabbit hole of thinking about what creatures call themselves when their names are frankly a holdover from 1970s monster naming conventions. One perfect example is of course mind flayers being illithid. I am more interested in more obscure lore like how I believe Ed Greenwood (I believe) said that displacer beasts call themselves dirlagraun if they call themselves anything at all.

Are there others like that? I mean, even “beholder” is a bit hokey in a way, but less so than others of the past. Anyone remember the adherer from the old Fiend Folio? Any creatures whose names irritate you a little?

Just think, by the way, how much greater svirfneblin is better than deep gnome...

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  01:13:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I was recently writing something up on the Land of the Insect Men (from FMQ1 City of Gold) and realized how silly it would be for the thri-Kreen who live there to say they live in, well, the land of the insect men. I had to homebrew a name for it instead.

That sent me down the rabbit hole of thinking about what creatures call themselves when their names are frankly a holdover from 1970s monster naming conventions. One perfect example is of course mind flayers being illithid. I am more interested in more obscure lore like how I believe Ed Greenwood (I believe) said that displacer beasts call themselves dirlagraun if they call themselves anything at all.

Are there others like that? I mean, even “beholder” is a bit hokey in a way, but less so than others of the past. Anyone remember the adherer from the old Fiend Folio? Any creatures whose names irritate you a little?

Just think, by the way, how much greater svirfneblin is better than deep gnome...

Yeah, this is exactly why I gave my "Anchorome Hybsils" the name anikiwah.

One that irritates me is "dragonborn", but I know there IS another name they call themselves... I just can't recall it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2021 :  21:42:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-According to I, Tyrant, Hive Mothers are called "Kawahak Kru" (Spawner Boss). Since so much of Beholder mythology/society is based on them being perfect and spreading their perfect genes, maybe they call themselves the Spawners (Kawahakk?)?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000