Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Diversification of random currency: yay or nay?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  21:11:25  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all.

I'm curious: in your campaigns, do you diversify the currency (coinage, mostly, but not necessarily) awarded during a random encounter? Do you require the player characters to convert currency for use in a specific area or do you institute a universal value no matter where the currency was minted/crafted? Naturally, if something or someone is one or more of "extraordinarily powerful", "astoundingly wealthy", "well-traveled" or "long-lived", the chances of them owning currency from distant regions increases. As such, I am not thinking of dragons or wizards, but rather goblins and bandits and even modestly sized treasure chests.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  21:58:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always award coins from mixed sources...especially if carried by humanoids on the fringes of civilization or in old treasures long forgotten.

That is the extent of the flavor though because I came to realize players usually don't want to take the time picking which coins in their purse spend best in any particular land...so everything just flows into a behind the scenes things where characters spend their money as it stands: copper, silver, gold and etc.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  22:43:02  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was understood by the players to be mixed. Occasionally, I would have a mage contact the group to buy really old coins. They didn't know why until later when someone clued them in that the mages were using those coins to see if any of them were exposed to ancient magic and could therefore be used to rediscover those forgotten spells.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  02:46:54  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nay. It's just too complicated a detail to keep track of in a game with lots of details.

A lot of games take place in a small area so this does not matter much anyway. Even when the game does become more traveling, it's just not worth it.

To have a player just waist time with conversions (ok, so today one Sembian gold is worth 1/2 Amn gold) but the game stopper of "Waterdeep merchants don't take Thay gold coins. To have the players really stop the game to convert coins adds nothing to the game.
Go to Top of Page

Scots Dragon
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  06:54:48  Show Profile Send Scots Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're gonna diversify currency, give an overall general value for what they've gotten, simply saying that it's a 'mix of coins worth X gold'.
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  11:28:51  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For small purchases from minor shops I don't worry about currency because a merchant can just weigh the metal on a pair of scales. But if it's payment to an official or the state in some way, such as fees for something, then I'd require them to buy the local currency for a small fee. Because of this my players tend to hold onto gems and such things as artwork and jewelry since they tend to keep their value over time. Since I've also gone so far as to count the weight of coins towards their carry weight I have also introduced a multinational chain of banks (agents only available in a few large cities) where they can sell their coins for letters of value. These letters are accepted as payment by sellers of expensive items that aren't worried about having to travel to a bank in a different city to cash it in. I also allow them to make a small buck from transporting bulk import/export wares if they're on the road, like investing their money in a cart full of bolts of fabric for example, and bring that to a place where they can sell it at a profit. That way they're more accepting of a somewhat obstructive economy when they can benefit from it.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  13:19:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one detail too far in my book. Players generally don't care. When I DM'd half the time it was just hard to get them to keep track of their coins they used.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  14:26:22  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

That's one detail too far in my book.

Sometimes, the extra detail is welcomed because it makes the world seem that more authentic ("He continues to insist while pressing the pair of flawless Amnian danters into your hand. A glance - and a brief one at that - indicates that he retrieved them from an old stockpile. The man is desperate indeed.") or because it has adventure potential (Why was that hobgoblin irregular just south of Ironspur carrying a bag full of 500 Zakharan dirham?).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  14:50:46  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:

That's one detail too far in my book.

Sometimes, the extra detail is welcomed because it makes the world seem that more authentic ("He continues to insist while pressing the pair of flawless Amnian danters into your hand. A glance - and a brief one at that - indicates that he retrieved them from an old stockpile. The man is desperate indeed.") or because it has adventure potential (Why was that hobgoblin irregular just south of Ironspur carrying a bag full of 500 Zakharan dirham?).

I agree with the latter example. It's a great way to clue the players in on a group of bandits having been hired to do some dirty work by someone with questionable intent for example.

- "Why does everyone of them have exactly five, triangular silver hawks on their person? We're in the middle of Cormyr.."

Detailing currency also makes the Appraise skill useful. For example during the Iron Age in Scandinavia merchants (sometimes vikings) would often cold hammer out silver ingots and make bracelets from them, and carrying pliers with them they would pinch off a piece to pay with. It's a very nice flavour in my opinion to do barter with precious metals for everyday purchases. And then you can save the currency detailing for "Oh, we need to pay our Adventuring fee to the city officials" or similar.

For obvious reasons in my world those who are not merchants who can appraise precious metals and gems, like a tenant who lets a room to the players, might be wary of currency they don't recognise because they don't want to be scammed. Then again, that could be tied to intelligence. One player group I DMd had one guy playing an ogre with very low intelligence. One time they were at a seedy bar and the ogre went up to the bar and ordered two mugs of ale, slamming a few coins on the bar like he had seen others do. The bartender somewhat worriedly placed the change and the mugs on the bar, and to the ogre's surprise he got more coins back than he had paid with, albeit in a different colour. The ogre reasoned that the bartender was dumb and couldn't count so he hurriedly pocketed the coins and snickered delighted all the way back to their table.

Edited by - Returnip on 31 Dec 2020 15:04:33
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  20:44:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I totally get that it CAN be used in that way. I'm just saying the reality in most game groups I've played with is that that level of detail would be little cared about unless I specifically made a special deal about this certain allotment of coins.... which I can say that about pretty much anything, that if I make a big deal about something the players think its special. I could go on about how particularly soft THIS rabbit's fur is and they'd think there was something to it (and lord help me... what is the silly thief doing with the rabbit's fur to compare softness...). Sadly, in most games I don't have that much time to throw out false leads left and right about too many minor things or the game will go totally off its rails.... and while it can be fun for me to watch players flounder, it will end up losing players because they get frustrated or bored.... and I've been on the other side of that coin as well.

Now, in a NOVEL, this kind of thing works well, and I'd love it.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 31 Dec 2020 20:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  23:12:47  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have much less experience with the Forgotten Realms than most on these boards. However, when I ran Chult for Tomb of Annihilation, I specifically included coinage as a clue. Some merchants in the main port regarded platinum and electrum coins superstitiously – those were coins that, in Chult, were only minted by the Omuan kingdom. This was especially true if they electrum/platinum were actually minted in Omu, with the wasp-crowed queen on the face, and stylized triple volcanoes on the tails side – as the Omuan kingdom was considered fallen to evil magic, especially dream magic that killed men in their sleep. When the players were trying to deduce the location of the Forbidden City of Omu, they remembered to look at their coins, and (rightly) concluded the city had to be within sight of three volcanoes.

Beyond that, copper/silver/gold were easily exchanged, but the mint of a coin could tell you about the person you were doing business with. So if a NPC affiliated with the Zhentarim (who had muscled themselves into position as bodyguard guild of sorts for Chult's Merchant Princes) was swimming in Chultan gold, that hinted they were working for a Merchant Prince. Whereas if a NPC with the Flaming Fist (who were pillaging ruins while "providing protection") had Chultan gold, that was a sure sign they'd been up to some no good looting recently.

Edited by - Quickleaf on 31 Dec 2020 23:14:24
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  00:38:08  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I totally get that it CAN be used in that way. I'm just saying the reality in most game groups I've played with is that that level of detail would be little cared about unless I specifically made a special deal about this certain allotment of coins.... which I can say that about pretty much anything, that if I make a big deal about something the players think its special. I could go on about how particularly soft THIS rabbit's fur is and they'd think there was something to it (and lord help me... what is the silly thief doing with the rabbit's fur to compare softness...). Sadly, in most games I don't have that much time to throw out false leads left and right about too many minor things or the game will go totally off its rails.... and while it can be fun for me to watch players flounder, it will end up losing players because they get frustrated or bored.... and I've been on the other side of that coin as well.

Now, in a NOVEL, this kind of thing works well, and I'd love it.

Well, I wouldn't throw out false leads. I save the details for when it's needed. Most of the times I'll just assume they can dig out enough coins of the right currency. And at low levels it's not really a problem because they seldom leave the country until after a few levels so the money they get is from the nation they're in anyway.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  14:27:01  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I firmly agree with most above that it is more detail than is necessary and most players care little for it. I've found that most find it interesting up to a point but, unless it's emphasized in some manner (i.e. it's a plot device), most will ignore this detail. I have had some ancient coins be worth more than their standard value though...and players LOVE that detail.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  14:29:27  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I firmly agree with most above that it is more detail than is necessary and most players care little for it. I've found that most find it interesting up to a point but, unless it's emphasized in some manner (i.e. it's a plot device), most will ignore this detail. I have had some ancient coins be worth more than their standard value though...and players LOVE that detail.

See, that's what I'm saying. If they can benefit from a detail they'll like it. So I automate the other details to make them less intrusive, but if it's something the players can benefit from I expect some effort on their part in return.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2021 :  01:49:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In my own non-FR campaign I am actually going to have the players cross borders and this was going to be something I address. If they don't think to change their coins at any point, I'll make it like a side quest kind of thing when they attempt to use the money and it is either not accepted or considered a fraction of what it is, but something like that consistently part of the game seems like it would bog it down more than enhance it- unless you play with like accountants or whatever, people that would enjoy that kind of thing.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 02 Jan 2021 01:49:38
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2021 :  09:31:05  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-In my own non-FR campaign I am actually going to have the players cross borders and this was going to be something I address. If they don't think to change their coins at any point, I'll make it like a side quest kind of thing when they attempt to use the money and it is either not accepted or considered a fraction of what it is, but something like that consistently part of the game seems like it would bog it down more than enhance it- unless you play with like accountants or whatever, people that would enjoy that kind of thing.

I recall reading that in Cormyr you're required to buy local currency and that they have exchange offices near the borders for that purpose. I'm sure that would apply in other places as well, like Sembia.

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2021 :  16:01:28  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ultimately, this is another instance of "Knowing your audience."

I'd wager most D&D players are definitely interested in combat...the savage beauty of larger-than-life violence. Not to sound my own trumpet, but, people I've played with have commended me (sometimes indirectly, sometimes directly) for my combat scenes to the point where I know I am doing something right to keep them engaged. However, I've ran a few games where there was always at least one player that saw battle as a task to be overcome and nothing more: not quite "This is a necessary evil.", just "Okay, what now?". These exceptions found greater satisfaction in describing their actions when the group set up camp/arrived at an inn, interacting with the eccentric NPCs, attempting to ascertain the significance of unusual treasure beyond its practical use and so on and so forth.

Then, there are those players that don't know they'll enjoy an aspect of a setting - the extra mercantile detail, in this case - until someone introduces them to it. Experimenting with new/extra descriptions shouldn't be problematic as long as you aren't intruding or being obnoxious relative to the tastes of the group.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000