Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Can outlaws and criminals join the Harpers?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  13:44:17  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So i've got a player who is a bhaalspawn half elf who is a criminal with a bounty on his head because he took refuge with some cultists to flee from the night masks (a criminal organisation he was part of). When the lords alliance captured the cultists he was taken to jail too whith a cultist he bacame friends with and romanced. At a point she tried to flee and 2 flaming fist guards tried to stop her until he intervened and attacked one. She fled casting invisibilty and he got sentenced to death, managed to escape and join the ranks of the zhentarim. Now he says he wants to turn a new leaf and join the harper organization...

So my question is "Can an outlaw join the Harpers?"

Ps: in the campaign world its common knowledge he's a bhaalspawn

Jack of blades

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  14:41:55  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some sort of atonement and proving himself and his intentions seem in place. In my realms good and evil is not absolute but rather grey scales.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  14:48:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erevan Illesere

So i've got a player who is a bhaalspawn half elf who is a criminal with a bounty on his head because he took refuge with some cultists to flee from the night masks (a criminal organisation he was part of). When the lords alliance captured the cultists he was taken to jail too whith a cultist he bacame friends with and romanced. At a point she tried to flee and 2 flaming fist guards tried to stop her until he intervened and attacked one. She fled casting invisibilty and he got sentenced to death, managed to escape and join the ranks of the zhentarim. Now he says he wants to turn a new leaf and join the harper organization...

The Harpers are less concerned with law and more concerned with acting as a check on evil groups.

So him being a criminal won't be a huge concern. They'll look closely into the circumstances, but once they're convinced of his innocence, they'll let it go.

Being a former Zhent, though -- that they'll pay a lot more attention to. As Returnip says, he'll have to atone and really prove himself, there, so they don't think it's a ploy to infiltrate their ranks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  15:17:33  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The Harpers are less concerned with law and more concerned with acting as a check on evil groups.

So him being a criminal won't be a huge concern. They'll look closely into the circumstances, but once they're convinced of his innocence, they'll let it go.

Being a former Zhent, though -- that they'll pay a lot more attention to. As Returnip says, he'll have to atone and really prove himself, there, so they don't think it's a ploy to infiltrate their ranks.

So probably do quests for them for a while unpaid to test his loyalty? I guess he could also spy on a party memeber who is a Zhentarim agent of pretty high rank
Thanks for the answer, it's already giving me some ideas of how to handle this player

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  15:46:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the real world, joiners with questionable or shady pasts are usually rejected or exploited or turned into pawns. Unless they bring something very useful and very special to the group (knowledge, skills, gadgets, whatever). Or unless the group's needs and circumstances are desperate.

And even if such turncoats do pass initial inspection, their pasts will continue to haunt them. The group will always contain some members who remain suspicious, who will demand more tests of loyalty, who may actually work towards fabricating situations which cause the undesirable to be expelled.

A group like the Harpers is very loosely distributed. They don't all gather for big meetings which keep all members updated. Miscommunications are plausible. Mistakes happen. Not everyone gets the message (or acknowledges the message) about new members - an ex-Zhent might be well advised to stay wary around his new allies.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  16:44:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A recent Tweet from Ed himself:

quote:
@CoraxDCLXVI

Hey Ed. Since my digging hasn't revealed much past 1375 DR, I thought I'd ask the Master Sage. Is there still an official process for joining the Harpers in the 1490s? And who, if any, are the active Senior/High Harpers on the Sword Coast in the 1490s?

@TheEdVerse

It’s never been “official” in the formal public ceremony sense. What usually happens is that the Harpers spy on likely candidates for some time, and if they think at the end of that time that someone is suitable (senior Harpers have a veto over this), a senior Harper will approach the candidate in private (usually trying to arrange circumstances where no one will observe the Harper approach or depart the meeting, so it’s often at night, wherever the candidate is sleeping, or returning from a privy) and ask them if they’re interested. If they want time to think it over, any later approach will have the same privacy but the Harper will bring reinforcements, nearby but usually hidden, to deal with any ambushes. On acceptance, the candidate is given a Harper pin and a Harper mentor, who gives them their first mission, accompanies them on it (often spied on by another Harper), and answers any questions the candidate may have/renders them aid/becomes their once-a-tenday-or-a-month contact.
#Realmslore

Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  17:03:49  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

In the real world, joiners with questionable or shady pasts are usually rejected or exploited or turned into pawns. Unless they bring something very useful and very special to the group (knowledge, skills, gadgets, whatever). Or unless the group's needs and circumstances are desperate.

And even if such turncoats do pass initial inspection, their pasts will continue to haunt them. The group will always contain some members who remain suspicious, who will demand more tests of loyalty, who may actually work towards fabricating situations which cause the undesirable to be expelled.

A group like the Harpers is very loosely distributed. They don't all gather for big meetings which keep all members updated. Miscommunications are plausible. Mistakes happen. Not everyone gets the message (or acknowledges the message) about new members - an ex-Zhent might be well advised to stay wary around his new allies.

Ok I guess that's convenient for DMs to handle but how do the harpers handle paying agents or passing orders down the chain of command if they are so dijointed and dont hold meetings or such?

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  17:33:02  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]@CoraxDCLXVI

Hey Ed. Since my digging hasn't revealed much past 1375 DR, I thought I'd ask the Master Sage. Is there still an official process for joining the Harpers in the 1490s? And who, if any, are the active Senior/High Harpers on the Sword Coast in the 1490s?

@TheEdVerse

It’s never been “official” in the formal public ceremony sense. What usually happens is that the Harpers spy on likely candidates for some time, and if they think at the end of that time that someone is suitable (senior Harpers have a veto over this), a senior Harper will approach the candidate in private (usually trying to arrange circumstances where no one will observe the Harper approach or depart the meeting, so it’s often at night, wherever the candidate is sleeping, or returning from a privy) and ask them if they’re interested. If they want time to think it over, any later approach will have the same privacy but the Harper will bring reinforcements, nearby but usually hidden, to deal with any ambushes. On acceptance, the candidate is given a Harper pin and a Harper mentor, who gives them their first mission, accompanies them on it (often spied on by another Harper), and answers any questions the candidate may have/renders them aid/becomes their once-a-tenday-or-a-month contact.
#Realmslore

[/quote
Alright then maybe I could arrange the encounter with the harper like this:
The character asks around where he could meet a harper and someone (maybe a bartender or a thief) tells him to meet his contact at midnight behind the tavern. He goes there expecting to meet a harper but instead walks in a Night Mask ambush looking to "cut loose ends" (Since from what I read on the wiki you just dont quit the night masks). After the fighting starts a cloaked figure intervenes from the shadow to save the player (this would be the senior harper). After the night masks have been defeated the player talks with the harper who asks him to prove himself by doing a quest for him.If the players says he has to think about it the harper will be very suspicious of an ex zhent and think he is trying to set an ambush. So the harper will accept to meet in another place but of his choosing and will secretely bring other hidden harpers at the meeting. What do you guys think?

Sorry for the long text...

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  18:32:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I would not be sure that would work. Announcing seeking a Harper would raise flags of danger to any Harper in my view.

As for the Night Mask ambush I do consider that likely, I just do not believe Harpers would care much unless planning to ambush the ambushers. I do not see the Harpers even consider revealing themselves officially to any one so foolish as to announce seeking them.

Other scribes views of course might believe is a good plan.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 30 Dec 2020 18:33:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  19:58:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The character asks around where he could meet a harper and someone (maybe a bartender or a thief) tells him to meet his contact at midnight behind the tavern. He goes there expecting to meet a harper but instead walks in a Night Mask ambush looking to "cut loose ends" (Since from what I read on the wiki you just dont quit the night masks). After the fighting starts a cloaked figure intervenes from the shadow to save the player (this would be the senior harper). After the night masks have been defeated the player talks with the harper who asks him to prove himself by doing a quest for him.If the players says he has to think about it the harper will be very suspicious of an ex zhent and think he is trying to set an ambush. So the harper will accept to meet in another place but of his choosing and will secretely bring other hidden harpers at the meeting. What do you guys think?

Recruits don't look for the Harpers -- the Harpers look for recruits. Anyone announcing they're looking to join is, at best, unsuitable of the discreet activities Harper missions usually require -- and more likely, is not looking to join so they can uphold the ideals of the Harpers.

A more likely recruitment would be an NPC that hires/sends the PC on certain specific tasks, and then secretly observes the PC whilst doing those tasks. And this hidden Harper NPC wouldn't just be looking for completion of the tasks, he or she would also be looking to see how the tasks were accomplished.

With a former Zhent, some of the tasks would undoubtedly include tests of morality -- does the PC make the right choices? Does he do the right thing, even when it makes the task harder? If given a task that forces him to hurt/steal from innocents, what does he do?

Remember, someone being recruited is going to be tested for suitability long before they know a Harper is even paying attention to them -- and someone like a former Zhent is going to be tested even more.

In this specific case, I think I'd allow the PC to meet a Harper just once and do some task, after which the Harper says he thinks the PC has potential, but bluntly states the Harpers are unlikely to welcome a former Zhent.

...And that's when the testing/observation starts, and continues for *years* of in-game time. The PC would likely not see that original Harper again, unless he's proved himself worthy -- without realizing it! -- multiple times over, at which point that original Harper returns to recruit him.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  20:36:17  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote]@CoraxDCLXVI

@TheEdVerse

#Realmslore

[/quote

If he really wants to "turn a new leaf", he may have to do something more drastic. I had someone that was a member of the Monks of the Long Death who wanted to leave the organization. They are famous for not letting people who leave live, so he paid a mage to permanently change his appearance and then took on a new name. That has allowed him some measure of safety (he is still paranoid a bit, though).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  22:01:51  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

quote:

[quote]@CoraxDCLXVI

@TheEdVerse

#Realmslore

[/quote

If he really wants to "turn a new leaf", he may have to do something more drastic. I had someone that was a member of the Monks of the Long Death who wanted to leave the organization. They are famous for not letting people who leave live, so he paid a mage to permanently change his appearance and then took on a new name. That has allowed him some measure of safety (he is still paranoid a bit, though).

Well its true that I read that getting into the Zhentarim was easy but getting out... not so much. Im just not sure if in 2e the Zhentarim allow people to leave their ranks or not if you are an agent at their service. Maybe paying them gold to let you quit?

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  22:14:18  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Recruits don't look for the Harpers -- the Harpers look for recruits. Anyone announcing they're looking to join is, at best, unsuitable of the discreet activities Harper missions usually require -- and more likely, is not looking to join so they can uphold the ideals of the Harpers.

A more likely recruitment would be an NPC that hires/sends the PC on certain specific tasks, and then secretly observes the PC whilst doing those tasks. And this hidden Harper NPC wouldn't just be looking for completion of the tasks, he or she would also be looking to see how the tasks were accomplished.

With a former Zhent, some of the tasks would undoubtedly include tests of morality -- does the PC make the right choices? Does he do the right thing, even when it makes the task harder? If given a task that forces him to hurt/steal from innocents, what does he do?

Remember, someone being recruited is going to be tested for suitability long before they know a Harper is even paying attention to them -- and someone like a former Zhent is going to be tested even more.

In this specific case, I think I'd allow the PC to meet a Harper just once and do some task, after which the Harper says he thinks the PC has potential, but bluntly states the Harpers are unlikely to welcome a former Zhent.

...And that's when the testing/observation starts, and continues for *years* of in-game time. The PC would likely not see that original Harper again, unless he's proved himself worthy -- without realizing it! -- multiple times over, at which point that original Harper returns to recruit him.

Ok this idea sounds actually better than the harpers saving the player from the ambush. I guess I could have made it so that the harper was actually ambushing the ambushers like Kentinal suggested but maybe it would have been too "convenient". The idea of refusing the player and then secretely testing him also sounds cool. The only thing is I have to figure out how to hand out tasks to him without it being too obvious.

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  22:51:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well its true that I read that getting into the Zhentarim was easy but getting out... not so much. Im just not sure if in 2e the Zhentarim allow people to leave their ranks or not if you are an agent at their service. Maybe paying them gold to let you quit?

It depends on his rank in the Zhentarim, really. Some low-level grunt? As long as he quickly and quietly leaves the area, he could likely just walk away without anyone worrying too much about it. Someone more highly placed? Best bet would be to fake death, get a new face, and go elsewhere.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Dec 2020 23:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  23:02:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok this idea sounds actually better than the harpers saving the player from the ambush. I guess I could have made it so that the harper was actually ambushing the ambushers like Kentinal suggested but maybe it would have been too "convenient". The idea of refusing the player and then secretely testing him also sounds cool. The only thing is I have to figure out how to hand out tasks to him without it being too obvious.

Have the players get recruited by someone who acts as their personal patron. Maybe a lesser noble or something... But here's the trick: this lesser noble has at least one Harper contact and has worked with them in the past, but is not a Harper. His Harper contact (maybe posing as a ranking servant of some type) will give the PCs some tasks that are Harper tasks -- but some of them will just be things the noble wants done.

It works best if the PC had already come to Harper attention, somehow. Maybe he saves the life of some NPC at great personal risk to himself -- and that NPC is a Harper. This puts the PC on their radar... Then the second Harper, the one posing as the noble's seneschal or majordomo or trusted advisor or whatever, is tapped to start testing the PC.

By mixing up the tasks between ones the Harpers want and ones the patron wants, the PC won't know he's working for the Harpers. The Harpers will keep a close eye on him, seeing how he does on both sets of tasks. If they like him, they start giving more challenging stuff, to really test him. If not, hey, they still got some things accomplished that they wanted done.

As for the actual watching... One way to do it would be to plant some item in the PC's path, something that he'd want to keep on his person -- some bit of magic, most likely. But hey, this one is tweaked a bit to enable them to readily scry on him!

Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  09:17:22  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh this could really work wonders! One of the other players has a brother he got back into power since he was a noble before becoming a mercenary. Maybe I could use the noble brother to hand out tasks to the player. The noble in question was a black claw mercenary leader. From what I read on the wiki the black claws have exclusive contracts with the zhents which would make it harder for this to happen though. Still, with the insistence of his brother he did quit the zhentarim which paints a huge target on his back so maybe the harpers would want a noble to owe them a favor? Especially one with intel on zhentarim. There is also the fact of the Zhentarim taking over the criminal underworld of baldurs gate (I'm currently running siege of dragonspear and I read "Heroes of baldur's gate to figure out what was happening in the meantime in baldurs gate) so I think they would want someone powerful quitting the zhentarim to put them in a bad light so to speak.

[/quote]
Have the players get recruited by someone who acts as their personal patron. Maybe a lesser noble or something... But here's the trick: this lesser noble has at least one Harper contact and has worked with them in the past, but is not a Harper. His Harper contact (maybe posing as a ranking servant of some type) will give the PCs some tasks that are Harper tasks -- but some of them will just be things the noble wants done.

It works best if the PC had already come to Harper attention, somehow. Maybe he saves the life of some NPC at great personal risk to himself -- and that NPC is a Harper. This puts the PC on their radar... Then the second Harper, the one posing as the noble's seneschal or majordomo or trusted advisor or whatever, is tapped to start testing the PC.

By mixing up the tasks between ones the Harpers want and ones the patron wants, the PC won't know he's working for the Harpers. The Harpers will keep a close eye on him, seeing how he does on both sets of tasks. If they like him, they start giving more challenging stuff, to really test him. If not, hey, they still got some things accomplished that they wanted done.

As for the actual watching... One way to do it would be to plant some item in the PC's path, something that he'd want to keep on his person -- some bit of magic, most likely. But hey, this one is tweaked a bit to enable them to readily scry on him!

Jack of blades

Edited by - Erevan Illesere on 31 Dec 2020 09:37:56
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  11:40:53  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would go about it like this:

Tell the player that he will have to RP himself into the Harpers. Coach him to roleplay his character showing those around him that he's actively trying to turn a new leaf. Explain to him how it usually works - the Harpers find you, not the other way around. Then give him ample opportunity to turn a leaf on his own accord. Alongside their regular adventures you can drop opportunities for him to betray his former affiliates by striking a big blow against their businesses. Give him obvious options to choose to do good, and to choose to oppose his previous ideals. After a few "side quests" like that you can have him receive a mysterious letter saying something along the lines of "If you're serious about changing your ways there might be more opportunities for you ahead". Then perhaps you could have a set-up where he can use his knowledge of the organisations he's trying to distance himself from to stop some local activity, like slave trading for example. Here he gets to free a bunch of slaves and help capture those responsible and turn them into local authorities. After that I would say he could be approached by an unannounced stranger breaking into his room as he sleeps at a tavern for example, to have "the talk".

Edited by - Returnip on 31 Dec 2020 11:42:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  14:50:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh this could really work wonders! One of the other players has a brother he got back into power since he was a noble before becoming a mercenary. Maybe I could use the noble brother to hand out tasks to the player. The noble in question was a black claw mercenary leader. From what I read on the wiki the black claws have exclusive contracts with the zhents which would make it harder for this to happen though. Still, with the insistence of his brother he did quit the zhentarim which paints a huge target on his back so maybe the harpers would want a noble to owe them a favor? Especially one with intel on zhentarim. There is also the fact of the Zhentarim taking over the criminal underworld of baldurs gate (I'm currently running siege of dragonspear and I read "Heroes of baldur's gate to figure out what was happening in the meantime in baldurs gate) so I think they would want someone powerful quitting the zhentarim to put them in a bad light so to speak.

Honestly, I'd expect the Harpers to utilize a patron without visible ties to any other group - less scrutiny on the patron, that way.

I'm also not convinced the Zhents would care at all about someone leaving their ranks, unless that person held some rank in the group -- and even then, it depends on their position. A lot of Zhents are just muscle and cannon fodder; a higher-ranking grunt is still just a grunt.

If a person was of high enough rank in the organization to have their own agents and to do more than just follow orders, that's where it's going to get trickier to leave.

It basically comes down to how much someone can hurt the Zhents, and the cost of removing the threat.

I've an NPC I created who is a former Zhent turned Harper ally. The dude decided to stop a particular Zhent operation for his own reasons, and turned to a person known to the Zhents as a Harper. This particular Harper was the visible Harper for that area, keeping eyes on himself while other Harpers did the real work, unnoticed by those hostile eyes.

My NPC faked his own death, and in return for a new face and new identity, helped the Harpers oppose the original Zhent plot and several others. Even that, though, didn't get him an invite to the group -- he got his new identity and some seed money to start over, and they cut him loose. My guy has proven to have turned over a new leaf -- but he's not proven to be Harper material.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  15:42:36  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm also not convinced the Zhents would care at all about someone leaving their ranks, unless that person held some rank in the group -- and even then, it depends on their position. A lot of Zhents are just muscle and cannon fodder; a higher-ranking grunt is still just a grunt.

If a person was of high enough rank in the organization to have their own agents and to do more than just follow orders, that's where it's going to get trickier to leave.

It basically comes down to how much someone can hurt the Zhents, and the cost of removing the threat.

I've an NPC I created who is a former Zhent turned Harper ally. The dude decided to stop a particular Zhent operation for his own reasons, and turned to a person known to the Zhents as a Harper. This particular Harper was the visible Harper for that area, keeping eyes on himself while other Harpers did the real work, unnoticed by those hostile eyes.

My NPC faked his own death, and in return for a new face and new identity, helped the Harpers oppose the original Zhent plot and several others. Even that, though, didn't get him an invite to the group -- he got his new identity and some seed money to start over, and they cut him loose. My guy has proven to have turned over a new leaf -- but he's not proven to be Harper material.

If the Zhents will kill you for failing (from what I have read, they will), they will also kill you for leaving. Otherwise, there really isn't that much of an incentive to stick around. Fail, and you MAY die. Leave and you will.

I had a Zhent "grunt" leave a Darkhold patrol because he finally got fed up with the sheer evil they were doing. The patrol commander, upon learning he left, ordered a handful of men to go after him and bring back his head (to go on a pole back at the barracks to remind people that leaving/failure is NOT an option). That guy is now a werebison who hunts Zhents, with his werefox mate, in the southern Sunset Vale.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  15:56:20  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the Zhents will kill you for failing (from what I have read, they will), they will also kill you for leaving. Otherwise, there really isn't that much of an incentive to stick around. Fail, and you MAY die. Leave and you will.

I had a Zhent "grunt" leave a Darkhold patrol because he finally got fed up with the sheer evil they were doing. The patrol commander, upon learning he left, ordered a handful of men to go after him and bring back his head (to go on a pole back at the barracks to remind people that leaving/failure is NOT an option). That guy is now a werebison who hunts Zhents, with his werefox mate, in the southern Sunset Vale.

They will try to kill you. I think that if the Zhentarim captain wants to make an example of a deserter, they will send a few agents after him or her. When they don't return, they might send a few more to look for the first ones and to finish the job. After that however they might decide it's not worth the cost just to make an example for the others, so they'll probably just decapitate some homeless beggar and mutilate them until you can't tell that the head didn't belong to the deserter and impale that head instead.

However, if any of the former colleagues of the deserter should happen to bounce into him or her somewhere they might decide that they're gonna try and take their head to earn some goodwill (or maybe badwill) from their superiors. Or they decide to report it to their superior's superior. It can start all kinds of intrigue within the ranks. Maybe the fact that you can get out of it encourages others to leave? It's an interesting thought for sure.

Edited by - Returnip on 31 Dec 2020 15:56:56
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  16:42:41  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

quote:

They will try to kill you. I think that if the Zhentarim captain wants to make an example of a deserter, they will send a few agents after him or her. When they don't return, they might send a few more to look for the first ones and to finish the job. After that however they might decide it's not worth the cost just to make an example for the others, so they'll probably just decapitate some homeless beggar and mutilate them until you can't tell that the head didn't belong to the deserter and impale that head instead.

However, if any of the former colleagues of the deserter should happen to bounce into him or her somewhere they might decide that they're gonna try and take their head to earn some goodwill (or maybe badwill) from their superiors. Or they decide to report it to their superior's superior. It can start all kinds of intrigue within the ranks. Maybe the fact that you can get out of it encourages others to leave? It's an interesting thought for sure.

True, they are not going to extensively hunt down someone who is just a "grunt" but even in the beggar's head options listed, the rest of the troops there will see "if I go, I die". Of course, if there are occasional, random mind probes done of the grunts, the guys doing the beggars head will be risking losing their heads. Depends on how paranoid those in charge are.

What this really comes down to is how each DM sees the Zhent organization. From what I have seen, organizational loyalty is typically built around one or more items: fraternity (we are all in this together), duty (I have a personal responsibility to do this), or fear (if I don't do this, something bad happens to me). For clarity, I have included bullies under duty (I have a duty to myself to show that I am better than everyone else) and greed under both duty and fear (I owe it to myself to get as much for myself as I can because if I don't, I will end up poor and living under a bridge like some common troll).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  19:05:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's how I see it, myself -- the lower you are, the less effort/cost they're willing to put into hunting you down if you walk away. They'll not just watch someone walk away, but unless there's a good reason, they're not going to chase a deserter halfway across Faerûn, either.

For any deserter worth going after, they'd either need to fake their death so no one looks for them (like my NPC), or go very far away (preferably with a new face). Or they could try going the double-agent route, but that could be very problematic and not well-received in Zhentil Keep/Darkhold when it's found out.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  20:04:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhents likely operate like any other police force ...

If you saw something, you know something, you stole something, you are a problem, you have an enemy ... then they'll send people to find you. If you're dangerous, powerful, cunning, sneaky, valuable then they'll send someone dangerous, powerful, cunning, sneaky, expensive to deal with you.

If you're just a deserter of little note ... some noob who never knew anything, didn't like the lifestyle, slipped away in the night ... they won't bother hunting, they'll probably forget you after a season or two, but they might remember you well enough to be difficult if your paths ever cross again.

Then again, not everybody in the Black Network is a reasonable thief. Some of their priests and wizards are real nutjobs, malign, cruel, arrogant, hateful. Members of the organization might never know that they are being subjected to powerful scrutiny, fixation, scheming, and vengeance ... at least not until it's too late.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  20:58:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have two answers for you

First to your outright question.... yes, an outlaw can join the harpers. Half of them are rogues and more than likely with a shady past. The harpers are not about LAW... they are about GOOD. If following the law helps, great.... if breaking the law helps, great but don't get caught.

Second, to your unspoken question... Can this guy join the harpers? Well, first he was in the night masks, which isn't a group especially known for thinking about good at all. Second, he was in the Zhentarim next, another group whose focus is not about doing good. Now, rather than simply trying to DO GOOD he's seeking to FIND a group who is known for opposing the two groups he was previously a part of. I'll be surprised if the harpers don't just kill him to be safe.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  01:30:11  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even after screening, especially after screening, Harpers police their own.Harpers will eliminate (read: kill) those they consider traitors to the cause. In that case, you better be as badarse as Khelben (who by the way also had Laeral on his side). Then you merely get expelled.
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  11:14:08  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

I have two answers for you

First to your outright question.... yes, an outlaw can join the harpers. Half of them are rogues and more than likely with a shady past. The harpers are not about LAW... they are about GOOD. If following the law helps, great.... if breaking the law helps, great but don't get caught.

Second, to your unspoken question... Can this guy join the harpers? Well, first he was in the night masks, which isn't a group especially known for thinking about good at all. Second, he was in the Zhentarim next, another group whose focus is not about doing good. Now, rather than simply trying to DO GOOD he's seeking to FIND a group who is known for opposing the two groups he was previously a part of. I'll be surprised if the harpers don't just kill him to be safe.

To be honest i'm a bit torn on how to treat his request to try to join the harpers...
I tried to explain that he CAN try but that it will be very hard considering his past. On the one hand him trying to help a cultist he loves against his own self interest is a cool RP moment I want to encourage more against minmaxing and powerplay but on the other hand I admit I enjoy showing to the players how harsh the world can be and how there can (and should be) long standing consequences for their actions. The same player had a half orc character who was trying to become a "royal guard" for the king of the orcs Obould many arrows and had this image in his head of a just and noble king. You can imagine how disappointed he was when he met the real thing...
But just when he was about to give up on his race entirely i twisted the knife again by making him meet a son of Obould I invented who was a fairly "decent" guy (he was a warlock half orc who made pacts with devils to try to make the orcs more civilised so I use the word "decent" with caution)

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  12:44:50  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, rather than simply trying to DO GOOD he's seeking to FIND a group who is known for opposing the two groups he was previously a part of. I'll be surprised if the harpers don't just kill him to be safe.

See, this is what I'm thinking too. That's why he needs to roleplay turning the leaf and actually do good in game, rather than ask around for harpers. The former might make them watch him and the latter will probably get him killed outright.

I'm assuming it is the player who wants his character to join the Harpers. Not the character itself. That was my assumption when I posted previously about coaching him to actually be good in game, without thinking of Harpers, and then you can present the opportunity to him and his character.

EDIT: I think you need to separate the wishes of the player for his character's progression, and the wishes of the character.

In the game world the character is most likely just fed up with being evil, and is full of regret and bad conscience because of stuff they've done. So the character turns a new leaf and starts to try and change, and oppose their old ideals.

The player, who is thinking in a meta layer, thinks the Harpers seem cool. I want my character to join them. So in that meta context you and the player can discuss how the player will have to proceed to give his character a chance to be scouted by the Harpers.

Edited by - Returnip on 01 Jan 2021 12:48:48
Go to Top of Page

Erevan Illesere
Acolyte

Italy
38 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2021 :  20:52:55  Show Profile Send Erevan Illesere a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Now, rather than simply trying to DO GOOD he's seeking to FIND a group who is known for opposing the two groups he was previously a part of. I'll be surprised if the harpers don't just kill him to be safe.

See, this is what I'm thinking too. That's why he needs to roleplay turning the leaf and actually do good in game, rather than ask around for harpers. The former might make them watch him and the latter will probably get him killed outright.

I'm assuming it is the player who wants his character to join the Harpers. Not the character itself. That was my assumption when I posted previously about coaching him to actually be good in game, without thinking of Harpers, and then you can present the opportunity to him and his character.

EDIT: I think you need to separate the wishes of the player for his character's progression, and the wishes of the character.

In the game world the character is most likely just fed up with being evil, and is full of regret and bad conscience because of stuff they've done. So the character turns a new leaf and starts to try and change, and oppose their old ideals.

The player, who is thinking in a meta layer, thinks the Harpers seem cool. I want my character to join them. So in that meta context you and the player can discuss how the player will have to proceed to give his character a chance to be scouted by the Harpers.

Yeah I talked to him about and he agreed. I think actually he just wanted me to know he was interested in his character joining the harpers but understands it will be very difficult and have to really work for it.
Anyway thanks to everyone for these great advices. It really helped me understand how to handle recruitment in the harpers and I think I just realised a great example of Harper recruitment: gothic 2!
Now hear me out. If anyone has played that game, the way the ring of water members hand out quests to the hero and then reveal themselves once the players has proven themselves seems like a great example!

Jack of blades
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000