Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lathander as "hope bringer": his archnemesis?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2020 :  17:57:41  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello folks.

Of all the malevolent deities, who most opposes the "hope bringer" aspect of Lathander? So far, I can think of three candidates.

* Shar: oblivion isn't conducive to the propagation of hope.
* Cyric: strife poisons the spring of hope.
* Bane: tyranny seeks to crush genuine hope (though it is quite willing to foster false hope).

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2020 :  18:11:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd say its situational. If the church of Lathander hopes to inspire hope via methodology #1, who would be opposed to it? What about methodology #2? #3? In his (and many other gods as well) case there is no directly opposed deity, but there are certain deities that will disagree with him or work against his clergy 99.99% of the time if they aren't doing something else. That of course is the driving thing... if they aren't doing something else. Shar's clergy for instance may dislike all the good gods, but they only have so many resources with which to work against them, so they'd probably look at what religions are doing what locally and figure out what initiatives they need to stop (rather than focusing on "we don't like this god").

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2020 :  21:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t remember 100% which deity it was, but I remember some fan speculation or possibly even canonical speculation that Lathander, Amaunator and Myrkul(?) were three “phases” of the same deity. If so then perhaps Myrkul would fit the bill.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2020 :  23:13:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In general, Shar probably fits the bill the best. He is the Morninglord, she is the Nightsinger. He is the Lord of Birth and Renewal, she is the Lady of Loss. He stands for renewal, she stands for nihilism.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 26 Dec 2020 23:14:17
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2020 :  04:27:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll echo what Lord Karsus just said as she is, IMO, the most obvious counterpoint to hope.

Seethyr, you're correct that those three were considered three phases of the same deity. I never cared for it, btw, because it lead to a strange situation in which Amaunator held sway during the 4e era because he was technically the same deity as Lathander (Lathander didn't 'exist' in that time) but, somehow, Myrkul was always a separate entity from Lathander prior to the Spellplague. It was all sort of counter intuitive and made little sense to me.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2020 :  06:35:19  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been researching Asmodeus and writing a real version of The Trial of Asmodeus, and have found that he is in many ways an opposing force to Lathander's good will.

In order to convince/manipulate people to forsake the gods and bring them to Hell, the followers of Asmodeus would have to make them plunge into depths of despair or tempt them with such dark thoughts that they bring themselves into darkness.

Lathander is also not going to be happy with Asmodeus since Zariel once was an angel in Lathander's service.

Asmodeus also twists the notion of new beginnings with his foul corruption of people into malevolent devils.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Edited by - Storyteller Hero on 27 Dec 2020 06:36:16
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2020 :  06:50:49  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrkul.

Myrkul is less about despair than he is about inevitability, though.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2020 :  03:09:00  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar works well as an enemy of Anaumator from the days of netheril if I recall correctly. With the quirky state of things, depending on your edition, I wonder if Shar considers Lathander to be anything at all different from their more classical opponent.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  09:38:59  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

While Shar is the opposite to Sune, as per the Netherese legend, I would say that Shar also opposes Lathander in this scenario. Sorry but Asmodeus is not a god, no matter what 4e/5e have wrought into play.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1286 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  20:14:54  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears that Shar is pulling double duty; she eternally feuds with her sister while also philosophically opposing Lathander.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2021 :  01:51:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Given what she ultimately wants, I am sure she has a lot of enemies.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000