Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Giant Legends
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  14:08:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm sure this has been visited many times before but i wanted to take a critical look at the legends of giants (mostly from Giantcraft) in an effort to try an puzzle the ancient history of this race.

First legend is below.

quote:
One such ballad still heard in the mead halls of giant steadings was composed by Hrotun, son of Ottar and the first of the frost giant skalds. It dramatizes the saga of Hjurnur Wyrmrever, a notorious giant hero.
The Opening Stanza of the Saga of the Dragon Queller (Sal Hotun Wyrmrever), as interpreted and annotated by Learned Rundigast, Sage of Waterdeep:
I pour mead to the All-Father for
Hrjurnur, son of Hjurgen,
leveler of Ranauroch,
son of Ottar,
Jarl of the northern wind-teeth,
son of grand Annam,
All Seeing, All Knowing, All Quelling,
All Father
Fireheart,
Mighty reaver of the wyrm's core,
He who howled at the sun,
He of the quenched heart,
He who drowned in the river of swords

So if i understand it correctly the saga is written by Hroten, son of Ottar. It is written about Hrjurnur son of Hjurgen, son of Ottar. So Hroten is writing about his nephew.

Ottar is placed as the Jarl of the northern mountains, so he is one of the rulers of the subkingdoms of Ostoria and the southern mountains places that as the Spine of the World or the mountains around the Great Glacier.

Hjurgen levelled Ranauroch, which may be a city, and perhaps indicates some kind of civil war between the giant kingdoms. Or it could be a geographic formation, or perhaps a home for dragons given that this saga is about dragons.

Some later notes about the saga are below.
quote:

The wyrm's core: the dragon's backbone. Later in the saga, Hrotun demonstrates his strength by snapping a dragon's backbone over his knee.
As an unrelated matter of interest, it now appears likely that the word "wyrm" used as a synonym for dragon in a wide variety of languages spoken throughout the Realms was originally derived from Jotun, the tongue of the ancient giants.
According to ancient giant legends, the sun is home to a great fiery dragon god that led dragonkind in the war against the giants.
Quenched heart: broken heart. Later in the saga, after losing a contest of riddles, Hrotun is forced to allow the Queen of Dragons to devour his own child.
The river of swords: blood. At the saga's conclusion, Hrotun strikes down a dragon king and drowns in its spilt blood.

Ignoring the literal explanation (which father would let his own children be devoured by a dragon because he lost a contest of riddles), it looks like Hrjurnur was engaged in a battle with many dragons (mention of a king and queen), he seems to have tracked down the king and slew him in personal combat but in retaliation and possibly at the same time, his own children were slaughtered by the dragon's mate.
I'm going to guess that Hrjurnur was the ruler of the kingdom that Ottar was once the king of. His father Hrjurgen possibly attacked Ranauroch and started off a mini war between dragons and giants (after the big 1000 year war in which the giants and dragons decimated each other).
Hjurnur sought to end that war by striking directly at the leader of the dragons, but while he was doing so, the dragon's mate and offspring attacked the giant kingdom and possibly destroyed it.

Interesting that Hroten should then have been the ruler of that kingdom if all of Hjurnur's children were destroyed (him being the younger son of Ottar after Hrjurgen), but instead remained as a Skald, thus giving some support to the idea that the kingdom was destroyed.

Even better is that Ottar was the founder of the frost giants and so his kingdom may have been centred upon Karffbadh in the Sea of Moving Ice. So a battle with dragons in the north may have been what finally destroyed Karffbadh and caused the giants to scatter to Icewind Dale and the Spine of the World Mountains.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  19:43:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few more items of interest

quote:
Shortly after he was attracted to Toril, Annam married a lesser demigoddess who manifested herself as a vast mountain located on the edge of the region now known as The Cold Lands. Known variously as Sonnhild (in ancient Thorass), Deronain (in Auld Dwarvish), and Othea (in the common tongue of the giants), the demigoddess soon bore Annam several sons.

Obviously ignoring the stuff about marriage. Does marriage even exist for giants, and how or why would one marry a mountain.
I've speculated before about these huge mountains acting as conduits for the first life being born into Toril, but that theory aside we have a place known as the Cold Lands being the location of Othea.
There is a Cold Lands today, i believe it is an alternate name for Vaasa, Damara, Narfell and Sossal and probably included the land that is now covered by the Great Glacier.

So Othea existed somewhere on the edge of the Cold Lands, and i'm guessing its the eastern edge where the Great Glacier lies.

Interestingly enough, Ostoria was founded by Annam but makes no mention of him ever ruling the empire, it was subdivided among his sons and Lanaxis founded the capital of Voninheim amid the Ice Spires so it would appear that Annam was a figurehead emperor who perhaps was frequently absent or could not be bothered ruling. He appears not to have founded a tribe like his sons, instead creating only a single generation of offspring and leaving it at that.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  19:47:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Despite Othea’s best efforts, Annam eventually discovered her dalliance and sought revenge upon Ulutiu. Although accounts of the All-Father’s retribution vary, most giants accept the version of events popularized by the vast friezes at Hotun-Shûl, an enormous under- ground temple located somewhere beneath the Ice Spires. Fabled for their artistry and expanse (no human artist could possibly hew such colossal masterpieces from the living rock of the caverns), the friezes were sculpted by Illsenstaad, second son of Obadai and one of the earliest stone giants. Although the friezes themselves haven’t been glimpsed since Hotun-Shûl was razed by mysterious subterranean marauders more than 400 years ago, sketches and interpretations crafted by artisans who once visited the temple are available in the Realms’ larger libraries.
A Fragment From “The Meanderings Upon the Friezes of Hotun-Shûl” by Skrom Jek, Master Builder of Thay, as translated and annotated by Learned Rundigast, Sage of Waterdeep:
Ulutiu’s final breath is depicted as a violent tempest that shatters the ziggurat at Sheol-Div (panel #77).
His corpse is said to land on an icy death-barge located in the Cold Ocean (panel #81).
Once the barge sinks beneath the ocean, Ulutiu’s enchanted amulet begins to freeze the surrounding waters, creating the Great Glacier and Endless Ice Sea (panel #83).

Hotun Shal (Sal Hotun Wyrmrever was the name used for the Saga of the Dragon Queller, does Hotun mean Saga or Tale) appears to be a temple of sorts in the Icespires and was likely part of Voninheim which was also located in the Icespires.

Sheol Div is an odd thing, a ziggurat where Ulutiu lived. Ulutiu being a sea god then it is likely this was located in the lands around the Great Glacier near the ocean. Given the association with ziggurats and pyramids and the Spellweavers, could Ulutiu have been a spellweaver perhaps.

Annam kills Ulutiu and this huge great big tempest strikes and destroys Sheol Div (its ruins must still be around in the Great Glacier somewhere). Then Ulutiu is buried in a barge in the Cold Ocean. Now who interred Ulutiu, the only person around is Annam, who wouldnt have buried him out of kindness, he probably tried to get rid of the body by floating it out to sea.
Am i right in thinking that much of the Great Glacier used to be underwater, perhaps an inlet for the Endless Ice Sea.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  20:01:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In total, it took approximately 75 years for Ulutiu's amulet to reach the limit of its powers and freeze over the several hundred miles of sea that composed the Ice Sea at its height. As the frozen wastes expanded during this era, countless dwellings, villages, and strongholds were destroyed all across the region now known as the Cold Lands. In its last few years of expansion, the glacier even threatened to engulf Lanaxis' citadel at Voninheim, the remains of
Ostoria's capital.
Although Annam's sons quickly uncovered the secret of the creeping ice and learned how they might halt its progress, Othea forbade her children to set foot upon the glacier. To her, the ice was Ulutiu's just revenge upon a coldblooded murderer. Though the ice doomed Ostoria, Othea loved Ulutiu's children better than Annam's. All the ice really threatened was Annam's dream of a Toril ruled entirely by
giantkind.

So the great glacier expands several hundred miles in less than a century and even threatens to destroy Voninheim which is all the way over in the Icespires. I think this threat was due to climate change, altering the north of Faerun to be icebound for most of the year, which would cause problems to crop growth and animal rearing.

It turns out the giants knew how to stop the expansion, maybe even get rid of the Great Glacier. BUt they dont because Othea forbids it, taking it non literally, i suspect that there is still some magic that makes it too dangerous for the giants to venture onto the Great Glacier, perhaps the tempest created by Ulutiu's death still raged.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  20:23:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But Lanaxis, de facto leader of the giants, was so devoted to his father and Ostoria that he refused to accept his mother's will. As the glacier drew uncomfortably close to Voninheim, he summoned all of Annam's sons to his citadel and urged them to help mount an expedition after Ulutiu's amulet in defiance of Othea. When Dunmore, progenitor of the wood giants and Othea's final son (born of Ulutiu, not Annam, though Annam believed he fathered the wood giant), refused to disobey the demigoddess and threw the meeting into chaos, Lanaxis was forced to modify his plan.
This time, he resolved to poison Othea, removing the only obstacle to Ostoria's salvation. Unfortunately, his plans went awry. Lanaxis
poisoned not only Othea, but all his brothers (save Dunmore and Arno/Julian) as well. Just after she drank his poison, Othea cursed
Lanaxis and the ettin, saying that should Lanaxis leave her shadow, he would lose his immortality. Seeing this measure as the probable
end of Ostoria, Lanaxis' progeny, the titans, fled Toril altogether for the plane of Arborea.
Exactly what happened to Lanaxis himself remains something of a mystery. As for Othea, the moment Lanaxis' poison touched her lips, the mountain that served as her manifestation on Toril grew cragged, brittle, and moss-covered. For the next several weeks, Annam's final son remained trapped in the womb caves located far beneath the mountain's surface.

So Annam and his brothers resolve to journey to the Great Glacier anyway, but at some "meeting" Dunmore decides not to go and so Lanaxis manages to poison Othea and all his brothers except for Dunmore and Arno/Julian.

I've got a few problems here. You would have the meeting to mount an expedition in your own lands, which is many hundreds of miles away from Othea's potential location in the Great Glacier.
Then Lanaxis manages to stupidly poison a mountain, and all his brothers (there are about 10 of them), a pretty huge mistake. How do you poison a mountain of enormous magical power.
I suspect that given Dunmore survives he may have sabotaged things somehow.
I also suspect the poison was some sort of great magic (the giants were capable of great climate changing magics), Dunmore was part of that magic but deliberately did it wrong and it consumed the others but also destroyed whatever Othea was.

Interestingly enough i note Hartsvale is on the edge of the High Ice, which is adjacent to the Great Glacier and may once have been part of it. And then in Hartsvale there is a place known as the Eternal Blizzard.

Othea is supposed to have become cragged and broken and there is a plain north of the Ice Spires known as the Bleak Plains. It is possible that Othea is meant to be the Ice Spires themselves and that mountain range extends under the High Ice and joins with the mountains on the other side that form the Tuutsaas Range north of Ulutiu's Glacier.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  20:37:04  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Othea's body being the Galena and Earthspur Mountains? She was reaching out to her love Ulutiu when she died so that is how to two, smaller ranges stretched out to the north of the large, southern section. The Earthspur are her pelvis and legs while the Glacier of the White Worm formed where Hartkiller broke out of her dead body when he was born.

Also, when the Great Glacier encompassed the Glacier of the White Worm (as recently as 1038), that would be Ulutiu reaching out and embracing the body of his dead love. That would fit in with the rest of the giant myths.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  20:54:29  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, interesting stuff you got here. While none of what I'm about to say might be of any use to you I thought I'd come at it from a different angle. I'm going to weave some adventure in Giant land into my next campaign and I've been looking at Giantcraft for that. But I also have a great interest in old norse history and mythology which is as far as I can tell the major inspiration for the Giantcraft book.

quote:
I pour mead to the All-Father for
Hrjurnur, son of Hjurgen,
leveler of Ranauroch,
son of Ottar,
Jarl of the northern wind-teeth,
son of grand Annam,
All Seeing, All Knowing, All Quelling,
All Father
Fireheart,
Mighty reaver of the wyrm's core,
He who howled at the sun,
He of the quenched heart,
He who drowned in the river of swords

That's a terrible skald poem. It doesn't follow neither the drottkvätt, fornyrdislag nor ljodahattr format. However, they did get the "river of swords" kenning in there so that's something.

quote:
..which father would let his own children be devoured by a dragon because he lost a contest of riddles..

That kind of stuff happens all the time in our old sagas here in Scandinavia and the Icelandic sagas. I would take it at face value. Those kind of things were most likely meant to teach something to the listener (like honor, humility and so on). Like the ship Naglfar. When you die they take your nails for construction of the ship, and when it's finished sh't hits the fan. Quite clearly a way to scare children into cutting their nails.

quote:
..does Hotun mean Saga or Tale..

Most likely a "saga" is the same thing as a "tale" originally. Compare the word "saga" to the word "säga" (to say something) and "sagt" (to have said something). Also compare "tale" to "tal" (speech) and "tala" (to speak). Verbal storytelling was the shizzle back in the days. My guess is the use of the word "saga" is just an adoption of the old norse word in this case.

That's all I have to say about that. You make some interesting conclusions.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  21:36:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is indeed very useful. I always tend to view the myths and legends as being a very loose approximation to the reality of the situation. Using them as a cautionary tale is as good a reason as any for their existence (I normally use corruption over time as an explanation for their current state but societal influence works well and together it is even better).

I'll try and move away from the literal norse translations as much as I can even though there are obvious parallels in giantcraft.

Considering Hrotun is the first skald, and Hotun is similar in structure I'm comfortable with Hotun meaning saga, being derived from Hrotun's name. Then Sal Hotun Wyrmrever can mean Song of the Saga of the Dragon Queller. Sal sounds a bit like Skald so Skald can mean singer and Sal can be song.

Hotun Shal could be Echo of Saga's (since it's an underground chamber used to carve the different oral histories of the giants I would bet they are meant to be said aloud and the sound reverberate around the chamber for good effect. Shal is like Sal so it could be a past tense version.

Giantcraft is one of the worst books for realmslore but it is also one i keep coming back to because of the way it is written, always obviously unreliable and including songs and myths and legends.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  21:42:56  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad it was useful. If there is anything else in there that you're curious about if there is a real world counterpart that made shed some insight just drop me a DM. I'll try to remember to pop in here from time too.

Personally I kinda like Giantcraft. I'm definitely not going to be using all of the stuff in there for what I'm planning but some of it. And I like the ancient norse inspiration. :)

EDIT: If you want to stretch it a bit you can say "tun" is a song. Compare the word to the English "tune", and the Scandinavian "ton" (meaning tone as in musical tone). If you want to go that route you can say "ho" is a sound you make when you sing a hotun. Sort of like "fa la la la la" but instead it's a heavy "hoo ho-um hoo".

Edited by - Returnip on 09 Dec 2020 21:48:14
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  21:57:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

quote:
Shortly after he was attracted to Toril, Annam married a lesser demigoddess who manifested herself as a vast mountain located on the edge of the region now known as The Cold Lands. Known variously as Sonnhild (in ancient Thorass), Deronain (in Auld Dwarvish), and Othea (in the common tongue of the giants), the demigoddess soon bore Annam several sons.

Obviously ignoring the stuff about marriage. Does marriage even exist for giants, and how or why would one marry a mountain.

Why would one marry a mountain? Really tight tunnels? One that's without an ooze infestation obviously.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  22:05:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just ewwwww.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  22:34:52  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Why, indeed?

I like big buttes and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a hill walks in with an itty bitty grade
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung!

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  23:33:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

quote:

Why, indeed?

I like big buttes and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a hill walks in with an itty bitty grade
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung!

Marrying a mountain is an odd concept... Maybe it was the spirit of the mountain? Or maybe it's a definition of marriage that doesn't square with our modern concepts of marriage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Dec 2020 23:34:11
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  23:38:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ehem, on topic xD

Wasn't Tiamat the "Queen of Dragons" Hrotun fought against? At least, it's highly implied in Storm King's Thunder that this is the case. It's even said that one of the conditions for the truce between dragons and giants is that Tiamat must remain trapped in the Nine Hells.

Dunno who will be the Dragon King. Perhaps one of Tiamat's mates...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Dec 2020 23:40:43
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2020 :  23:55:02  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The marrying of the mountain could be inspired by the old norse creation myth too. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the shenanigans within it, but I'll give you an example from the prose edda. See if this makes more sense than shagging a pile of gravel:

The first world to exist was Muspell, a place of light and heat whose flames are so hot that those who are not native to that land cannot endure it.
Surt sits at Muspell's border, guarding the land with a flaming sword. At the end of the world he will vanquish all the gods and burn the whole world with fire.

Beyond Muspell lay the great and yawning void named Ginnungagap, and beyond Ginnungagap lay the dark, cold realm of Niflheim.
Ice, frost, wind, rain and heavy cold emanated from Niflheim, meeting in Ginnungagap the soft air, heat, light, and soft air from Muspell.

Where heat and cold met appeared thawing drops, and this running fluid grew into a giant frost ogre named Ymir.

Ymir slept, falling into a sweat. Under his left arm there grew a man and a woman. And one of his legs begot a son with the other. This was the beginning of the frost ogres.

Thawing frost then became a cow called Audhumla. Four rivers of milk ran from her teats, and she fed Ymir.

The cow licked salty ice blocks. After one day of licking, she freed a man's hair from the ice. After two days, his head appeared. On the third day the whole man was there. His name was Buri, and he was tall, strong, and handsome.
Buri begot a son named Bor, and Bor married Bestla, the daughter of a giant.

Aaaaaand so on and so forth. So many questions. Why did Ymir have to make kids with his legs when he had just spawned a man and a woman? Who did Buri have kids with? Did he hump one of Ymir's legs?

Edited by - Returnip on 09 Dec 2020 23:57:09
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  01:54:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

The marrying of the mountain could be inspired by the old norse creation myth too. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the shenanigans within it, but I'll give you an example from the prose edda. See if this makes more sense than shagging a pile of gravel:

The first world to exist was Muspell, a place of light and heat whose flames are so hot that those who are not native to that land cannot endure it.
Surt sits at Muspell's border, guarding the land with a flaming sword. At the end of the world he will vanquish all the gods and burn the whole world with fire.

Beyond Muspell lay the great and yawning void named Ginnungagap, and beyond Ginnungagap lay the dark, cold realm of Niflheim.
Ice, frost, wind, rain and heavy cold emanated from Niflheim, meeting in Ginnungagap the soft air, heat, light, and soft air from Muspell.

Where heat and cold met appeared thawing drops, and this running fluid grew into a giant frost ogre named Ymir.

Ymir slept, falling into a sweat. Under his left arm there grew a man and a woman. And one of his legs begot a son with the other. This was the beginning of the frost ogres.

Thawing frost then became a cow called Audhumla. Four rivers of milk ran from her teats, and she fed Ymir.

The cow licked salty ice blocks. After one day of licking, she freed a man's hair from the ice. After two days, his head appeared. On the third day the whole man was there. His name was Buri, and he was tall, strong, and handsome.
Buri begot a son named Bor, and Bor married Bestla, the daughter of a giant.

Aaaaaand so on and so forth. So many questions. Why did Ymir have to make kids with his legs when he had just spawned a man and a woman? Who did Buri have kids with? Did he hump one of Ymir's legs?

Oh, I can tell.... I'm gonna like you. I love those old norse myths and try to intermix them where I can with a twist into realms lore. For instance, in Rashemen there's a goddess that every piece of lore says corresponds to Chauntea (that being Bhalla). My take is that Bhalla is an entirely separate entity and its Faerunian "sages" saying she's Chauntea. The entity that she is has has her name "shortened" to Bhalla... her full name is Audum-Bhalla....Audumbla... the great cow that nursed ymir.

I've been writing up an entirely new "metahel" pantheon for the metahel humans in Anchorome that's driven by the idea that Odin, Frigga, died and Thor is now head of the pantheon... but there's all kinds of slight changes to the pantheon (sleipnir is an eight legged caribou instead of a horse and his name is besparr, the "vanir" are the "faernir", Sif is called Sifya and takes more of a spotlight as essentially now being the "Queen Mother" role, etc...).

There have also been those who basically see the god children of Annam as being Norse deities (for instance, Stronmaus the lord of Storm Giants as being Thor.... Annam the All-Father being Odin, etc...). I just can't get behind that because the norse gods SOOO hate giants, but its an interesting idea given that so many of the norse gods if you look at it are the children of giantesses.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 10 Dec 2020 02:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  08:00:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep the real world legends coming. I try and draw inspiration from wherever I can but taking then even slightly literally is not my thing.

The bit about Annam creating Hartkiller is another one of those legends I think. First Othea wont have his child done tricks her by transforming into a wind and blowing over her slopes.

Now to me that sounds like a way to dress up ra*e so that the perpetrator doesnt sound like a bad guy. The wind thing I imagine comes from him using the winds of magic to force whatever Othea was to create another being that resembled him.

The name Hartkiller is a puzzle though, its distinctly non-giantish. Perhaps it shall just be the common translation of a giantish word.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  14:19:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been thinking about the events around and after Ulutiu's death.

So giants and dragons are engaged in a war of destruction with each other and it would seem the dragons are winning.

Annam discovers that Othea produced children with Ulutiu and goes and kills him.

Now how does Annam discover that Othea had other children that werent his. Othea is a huge mountain, possibly located a long way away from Voninheim (the capital of Ostoria and presumably where Annam resided).

I can't imagine a conversation occuring between Annam and Othea, because one of these individuals is a mountain (no mouth). Furthermore one of these illegitimate children is Dunmore who must have been regarded by Annam as his own son in order for him to have been included in events by the other giants (Lanaxis did not consult with any of the other giantkin about his quest to retrieve Ulutiu's amulet).

If Annam did indeed create these giant children by magic, using Othea as a conduit (like the EArthmother and her children but with some outside force tinkering with the end result), then he would have known from the timings that individuals werent his unless someone else was also involved (With or without his knowledge). Was Ulutiu a rival in power and practice.

So did these giantkin and their progenitors take part in the war between giants and dragons. I had at one time assumed the giantkin were used as slaves by the true giants but they may not have existed in Ostoria at all.
I can envisage Annam creating his children over a long period of time, with Ulutiu doing similar meddling towards the end that overlapped with Dunmore (resulting in Dunmore being Ulutiu's), and possibly resulting in the sabotage of Arno / Julian, causing Annam to stop making more children.

Then Ulutiu sets about making his "children". Were these then sent to attack the giants, or did perhaps Annam come to Ulutiu seeking aid and discover the existence of these kindred, realising at last that Ulutiu had sabotaged some of his creations.

I dont really by the whole love and marriage. I dont think Othea was sentient as we would understand it, she's just a thing that makes other things. Annam was using her to give life to his creations, so anyone can use it, but i think Annam thought he was the only one.

He kills Ulutiu in a fit of rage and at that point he is supposed to have tried to have created another child, and then disappears never to be seen from again. The myth is that Othea bargained with him saying that if he returned she would get rid of his son.

I'm wondering if Annam may have died as a result of his battle with Ulutiu. Its not like anyone accompanied him to the battle with Ulutiu or witnessed it (no one else is mentioned in the myth) so i'm guessing the giants made it up after the fact based upon Annam's disappearance and the growth of the Great Glacier and the later appearance of Hartkiller claiming to be Annam's son

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  16:57:46  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Oh, I can tell.... I'm gonna like you.

The feeling is mutual.

quote:
I love those old norse myths and try to intermix them where I can with a twist into realms lore. For instance, in Rashemen there's a goddess that every piece of lore says corresponds to Chauntea (that being Bhalla). My take is that Bhalla is an entirely separate entity and its Faerunian "sages" saying she's Chauntea. The entity that she is has has her name "shortened" to Bhalla... her full name is Audum-Bhalla....Audumbla... the great cow that nursed ymir.

I've been writing up an entirely new "metahel" pantheon for the metahel humans in Anchorome that's driven by the idea that Odin, Frigga, died and Thor is now head of the pantheon... but there's all kinds of slight changes to the pantheon (sleipnir is an eight legged caribou instead of a horse and his name is besparr, the "vanir" are the "faernir", Sif is called Sifya and takes more of a spotlight as essentially now being the "Queen Mother" role, etc...).

There's some meta to consider. In the other theory about the old norse pantheon that I mentioned the only actual gods where Odin, Thor and Frey or Freya. I'd like to take it a bit further, because I think that the theory is well worth considering. What if Frey and Freya is the same entity? It can switch between man and woman, or maybe it even is both at the same time, a hermaphrodite? That would be perfect for a fertility god and it would come full circle within itself.

For those of you who think the theory I'm talking about is too detached from the Edda I recommend you to consider that the Edda was written hundreds of years after Scandinavia became Christian lands, and the Christian church did it's best to remove traces of old heathen faith or incorporate it into their own, to make the medicine go down easier. So read the book I linked if you're interested. Here's an example of how the Christening of Scandinavia went, greatly simplified for comedic effect:

Old heathen: "Well, Odin was the king of the gods and kings were killed ritually, hung in a tree and pierced with a spear."

Christian priest: "What a coincidence! Jesus was also a king and hung on a tree and pierced with a spear."

quote:

I try and draw inspiration from wherever I can but taking then even slightly literally is not my thing.

Rest assured I'm absolutely not trying to correct you because that would be dumb. Just inspire.

quote:
I can't imagine a conversation occuring between Annam and Othea, because one of these individuals is a mountain (no mouth).

If it makes it easier for you the "mountain form" can be her physical manifestation in Faerûn. Back on her home plane she can have another shape. With a mouth. So the reason why she's mentioned being a mountain is because mortals wrote the story about the gods and from their perspective she is a mountain on Faerûn. Just an idea.

Edited by - Returnip on 10 Dec 2020 17:04:47
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  20:47:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually picture Othea as Skadi (a goddess of mountains) and to a degree Ulutiu as Njord (a god of the sea). Of course, all of these great entities can likely shapechange, so taking the idea that Annam married a mountain shouldn't be thought of so literally. More likely she's a giant type of "being" with ties to elemental earth of some sort that may even be tied to a specific mountain range that has some kind of collective spirit.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  22:22:25  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another fictionalized mountain mating occurred in a late 90s' game called "King of Dragon Pass" and was integral to the world mythology and required for victory in the long game. The mountain goddess, Kero Fin, had birthed the two most important deities to a vaguely anglo-nordic people named after one of those gods, and she is the divine embodiment of Mount Kero Fin to which these people make pilgrimages and towards which they face their most important structures. The necessity of this is driven home by a prophecy delivered by a matron priestess of Maran Gor, a frightening goddess of natural disaster: "First," said the crone, "you must tame a dragon. Then, you must win the favor of the Brass Man. Finally, you must mate with the mountain, and thereby win the favor of the goddess Kero Fin." Complicating this is that there is not one way that guarantees how one should go about doing those things or that what you will be successful. Completing this prophecy is the only way to "win" the game by becoming King/Queen. There is so much symbolism that a recounting of the events at the end is bewildering. "You have taken pieces of old things, and made them into new and powerful things. You made things better by turning them into their opposites. You stopped a war by turning it into stones and mortar. You made peace by conjuring a wolf. You founded ancient secrets of the earth, and now use them to make another new thing, joining together the people of cows and storm with the people of horses and sun."

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  22:26:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for me, othea is listed as a demigod, that means not a true god, so she has only one body, and that is material plane bound. Demigod can of course move their body using legs normally, but Othea as a mountain makes that difficult.

I wouldn't normally take the form literal from a myth but this big mountain psychology and its association with giving life is repeated too many times in realmslore in too many separate places. Plus Othea never moves in the tales, she is static and passive and everything else moves around her. Plus it's nice to have something different. All deities thus far are human or humanoid or creature based, it's different to have a geographical entity be worshipped, and I really dont think othea was a god at all. The giants do not and I dont believe they ever did worship othea.

Then there would be the logical problems of annam fighting the dragons then jumping to the outer planes to have a conversation with othea, then jumping back to the material plane to kill ulutiu, then having a chat with othea and being told to leave toril forever so he jumps back to the outer planes and disappears. I never liked the explanation of Tiamat and Gilgeam doing something like this so it irks me because the more you examine it critically the less sense it makes.

Far better for everything to be based on the material plane. Othea was a mountain or a place spirit of immense power. Ulutiu was some kind of sea creature, and Annam was the first titan. He kills ulutiu and chucks him in the ocean, a tempest destroys sheol div and maybe kills annam and perhaps Othea. Whatever happened in that place no one knows because there was nobody to witness it. All they know is that Annam was never seen again, nor was ulutiu. A huge glacier appeared out of nowhere and the vale where Othea lived became barren and then got carved up by the expanding glacier. Magic reveals the amulet of ulutiu caused the glacier and so the legend begins about annam killing ulutiu and burying him on a sea barge that sank.

Millennia later Hartkiller arrives and says he is Annams son and he was trapped in that Vale and so you get this weird legend evolving over time about annam killing ulutiu and othea tricking annam into leaving toril until Hartkiller says his name otherwise she would keep him trapped inside her forever.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  22:30:21  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would a demigod not be able to manifest on the Prime Material Plane? Is that in the rules somewhere?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2020 :  23:52:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well for me, othea is listed as a demigod, that means not a true god, so she has only one body, and that is material plane bound. Demigod can of course move their body using legs normally, but Othea as a mountain makes that difficult.

A moderately powerful wizard can shapechange. Many dragons can also shapechange. A dryad is technically the soul of a tree, but they separate from it and present a form that can interact with other beings. If Othea is a demigod, I'd present her as more powerful than a simple wizard, dragon, and probably able to manifest herself in some form like a dryad. She may not be prime bound either, as there were demigods that had outer planar presences.

F&A says demipowers

Shapeshifting: Demipowers can change only into animate objects appropriate to their nature and portfolios. Their new form is an average example of the creature (with the addition of some superficial deific “special effects,” perhaps).

So, her role isn't so much "be a mountain" as "be a goddess of birth and fertility for new races". She could thus present herself "as a giantess" who is the soul of a mountain to Annam. She could present herself as a hag like thing to Vaprak. To Ulutiu, she might appear as a selkie or something. Maybe all the versions might have some "mountain" like aspects (hair that's made of stone or trees, gem eyes, snowcapped nipples, etc...)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  06:00:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Returnip,

We already know they can: Savras and Azuth, to name two.

In fact, Azuth, around 160DR'ish, tracked down Savras (who was a demi-god at that time) and beat him like a rug. That was over several years. So, not only can demi-god's manifest, they can hang out for a long time too.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  10:09:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randomly came across the parts about Annam and his titans warring with the batrachi and causing the tearfall.

This of course predates the creation of the giants and many would consider that it conflicts with current histories but i've had another heretical thought.

What if Annam was not a giant at all. He created his sons around -30000 DR, but that does not mean he did not exist before that time.

There are hints that the sarrukh fought against gigantic statues that are now known today as the Statues That Walk.

What if Annam was one of these enormous statues, created by Spellweavers and fighting against the encroaching empires of the sarrukh and then the batrachi. Annam could have been one of these huge statues, so could Omu, and an army of other similar beings, the biggest and most powerful golem like creations ever.

Tearfall destroys most of these huge golems, but it also frees Annam and some others (Moradin perhaps) from their bondage, making them self aware. Unable to have children himself, Annam uses whatever Othea is to create children in his image.

I realise its highly heretical but it would explain why Annam created his children and then abandoned them (a bit like data from star trek, he wants to have children but cannot "feel" enough to care about them). It also allows 4e prehistory to work with actual realms history.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  21:49:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Randomly came across the parts about Annam and his titans warring with the batrachi and causing the tearfall.

This of course predates the creation of the giants and many would consider that it conflicts with current histories but i've had another heretical thought.

What if Annam was not a giant at all. He created his sons around -30000 DR, but that does not mean he did not exist before that time.

There are hints that the sarrukh fought against gigantic statues that are now known today as the Statues That Walk.

What if Annam was one of these enormous statues, created by Spellweavers and fighting against the encroaching empires of the sarrukh and then the batrachi. Annam could have been one of these huge statues, so could Omu, and an army of other similar beings, the biggest and most powerful golem like creations ever.

Tearfall destroys most of these huge golems, but it also frees Annam and some others (Moradin perhaps) from their bondage, making them self aware. Unable to have children himself, Annam uses whatever Othea is to create children in his image.

I realise its highly heretical but it would explain why Annam created his children and then abandoned them (a bit like data from star trek, he wants to have children but cannot "feel" enough to care about them). It also allows 4e prehistory to work with actual realms history.

One thing to bear in mind, and that I myself often forget, didn't Annam father his GODLY children with a sky goddess, but his OTHER children on Othea? I'd imagine his GODLY children were fighting with him against the powers of the Batrachi. Did this mean avatars of those gods? Did it mean Annam was worshipped by some other group? I'd have to relook at the lore, and honestly, I need to do some other things tonight, but think on that.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2020 :  22:29:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cant be a god in the realms if you have no worshippers.

I'm going down the route of stronmaus and the other giant gods just being the true names of what we know as annams children. So Ottar's truename was skoreaus, and so on. Makes it easier to conceive and there is less god stuff. When you ascend to godhood your truename has to be shared anyway, otherwise how can your worshippers offer prayers to you and get magic power from you and try to communicate with you.

And how can you be a god of giants if there are no giants yet. So annam has his kids with Othea and when they die they become the gods of the giants and the histories lose the fact that otter and skoreaus are the same person (it's not that difficult of a stretch, nobody knows Bhaal was really the arcanist Tharlagaunt Bale, no one even knows what Banes mortal name was, and they only ascended one millennia ago).

It doesnt conflict any of the myths because there is no mention of the gods in any of the old giant history, only annam and his children (and a separate myth that says he must have fathered these other children on a different goddess on another plane or world, a myth likely made up later to explain why there are two lots of names).

Let's face it, who thought it was a great idea that annam had one lot of kids on toril and then a whole lot of other kids in another plane that became the gods of the giants. Just another horrible piece of giantcraft lore that we can mess with thanks to unreliable narrator.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2020 :  05:05:14  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cant be a god in the realms if you have no worshippers.

Today, but before the Time of Troubles that wasn't really an issue (especially in the distant past). Otherwise you have a chicken/egg problem. In the distant past when Ao was less restrictive, having deities just wander in and set up shop works fine as an origin (especially pantheon heads like Annam, Io, Corellon, Moradin, etc.).

quote:

I'm going down the route of stronmaus and the other giant gods just being the true names of what we know as annams children. So Ottar's truename was skoreaus, and so on. Makes it easier to conceive and there is less god stuff. When you ascend to godhood your truename has to be shared anyway, otherwise how can your worshippers offer prayers to you and get magic power from you and try to communicate with you.

The bodies of the founders of the races* still existed around 1369DR, kept as zombie-like undead (that still had considerable magical power) by Lanaxis. I could see their spirits merging with the existing deities, though they don't make clean 1:1 comparisons in all cases (and there are some deities representing the kin, or no particular race).

quote:

And how can you be a god of giants if there are no giants yet. So annam has his kids with Othea and when they die they become the gods of the giants and the histories lose the fact that otter and skoreaus are the same person (it's not that difficult of a stretch, nobody knows Bhaal was really the arcanist Tharlagaunt Bale, no one even knows what Banes mortal name was, and they only ascended one millennia ago).

Easy: Annam, as a lusty deity in the vein of Zeus (he's a mixture of Greek and Norse characteristics), was wandering the worlds of the Prime Material Plane and encounters Othea, a demigoddess who manifests as a mountain in norther Faerun (not unprecedented in historical mythology), and has kids with her. The strife in their relation makes sense if you see Annam as a multi-spheric power with interests and concerns across the planes, and Othea is a local power.

quote:

It doesnt conflict any of the myths because there is no mention of the gods in any of the old giant history, only annam and his children (and a separate myth that says he must have fathered these other children on a different goddess on another plane or world, a myth likely made up later to explain why there are two lots of names).

The lack of mention of the deities in the histories is only an issue if they are expected to be manifesting in the daily life, but in the novels, none of the deities directly appear except Annam, but they are still constantly referenced. That's not even all that unusual in the Realms.

quote:

Let's face it, who thought it was a great idea that annam had one lot of kids on toril and then a whole lot of other kids in another plane that became the gods of the giants. Just another horrible piece of giantcraft lore that we can mess with thanks to unreliable narrator.

I dunno, it seems fine to me. It is very much like Greek myth, and it makes sense from the 2e perspective of the deities being multispheric. Giantcraft is also primarily a sourcebook for covering most of the details in the Twilight Giants Saga without spoiling too much. If anyone is to blame, it is Troy Denning.

I think the book is fantastic for the most part, with the major issue being a poor integration into existing Forgotten Realms lore.

Jeff

* "[A]nd several others, among them the progenitors of some races not seen in the Ice Spires since before Hartsvale was a kingdom."
I've always assumed this references the giants of Zakhara, in part.

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000