Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Waterway to Skullport - how does it work?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  18:57:24  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I've been trying to find information on how the entrance through the southernmost sea cave in Waterdeep harbor links to Skullport harbor, but all I find is "it's hoists" or "magical locks". I can't find any satisfying explanation on how any of it works. Specifically I'm not thinking about the last retaining wall with a huge hoist that is operated by "The Keepers" and their zombies. That is pretty well explained. What I'm interested in is the way from the sea cave up until the Keeper enclave and their hoist.

Here's one explanation:

"The waters grow calmer as one travels deeper into the mountain, where a series of magic locks control the water level. Vessels descend hundreds of feet as they pass between them."

This supposedly account for the part from where you enter the sea cave and to where you pay the keepers to hoist your ship over their wall. HUNDREDS OF FEET!? I doubt it's a waterslide but since I can't find any more specific than "magic locks" I'm starting to think maybe it is.

Anyone know better and care to enlighten me?

On the other hand you have different fingers.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  19:11:31  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe I read about ship cranes being used as well, however that might not be official.

As far as magical locks goes, some might be portals perhaps.

I never saw anything ever indication a water slide, which provide varies logistical problems. Like stopping at end of slide and filling the underdark with water. The water has to come out some place back to the surface.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  19:59:42  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was joking about the waterslide. I find various vague explanations. I'm curious if they by "lock" mean that it's a series of lock gates with sluices. That would make more sense since that's actually how you travel on rivers "vertically" in the real world. They could have been more clear on that however.

EDIT: I guess I just answered my own question there.

Edited by - Returnip on 04 Dec 2020 20:39:43
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  20:44:29  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is via a zombie-powered hoist and it is described on page 8 of the Skullport 2e book. The whole process of getting a ship from the waters outside of Waterdeep to Skullport is covered.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  20:54:05  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

It is via a zombie-powered hoist and it is described on page 8 of the Skullport 2e book. The whole process of getting a ship from the waters outside of Waterdeep to Skullport is covered.

Right, but I said that the Keepers and their zombie powered hoist was not what I asked for. I was interested in how to get from the sea cave entrance to the hoist which is said to be a height difference of hundreds of feet. But I realised in my previous post that the "magical locks" must mean a system of lock gates and sluices.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  22:15:11  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Right, but I said that the Keepers and their zombie powered hoist was not what I asked for. I was interested in how to get from the sea cave entrance to the hoist which is said to be a height difference of hundreds of feet. But I realised in my previous post that the "magical locks" must mean a system of lock gates and sluices.

Kentinal had mentioned that he wasn't sure it was official about cranes being used. I was posting a reference to show that the hoist, etc is all canon for others who see this thread. I probably should have quoted him for clarity.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2020 :  22:53:40  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TheIriaeban

I see. And like you say it's very much canon.

There are different canon descriptions of the approach to that hoist however. The "magical locks" I mentioned, and "a series of hoists". I'll probably go with a series of lock gates. Probably magic as much as they operate automatically.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  20:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

So I've been trying to find information on how the entrance through the southernmost sea cave in Waterdeep harbor links to Skullport harbor, but all I find is "it's hoists" or "magical locks". I can't find any satisfying explanation on how any of it works. Specifically I'm not thinking about the last retaining wall with a huge hoist that is operated by "The Keepers" and their zombies. That is pretty well explained. What I'm interested in is the way from the sea cave up until the Keeper enclave and their hoist.

Here's one explanation:

"The waters grow calmer as one travels deeper into the mountain, where a series of magic locks control the water level. Vessels descend hundreds of feet as they pass between them."

This supposedly account for the part from where you enter the sea cave and to where you pay the keepers to hoist your ship over their wall. HUNDREDS OF FEET!? I doubt it's a waterslide but since I can't find any more specific than "magic locks" I'm starting to think maybe it is.

Anyone know better and care to enlighten me?

I never over-thought it. I imagined the hoists and magical locks were akin to boat lifts and flash/pound locks. Locks date back to at least ancient China, boat lifts to the 1770s. In the Realms, magic would be the source of power, although Gond and his clergy may take issue.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2020 :  21:06:34  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac
I never over-thought it. I imagined the hoists and magical locks were akin to boat lifts and flash/pound locks. Locks date back to at least ancient China, boat lifts to the 1770s. In the Realms, magic would be the source of power, although Gond and his clergy may take issue.

Hey, thanks for diving into the discussion. My main issue was that different sources contradicted each other, along with the fact that I didn't understand that they by "locks" meant lock gates rather than some other sort of lock. Now that I realise they meant regular lock gates albeit magical it all makes sense. Hoists I would stay away from as much as possible, no matter how old the technology is. You really don't want to lift a ship out of water too often to retain maximum structural integrity. That's why dry docks are used and smaller ships are winched out of the water on special trailers.

One hoist at the end of the passage is fine. I get that they want to keep the wall there for security. But hoisting a ship over and over again along a descent of hundreds of feet is too much (so I'll go with "magical lock gates").

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000