Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Eating Intelligent Creatures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  03:09:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe y'all could take it to PM, because you're going further and further astray from the topic.

I realize there is a moral angle to the original topic, but y'all have hopped off on a tangent and gone zooming off to Lurue only knows where.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  04:42:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

My apologies. I completely understand.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  13:13:40  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Maybe y'all could take it to PM, because you're going further and further astray from the topic.

I realize there is a moral angle to the original topic, but y'all have hopped off on a tangent and gone zooming off to Lurue only knows where.

Understood.

Cpthero2, PM sent.

On the other hand you have different fingers.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  13:30:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

There is a community of mind flayers in a giant skull-shaped station that farms beholder brains for regular consumption (Realmspace 2e).

They've developed at-will flight as a result, with their diet altering their bodies over time.

I can kind of see greedy, ambitious humans adopting a similar practice if they thought they could benefit in a similar or same fashion.

My first thoughts were "yeah, he's right"..... then I thought on seeing a huge pile of beholder brains that I would have to eat.... or going over to a book and studying magic.... beholder brains probably taste nasty... books give me more options.... maybe if I spiced the beholder brains, but that might taint them.... books it is.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  20:51:14  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Illithiad offered a list of species compatible (or incompatible) for illithid reproduction. Though it didn't say as much about which species would be suitable for illithid sustenance.

I don't imagine beholders would have much cerebrospinal fluid, since they lack any obvious spine and limbs. Then again, they do have big brains and are highly intelligent. And then again, they are thoroughly infused with magic, which (psionic) illithids find distasteful.

But psionic levitation is already a common ability among illithids. I don't see how they'd obtain it by eating junkfood.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 21 Dec 2020 01:00:34
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  21:30:39  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was my heading adjustment that sent the vessel off course. A thousand apologies, O Wooly one .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2020 :  22:26:15  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

I will say I appreciate your questioning of me though. It led to great discussion here, and Learned Scribe Returnip and I have had some great discussion in PM. He is an astute and engaging debater.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  00:08:12  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

they do have big brains and are highly intelligent.

It's the wrinkles. Not the size.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  01:05:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The image of a mind flayer wrapping it's glistening purple tentacles across the "face" (or the back of the skull?) of a big beholder is not especially endearing to me, lol, especially if the beholder retains any conscious control over it's gaze-attack eyestalks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  04:33:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Illithiad offered a list of species compatible (or incompatible) for illithid reproduction. Though it didn't say as much about which species would be suitable for illithid sustenance.

I don't imagine beholders would have much cerebrospinal fluid, since they lack any obvious spine and limbs. Then again, they do have big brains and are highly intelligent. And then again, they are thoroughly infused with magic, which (psionic) illithids find distasteful.

But psionic levitation is already a common ability among illithids. I don't see how they'd obtain it by eating junkfood.

It's another of the questionable things about Realmspace, and part of why I am reluctant to include it in Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  05:40:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

So what do you think, in the vein of the original post about "Eating Intelligent Creatures", about the consumption of intelligent creatures that are aberrations, or other similarly "alien" or otherwise thoroughly vile creatures?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 21 Dec 2020 19:49:46
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  16:20:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure how number of limbs affects cerebrospinal fluid (or even what said fluid might have in relation to flavor, powers, etc...), but I will note that their eyestalks kind of "act" like limbs and can turn in all kinds of directions, etc... So, in essence, from my viewpoint anyway... they have a lot of agility in relation to various "limbs".

That's a good point about them already having access to levitate. With psionics though they would have to expend power points to use it, so perhaps these guys have it as a "magical" ability instead (granted during 2e, psionics wasn't the default ability of beholders and were instead an add on ruleset, and the "base" mindflayer had levitation it appears). Personally, I'd prefer to make these mind flayers a lot more "odd", with tentacular eyestalks in addition to their tentacled mouths. My first thoughts are how dangerous they could be with anti-magical eyes, but that might be too far.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2020 :  00:02:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvasNot sure how number of limbs affects cerebrospinal fluid (or even what said fluid might have in relation to flavor, powers, etc...), but I will note that their eyestalks kind of "act" like limbs and can turn in all kinds of directions, etc... So, in essence, from my viewpoint anyway... they have a lot of agility in relation to various "limbs".

Illithids eat this fluid. I don't want to imagine or describe the flavours, though I'm sure that like any creature which eats they must find some sources of food preferable to others.

But it's probably more like some kind of psychic sustenance. Similar to how vampires are able to suck a victim's vital force while taking only a relatively small (an almost harmless) quantity of blood.

Though the manner of illithid feeding is more grotesque. And I'm sure the aftermath of a finished (or partially finished) illithid meal is an utterly nightmarish sight.

I wouldn't consider alignment or morals or ethics (or any lack of the same) being at all relevant to these sorts of predations. They eat what (and who) they eat because of their biology. They're no more evil than any other beast or man or monster who must kill and eat "lesser" beings simply to survive.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  03:13:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
I wouldn't consider alignment or morals or ethics (or any lack of the same) being at all relevant to these sorts of predations. They eat what (and who) they eat because of their biology. They're no more evil than any other beast or man or monster who must kill and eat "lesser" beings simply to survive.

On that sole front of eating what they need to survive, I would agree in a vacuum. Though, not all beings consider behavior moral through the same ethical lens. It really does depend on the ethic I feel.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  03:18:10  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dietary habits aside, the Mind Flayers also engage in slavery beyond anything we know and mind-rape. They're an evil bunch, no doubt about that.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  04:27:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
Dietary habits aside, the Mind Flayers also engage in slavery beyond anything we know and mind-rape. They're an evil bunch, no doubt about that.

Yeah, according to most ethics, slavery and of course, mind-raping, would be evil. It just depends on if the ethic defines morality through a lens of self-determination, dignity upon free will, and autonomy.

I could hypothetically see a fantasy setting where some society values, as a virtue, power to such an extent that control over another being is extolled. In such a society (hypothetical as it is), ones autonomy, dignity, and self-determination would be defined by the projection of power as the source of morality. A horrid, but interesting thought, from an ethical consideration, within the field of ethics.

Sounds a lot like Thay.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2020 :  17:43:25  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I could hypothetically see a fantasy setting where some society values, as a virtue, power to such an extent that control over another being is extolled. In such a society (hypothetical as it is), ones autonomy, dignity, and self-determination would be defined by the projection of power as the source of morality. A horrid, but interesting thought, from an ethical consideration, within the field of ethics.

Sounds a lot like Thay.

Best regards,

Were they inclined to justify their practices, they may choose to use such reasoning. As it stands, they probably liken humans and/or comparable species to cattle (in explicit role) or insects (in intellect); they wouldn't bother with the "courtesy" of cushioning their actions with an explanation.

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2020 :  18:01:28  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Were they inclined to justify their practices, they may choose to use such reasoning. As it stands, they probably liken humans and/or comparable species to cattle (in explicit role) or insects (in intellect); they wouldn't bother with the "courtesy" of cushioning their actions with an explanation.

Even in a society where that is the norm there will exist outliers who will reflect upon the norms and possibly question them. I would argue that this is even more true among highly intelligent species, such as Mindflayers.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2020 :  03:04:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Returnip

quote:

Even in a society where that is the norm there will exist outliers who will reflect upon the norms and possibly question them. I would argue that this is even more true among highly intelligent species, such as Mindflayers.

Vegan illithids! They only eat myconids!

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2020 :  15:28:04  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Or a cannibal cult that only eat other Illithids.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2020 :  17:00:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

<frightened camprestris huddle in the corner and quiver>

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2020 :  20:49:17  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There may be outliers in Illithid society, but they are exceedingly rare (as is the case with most Aberrations). As for intelligence...there is no shortage of intelligent sociopaths. I'd argue that wisdom and its attendant benefits (e.g., greater perception, empathy and understanding of consequences) are more likely to produce individuals less likely to torture others, but even that is no guarantee; there is no shortage of entities with high Wisdom scores and Evil Alignments.

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  11:19:02  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

There may be outliers in Illithid society, but they are exceedingly rare (as is the case with most Aberrations). As for intelligence...there is no shortage of intelligent sociopaths. I'd argue that wisdom and its attendant benefits (e.g., greater perception, empathy and understanding of consequences) are more likely to produce individuals less likely to torture others, but even that is no guarantee; there is no shortage of entities with high Wisdom scores and Evil Alignments.

Your choice of diet could be linked to lawful-chaotic axis rather than good-evil in my opinion. People eating meat usually have nothing to do with being evil rather than just tradition.

EDIT: To elaborate, if eating sentient, intelligent creatures was evil it would mean the majority of all humans are evil. This is because we are omnivores and can sustain ourselves on a vegetarian diet, needing only a fish a week or so to get some Omega 3. If we live in a warm, sunny climate even that might be superfluous. But most humans choose to eat meat anyway.

On that subject we can look at how we're biologically built. The aforementioned Illithids need sustenance from intelligent creatures to function normally. I recall reading somewhere about an Illithid that was trapped in some way and had to survive on animals like rats and such. This eventually led to it becoming more and more feral in nature because when feeding they absorb the victim's memories and personality. I would argue that this kind of deficiency disease would also be a result of farming beholders for food. While beholders have a high mental capacity, farmed beholders don't acquire a wide variety of memories, and the amount of experience needed to shape a nutritious personality.

Therefor I would argue that assuming someone eat what they need to function normally, the choice of diet is a matter of tradition or personal values and principle. An Illithid that is lazy enough to farm beholders for convenient food is basically eating junk food. It sustains them and keeps them alive, but over time the nourishment they need to thrive is lacking and they'll become lethargic.

Humans can benefit equally from a mostly vegetarian diet as they can from an omnivorous one assuming they know how to get all the nutrients they need which in turn assumes a familiarity with the diet in question, and that in turn suggests tradition which is connected to lawful alignment.

An Illithid that wants to eat healthy but doesn't want to go hunting themself would perhaps have others hunt and capture wild creatures for them to feed on.

Edited by - Returnip on 31 Dec 2020 14:42:46
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  14:55:45  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returnip, my previous comment was addressing the morality of Illithid practices that go beyond the consumption of intelligent brains: slavery and mind-rape. That said, there isn't much condemnation of regular meat-eating in Dungeons & Dragons. Elves - typically "Big Goods" in most settings - hunt animals for sustenance (carefully, but they do) and some inhabitants of the Good-aligned outer planes hunt for their food without losing their celestial status. Adamantite Dragons are arguably the noblest a dragon can get short of possessing actual divine heritage, but they too consume flesh.

quote:
AD&D Monstrous Compendium Outer Planes MC8 - Dragon, Adamantite

Climate/Terrain: Twin Paradises (Bytopia)
Diet: Carnivore
Intelligence: Genius (17-18)
Alignment: Neutral good

Adamantite dragons are perhaps the mightiest of dragonkind. They are the epitome of good, sacrificing whatever is necessary for the common good of intelligent creatures everywhere.

The adamantite dragons are the sell-appointed guardians of the Twin Paradises. These great creatures are extremely powerful and will come to the aid of any intelligent creature. It should be noted, however, that they are unconcerned with law or chaos, but only the protection of sentient lifeforms.

Adamantite dragons have little place in the ecosystem of the Twin Paradises. They can, however, be avaricious hunters with huge appetites. Adamantite dragons have no moral objection to hunting unintelligent lifeforms for food.

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  15:08:11  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Returnip, my previous comment was addressing the morality of Illithid practices that go beyond the consumption of intelligent brains: slavery and mind-rape.

I see. I read you wrong then.

EDIT: I should add that I find this discussion incredibly stimulating and it's given me a lot of ideas that I'll implement in my next campaign.

Perhaps the players are hired by someone to capture alive a certain creature, and bring it to their employer for a big reward. They have to build a holding cage and come up with a plan. If they question the employer they might learn that he or she is just an intermediary for someone with certain "exotic tastes".

Edited by - Returnip on 31 Dec 2020 15:13:42
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  15:34:51  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Returnip, my previous comment was addressing the morality of Illithid practices that go beyond the consumption of intelligent brains: slavery and mind-rape.

EDIT: I should add that I find this discussion incredibly stimulating and it's given me a lot of ideas that I'll implement in my next campaign.

Perhaps the players are hired by someone to capture alive a certain creature, and bring it to their employer for a big reward. They have to build a holding cage and come up with a plan. If they question the employer they might learn that he or she is just an intermediary for someone with certain "exotic tastes".

Here is an example of a Good-aligned Illithid. Curiously, she doesn't rely on a Ring of Sustenance.

Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  15:44:37  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Here is an example of a Good-aligned Illithid. Curiously, she doesn't rely on a Ring of Sustenance.

Hm. I wonder if Illithids actually need to eat brains at all or if it's just chocolate mousse with whipped cream for them? It is said to be a euphoric experience for them. Maybe they don't require intelligent brains for sustenance? Is that explicitly stated anywhere? Perhaps it's fully possible for them to survive as vegetarians or at least with some sort of more ascetic diet?

Edited by - Returnip on 31 Dec 2020 15:45:58
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  19:15:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The capture and return idea is always a more challenging one for the PCs... And it doesn't have to be for food. Maybe the person that wants the critter has their own menagerie. Maybe they intend to release it in a specific area and hunt it themselves, under more controlled (and favorable to them) circumstances than would occur in the wild. Maybe a wizard needs to harvest the critter's adrenal glands, but they have to be fresh when used....

This is all part of why I will always lament the move away from the 2E style of monster write-ups. In the 2E Monstrous Compendiums, each critter got at least a full page. Half the page was stats and art, but the other half was combat, organization, habitat/lair, preferred treasure, ecology -- and what you could use the critter for, whole or in pieces. Monster write-ups since then have lacked that information, turning the monsters into a bag of XP and GP.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  19:19:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Illithiad explained that illithids can survive, if necessary, by consuming the brains (tissues, fluids, thoughts) of "lesser" species. Presumably meaning the unintelligent, animal, or monstrous creatures they would never normally consume. But it's not a healthy diet for them, it causes starvation of mind and body, they grow physically weak and they lose psionic abilities. They go insane - no details are given about exactly what this means or how it's expressed - although the ones which show signs of "reverting" or "resonating" to the cognitive patterns of their host are relentlessly hunted by their brethren. (They use physical and psychic surgeries to excise the troublesome thoughts and memories, some of their subjects live, some die, some are too damaged for the process or become too damaged by the process and must be destroyed. They are not eaten and they are not returned to the brainpool because of possible taint or contagion.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 31 Dec 2020 19:20:45
Go to Top of Page

Returnip
Learned Scribe

221 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2020 :  19:57:08  Show Profile Send Returnip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Illithiad explained that illithids can survive, if necessary, by consuming the brains (tissues, fluids, thoughts) of "lesser" species. Presumably meaning the unintelligent, animal, or monstrous creatures they would never normally consume. But it's not a healthy diet for them, it causes starvation of mind and body, they grow physically weak and they lose psionic abilities. They go insane - no details are given about exactly what this means or how it's expressed - although the ones which show signs of "reverting" or "resonating" to the cognitive patterns of their host are relentlessly hunted by their brethren. (They use physical and psychic surgeries to excise the troublesome thoughts and memories, some of their subjects live, some die, some are too damaged for the process or become too damaged by the process and must be destroyed. They are not eaten and they are not returned to the brainpool because of possible taint or contagion.)

So that's a no then. Thanks for the clarification. What do you mean by brainpool? What is that and what purpose does it serve?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000