Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 NPC names: mundane versus exotic?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  01:23:24  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone.

In your games, do you feature plain real-life names such as James, Pierre, Yusuf, Anne, Sophia, Mei and the like? If you do, how do you determine the rough percentage of NPCs that sound "ordinary"? Is there a rhyme or reason...a method to your madness?

Come to think of it, "Albert" may very well be the exotic individual on a world with Alias, Alustriel and Azoun .

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  03:49:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I avoid real-world names. To me, if I recognize a real-world name whilst reading fantasy, it breaks immersion in the story.

The only times it doesn't bug me is if the fantasy world in question has some connection to Earth, or if the names are real-world but are not recognizable to me as real-world names.

For the first one, an example would be the Codex Alera books I'm currently reading. It's not explicitly stated in the books, but it's clear that in Alera's past, a bunch of Romans (the Lost Roman Legion) somehow wound up in this new world and built a new empire there. (It is explicitly stated that they're Romans, just not that it's the Lost Legion or that they're from another world).

For the second one, we need look no further than Elaine's books. Tzigone, Matteo, and Danilo are all real-world names -- but I didn't know that when I first read them. By the time I found out they were real names, they were already ingrained well enough in my mind that reading them in fiction doesn't bother me.

One of the canon names in the Realms that bugs me the most is Jack Ravenwild. Jack, because it's a real-world name. Ravenwild would be a great name, except for the fact the person bearing it comes from Raven's Bluff. It'd be like having a character named Tim Watersong from Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  05:12:31  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I avoid real-world names. To me, if I recognize a real-world name whilst reading fantasy, it breaks immersion in the story.

The only times it doesn't bug me is if the fantasy world in question has some connection to Earth, or if the names are real-world but are not recognizable to me as real-world names.

For the first one, an example would be the Codex Alera books I'm currently reading. It's not explicitly stated in the books, but it's clear that in Alera's past, a bunch of Romans (the Lost Roman Legion) somehow wound up in this new world and built a new empire there. (It is explicitly stated that they're Romans, just not that it's the Lost Legion or that they're from another world).

For the second one, we need look no further than Elaine's books. Tzigone, Matteo, and Danilo are all real-world names -- but I didn't know that when I first read them. By the time I found out they were real names, they were already ingrained well enough in my mind that reading them in fiction doesn't bother me.

One of the canon names in the Realms that bugs me the most is Jack Ravenwild. Jack, because it's a real-world name. Ravenwild would be a great name, except for the fact the person bearing it comes from Raven's Bluff. It'd be like having a character named Tim Watersong from Waterdeep.

I was reading through a list of Halfling NPCs and discovered that they are some of the biggest "offenders" when it comes to your criteria. YMMV, of course, depending on how well-traveled/well-read you are, but I think the following are unambiguously real.

* Allyia (sounds close to Aaliyah).
* Atherton.
* Baker.
* Bannister.
* Bertram.
* Carver.
* Cooper.
* Damien.
* Darrow.
* Dietr (Dieter).
* Ephram.
* Elisa.
* Erin.
* Fatima.
* Hamil.
* Hobart.
* Howard.
* Jayne.
* Lilith.
* Mazzy (I knew a guy with this surname).
* Olive.
* Patrick.
* Pike.
* Rashad.
* Saul.
* Tara.
* Tim.
* Watson.
* Willow.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Edited by - Azar on 03 Oct 2021 04:51:27
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  09:19:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Real names in FR material really peeves me. If you are bad at coming up with names, it is not hard at all to alter the real world names to seem more Realmsian. You can do Davyd, or Ribert or Maray or ... well, you get the idea. Rightly or wrongly, when I see a RW name in an FR product it causes me to think that the author/designer is either lazy or doesn't have a creative bone in their body. Just my 2 cp.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  09:25:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, Zorgon the Magnificent and Gilligan the Turquoise Blade are not good names?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  11:38:35  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If you are bad at coming up with names, it is not hard at all to alter the real world names to seem more Realmsian. You can do Davyd, or Ribert or Maray or ... well, you get the idea.

Ah. Basically...Jeremi is a fine Elven name, but Jeremy is a bridge too far?

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

So, Zorgon the Magnificent and Gilligan the Turquoise Blade are not good names?

Reported to the House Committee on Unoriginal Activities.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  15:55:35  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, common names like John, Frank, Amanda, or Linda are out of bounds. If it is a rarely heard name, that may be ok if it fits the race of the character. Shortened or nick names are fair game, though. I have someone with the name Cassidrae whose friends call her Cassi. That is a natural shorted form for her full name. Also, names like Ruby or Emerald or Ford (or their variations) are perfectly acceptable to me since those are items that occur in the game world. People are people and they are going to name their kids using the same thought processes no matter if they are on Earth or Toril. When I look at the Realms, I don't see a "fantasy world". I approach it as a real place with people who really aren't that different from the people on this world.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  16:29:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Real names in FR material really peeves me. If you are bad at coming up with names, it is not hard at all to alter the real world names to seem more Realmsian. You can do Davyd, or Ribert or Maray or ... well, you get the idea. Rightly or wrongly, when I see a RW name in an FR product it causes me to think that the author/designer is either lazy or doesn't have a creative bone in their body. Just my 2 cp.

-- George Krashos

I've commented on this before -- just changing one or two letters, or scrambling them, gives you something new.

To quote myself from a discussion in October:

"And there's no reason to use real-world names, either -- just swap a letter or two, and you've got a fantasy name. Instead of Marcus, go with Mardus or Tarkas or Makras. One of my fave published NPCs is named Jevicca -- an obvious take on Jessica, but made different by playing with just a few letters.

Another trick is anagrams. Marcus could be Mascur or Ruscam. Do an anagram and swap out a letter or two, you've got Sulcam or Ralmus.

You could even use non-names with those tricks -- collect can become Telcar or Corralt. Dice can become Kace or Kase.

There's just too many ways to avoid using real-world names to justify using one."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  16:31:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

For me, common names like John, Frank, Amanda, or Linda are out of bounds. If it is a rarely heard name, that may be ok if it fits the race of the character. Shortened or nick names are fair game, though. I have someone with the name Cassidrae whose friends call her Cassi. That is a natural shorted form for her full name. Also, names like Ruby or Emerald or Ford (or their variations) are perfectly acceptable to me since those are items that occur in the game world. People are people and they are going to name their kids using the same thought processes no matter if they are on Earth or Toril. When I look at the Realms, I don't see a "fantasy world". I approach it as a real place with people who really aren't that different from the people on this world.

I will agree on the part of naming people after objects. Though I never got a response, I asked Ed about naming girl children after flowers, because I know it's a common thing in the real world.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  16:43:11  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I will agree on the part of naming people after objects. Though I never got a response, I asked Ed about naming girl children after flowers, because I know it's a common thing in the real world.

It CAN get a bit weird, though, when you use FR specific plants: "And this is my daughter Goblinberry."

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  16:50:59  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not mind tweaking RL names with a different set of consonants or vowels. For one gaming example, I am good with changing "Jessica" to "Jevvica".

Also keep RL off-the-cuff nicknames out of the sessions. Your character does not refer to the faerie dragon as "Bong Hit" while in character.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  17:02:39  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We did have a halfling thief nicknamed Gracie. He was an obnoxious little creep that failed a saving throw on a slippery surface when everyone else in the party succeeded. One of the wizards said "That was very graceful. Nice going." and it just stuck.

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  17:05:37  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We did have a halfling thief nicknamed Gracie. He was an obnoxious little creep that failed a saving throw on a slippery surface when everyone else in the party succeeded. One of the wizards said "That was very graceful. Nice going." and it just stuck.

That is funny and quite appropriate to your game. I would have objected as a DM if it were a player's blatant reference to the Brazilian ju-jitsu family.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  17:08:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Cordio Muffinhead.

-That's all.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  17:27:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It CAN get a bit weird, though, when you use FR specific plants: "And this is my daughter Goblinberry."

I heard she was dating Crimsonrod's son, Bluewood, and she was "saving herself for marriage". Talk about a negotiating tactic....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 29 Nov 2020 17:31:19
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  17:29:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once named a icewinddale 2 female wizard made with a mash up of keys and left it at the time. Thought it sounded interesting and cool( yeah this was well over a decade ago) and only a few years afterwards I found out that where the letters landed was an uncommon rw name...
sadly being that long, I do not remember what it was.... just hte minor detail...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 29 Nov 2020 17:34:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  17:49:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've twice come up with names for female characters, and thought that I was creating the names myself -- but then discovered they were existing, real-world names.

I'm still inclined to use one of them, though, because I really like the name, and because it was something like 20 years after I came up with it that I found out it was real.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  18:01:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

I've commented on this before -- just changing one or two letters, or scrambling them, gives you something new.

"And there's no reason to use real-world names, either -- just swap a letter or two, and you've got a fantasy name. Instead of Marcus, go with Mardus or Tarkas or Makras. One of my fave published NPCs is named Jevicca -- an obvious take on Jessica, but made different by playing with just a few letters.

Another trick is anagrams. Marcus could be Mascur or Ruscam. Do an anagram and swap out a letter or two, you've got Sulcam or Ralmus.

You could even use non-names with those tricks -- collect can become Telcar or Corralt. Dice can become Kace or Kase.

There's just too many ways to avoid using real-world names to justify using one."

One of my favorites was one I recently heard with the witcher tv series. Jennifer to Yennefer (especially poignant given that in some rw cultures a J sounds like Y).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  18:45:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khalid from the Baldur's gate games, iirc his name is arabic...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  19:12:33  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

I heard she was dating Crimsonrod's son, Bluewood, and she was "saving herself for marriage". Talk about a negotiating tactic....

That doesn't surprise me. As the old saying goes "The only thing that matters is the danters."

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  21:55:51  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've twice come up with names for female characters, and thought that I was creating the names myself -- but then discovered they were existing, real-world names.

I'm still inclined to use one of them, though, because I really like the name, and because it was something like 20 years after I came up with it that I found out it was real.

THAT is precisely what prompted me to create this thread; I imagined a female Half-Elf Ranger NPC with a first name that you'd disapprove of (for it is unambiguously real) and a surname that I thought was either unique or at least extremely rare. When it turned out that the surname is used for a number of businesses, there was this urge to throw my hands in the air in a minor act of frustration. I'm still going to use those names, potential insinuations of laziness or unoriginality be damned.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Khalid from the Baldur's gate games, iirc his name is arabic...

Correct. Also, I am somewhat certain that Minsc is named after a city in Belarus.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

One of my favorites was one I recently heard with the witcher tv series. Jennifer to Yennefer (especially poignant given that in some rw cultures a J sounds like Y).

Jasmine <-> Yasmine (often pronounced YAHZ-meen).

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  00:47:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually like names grounded in a bit more reality. Considering how much "real" world elements of Earth has bled into the Forgotten Realms, it's not a far stretch to see names like Mikal, Greggory, Pavel, Ewyn (a great name for a character from the Moonshea Isles), Raynard (a good name for a Sembian merchant or Purple Dragon Knight), Arvid (Rasheman fits here), etc.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  01:28:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Cordio Muffinhead.

-That's all.

I did once post in response to that name in a similar thread here at the 'Keep. It was:

Of course a "marfin" in the Realms is the dwarven name for the full-face battlemasks made popular by the dwarves of Clan Goldforge of the now-lost realm of Besilmer. Their clan champion, Marfin, blood of Agamm, son of Kheldar commissioned the first of these when he took part in his first Dragonmoot against the dread red wyrm Palarathax "the Firescourge" of Mount Norbas (located in the Sword Mountains and named for the gnome clan that inhabited it before the dragon brought death and devastation to their hold). From that time on, it became a popular cognomen among the dwarves but the passage of time and the sly insinuation of the common tongue into most dwarven converse saw the name corrupted to "Muffinhead".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  01:53:33  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Cordio Muffinhead.

-That's all.

Or Floon Blagmaar.

I can totally endure a character named like that if they are members of the comic relief races (halflings, gnomes), because, it's their job to be ridiculous. But I don't withstand humans or dwarves or elves, lol

I guess that this trend of using ridiculous sounding names is another relic of 2e I would be happy if they just got rid of it. Alongside the flumphs...

But, I also like consistency and world-building. So, I prefer appropriate names if the author also has some logic in naming characters or places. A conlang, as they call it. So, yeah, I won't use real world names when Ed has created a huge list of names with a logical grammatical pattern.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  03:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though not all are fantastic, I’ve found this resource to be of truly epic help when needing a name on the fly.

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  04:36:35  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Though not all are fantastic, I’ve found this resource to be of truly epic help when needing a name on the fly.

What is your opinion on this subject? Are "Earth names" ever acceptable in a Forgotten Realms campaign/module/video game/novel/et cetera?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  04:58:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

-Cordio Muffinhead.

-That's all.

Or Floon Blagmaar.

I can totally endure a character named like that if they are members of the comic relief races (halflings, gnomes), because, it's their job to be ridiculous. But I don't withstand humans or dwarves or elves, lol

I guess that this trend of using ridiculous sounding names is another relic of 2e I would be happy if they just got rid of it. Alongside the flumphs...

I wouldn't call it a relic of 2E -- that was the ruleset when a lot of those ridiculous names were made, but it wasn't because of the rules, it was because of the authors. More of those names happened in 2E just because that's when most of the fiction was published.

And a lot of the bad names are from one author.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Nov 2020 05:03:26
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  05:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

What is your opinion on this subject? Are "Earth names" ever acceptable in a Forgotten Realms campaign/module/video game/novel/et cetera?

I tend to avoid them personally but of all the things that could bother me that I see (disrespect for old lore, retcon for the new cool thing) it factors very low on the annoyance scale. Yeah Muffinhead was a bad one.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  05:12:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking on it a bit more...

Yeah, I get it, some people are bad at making up names. But there are online name generators, lists of names people have come up with, name-generating apps, tricks like the ones I mentioned...

Not only that, but if I was a successful author, and I was bad with names, there's one other easy resource -- the fans. Do a contest on social media or on your website. Make it clear that any names submitted are yours forever, and then do something like promise signed copies of the next book to the people who give the names you like best. I've also seen authors auction off character spots -- pay the most money, you name (or even design) the character.

There's too many resources out there for there to be any justifications for bad names.

Also, editors are partially to blame, here -- Cordio is a bit of a stretch, but there's no way Muffinhead should have ever gotten past the editor.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Nov 2020 05:12:28
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  05:36:20  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wouldn't call it a relic of 2E -- that was the ruleset when a lot of those ridiculous names were made, but it wasn't because of the rules, it was because of the authors. More of those names happened in 2E just because that's when most of the fiction was published.

And a lot of the bad names are from one author.

And I can (or try to) understand why they did it: they just wanted to avoid all that Satanic Panic trouble. So, flanderizing D&D was a necessity back then. But it isn't today. They shouldn't bring it back.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2020 :  06:11:06  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in the camp of avoiding real-world names where ever possible. I often try to come up with names that seem like they are from language or region, especially Anglo-Saxon, Welsh, Roman, or Greek if I want to convey a culture they're from without needing to detail it (mostly in Spelljammer). I'm not always as successful as I'd like, though I have succeeded in twisting my player's tongues. ;)

One of the reasons I avoid real-world names is that many are theophoric, meaning they include the name of a deity. *Many* Biblical names common in western languages are these, as the element "-el" in Michael, Samuel, Elijah, etc. means God and ones that include jo- (Jonathan), -jah (as in Elijah above), and -iah (Obadiah) reference Yahweh. These would be, IMO, inappropriate for the Realms. Similarly, names like Theodore or Dennis that also reference deities (God in the first, Dionysos in the second).

That said, I think there should be more theophoric names in the realms, especially in the Old Empires region (although many of the names in FR10 are outright names of famous historical figures and should be ignored/changed). You could have names like Lathandos or Lathandria, Shaundarun, Beshia, Seluva, Silvandoth, Lliirania, etc. They wouldn't mean anything in particular, like indicating the individuals are members of the given deity's church. It would just be a name to most people.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000