Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why be human in 5e with new rules - Tasha's
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  19:36:51  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it will change post-Tahsa's, but I'm positive what we'll see is the Custom Lineage taking the #1 spot (What? I can take a feat, keep darkvision and look like whatever my favorite race is? Sign me up!)

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  19:40:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or, at the very least, humans are going to drop off completely as they'll be supplanted by the custom lineage with its darvkvision and +2 stat bonus.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  19:47:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

We got an updated top 5 from D&D Beyond here (https://www.geeknative.com/103964/the-most-popular-dd-races-in-dd-beyond-in-2020/):

1. Human
2. Half-Elf
3. Dragonborn
4. Tiefling
5. Half-Orc

It seems 2020 saw a rise in the popularity of non-Tolkienian races, but humans are still top 1. This is going to change post-Tasha's, surely, with dwarves entering the top 5 again thanks to min/maxers

So, its based on only people using D&D beyond to make their characters? I don't, and noone I know does (granted the pool of local gamers I deal with is maybe all of 20 people). Everyone I know either does it with pen and paper or has some PDF they found that helps them quickly do it. So, out of curiosity, from the folks here, how many actually use the D&D beyond app to make their characters? Also, since you can create unlimited characters, if one person were to create dozens of dragonborn just to skew their results, would it?

I've never actually checked out the app until right now. Do you really have to pay like 30 bucks to get access to a book in their software that you may have already bought a real copy of (I just randomly clicked the Theros book)? I see there's some legendary bundle for $760 to have access to 40 books. Plus an annual fee on top of that. I'd be intrigued to try it out, but that's steep entry.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 17 Dec 2020 19:50:26
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  20:06:55  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but you pay in groups. So, if you buy a book there, it benefits all the accounts associated (a DM and up to 5 players, IIRC). You may have the book in the flesh, but maybe your player don't, and so he got benefited. There is the bundle, but no fee. If you don't pay, you only get access to basic 5e (the free rules) -- and yes, you can use the free rules to create characters in the app, so I guess those count for the statistics.

And yes, it's only for people using their site, and yes, it's more numerous people than one may think. D&D Beyond is mostly used by new players (in contrast to us old timers, who prefer a pdf or the trusty pen & paper), who mostly are female and non-binary players (generally speaking), and as the percentage in the playerbase of the latter 2 rises (which is great!), the races they resonate more with (such as dragonborn and tieflings) will rise in popularity.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 17 Dec 2020 20:19:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  21:41:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yes, it's only for people using their site, and yes, it's more numerous people than one may think. D&D Beyond is mostly used by new players (in contrast to us old timers, who prefer a pdf or the trusty pen & paper), who mostly are female and non-binary players (generally speaking), and as the percentage in the playerbase of the latter 2 rises (which is great!), the races they resonate more with (such as dragonborn and tieflings) will rise in popularity.

Not contesting anything... Just wondering, has WotC shared usage demographics? I rarely go to their site, any more, so I'd not seen any kind of breakdown like that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  22:06:50  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Damn, I'd love to see that too. Though, to be perfectly frank here, I would question there shared data anyhow. They lied through and through during 4e on releases about interest, etc. in the edition. Their motives would likely skew any report. It would be interesting nonetheless to see what they decide to put out for consumption.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  23:03:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Damn, I'd love to see that too. Though, to be perfectly frank here, I would question there shared data anyhow. They lied through and through during 4e on releases about interest, etc. in the edition. Their motives would likely skew any report. It would be interesting nonetheless to see what they decide to put out for consumption.

Best regards,

My distrust of them does not extend so far as yours. My distrust is limited to their setting support, nothing else.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2020 :  23:20:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, but you pay in groups. So, if you buy a book there, it benefits all the accounts associated (a DM and up to 5 players, IIRC). You may have the book in the flesh, but maybe your player don't, and so he got benefited. There is the bundle, but no fee. If you don't pay, you only get access to basic 5e (the free rules) -- and yes, you can use the free rules to create characters in the app, so I guess those count for the statistics.

Hmm, actually it said you can share it with 12 people in 5 separate "campaigns", but then you have to HAVE 12 people at the time willing to share & pay, and the way groups come together .... I'd bet you'd be more likely to get the 5 at a time and then end up having someone leave the group and someone new come in and have to share to the new person all the old stuff without them paying anything. If someone played in multiple groups with multiple DM's (I did when I was younger, not anymore by a longshot) that might be a problem. But the way things have always gone when I was the DM, I had to provide the tools and the players might chip in a bit here and there (usually because some of my players couldn't afford the extras, not even new rulebooks as they came out, etc..). So, like for etools for 3.5e, I footed 75% of the cost, but if I recall, its add ons were only like $5 each or so, not $30, and they had group packages too for multiple books to lessen the cost. Granted, I had to install it on 3 of my PC's so everyone could use it (personal laptop, desktop, and an old work laptop), and this lets everyone install it on their personal system if they buy a subscription

Anyway, didn't really mean to turn this into any sort of gripe about the tool cost. I'm just hashing it out in my head as I type. It still seems kind of high, and as you note, it seems skewed by the user base that's using it. I'd suspect (without anything to back up what I'm about to say) that a lot of those folk aren't buying all the add ons, so the other optional races aren't even available to them in the program. Then again, they may all be buying just the wildemount and/or maybe the new theros book, since they have a lot of races in those.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 17 Dec 2020 23:31:54
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2020 :  11:58:23  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of getting back to my feat idea above (this will be slightly off topic). My next campaign is likely to be in the Birthright setting. I'm going to allow humans their beginning feat and 'disallow' feats when gaining levels. By 'disallow' I mean that only ASIs will be gained with feats only being acquired either trough the Training action (and then only when I approve it) or gained through magic items that bestow such abilities on them (a magic helm that grants the Alertness feat, for instance). Of coarse, certain blood abilities may add a feat as well, but that's a separate mechanic.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2020 :  14:00:55  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Rupert,

Best regards,

I hardly believe they are lying here. Unlike in 4e, D&D is quite popular and selling like hot cakes right now. And as I said, the new generation of players has interests way different to those of the old players. For instance, dwarves represent certain stereotypes they don't identify with, while tieflings has an incredible appeal to non-binary players.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2020 :  07:40:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

quote:
My distrust of them does not extend so far as yours. My distrust is limited to their setting support, nothing else.

That is true. I've had some first hand experiences (one of them at Winter Fantasy 2000) that were pretty remarkably awful. I'm not looking to call out people by name from WotC (and I won't), but I'll say anyone familiar with the zoo debacle would be familiar with the cavalcade of insanity that followed and thus demonstrated the inherent willingness to... creatively... reimagine things. haha ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000