Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Southern Continent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  07:56:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
Can't say I like the notion of "oneirium", a tangible material "dreamstuff".

I completely get what you mean by that. I see it as sort of an illusory situation, possibly. If done like psilocybin, and you just let it happen, you could enter the dream real more functional, and be able to deal with things better, with whatever you encounter.

Of course, all of that stuff is very subjective. It's extremely cool to think about and discuss though.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  12:37:18  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Can't say I like the notion of "oneirium", a tangible material "dreamstuff".

Because it invites material substances to condense all sorts of other intangibles ... "elysium", "monadium", "infinitium", "pandemonium", "solarium", "chronium", "psychometrium", etc ... things which are better left intangible. Things a character should not be able to stuff into a container and carry around.

There is precedent for such material in another D&D setting: Planescape.

quote:
TRUE COLD

A "true cold" area of the paraplane is a region in which more than just water or flesh can freeze. A substance, energy, word, thought or even a concept like "goodness" or "nearness" can freeze solid, taking on the form of a strange ice crystal. While frozen, the item, thought or whatever it is has no power or meaning.

Some outsiders enjoy scouring the true cold areas of Ice for frozen ideas, which they take back with them. Once removed from the frigid temperatures of the paraplane, the prizes thaw, usually within a specially prepared container. Then, they might be used somehow to power a magical item or an esoteric scheme, or simply sold for profit. I've heard that Sigil's Great Bazaar offers anything a buyer might want, but I'll wager that even some of the most jaded planars are surprised to find distilled "chaos", bottled "sadness" or liquid "left" for sale.

I wouldn't feature a bazaar where tangible intangibles can be purchased, but...using these "impossibilities" as part of an adventure? That could work.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  20:59:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
TRUE COLD

A "true cold" area of the paraplane is a region in which more than just water or flesh can freeze.

quote:
I wouldn't feature a bazaar where tangible intangibles can be purchased, but...using these "impossibilities" as part of an adventure? That could work.

I hear you there. That is pretty much how I would go about it as well. It can add some spice, but the rarity of it, and difficulty procuring it can be the adventure itself.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  21:20:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fair enough. When we are selective about which lore is (and is not) valid then it really all boils down to opinion.

I happen to be a diehard Planescape fan (see my avatar, lol). I do like the notion of distilled elements from the Elemental planes - fundamental building blocks of the universe, leakages and interactions through elemental vortices, all of that. Alchemy with raw elements can produce all sorts of interesting items. I'm less enthused about the notion of distilled elements from demiplanes - things which can only manifest in somewhat tangible forms due to the peculiar intrinsic properties of these cosmic half-places, things sustained by abstracts which don't always exist anywhere else in the D&D cosmos.

Later planeslore does contain all sorts of wonderful ideas. And it's a nearly-infinite setting filled with all sorts of inexplicable weirdness. I'm just of the opinion that substances like oneirium are interesting novelties yet would be uncompelling additions to the wider setting. And I dislike the notion of a "demiplane of dreams" since it introduces other convolutions ... questions like whether or not deities and powers can dream, whether or not "dead" or "dormant" gods might dream, whether or not they are captured by this place when they dream, etc ... I'd hate to have a demiplane inhabited by Karsus without establishing a very good reason consistent to all other planeslore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  21:26:06  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
Fair enough. When we are selective about which lore is (and is not) valid then it really all boils down to opinion. I happen to be a diehard Planescape fan (see my avatar, lol).

I hear you there. I love Planescape myself. Not particularly knowledgeable in that arena, but great stuff. I almost wish they'd bring it back, but then, I know that WotC would likely screw it up, so better to leave it be.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2020 :  17:17:48  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I completely get what you mean by that. I see it as sort of an illusory situation, possibly. If done like psilocybin, and you just let it happen, you could enter the dream real more functional, and be able to deal with things better, with whatever you encounter.

-That's pretty much what it is. I want to say it was a specifically an opioid analogue to some degree when originally envisioned, but any psychotropic would work. Lucid Dreaming was supposed to be an important game mechanic and substances to increase the effectiveness of it was what that and Dreamstones and whatever else was for.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2020 :  18:17:43  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Karsus,

Nice. Yeah, I really like the idea of lucid dreaming with substances in addition to magic as it has this really uncontrolled element to it that adds some subjective, unknown, danger to the situation. Kind of cool!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000