Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Unupdated Regions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2020 :  16:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the book was bad and the ending even worse (or lack thereof). However, it did pique my interest in the region. I saw potential that was wasted. A backbone of an idea that was never developed properly.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2020 :  18:13:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

Yeah the book was bad and the ending even worse (or lack thereof). However, it did pique my interest in the region. I saw potential that was wasted. A backbone of an idea that was never developed properly.

Yeah, that's how I basically felt. It tittered on exploring the area, giving it a feel that was unlike most places in the realms. I was surprised to find fiendish beings in the area. That being said, I didn't read this until about 3 years ago, and only because I found out that it explored the Utter East. I was specifically reading it looking for anything Utter East lore based and not for the plot of the story. The plot itself, of some hunchback human with something like an ogre henchman looking for a place where he would no longer be ugly.... I feel like it was possibly right after beauty and the beast came out or something and someone was influenced by that. But the outlying area itself was somewhat intriguing enough and it had little development. Then I found the threads here with BadCatman and Markustay talking about the Utter East. I think this region is one that could use some developmental love and actually have some spellplague/sundering shenanigans happen and most people wouldn't bitch. Essentially, the only lore for the utter east seems to be from the blood and magic game, faces of deceoption, the double diamond triangle series (still haven't read it, but I have it), and some GHotR updates, and maybe some hints from hordelands.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2020 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader slevyas, Senior Scribe Seethyr, and Master Rupert,

That is disheartening. I was just thinking about how cool that would be to check that place out in a novel, and I am thinking not, now.

Glad I have the heads up on that!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2021 :  05:43:18  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas and Senior Scribe Seethyr,

I completed reading the novel, Faces of Deception, and I have to say: it was a very enjoyable read. I'm not shocked to hear that it was not well received based on particular comments made here within this scroll.

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I'd be curious to hear why you felt the book was bad, as it appears you felt it was bad in general.

As to the ending, I actually thought the ending was done extremely well. If you go back to what The Sannyasi said, Atreus would leave the vale. The way I saw Atreus depart the vale with Rishi in that boat, made me think of the inability for Seema and Atreus to be together. It was harsh, a bit hopeless, and left me feeling like the story was an open ended, but hopeless story. I loved that ending.

It was great because it wasn't like every other story that finishes everything up nice and neat with a bow on top. The frustration with the ending was really appealing to me.

Great Reader sleyvas
quote:
Yeah, that's how I basically felt. It tittered on exploring the area, giving it a feel that was unlike most places in the realms.

Yeah, that's part of what I loved about it. It was described specifically in the novel that it would take a very long time to even touch understanding the expanse of the vale, but they only had a handful of days there. I think in that regard, it was done well. The mystery of that vale was definitely part of the appeal, at least for me.

quote:
I was surprised to find fiendish beings in the area.

I felt this was quite apropos. Devils and demons especially, are always looking to defile the most holy, untouched places. The fact that they are seeking it out for their own gain, seems to suit their perverted ethical and moral outlook in life, as well as to benefit them. Seemed like a legit inclusion of a bad guy, and one that would have the resources to actually find it. It was said in Dragon Annual #3 that the location "known only to a few of Toril's Heartland sages." (Dragon Annual #3, p.112)

quote:
The plot itself, of some hunchback human with something like an ogre henchman looking for a place where he would no longer be ugly.... I feel like it was possibly right after beauty and the beast came out or something and someone was influenced by that.

I suppose it is possible that the TV show from 1987 and the film from 1991 influenced the book with the misshapen man component, but we're talking several years, so I am unsure.

As to looking for a place where he would no longer be ugly, I think that misses the mark of the text specifically as written. Atreus was instructed by Sune to get a sparkling vile of water from the Fountain of Infinite Grace and return with it to Erlkazar. The implication being, get some beauty water, bring it back, and I'll fix your wrecked face. To provide a cool background story for him though, he was one of the few noble family members to live through the Ten Black Days of Eleint (hence his false name) in Tethyr. I honestly think that is pretty cool. The fact that a polymorph went awry, and he was looking for a way to reverse the affects was pretty cool too. You could feel the desperation to be accepted, to be normal, and to have a life that would include a family. The moral quandaries throughout the novel were well done in my opinion, and the true hallmark of the novel. You could sense the "good" (whatever that means) in Atreus, only to find at times him realizing, as with others, that he might do some really screwed up stuff to get his looks back.

quote:
But the outlying area itself was somewhat intriguing enough and it had little development.

Agreed. I really would have liked to have seen more about the area as well. I as well was looking to expand my knowledge of that area, and was let down by that missing component for sure. That is the weakest part of the novel. It seems the magic formula of ~315 pages per novel can definitely hurt elements of a novel from a lore perspective for sure.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2021 :  17:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what really bothered me is that it played out like a great sourcebook, but not a great novel. There was simply no conclusion to the story, it’s like the author hit his page limit and had to just stop. I remember seeing five pages remaining or so and being like “how I’m the world are they going to conclude this?!!” The truth is they didn’t. Without a sequel even, that was just aggravating. So I’ll tone down my rhetoric about earlier in the book. I guess if it wasn’t good I wouldn’t have been so disappointed.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000