Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Unupdated Regions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  15:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I’m curious what regions of the world we just literally have no idea what’s going on since the Spellplague or earlier? I further wonder if they will ever be explored again, but there’s no way to know such things. Do we have any clue for example how the Shining South is doing?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  15:48:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I’m curious what regions of the world we just literally have no idea what’s going on since the Spellplague or earlier? I further wonder if they will ever be explored again, but there’s no way to know such things. Do we have any clue for example how the Shining South is doing?

Since the Spellplague? Pretty much anything outside of the Heartlands. Since before the Spellplague? We've got entire continents that are nothing more than a blobby shape on a map.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  16:31:38  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Since the Spellplague? Pretty much anything outside of the Heartlands. Since before the Spellplague? We've got entire continents that are nothing more than a blobby shape on a map.

That is because whoever is living on those unknown continents wants to keep it that way. When Karsus' Folly happened, a few of them came over to find out what happened that caused magic to "blink out". They saw that all these people are absolutely nuts and decided to do what they had to to protect themselves.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  18:21:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the 4e Guides have an overview of all of Faerûn, that is way better that what they did with the SCAG. And Kara-Tur had an SCAG-like update in the hengeyokai article for 4e. And of course, many Dragon and Dungeon articles gave us a lot of info during 4e. There is more info post-Spellplague than people here are willing to admit.

Beyond that? What Wooly said. But we have a better coverage of places in Faerûn after the Spellplague than anything beyond the Sword Coast and Chult (and now Icewind Dale) after the Sundering...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 24 Oct 2020 18:22:01
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2020 :  22:45:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

Pre-Spellplague, sadly, Kara-tur had really nothing of note about it beyond the Kara-Tur boxed set, which of course is awesome, but compared to the amount of material produced for other parts of the Realms, nothing much. That isn't the only thing of course, there is the Horde boxed set, many modules, etc., but comparatively, not much.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  00:14:07  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping they do more books like Rime that hit somewhat out of the way areas. I don't even mean the giant unknown landmasses, I mean the places like Halruaa and Durpar and Var the Golden, etc. Thank you Zeromaru for the 4e suggestion, I will look into purchasing one.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  00:27:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Senior Scribe Seethyr,

Pre-Spellplague, sadly, Kara-tur had really nothing of note about it beyond the Kara-Tur boxed set, which of course is awesome, but compared to the amount of material produced for other parts of the Realms, nothing much. That isn't the only thing of course, there is the Horde boxed set, many modules, etc., but comparatively, not much.

Best regards,

-A bunch of 3e era DRAGON magazines had articles involving Kara-Tur. One of the final print issues, 349, went into a lot of post-1372/pre-spellplague Hordelands detail, like 20 pages or so worth.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  15:35:28  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm hoping they do more books like Rime that hit somewhat out of the way areas. I don't even mean the giant unknown landmasses, I mean the places like Halruaa and Durpar and Var the Golden, etc. Thank you Zeromaru for the 4e suggestion, I will look into purchasing one.

Well, the thing with 4e is that you will need the 2 guides (Campaign Guide and Players' Guide), as the info was divided among the two for some reason I don't fully understand (beyond a sales strategy, of course). It would be cheaper to just buy the pdfs in DM's Guild and that is.

I can also provide you with a list of the relevant Realmslore articles in the 4e run of Dragon and Dungeon mag, although there is no info there of the places you mention (abd besides the Five Companies, there is no info on Halruaa in 4e... you know, it was destroyed by the time).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  15:59:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I can also provide you with a list of the relevant Realmslore articles in the 4e run of Dragon and Dungeon mag, although there is no info there of the places you mention (abd besides the Five Companies, there is no info on Halruaa in 4e... you know, it was destroyed by the time).

Yup, destroyed by an explosion that somehow went over a wall of mountains and came back down to shatter the peninsula, and did this without leaving a crater -- or even destroying the buildings! -- at ground zero.

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  16:41:38  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My area of interest is east of the High Forest, and there's nothing official that I've seen beyond the continued deterioration of the cities west and east of the Shining Falls. I'm obsessively curious what must be going on in Elvenport right now..

I'm also interested in some new-age demon nonsense with the region of Nar. And the noncanon Adventurer's League series for Out Of The Abyss has a whole mess of fun stuff happening over in cormanthyr with the twisted tower and some half-demon fire giants iirc?

There's also a module that takes place in the far east in the mountains, or at least that's where this forum was able to pin it down as being set in.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  18:52:23  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Karsus,

quote:
-A bunch of 3e era DRAGON magazines had articles involving Kara-Tur. One of the final print issues, 349, went into a lot of post-1372/pre-spellplague Hordelands detail, like 20 pages or so worth.

I am glad you mentioned that, thank you! While I agree there are certainly materials that were done on Kara-Tur, my primary point was that
quote:
...the amount of material produced for other parts of the Realms...
was so vastly disproportionate in volume as to make what was produced regarding Kara-Tur insignificant. Below is what I believe is close to an exhaustive list of materials on Kara-Tur:

• Gary Gygax, David Cook, and François Marcela-Froideval (1985). Oriental Adventures. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-8803-8099-3.
  • Mike Pondsmith, Jay Batista, Rick Swan, John Nephew, Deborah Christian (1988). Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-608-8.
  • Rick Swan (July 1990). Monstrous Compendium Kara-Tur Appendix. (TSR, Inc.). ISBN 0-88038-851-X.
  • (1989). Kara-Tur Trail Map. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-783-7.
  • David "Zeb" Cook (1986). Swords of the Daimyo. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-273-2.
  • Jon Pickens and others (1986). Night of the Seven Swords. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-327-5.
  • Jeff Grubb (1987). Ochimo: The Spirit Warrior. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-393-3.
  • David "Zeb" Cook (1987). Blood of the Yakuza. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-401-8.
  • Jeff Grubb (1988). Mad Monkey vs the Dragon Claw. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-624-X.
  • Curtis Smith and Rick Swan (1990). Ronin Challenge. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-749-1.
  • Rick Swan (1989). Test of the Samurai. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-88038-775-0.
  • Nigel Findley (1990). Ninja Wars. (TSR, Inc). ISBN 0-8803-8895-1.
  • Troy Denning (August 1990). Black Courser. (TSR, Inc.). ISBN 0880388587.
  • Jay Batista (May/June 1987). “The Kappa of Pachee Bridge”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dungeon #5 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 28–32.
  • Dan Salas (September/October 1987). “Samurai Steel”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dungeon #7 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 37–47.
  • Jay Batista (November/December 1987). “The Flowers of Flame”. In Roger E. Moore ed. Dungeon #8 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 46–63.
  • Rick Swan (January/February 1988). “The Golden Bowl of Ashu H'San”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #9 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 35–43.
  • Matthew Maaske (March/April 1988). “The Artisan's Tomb”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #10 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 9–11.
  • Thomas M. Kane (January/February 1989). “The Dragon's Gift”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #15 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 24–29.
  • Greg Kramer (May/June 1989). “The Waiting Room of Yen-Wang-Yeh”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #17 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 31–41.
  • Marcus L. Rowland (July/August 1989). “Crocodile Tears”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #18 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 32–41.
  • Craig Barrett (January/February 1991). “Bride For A Fox”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #27 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 40–52.
  • Colin Sullivan (January/February 1992). “Mad Gyoji”. In Barbara G. Young ed. Dungeon #33 (TSR, Inc.), pp. 54–75.
  • Teos Abadia (October 2011). “The Five Deadly Shadows”. In Chris Winters ed. Dungeon #195 (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 1–19. Archived from the original on 2013-05-09.
  • Tim Eagon (October 2011). “Ecology of the Hengeyokai”. In Steve Winter ed. Dragon #404 (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 49–58.
  • Fringes of Kara-Tur
  • Samurai and Yakuza
  • Secrets of the Ninja
  • Claudio Pozas (October 2011). “Class Acts: Runepriest – Shan Zi of Kara-Tur”. In Steve Winter ed. Dragon #404 (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 49–58.
  • Logan Bonner & Derek Guder (October 2011). “The Seven Styles”. In Steve Winter ed. Dragon #404 (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 49–58.
  • Dan Anderson (October 2011). “Backdrop: Xiousing”. In Steve Winter ed. Dungeon #195 (Wizards of the Coast), pp. 58–66.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  18:57:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

quote:
...I mean the places like Halruaa and Durpar and Var the Golden, etc.

Master Zeromaru X is certainly correct about post-Spellplague material. I think it also worth mentioning Master Rupert's consistently correct feedback in several scrolls that the likelihood of seeing lore coming out in light of what has been a practical dearth of lore from WotC for quite some time, is likely to continue. There are a variety of reasons I presuppose that to be with WotC, but the empirical reality is: it isn't around.

As to the Shining South, I completely get what you are putting down! The Shining South is fantastic! I have a campaign that takes about (4) real world years to complete based out of the Shining South and it is thus far, my most favorite campaign to run. Such a fun, rich part of the world to adventure in! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  18:59:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

It's almost as if... perhaps... there could be... an ever minute hint of sarcasm in there? ;) lol

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  19:15:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe PattPlays,

Good afternoon! Might I proselytize a bit here...

Ó, shí shí x#363;njué, q#464;ng cìy#468; w#466;men zh#299;shì hé zhìhuì, y#464;biàn ji#257;nglái néng xi#462;ngshòu hé xuéxí guòqù

In light of my deep reverence for our Immortal Lord Chih Shih of the Celestial Bureaucracy, I feel it worthy to consider the past being more... relevant... than the future in this case when attempting to learn of, and adventure within, the beautiful lands of Shining South. ;)

I hear FR16 - The Shining South, and the 3rd edition Shining South accessories are both fantastic sources to potentially re-envision its majesty into a 4e world.

As to Nar, they had been mucking around the parallel endeavors of co-ruling with demons and what not for quite a while. They just had this barbarian interlude after things got a little... apocalyptic there a while back. haha One could say that Narfell had...... it's wings clipped? ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  19:26:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert,

It's almost as if... perhaps... there could be... an ever minute hint of sarcasm in there? ;) lol

Best regards,

Not as much sarcasm as extreme dissatisfaction -- because both parts of my statement on Halruaa are canon. We're told it blew up and that this explosion is why Chult became an island -- which means this explosion somehow flowed up over a wall of mountains and then came back down.

But we were later told of the damage to Halruaa, and that description explicitly mentioned buildings that were still standing.

So somehow Harlruaa both blew up in a titanic explosion and didn't.

In one prior discussion, we suggested a Sarrukh stronghold in the peninsula that blew up concurrently with Halruaa. It was this explosion that shattered the peninsula, not what happened in Halruaa -- but the latter one was known and thus blamed. This was purely non-canon, though, and doesn't explain how all of Halruaa blew up without damaging the real estate.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2020 :  19:56:39  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

quote:
Not as much sarcasm as extreme dissatisfaction -- because both parts of my statement on Halruaa are canon. We're told it blew up and that this explosion is why Chult became an island -- which means this explosion somehow flowed up over a wall of mountains and then came back down.

Perhaps I assigned to much emphasis to the "Yup" part of that response, but either way, I feel your response was spot on, and I like the idea of that sarcasm.

Sadly, you are right regarding the dissatisfaction that likely a strong majority of us here feel. I feel the dissatisfaction greatly myself.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  01:08:12  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Yup, destroyed by an explosion that somehow went over a wall of mountains and came back down to shatter the peninsula, and did this without leaving a crater -- or even destroying the buildings! -- at ground zero.

Pokemon magic, my friend. Pokemon magic

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  02:14:35  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

Ok, I don't really know much about Pokemon at all, but I am curious to know: how does that relate here? ;)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  03:05:57  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Probably because Pokemon can cause massive explosions and fireballs and tsunamis and tornadoes and earthquakes and whatever else, but after the battle ends it's like, eh whatever.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  03:24:41  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Ah, well, fair enough. I accept that, as from the few things I've quickly seen, that appears to comport. haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  04:13:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Probably because Pokemon can cause massive explosions and fireballs and tsunamis and tornadoes and earthquakes and whatever else, but after the battle ends it's like, eh whatever.

I've come to the conclusion that Pokémon are yokai, and that all that stuff is just yokai magic.

This is based solely on me playing and perhaps overthinking Pokémon Go.

On a semi-related note, Pokémon was one of the influences for Jim Butcher's Codex Alera novels. I think that the world of Codex Alera, Carna, would make for an interesting RPG setting.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  04:26:05  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Wow! What kind of influence did Pokemon play on that series? That is pretty interesting!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  04:50:53  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m dying to see Turmish again. The nation nearly collapsed in the Spellplague, and somehow between 4e and 5e their local order of druids become one of the most powerful and widespread organizations in Faerun. Between the Emerald Enclave’s apparent ascendancy and the elevation of the native Turami people to one of the core human ancestries, yet we know nothing about what’s up there now.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  04:53:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert,

Wow! What kind of influence did Pokemon play on that series? That is pretty interesting!

Best regards,

Pokémon were the influence for the furies that the Alerans used in furycrafting. If you've not read the novels, the basic gist is that furycrafting was using the native nature spirits ("furies") to achieve various magical effects. People were able to use furies of a particular element -- most people could only do one, maybe two elements -- for magic-like effects. Watercrafters were excellent healers, for example. People with air furies could use them to fly. And so on.

I read the series because I'd been enjoying his Dresden Files series, and I quite enjoyed it.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  06:13:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe keftiu,

Ah sanat#305;n güçleri beni zamanda geriye götürür

quote:
I’m dying to see Turmish again.

Great news indeed then! The Turmish are back... in 3/3.5e! :) haha

quote:
The nation nearly collapsed in the Spellplague, and somehow between 4e and 5e their local order of druids become one of the most powerful and widespread organizations in Faerun.

Well, it isn't surprising that the Emerald Enclave has become that powerful. They have an enormous amount of verified experience of mass murder over the years, with a toll of between 718k and 2.8 million murdered. I mean... that is dedication and skill right there!

quote:
Between the Emerald Enclave’s apparent ascendancy and the elevation of the native Turami people to one of the core human ancestries, yet we know nothing about what’s up there now.

Sadly, as Master Rupert has pointed out in many scrolls: the likelihood that WotC will produce material that is lore based as we were once accustomed, is highly unlikely. Perhaps someone in the DM's Guild will do so? :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  10:07:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it isn't surprising that the Emerald Enclave has become that powerful. They have an enormous amount of verified experience of mass murder over the years, with a toll of between 718k and 2.8 million murdered. I mean... that is dedication and skill right there!

Oh gods, not this again. We have a single canon reference to a very small number of (possibly justified) deaths, and your wild assumption that a comparison means way, way more than anything that is even implied. I honestly don't even understand how you came to this conclusion, much less why you seem compelled to keep bringing it up.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  10:17:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert!

Good morning good sir! I thank you mightily for the response! :)

quote:
Oh gods, not this again. We have a single canon reference to a very small number of (possibly justified) deaths, and your wild assumption that a comparison means way, way more than anything that is even implied. I honestly don't even understand how you came to this conclusion, much less why you seem compelled to keep bringing it up.

I was only commenting on the fact that the Emerald Enclave is extremely good at killing people and justifying it. That death count too! WHOA! I mean, they take that killin' job seriously: Silvanus does not mess around!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  15:31:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Master Rupert!

Good morning good sir! I thank you mightily for the response! :)

quote:

I was only commenting on the fact that the Emerald Enclave is extremely good at killing people and justifying it. That death count too! WHOA! I mean, they take that killin' job seriously: Silvanus does not mess around!

Best regards,

Except we don't know of any but a small number of deaths, per canon Realmslore, so your comments are unsubstantiated.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  16:05:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, I know we've kinda talked about this in the past, but then .... I talk about a lot...

Personally, when it comes to Var the Golden and the other shining lands that "sank beneath the waves", I think it would be a good idea to just use the same mechanic for a lot of things. Portions of it went to Abeir. I say portions, because there are "sunken ruins" and its called "Var the Drowned". Now its back. Somewhat. Lots of the land is back, with some issues as old cities are partially destroyed from the other portion of the city that they were attached to going to Abeir and leaving the city to sink. Rather than just "status quo" it with some destruction, I would have what happened following the spellplague (and yep, I can hear some people complaining already). I'd put the returning lands filled with Abeirans who ran off the existing humans who came over a century ago. These Abeirans are a direct threat to the existing population of the Shining Lands. These Abeirans might be an outlying population from some greater capital and suddenly find themselves bereft of their leadership. They might also find themselves in basically deep shit with Torilians about to do to them what they did to Torilians a hundred years ago. Mercenaries from Ulgarth and the Utter East might be hired to come in and help kill off these Abeirans.

What are these Abeirans? They could be anything. It might even be interesting if they were servants of a dragon overlord, given that Var "secretly" was ruled by a ancient blue dragon, who has since gone insane and still patrols the sunken cities in 4e. In this way, you could introduce some Abeirans who suddenly find themselves leaderless, who are used to draconic leadership, and thus latch onto this guy.

You could even tie in curna emeralds, which 3e tried to hint as having ties to plangent crystals... which has ties to Pandorym... which has seemingly ties to the Primordial "Entropy". Perhaps while on Abeir a boatload of these crystals were discovered and you have people grafting body parts or something else. Maybe the former dragon THINKS he's leading these people from Abeir, and behind the scenes something else is giving them direction.

Of the current locations of the cities where they exist beneath the water, I'd have those become trapped beneath the returning continents. Perhaps they are now accessible by underdark passageways. For instance, Myrmyr was described as being small pockets of air filled with ghouls. In the case of Zelpir, maybe a connection exists to the ocean and the sahuagin that live in it now have something of a "fortified" location with one way in.

BTW, I'd love to hear what other people would do with the area. I know my ideas aren't gold. I know Seethyr's very willing to share his, and oftentimes collaboration produces something really good. Granted, at the same time, I sometimes feel like "if you say it here, it won't happen" and the idea may happen somewhere else entirely (kind of like the rule that actors should never tell what they think their character should do, because writers will definitely NOT do it).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 26 Oct 2020 16:55:13
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  02:03:37  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I can certainly appreciate that it has been since 20 Feb 2020 @ 1614 that I gave the exact range of deaths that have been caused by the Emerald Enclave supported by evidence for my claim [http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4591&SearchTerms=emerald,enclave], that I should take the relevant snippet and put it down below.

Below is my response from the scroll titled, "controversy" (20 Feb 2020 @ 1614, see URL above), in which I discuss the exact range of death caused by the Emerald Enclave:

quote:
"Silvanus is also the patron of the Emerald Enclave, the band of druids that seeks to keep the entire Vilhon Reach area ecologically sound. That group's violence and ruthlessness are as legendary as the plagues that swept through the Vilhon."(Vilhon Reach, p.17)Legendary violence and ruthlessness is definitely enough. However, let's get more. Since there is more "context" to go.

Let's take a look at that context now. I want to briefly go back to the plague part. I know, you may be thinking: it was probably just a few people that died. Well, the quote above did say "...as legendary as the plagues..." As in, more than one plague.

quote:
In the Year of the Clinging Death (75 DR), a plague tore through the Vilhon Reach, killing more than 50% of the total population in as little as 10 years. (Vilhon Reach, pg.4)

To begin with: I am not saying that the Emerald Enclave started this plague.

However, let's hold on a darn tootin' moment here! I thought it was just said that "That group's violence and ruthlessness are as legendary as the plagues that swept through the Vilhon."? So, if I understand this correctly, their violence was so ruthless and legendary, that it was equal to half the loss of the regions humans in 10 years? Let's take a look at that population shall we? (https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/vilhon.shtml)

In 1372, the Vilhon Reach had a population of approximately 5,705,840 (humans 95%, dwarves 2%, elves 1%, lizard-folk 1%). Let's just for arguments sakes reduce that by 75% to 1,426,420. Now, that is of course silly to do so, but let's see what 50% of that is...oh my, it appears to be 713,230. Being generous I reduced that to an absurdly low number whereas the high value would be 2,852,920. So, the Emerald Enclaves violence is so legendary and ruthless that it is stated to be on par with a death toll of between 713k to 2.8 million? Indeed. That is in fact what the citations say.

So, with that knowledge from canon sources, where have I gotten this wrong? The Emerald Enclave's violence has been identified by Jim Butler as being "as legendary as the plagues that swept through the Vilhon" that killed "more than 50% of the total population in 10 years." Both of those canon quotes are from the Vilhon Reach accessory from pages 4 and 17.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  03:13:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Sigh* It seems that repetition does not work. Perhaps this will be more clear:

I AM NOT HAVING THIS ARGUMENT WITH YOU.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Oct 2020 03:14:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000