Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Imprisonment and a Planetar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2020 :  05:45:34  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Oi, I have a wonderful thought experiment for you all. I have an evil NPC who is involved in a plot that involves a lower rank angel from Mt Celestia who becomes corrupted by infernal machinations related to a certain evil NPC warlock. Said angel turns their wrath onto the surrounding region and its peoples, leading to a touch of divine intervention. A Planetar loyal to the region arrives to take her back to the Upper Planes for penance and recovery. The plot concludes with the Warlock using a Scroll of Imprisonment and the required components to imprison the Planetar, crippling the forces of good in that realm.

My question is on the one minute casting time. If you were on the side of Evil in this plot, how would you arrange your resources to be able to hold a Planetar within 30 feet of your mage while they chant from a scroll? If you could anticipate the actions of the two angelic creatures to the point of getting both a rampaging Deva and a descended Planetar on top of a tower (designed for the purpose of catching said Planetar) where both the Warlock and any called upon infernal or politically acquired allies were present, how would you do it?

Before people simply say "magic circle" I would like to state that the Planetar would have to be baited pretty hard to be stupid enough to land.
How would you occupy such a creature for long enough to cast the spell in Fifth Edition D&D? High level warlock powers, high level devil allies like Rakshazas, the resources of a small city, a raging deva, and the blessing of an Archdevil are all behind you. My best bet is to contractually bind the city's best clerics to spam Hold Monster and pray that they beat that +11 at advantage Wis Save. That Int save though.. Earthbind is also a good pick if someone wanted to cram this thing in a Magic Circle. Note: Planetars cannot dispel magic..

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2020 :  06:31:07  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doublepost for formatting..
Here's what I'm putting together after the initial post. One: Hallow
Hallow is on the Fiend spell-list and can be any circular size up to 60 feet. So, there could be a subsection of the tower's platform that is Hallowed for the Warlock to stand in while casting. Can't get touched or charmed by either of the Celestials that way, a great start. As for secondary effects, Devilsight works GREAT with darkness. Tch- flame strike doesn't care about sightlines.. Resisting radiant damage might be fine I suppose.

Two: Hurl Through Hell (beat the crap out of it)
Alternatively, a Planetar isn't listed as having Plane Shift (of course you can say angels are all high level clerics, but for the sake of this scenario..) so if they were able to crush through it's hit points and find a way to knock it unconscious without destroying the physical form of the angel then that would easily get it to a situation where it can automatically fail all saves against being restrained for the duration. Honestly, just get it low enough to be smacked by a Sleep spell and you've got them handled. Unfortunately max 10d10 only takes away 100 HP of the creature's 16d10+112 listing..

3: Feeblemind (abuse that +4 int save!)
If we can keep the thing from getting it's hands on the Warlock using Hallow then without it's spellcasting you just need to occupy the thing's attention for a minute and keep it in that 30 foot range. Mental Prison is actually INCREDIBLE here and is effectively a second shot at Feebleminding it past that Magic Resistance.

4: Forcecage
I'm a little scared of abusing the lack of Disintegrate here, because my mind goes to "Okay, deal with 10 rounds of Blade Barrier, mr '30 feet from me and not moving'." In a stare-down for the casting duration, everyone loses against this angel. Actually a Rakshasa would be immune.. Not sure what it could do beside claw at it, though. Pretty sure flesh-to-stone doesn't work on an angel but it's another go at restraining it.. Eyebite, again, another smack at it though with a wisdom save.

0: Debuffs.
Smack this thing with Banes, Hexes, and some hellspawn to try and steal a few rounds from it. Heh, just get a Half-Orc with some stun effect in here and lock it down. If only the evil forces had a high level monk dominated and on the scene.. Oh, wait~

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2020 :  16:22:06  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just by simple hubris. A being that powerful could simply believe that no mortal would be able to do anything to affect it. Hit it with a few spells that are pretty much guaranteed to fail and then it may just stand there, amused by these feeble mortals trying to hurt it before it gets on with its mission.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2020 :  23:14:55  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Just by simple hubris. A being that powerful could simply believe that no mortal would be able to do anything to affect it. Hit it with a few spells that are pretty much guaranteed to fail and then it may just stand there, amused by these feeble mortals trying to hurt it before it gets on with its mission.

It's mission is the issuw with this suggestion. Once it sundues the angel it has no reason to stick around, unless there are fiends to obliterate. But that is noted! Thanks for the flavor.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2020 :  23:57:30  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:

It's mission is the issuw with this suggestion. Once it sundues the angel it has no reason to stick around, unless there are fiends to obliterate. But that is noted! Thanks for the flavor.

If there are only humans around after it subdues the angel, it may very well start giving the humans a sermon about how evil is destined to fail and that they should take this time change their ways (using the now "defeated" angel as an example--she actually threw the fight knowing that the planetar wouldn't be able to resist the urge to lecture the humans about the wonders of it's deity). If there was a sacrificial human bound there, it may land to free him/her.

If the warlock has an archdevil as a patron, a devious plan will be appreciated more than a head to head confrontation. It will show the devil that the individual really does deserve the power it has invested in them and that he/she will be much more effective in its plans since it can do more with the amount of resources provided.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2020 :  09:12:16  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:

If there are only humans around after it subdues the angel, it may very well start giving the humans a sermon about how evil is destined to fail and that they should take this time change their ways (using the now "defeated" angel as an example--she actually threw the fight knowing that the planetar wouldn't be able to resist the urge to lecture the humans about the wonders of it's deity). If there was a sacrificial human bound there, it may land to free him/her.

If the warlock has an archdevil as a patron, a devious plan will be appreciated more than a head to head confrontation. It will show the devil that the individual really does deserve the power it has invested in them and that he/she will be much more effective in its plans since it can do more with the amount of resources provided.

Planetar
>uses its action to make an insanely high persuasion roll

Reluctant allies from the city
>contractually (mmmmagic devil stuff) obligated to assist the warlock

I'm sure it would catch on pretty quick. However I imagine it just attempts to summon the energy to blow the various contracted characters off the tower just like "I'm sure one of you has festher fall; nowyou can't fulfil nor break your contracts."

I think it would get caught monologuing but this gets into spell mechanics and lore: Would a creature notice its being targetted by a scroll being read aloud for a minute?

"You all had the chance to rebuild your land and instead you choose to surrenser it and yourselves to damnation. How do-"

>places down statuete of the planetar stolen from a temple

"Mortal, what do you intend to do with that?"

>brings out a collosal ruby worth tens of thousands of gold

"Human I asked you a que-"

>takes your a 9th level spell scroll

"..."

>begins chanting

'Um, don't mind him. What was that you were saying?'

Edit: I wonder if they make enchanted chains that can handle Extraplanar powerhouses of this status.. An Erinyes with a whip might get a few rounds from it..

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 11 Oct 2020 09:15:14
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2020 :  16:57:55  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL. That was great.

As for a chain, Balagos has a chain that can handle a dragon (page 86 Dragon #232). That may work for your planatar.

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2020 :  22:13:05  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL. That was great.

As for a chain, Balagos has a chain that can handle a dragon (page 86 Dragon #232). That may work for your planatar.

I mean they already acquired the ruby, statuete, and scroll. Having more pseudo artifacts would be pushin it. Erinyes tho, maybe. gonna have to check size category restraints.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000