Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 I figure it's about time I make an account here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

comradecrunk
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2020 :  20:12:45  Show Profile Send comradecrunk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all,

I've been a lurker on this site for the better part of twenty years. Off and on at least. You guys have been an invaluable resource for my Forgotten Realms campaigns!

Most recently I led my party of adventurers on a quest to Anchorome to redeem the Quaggoth and free them from drow slavery. They were a lost tribe of people who worshipped the bear spirits there before fleeing into an underdark land tunnel that spanned the Trackless Sea. They were cursed and captured by the drow on their arrival in Faerun. This forum was a big help putting all that together with all the new world stuff you guys work on.

Anyway, I'm 34 and I've been playing D&D (DMing mostly) since I was twelve. I've been here off and on since high school but just never made an account. I noticed someone had started a spelljamming thread and coincidently I've been writing Realmspace stuff all quarantine. I figured it was meant to be so I finally made an account. I've been looking for people to talk about D&D space with and the forums on reddit are all completely empty.

Nobody asked for my life story but there it is. Thanks for all the great stuff over the years and if you have any questions about Forgotten Realms cosmology I've got a near encyclopedic knowledge of it so just ask.

PS: Question for you, do you play 5e or are you just a lore junky? I noticed a lot of this forum still seems to be stuck in The Time of Troubles (not that I blame anyone in the slightest for that).

Edited by - comradecrunk on 02 Oct 2020 20:14:34

rredmond
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2020 :  21:09:54  Show Profile  Visit rredmond's Homepage Send rredmond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome comradecrunk!
Good to see you here, hope you get some good Spelljamming conversations in. :D
Be well,
--Ron--

OS RPG PbP Games: www.unseenservant.us
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2020 :  00:04:21  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by comradecrunk
PS: Question for you, do you play 5e or are you just a lore junky? I noticed a lot of this forum still seems to be stuck in The Time of Troubles (not that I blame anyone in the slightest for that).

Hey man, you might think I'm just an old Grey Box fogey but I'm hip to that new jive you kids are into these days. In fact, I've even been known to take a walk on that 1370s wild side myself! Wizard dwarfs, like, far out man, right on!

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2020 :  04:41:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

quote:

I'm a lore junkie, myself. I'm solidly in the 1370s; for me, the peak Realmslore era was 2E and we started on the downward slope when the 3E FRCS came out.

I have a very grudging acceptance of the 5E era. Acceptance, because it's all we're getting -- but grudging because it's been underwhelming and built on the 4E era, which I dislike.

Rules-wise, I've not played 5E, but I have the books and I have no objection to playing it... My DM had spent a long time away from the game, so he's running a 2E game, because that's what he knows. My other gaming group was playing Pathfinder, but we've not gathered in a long time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2020 :  17:42:49  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep. I do not play 5E, so I guess that makes me biased toward the lore junkie option. From firsthand experience, the scribes here are exceptionally intelligent. That includes not only the Realms, but also real world topics as diverse as monetary policy, nautical travel, world history, cross-cultural anthropology and military training. Our collective Realms backgrounds span from all the way back to AD&D (Some of the grognards here probably personally guzzled Lienenkugel with Dave Arneson and E. Gary Gygax for all I know.) to 5E.
Go to Top of Page

comradecrunk
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2020 :  07:59:35  Show Profile Send comradecrunk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

Hey man, you might think I'm just an old Grey Box fogey but I'm hip to that new jive you kids are into these days. In fact, I've even been known to take a walk on that 1370s wild side myself! Wizard dwarfs, like, far out man, right on!

I like wizard dwarves! Stoic and noble transmuters? What's not to love?
Go to Top of Page

comradecrunk
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2020 :  08:08:10  Show Profile Send comradecrunk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Welcome to Candlekeep. I do not play 5E, so I guess that makes me biased toward the lore junkie option. From firsthand experience, the scribes here are exceptionally intelligent. That includes not only the Realms, but also real world topics as diverse as monetary policy, nautical travel, world history, cross-cultural anthropology and military training. Our collective Realms backgrounds span from all the way back to AD&D (Some of the grognards here probably personally guzzled Lienenkugel with Dave Arneson and E. Gary Gygax for all I know.) to 5E.

I know! That's why I love this place. I meant my question a little tongue in cheek, personally I dont think FR has any good development since The Time of Troubles. My campaigns are all stuck in the 3e FRCS and I just ignore everything official, unless I can cannibalize something for my own homebrew.

I'd love to track down these nautical experts you speak of though
Go to Top of Page

comradecrunk
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2020 :  10:21:45  Show Profile Send comradecrunk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

quote:

I'm a lore junkie, myself. I'm solidly in the 1370s; for me, the peak Realmslore era was 2E and we started on the downward slope when the 3E FRCS came out.

I have a very grudging acceptance of the 5E era. Acceptance, because it's all we're getting -- but grudging because it's been underwhelming and built on the 4E era, which I dislike.

Rules-wise, I've not played 5E, but I have the books and I have no objection to playing it... My DM had spent a long time away from the game, so he's running a 2E game, because that's what he knows. My other gaming group was playing Pathfinder, but we've not gathered in a long time.

I'm with ya honestly. I think the 3e campaign book is the best FR product ever published, but it drops off significantly after that.

The 5e era is just kind of silly because it's an attempt to acknowledge and also ignore the spellplague (which is awful, why destroy the Sea of Fallen Stars of all things??).

At least it's an attempt at fixing it, there were a few cool stories from 4e that I think should be kept.

But mostly 5e is just like, "oh the npc here is the son/daughter/apprentice/squire of so and so from the 1300s and coincidentally just like them" and you just roll with it and move on. In a 4th wall sense its dumb, but its Forgotten Realms where apocalypses happen like every 50 years, so it's easy to just roll with it and move on.

Mechanically I think 5e is fine. It's easy to learn and loose enough that you can do basically anything. My only complaint is that once you master the system it becomes really easy. Most people care more about RP these days though so that doesn't matter I guess.

I haven't had a chance to see Ed Greenwoods books though, I bet they are better. 5e writers refuse to leave the Sword Coast

Edited by - comradecrunk on 09 Oct 2020 10:23:24
Go to Top of Page

comradecrunk
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2020 :  10:25:25  Show Profile Send comradecrunk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Welcome to Candlekeep!

quote:

I'm with ya honestly. I think the 3e campaign book is the best FR product ever published, but it drops off significantly after that.

The 5e era is just kind of silly because it's an attempt to acknowledge and also ignore the spellplague (which is awful, why destroy the Sea of Fallen Stars of all things??).

But mostly 5e is just like, "oh the npc here is the son/daughter/apprentice/squire of so and so from the 1300s and coincidentally just like them" and you just roll with it and move on. In a 4th wall sense its dumb, but its Forgotten Realms where apocalypses happen like every 50 years, so it's easy to just roll with it and move on.

Mechanically I think 5e is fine. It's easy to learn and loose enough that you can do basically anything. My only complaint is that once you master the system it becomes really easy. Most people care more about RP these days though so that doesn't matter I guess.

I haven't had a chance to see Ed Greenwoods books though, I bet they are better. 5e writers refuse to leave the Sword Coast

Go to Top of Page

Compaste
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2020 :  05:16:43  Show Profile Send Compaste a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do play SE too most of the time, I think I over heat it, not sure what to do next
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2020 :  04:21:32  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte comradecrunk,

quote:
I've been a lurker on this site for the better part of twenty years. Off and on at least. You guys have been an invaluable resource for my Forgotten Realms campaigns!

Welcome to the 'Keep good sir! Great to have you in the forums.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000