Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Needing help for Mages from Netheril Time
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Omenborn
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  08:28:43  Show Profile Send Omenborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow Scribes and Sages,

i have reawakend my old Rolemaster Campaing on the Forgotten Realms with New Players and the Paladin of the Party (which i have the pleasure to lead as an GM) now requestet a Quest to get his Hands on an Holy Avenger.

I have thought about finding and destroying the Sceptre of the Sourceror Kings. To do so the Party must kill each and every surving Wizard who helped creating it. This will and should be a Campaign for Several Years before the Players would be finaly strong enough to go finaly "Head to Head" with the last and Strongest Member of this Group of Wizards.

I have thought about 7 or 8 Individuals from which 1 is willing to Help the Party somewhat as an "Grey Eminence" in the Background.

So i have up to Date set up 3 of this Mages. That would be Larloch as the "Chief Villain" who was the Head of the Conclave of Wizards who made the Sceptre, then i have Daurgothoth (he has undergone an Ritual to become a Dragon and after "using up" most of his "Lifetime" he has become a Dracolich)and Ar Palanter the "Seer" of this Group of Wizards who sits in a Ruined City in Anauroch with lots of Gargoyles who is willing to help the Party with knowledge about his former Allies.

Since i play in 1359 DR shortly after the Time of Troubles "Netheril" hasnt Returned.

I have thought about the following two as Possible Members.

Zhengyi ans Szass Tam since both are very Powerful Mages and i only need to adjust their Background a "little" bit

I welcome every Help and thoughts about the possible Members of this Ancient Group of Wizards.

Some Adventure for Gold,
others for Fame,
ME i just like to KILL THING

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  11:37:36  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure to impress upon the party to treat any of these "Gray Eminence" individuals with the utmost respect, especially Larloch. Otherwise, the quest will be extraordinarily short in the form of a TPK. They will definitely want something in return for their services. Gods help those who try to break any deal made with these individuals.

Since this campaign is set in 1359, keep in mind the party may run afoul of Khelben Arunsun. He wants the Sceptre as part of an impending deal with Fzoul Chembryl. If you somehow prevent the Sceptre from falling into Khelben's hands, your campaign will face some major shifts. Zhentarim politics will definitely be turned upside down. Khelben won't be put on trial and expelled from the Harpers, and there will probably be no Moonstars.

Your party better have the means of destruction handy once they some get the Sceptre (if the get the Sceptre). Possession of this artifact will attract the hostile attention of countless numbers of power groups in Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Omenborn
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  12:04:25  Show Profile Send Omenborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a little Misunderstanding. The only Gray Eminence would be Ar Palantar with helping the Party with knowledge and perhaps as an Mentor for the Wizard of the Party.

Larloch would be the one who has lead the Group of Wizards in the Past and is one of the "Enemys" of the Group.

ATM they havent the Slightest Clue about what will come since the Player of the Paladin has asked the Party if they would support him in his Quest for an "Holy Sword" of his Order at the end of our last meeting that was yesterday evening.

Some Adventure for Gold,
others for Fame,
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  12:38:46  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Omenborn

We have a little Misunderstanding. The only Gray Eminence would be Ar Palantar with helping the Party with knowledge and perhaps as an Mentor for the Wizard of the Party.

Larloch would be the one who has lead the Group of Wizards in the Past and is one of the "Enemys" of the Group.

ATM they havent the Slightest Clue about what will come since the Player of the Paladin has asked the Party if they would support him in his Quest for an "Holy Sword" of his Order at the end of our last meeting that was yesterday evening.

The misunderstanding was my fault. Even if Larloch were the only enemy, your party is rocketing toward a TPK. Feel free to replace "Kill" with "Annihilation". I would seriously consider an alternative to countering the Sceptre's magic. Those are my two copper pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Omenborn
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  05:31:20  Show Profile Send Omenborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Larloch and Daurgothoth are very very potent enemys.

They where the first ones that come to my mind when thinking about very Powerful opponents for a several year long quest.

Replacing them would be no problem.

Some Adventure for Gold,
others for Fame,
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  12:51:26  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would Larloch care about your party destroying the Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings? He certainly didn't give a toss about it during its canon destruction.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  13:10:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would Larloch interact directly with PCs at all?

He's basically a demilich, halfway concerned about mastering the world, halfway beyond and towards ascended paradigms of existence. In terms of incomprehensible power and in terms of impossible aloofness he might as well be a god.
He's installed an army of liches to handle pesky heroes and other routine, worldly interruptions.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Omenborn
Acolyte

Germany
16 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  09:29:08  Show Profile Send Omenborn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why he cares ?

For my Campaign he was one of the Mages who created the Sceptre and it can only be destoryed when the last of its Creators is no more.

Larloch was only an Idea for one of the Wizards who created it. Basicly im looking for some very old (very) Powerful Inividuals who i can Include in the Group of Wizards that Created the Sceptre.

Since my Players dont know very much of the Forgotten Realms i will not run into any trouble if i present them with some Names.... . I could make up some fancy Wizards but this only half the fun if one have a World full of Powerful and Ancients beings with lore for them.

The Campaign will certainly run for several Real live Years and i have also said to my players they dont have a Time Limit and can "plug the roses that are by the Wayside" means they can always do some adventures and postpone the search for the Sceptre or its Creators.

Some Adventure for Gold,
others for Fame,
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2020 :  15:40:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think if Larloch had to be destroyed to remove the Sceptre of the Sorceror Kings, then he wouldn't have left it laying in a Harper vault for however long it was there. He'd've dispatched as many of his liches as he needed to get it and secure it.

And with him being a Netherese arcanist with 60+ liches at his command, your party is not going to ever even get close to him unless you nerf him. Larloch is more a force of nature than an opponent, and he's dealt with a lot of threats over the last 2000 years. He'll be taking steps to counter the PCs before they even know he exists.

You're better off picking some lesser target for your PCs. I'd throw Daurgothoth into the mix long before using Larloch.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Sep 2020 15:43:13
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2020 :  07:31:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Omenborn,

sic possidere animo forti savras ut Extenditque sapientia tua

quote:
I have thought about finding and destroying the Sceptre of the Sourceror Kings.

Well, you'll have to get in line unfortunately. In 1357DR, a 27th level mass murderer (we can call him a wizard if you like) decided to multi-class to epic level thief and forger and stole the scepter leaving behind an illusory version of it in the Harper's vault. With that guys track record of murderin', stealin', war crimes, and much, much more, it's something to keep in mind.

quote:
To do so the Party must kill each and every surving Wizard who helped creating it. This will and should be a Campaign for Several Years before the Players would be finaly strong enough to go finaly "Head to Head" with the last and Strongest Member of this Group of Wizards.

If it is several years of playing, and somehow you manage to wrest control of that scepter from The Blackstaff, the ToT is just around the corner in a couple of years from the time that our main thief steals the scepter. Also, there is a prophecy from Bane in 753DR that talks about The Blackstaff's best friend forever, Fzoul:
quote:
“Your praise is just t the beginning, but your Black Lord is pleased. You, Brest, have been chosen to serve me in Faerûn forever—in life and beyond. Others will build upon the foundations you have laid today in Flostren’s Hold, and one day, a man with hair of flame shall take up my scepter and smite the lands around the Moonsea. When he has wrested control from those who live along the road of gold and around the steaming sea, my tyranny will spread quickly across Faerûn. “Know also that the coming of Zhentar was my will, as is the strife he creates in my name. You too will be feared because you are my hand, but the mewling mortals who cower from you are worth little more than your contempt. Strike hard at those who stand against my goals. Teach those who do not yet fear my name the meaning of my righteous wrath and my tyranny. I compel it. Soon Zhentar’s strife will lead to his fall, but his name will rise again, and you will bring doom to those who have stood in the way of my will. “And finally, Brest, know that although you have warranted my attention, still are you insignificant. Never forget the power of my righteousness. Go forth, spread the Dark Fear, and be blessed. To defy me is to die.”

quote:
So i have up to Date set up 3 of this Mages. That would be Larloch as the "Chief Villain" who was the Head of the Conclave of Wizards who made the Sceptre, then i have Daurgothoth (he has undergone an Ritual to become a Dragon and after "using up" most of his "Lifetime" he has become a Dracolich) and Ar Palanter the "Seer" of this Group of Wizards who sits in a Ruined City in Anauroch with lots of Gargoyles who is willing to help the Party with knowledge about his former Allies.

Larloch likely wouldn't care anything about this. He's too high up the totem pole. Plus, as the supposed last arcanist-king of Netheril, and as insanely powerful as he is, there are some large issues to overcome with him:

• Aumvor's fragmented phylactery [he has all spells, and this means he has multiple phylactery's]
  • Larloch's divination capacity is so ridiculously powerful it is quoted in Lost Empires of Faerun:
    quote:
    At the time Karsus cast his fateful spell, the enclave of Jiksidur was high above eastern Faerûn spying on the empires of Narfell and Raumathar. Larloch, Sorcerer-King of Jiksidur, was warned by contingency magic that the enclave’s doom was imminent, so he abandoned it on dragonback just before its fall.
    , such that Larloch is practically guaranteed to know of his doom through divination magics vis-a-vis a contingency
  • Larloch has multiple servitors, such as Rhaugilath, a 29th level Netherese, lich, arcanist
  • Larloch's personal attendance of liches was known to be approximately (60) of them by 1374DR
  • His allies, such as Zulkir Szass Tam, are in his debt, incredibly powerful, and would only add to the savage response if anything became a consideration of a challenge to Larloch

To be clear here, I am not trying to bash your idea, just bring some consideration to the monumental task it would be to even walk in the door without getting your face turned into a Raider's the Lost Ark extravaganza, by our boy from the second original block, Larloch.

quote:
Since i play in 1359 DR shortly after the Time of Troubles "Netheril" hasnt Returned.

The gods have though, and all of the insanity that came, went, and had left-overs a plenty.

quote:
I have thought about the following two as Possible Members. Zhengyi ans Szass Tam since both are very Powerful Mages and i only need to adjust their Background a "little" bit

Zulkir Szass Tam is a good ally for sure. Zhengyi dies in 1359DR.

I just want to reiterate, I don't mean of my information above to be negative, bashing, etc. I only mean it information-wise, and to address the challenges of dealing with such beings.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000