Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Heralds, Falconfree and Red Dragon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2020 :  23:30:29  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello,
I'm hoping someone will know who the Heralds are that currently hold the titles of Falconfree and Red Dragon? Time 1491...
Thanks

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2020 :  02:46:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one knows that. That lore has yet to be revealed by WotC.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2020 :  18:00:08  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was afraid of that. Bummer. Well, thanks anyway, George.

I was able to find this, but I'm not sure if it's correct...

"Rusella Varandal
Falconfree (Rank 48) • 68 years
Rusella has held the title of Falconfree for over forty years now, and there is arguably no person in Waterdeep with deeper connections to its established power structures or deeper knowledge of its history, from a practical standpoint. Rusella has trained a score or more Heralds in her time, several of whom have gone on to hold Titled Herald positions themselves. Ten years ago, she was offered a role as a Herald Pursuivant, but demurred, saying that if they'd offered it to her before her fifties, she might have done so happily."

"Rusella Varandal: 1450 DR - Present."

and

the Red Dragon
Bellym Glarsh (circa 1368 DR)

and

Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2017 : 12:59:56
"It is there, though the info isn't all that copious... It's the office of the Herald Red Dragon, and page 79 of the book has these bits of info:

The current holder of this office is Bellym Glarsh (NG hm F9), who dwells in Dragonrise Keep, a fortified compound south of Easting, near the headwaters of the stream that becomes the southern feeder of the River Chionthar."

Anyway. I'll keep digging and see if I can find a suitable solution.
Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  07:35:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rusella Varandal is fanlore. Good fanlore I might add. Use it if you like.

Bellym Glarsh is the herald Red Dragon in the 1350-1360s DR, not in the timeframe you are looking at. That reference is from the product "Code of the Harpers" (p.79) by Ed Greenwood.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 27 Sep 2020 07:35:47
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  07:43:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rusella Varandal is fanlore. Good fanlore I might add. use it if you like.

Bellym Glarsh is the herald Red Dragon in the 1350-1360s DR, not in the timeframe you are looking at. That reference is from the product "Code of the Harpers" (p.79) by Ed Greenwood.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  16:42:08  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so that's fan lore... I wasn't sure.

George (or anyone),
Asking for opinion/advice here, if you are creating an adventure with the hope of seeing it published on a drivethrurpg type outlet, and you wanted to use something like the Red Dragon that is canonical but out of date... how would you handle it? Would you just invent your own lore, or...???

Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  17:09:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildeman

Ok, so that's fan lore... I wasn't sure.

George (or anyone),
Asking for opinion/advice here, if you are creating an adventure with the hope of seeing it published on a drivethrurpg type outlet, and you wanted to use something like the Red Dragon that is canonical but out of date... how would you handle it? Would you just invent your own lore, or...???

Thanks for the help.

I'd create my own lore. I doubt the Heralds are ever going to be revisited in published canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  17:22:23  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wooly.

My next question is more technical-ish... If Glarsh was the Red Dragon in 1368 DR, in 1491 DR, how many apprentices would have succeeded him to reach the present timeline... assuming they are human?

I'm thinking at least two and maybe three.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2020 :  23:25:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Wooly.

My next question is more technical-ish... If Glarsh was the Red Dragon in 1368 DR, in 1491 DR, how many apprentices would have succeeded him to reach the present timeline... assuming they are human?

I'm thinking at least two and maybe three.

123 years? No fewer than 4, I'd say. Maybe as many as 7, though I think I'd go for 5 or 6. Five would give an average of 24 years in office. I'd have a couple that were in office 10 years or less, one that was in office for like 40 years, another that made it almost 30 years, and either one more to fill out the remaining years, or split them amongst the others.

Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  00:02:19  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5 sounds good. I'm not sure how important this is actually going to turn out to be. I may be just obsessing over lore details because they don't exist and that drives me a little nuts for some reason.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  02:11:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be fun to have one of those Heralds -- perhaps even the most recent one -- die or disappear under mysterious circumstances. Maybe the current one's predecessor appeared to die of natural caused, but the current Herald stumbled across some bit of info that makes him think the prior one was actually murdered -- and of course he's going to want to get to the bottom of this. The Heralds as an organization will be very interested in this, and it's likely that the Harpers would get involved as well. And if the Harpers get involved, it's only a matter of time before one (or more!) of their enemies finds out and decides to get involved...

So you'd have Heralds, Harpers, at least one Harper enemy, and whoever did the deed all involved in this mess.

Even more fun if the evil-doer was part of a larger organization, and different factions within that organization support or oppose this action, once it comes to light...

Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  02:56:01  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly,
I like those ideas. One problem for me with killing a High Herald, like the Red Dragon, is that it ends the office.

"High Heralds might resign, become mentally unable to continue their duties and be "relieved with dignity," or die in office. If one is killed in office, by tradition his office "dies" with him; as such, there are now four "vanished" High Herald offices (the Huntsman, Manyshields, Blue Blade, and Star scepter). Over most of the years since the Harpers started the Heralds in 992 DR, there have been seven High Heralds at any given time."

"In the late 1360s DR, the office of Thorn Tree was occupied by a half-elf male. On the Feast of the Moon of the Year of the Tankard, 1370 DR, this Thorn Tree disappeared hours before he was to perform the Bloodsong. This triggered a storm of controversy. First, there were rumors that the High Heralds had plans to expel Thorn Tree for corruption. Second, the rebel government of Riatavin had hoped to use the Bloodsong to assert their authority over the city amidst their secession from Amn to Tethyr. Third, some claimed that Thorn Tree had been working for, variously, Amn, Tethyr, the Knights of the Shield, or another faction of Riatavin. Thus, Thorn Tree's disappearance was expected to be powerful political ammunition for all these factions, further disrupting the secession. In fact, Thorn Tree had actually been murdered by one of the Eldreth Veluuthra, and his body hidden so well it might never be found."

I'm working on an idea that follows along these lines except using the Red Dragon... disappearance/abduction... to prevent a wedding that will bring peace... blah blah blah. You get the idea. The Feast of the Moon and the Red Dragon's duties with assisting in arranged marriages. The corruption of the Bloodsong ritual are also involved.

Anyway. Thanks for the suggestions. Greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  03:32:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, forgot about that; I've not read my Heralds lore in a while...

Mayhaps the prior Red Dragon was incapacitated by some mysterious malady, then? It takes him out of the picture and gives reason for everyone to be looking into it, without getting rid of the office.

Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  04:26:02  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if you might know this... Do you know what happened to the heart of kazgaroth? Thus far, my research has it in the possession of Hobarth... Black Wizards. (I haven't read the third book yet and google isn't getting anywear.)

I'm thinking the Heart is being used as the dark energy that powers a corrupted Bloodsong ritual during the Festival of the Moon to raise an undead army?

Part of the Red Dragon's role was to be that of the diplomat in the arranged marriage and being forced to perform the ritual, twisted and corrupted by the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  04:40:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if you might know this... Do you know what happened to the heart of kazgaroth? Thus far, my research has it in the possession of Hobarth... Black Wizards. (I haven't read the third book yet and google isn't getting anywear.)

I'm thinking the Heart is being used as the dark energy that powers a corrupted Bloodsong ritual during the Festival of the Moon to raise an undead army?

Part of the Red Dragon's role was to be that of the diplomat in the arranged marriage and being forced to perform the ritual, twisted and corrupted by the heart.

Aside from a quick reading of the Moonshae guide on the DM's Guild, I've not touched anything Moonshae-related in a long time. The first trilogy was very much not to my taste, and I've subsequently had little regard for the area because of it.

Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2020 :  05:00:32  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I can't say that I'm a big fan of the books, but a lot of the other things that have been created for the Moonshaes I have found appealing. There seems to be some really cool fan fiction that's been produced as well as a number of adventures that I think aren't bad. The "all things Moonshae" thread here at Candlekeep Forum is full of great ideas.

Hopefully, if I can realize my ideas into actual adventures, they will be fun to run and play.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  06:41:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

quote:
It might be fun to have one of those Heralds -- perhaps even the most recent one -- die or disappear under mysterious circumstances. Even more fun if the evil-doer was part of a larger organization, and different factions within that organization support or oppose this action, once it comes to light...

This is a fantastic idea! I was actually just rereading a reply Master Krashos had for me regarding the Dark Herald (timing, who was it, etc., you were in on that one too I think). Your idea of a Herald who "dies or disappears under mysterious circumstances" would work. All we know from Code of the Harpers is that the Dark Herald was "killed." Well, that doesn't necessarily mean a lot, haha.

Anyhow, I thought your idea was solid, and wanted to throw it out there.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  09:21:01  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cpthero2,

Having the Herald "disappear" is a solid idea. Killing the Herald in office is ok, as long as you don't mind effectively ending that office according to their code. That being said, I'm guessing exceptions can always be made... but I wonder if the ending of an office was always intended to be a preventative measure to try and keep the Heralds from being targeted... either by other Heralds who wished to advance and weren't very picky about how they got there, or by those who might be looking for an opportunity to gain control over the organization for some reason.

Anyway. I ended up going with having the Red Dragon Herald being abducted... to prevent him from conducting a ritual during a peaceful festival holiday and also to use him to perform a corrupted form of the same ritual. His abduction is one of the main initial happenings that get the adventure going. Then the story arc widens out to other, still related, happening to create more of a semi sandbox adventure path.

I've actually been corresponding with Gary privately about my ideas. He has been great about answering questions based on his personal lore knowledge... which is considerable... and just being a great sounding board and occasionally playing the devil's advocate.

But I agree with you. It is a solid suggestion. I hope I didn't come off as dismissive... just had to address the code issue. As Gary likes to tell me, it's about the "why". As long as you can answer the "why" question then just about anything is possible.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  22:46:26  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Wildeman,

quote:
Having the Herald "disappear" is a solid idea.

The great thing about this is that the Dark Herald,
quote:
died in infamy (by assassination) a year into his rule after usurping authority from a fallen royal family.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Heralds_of_Faer%C3%BBn

So, it could easily be excused away with certain spells that make it appear that person was "dead."

quote:
I've actually been corresponding with Gary privately about my ideas. He has been great about answering questions based on his personal lore knowledge... which is considerable... and just being a great sounding board and occasionally playing the devil's advocate.

Nice! Great Reader Dallison is a superb sage for sure. He definitely knows his stuff!

quote:
I hope I didn't come off as dismissive... just had to address the code issue. As Gary likes to tell me, it's about the "why". As long as you can answer the "why" question then just about anything is possible.

Oh, no sweat at all good sir! No offense taken at all, though I appreciate your congenial nature.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  23:05:50  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So, it could easily be excused away with certain spells that make it appear that person was "dead."

Hey, I like this... ok, apologies, but I'm going to have to steal this idea. Abduction of the Red Dragon Herald disguised to look like an assassination... using a spell... what's it called??? False Life, maybe... to fake the death.

End result is the same, but sooo much more interesting when the PCs discover he's still alive. Ewww... I like this a lot.

Thank you good sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  05:26:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker wildeman,

haha, no apologies necessary at all. I very much enjoy the discourse, and the sharing of ideas about this wonderful Realms with likeminded and congenial Ffolk. ;)

Yeah, surprise "Court"? room drama like that, is always good...... *queue the drum roll*

Best regards,

Edit: added a determiner *much

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring

Edited by - cpthero2 on 28 Oct 2020 16:12:14
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  14:24:30  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cpthero2,
So, I've run into a bit of a snagg... as I said, I'm really liking this bit of a twist on the abduction of the RDH (Red Dragon Herald). I think it's an elegant way of using this as a motivation device while tucking him away for a while and then having a little "scooby-doo" reveal.

So, here's where your creative insights might help me with a bit of heavy lifting. The RDH, 1- Should he be abducted with his death being faked to cover the abduction? (The RDH remains a good guy who is abducted for someone else's reasons.) or 2- The RDH is actually a villain and he fakes his death and abduction which gets revealed later along the adventure path... presumably. (He is a Bhaalspawn or secret Bhaal worshiper...)

My issues are things like, if the RDH is a good guy, how would you fake his death? Magically? A spell like False Death or Feign Death or something homebrewed? How do you get around the good guys just having him resurrected? As long as they have the body it foils the plan, but if the abductors take the body it makes it hard to pull off the faked death. Sort of a catch 22.

If the RDH is actually a bad guy, this might be a little easier... a faked attempt is made to abduct him, during which he appears to be killed. Then, before any attempt to raise him can be made his body is snatched?

Also, it might be simpler to use a spell that is very flashy and obvious, lightning bolt, that would create a strong impression that he was killed in the minds of the PCs.

And, the all important "why"... if the RDH is a bad guy, what is his motivation? A connection to Bhaal? Serving some end with that?

Btw, I was planning on having his abduction take place at sea on the journey to the Moonshae Isles... perhaps near the end of the voyage.

So, what do you think? Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  15:25:17  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so, after another cup of coffee and some brainstorming with my wife, I think the faked death is actually unnecessary and a bit of a clumsy attempt on my part to be clever. I realized that I need the RDH's abduction as a motivation/hook for the PCs. I am still interested in the RDH as a villain with a reveal later... using him as a disguised bad guy up to the reveal. My first inclination is having him connected with the Black Blood tribe of lycanthropes that are seeking to bring back Kazgaroth to lead them. (I read that somewhere in the lore, iirc.) I was sending him to the Moonshaes to help broker a peace between the Ffolk and the Northlanders via a marriage, officiate at the Moon Festival, and perform the Blood Song Ritual at the festival. His "abduction" foils these events and he is suppose to perform a corrupted form of the Blood Song Ritual to bring Kazgaroth back.

So, I think I have it mostly figured out, but I would still like to hear any ideas you might have.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  18:55:25  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker wildeman,

quote:
So, here's where your creative insights might help me with a bit of heavy lifting. The RDH, 1- Should he be abducted with his death being faked to cover the abduction? (The RDH remains a good guy who is abducted for someone else's reasons.) or 2- The RDH is actually a villain and he fakes his death and abduction which gets revealed later along the adventure path... presumably. (He is a Bhaalspawn or secret Bhaal worshiper...)

Well, I'll certainly do my best by you, and thus, I hope I do not disappoint!

Here is what I would recommend...

Make it an abduction. The reason I say that is because Herald's are awfully powerful by their influence. The specific function in this case of the RDH, is,

quote:
Red Dragon was primarily a diplomat and matchmaker, helping to arrange marriages between the hundreds of noble houses. This office also traditionally escorted supplicants, heirs, and honorees to ceremonies pertaining to the transfer or attainment of titles, positions, or awards of honor.

Just imagine the manchurian candidate possibilities for the "hundreds of noble houses" as well as the affect on rulership, ownership of land, or even control of entire militaries. The possibilities are endless, and horrifying.

Additionally, by a villain taking possession of the RDH, he could be Mindraped (https://dndtools.net/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/mindrape--165/), and planted back after the initial work has been done with the fake RDH and the real RDH has been completely subjugated by the Mindrape spell.

As to the replacement, have it be a Stasis Clone, that has as well been affected by Mindrape, to whatever degree you want. The great thing about having the original, Mindraped RDH, is you can actually use him to be present for an alibi for example, while the real one, having the trust of a noble, is killing them (because the real RDH would never do that). Having nobles getting murdered in such a duplicitous manner could cause massive damage before it was ever discovered.

quote:
Also, it might be simpler to use a spell that is very flashy and obvious, lightning bolt, that would create a strong impression that he was killed in the minds of the PCs.

I would consider using a Master Spy NPC for some Court intrigue, that is posing as someone else, and uses some sort of illusory magic (heck, make the Master Spy, a higher level priest of Leira for cool action) to make the death appear real, while a telport is being used, or something similar.

quote:
And, the all important "why"... if the RDH is a bad guy, what is his motivation? A connection to Bhaal? Serving some end with that?

Honestly, this is a perfect Bane powerplay here. Controlling one of the most, if not thee most, respected forms of legitimate analysis in the Realms to such ends is something that Bane is all about. Some cool counter inclusions of deities and their followers could be a high priest of Siamorphe becoming concerned about all of the nobility/royalty being killed for example.

quote:
Btw, I was planning on having his abduction take place at sea on the journey to the Moonshae Isles... perhaps near the end of the voyage.

Great idea on the journey and the abduction.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm loving the discourse. :)

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  22:22:05  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the feedback... between you and Gary and some others this is proving to be a very fun effort.

Well, you've given me a lot to chew on for a bit. The teleport idea jumped out at me immediately. A spell with a lot of bang and flash coupled with a teleport could make it appear as if the RDH had been disintegrated. Can a teleport be performed from a ship? Maybe a one way teleport but not a teleport circle?

I was trying to tie him into the Black Bloods/Kazgaroth/Bhaal... and still might want to hang onto that, but the Bane angle has a lot of appeal because of the lore in Halls of the High King. Also, the arranged marriage idea I had gets better when adding the escort part and the Banite power play of the various nobles. It might even be a two fold forking element where he is a Banite and attempting to gain control with certain noble houses via his position as a High Herald... and the Black Bloods want to abduct him to perform the corrupted Blood Song Ritual to bring back Kazgaroth. The latter here happening first ? and not being something of his doing, he's just been pulled into the lycanthrope's machinations.

Btw, the big twist at the end of this is suppose to be that the High King himself is the BBEG... dun dun DUN!!! My idea being that he wants a new sword to be forged to replace the sword destroyed in the battle with Bhaal... Cymrych Hugh's sword that was part of the Moonshae Royal Regalia. Nothing forged by the best weaponsmiths has been able to please him.

Along with the RDH traveling to the Moonshaes there are 3 clerics of Chauntea coming to perform a sanctifying and cleansing ritual at the Moonwell were Kazgaroth and Bhaal were defeated. The new gods continuing to encroach here and replace the Earthmother. One of them, however, is actually not a cleric of Chauntea, but is actually a priest of Bhaal, or now maybe Bane. The intent is to disrupt the cleansing of the moonwell.

One of the clerics of Chauntea suggest getting the assistance of a powerful mage to help extract any magical vestige of the sword that is within the moonwell and use that to reforge a new sword for the High King. (I would like to use Flamsterd for this.) The fly in the soup is that along with the swords vestige there is also the vestige of Kazgaroth's essence and the two are now comingled. So when the sword is forged it has what amounts to a split personality. This influence takes a toll on the High King eroding his sanity and judgement. He wants to do what he feels is best for the Ffolk, but is willing to do terrible things to achieve his ends. Things like arranging for the RDH to be abducted to try and sabotage the peace alliance with the Northlanders. Assist the Black Bloods so they become a threat to others making an extermination campaign seem like a necessity. The end goal here... as he sees it... is to make the Moonshaes, all of the Moonshaes, a safe home for his people.

(wow, sorry for the wall of text there.)

There's a bunch more, but that's a lot to talk about so I'll stop there for now.

Hopefully these are good ideas. I worry that I could be getting too cute and complicated. A gaming friend of mine tells me all the time that some things make for good stories and some things make for good games. Know the difference. This might also be a touch of insecurity rearing it's ugly head so I start doubting the ideas. I'll see what you think and keep chewing on this bone. I feel like we're getting closer to the mark.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  23:31:09  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker wildeman,

quote:
Thank you for the feedback... between you and Gary and some others this is proving to be a very fun effort.

My pleasure. I'm glad it is enjoyable for you as well.

quote:
Well, you've given me a lot to chew on for a bit. The teleport idea jumped out at me immediately. A spell with a lot of bang and flash coupled with a teleport could make it appear as if the RDH had been disintegrated.

There is actually a warlock invocation called, Flee the Scene that leaves behind a minor image. That would likely even be better. Illusion spells could be cast to make you look as if you disappear, Flee the Scene happens, leaving that image behind, and then the Stasis Clone is teleported in before the image goes away.

quote:
Can a teleport be performed from a ship?

Yes, it can.

quote:
Maybe a one way teleport but not a teleport circle?

That could be done as well, yes.

quote:
Btw, the big twist at the end of this is suppose to be that the High King himself is the BBEG... dun dun DUN!!! My idea being that he wants a new sword to be forged to replace the sword destroyed in the battle with Bhaal... Cymrych Hugh's sword that was part of the Moonshae Royal Regalia. Nothing forged by the best weaponsmiths has been able to please him.

That sounds fantastic. Very nice!

quote:
Along with the RDH traveling to the Moonshaes there are 3 clerics of Chauntea coming to perform a sanctifying and cleansing ritual at the Moonwell were Kazgaroth and Bhaal were defeated. The new gods continuing to encroach here and replace the Earthmother. One of them, however, is actually not a cleric of Chauntea, but is actually a priest of Bhaal, or now maybe Bane. The intent is to disrupt the cleansing of the moonwell.

That sounds like legitimate cover there.

quote:
(wow, sorry for the wall of text there.)

No sweat at all. I have a very particular style and approach to posts/rebuttals/comments that tend to be longer, so no issue from me at all!

quote:
Hopefully these are good ideas. I worry that I could be getting too cute and complicated. A gaming friend of mine tells me all the time that some things make for good stories and some things make for good games. Know the difference.

Well, at the end of the day, as long as you have having fun, you're doing it right! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2020 :  23:58:40  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am enjoying this and should say that the input and assistance has contributed to that immensely.

Magic has never been my thing/strong suit. I have always tended towards martial characters. So, the spell suggestions is an enormous help. Thank you! I just have to check into them and see where it takes me.

Btw, I meant to include this before. Your idea about the court spy... I'm seeing the "false cleric" of Chauntea as filling that role. This is a new development so none of this is figured out yet, but I think it's got some interesting potential. Him being a servant of Bhaal could make him an assassin... again, working for the High King... unbeknownst to the false cleric... removing those in the Ffolk nobility that the High King sees as disloyal and impediments to his misguided plans.

RDH and the false cleric may even know each other, become aware of each other, or be working in conjunction... or maybe they end up in opposition to each other. RDH wants control by using and manipulating the nobility (Bane). While the false cleric is fulfilling a contract and serving his god (Bhaal).

Anyway. Rough but interesting.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2020 :  02:01:12  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker wildeman,

Well make sure you keep up up-to-date on this. Though, might I make a suggestion once you've got this all figured out for what you will do, once you've got your fill of lore and advice? I would suggest starting up a scroll in the "Adventuring" tome.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

wildeman
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2020 :  02:07:20  Show Profile Send wildeman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, why a scroll in the Adventuring tome?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2020 :  02:53:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess would be to tell the stories of your adventures.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2020 :  05:02:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker wildeman,

I want to make sure I am clear here by the way: I don't mean to be rude and tell you shouldn't be doing one thing or another. Generally speaking the "Sages of Realmslore" tome houses scrolls meant to answer those lore based questions you have, to pontificate upon the deep, Savras like questions that puzzle us all, etc. The "Adventures" tome is specifically to house scrolls about all of those fantastic adventuring tales to come! :)

Best regards as always!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000