Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The FR is getting an MTG set summer 2021
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  15:53:05  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/zendikar-debut-and-announcement-day-recap-2020-09-01

The rammifications of this beyond MtG is that we might finally get a proper FRCG style book for 5e as when Ravnica and Theros got sets it lead to them getting Setting books for D&D.

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  17:28:05  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious what the cards will be for various people in the Realms...or if they will invent all new characters.

I say that because it would go a long way to being able to convert MTG NPCs into D&D stats if we have cards to compare.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  17:28:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's just an FR-themed set for Magic.

There's no further ramifications, here. The current design team will not give us a proper campaign setting book -- because then they'd have to actually nail down something. Right now, they're keeping everything as vague as they possibly can so they can make more adventures without any regard to continuity.

This announcement is really more of the same: milking the Forgotten Realms name for all that they can, without developing it or adding to it.

The Forgotten Realms is just a brand, to these folks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Sep 2020 17:33:34
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  18:44:36  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We’ll probably get more lore from this set than we have in all of 5e. I don’t get the complaining and catastrophizing on this one; this is content, it might even be good, and if it sells well we have every reason to expect more Realms stuff.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  19:37:28  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this mean that DnD & FR will be getting that sweet sweet MtG money again? Can we get new novels that aren't Drizzt related?!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  21:32:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

We’ll probably get more lore from this set than we have in all of 5e. I don’t get the complaining and catastrophizing on this one; this is content, it might even be good, and if it sells well we have every reason to expect more Realms stuff.

I don't know how we'd get new lore on a bunch of cards... Especially given that even in the books we've gotten thus far, the lore has been sparse, at best.

I don't want to be a downer on this... But since 4E was announced, every time I've dared to get my hopes up, with regards to new lore, I've either been mildly disappointed or crushingly disappointed and highly irritated. I went out of my way to defend WotC for a long time and practically begged people to give WotC a chance, and what WotC gave us in return was worse than most naysayers predicted.

So I could be mistaken, here -- but going by what they've given us thus far, in 5E, I think low expectations are still optimistic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Sep 2020 21:36:20
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2020 :  21:49:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How often do they release sets and how many cards are typically in a "set"? I'm surprised they were announcing like several new product lines, as I didn't know people were really buying that many mtg sets to collect anymore. I haven't played this game in probably 20 years, but I did enjoy it. I'd be willing to buy a couple decks just to have enough to play a round (think I have 2 decks in my closet that I bought on a whim 8 years back that I never used) if it had FR characters on them. Lord knows they've already got artwork out there.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  00:13:22  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I don't know how we'd get new lore on a bunch of cards... Especially given that even in the books we've gotten thus far, the lore has been sparse, at best.

I don't want to be a downer on this... But since 4E was announced, every time I've dared to get my hopes up, with regards to new lore, I've either been mildly disappointed or crushingly disappointed and highly irritated. I went out of my way to defend WotC for a long time and practically begged people to give WotC a chance, and what WotC gave us in return was worse than most naysayers predicted.

So I could be mistaken, here -- but going by what they've given us thus far, in 5E, I think low expectations are still optimistic.

There’s flavor text on a lot of cards, and they just announced they’re going back to their old model of two short fiction pieces a week for each set.

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  01:06:53  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

How often do they release sets and how many cards are typically in a "set"? I'm surprised they were announcing like several new product lines, as I didn't know people were really buying that many mtg sets to collect anymore. I haven't played this game in probably 20 years, but I did enjoy it. I'd be willing to buy a couple decks just to have enough to play a round (think I have 2 decks in my closet that I bought on a whim 8 years back that I never used) if it had FR characters on them. Lord knows they've already got artwork out there.

Sets every three months, ~300 cards a set, and that’s just counting Standard-legal, not stuff released for other formats.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  02:02:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Sets every three months, ~300 cards a set, and that’s just counting Standard-legal, not stuff released for other formats.

When you buy a basic deck for them, do you still get all the same cards, or is that pretty random? Just wondering if it would be worth it to buy like 2 maybe 3 decks with guessing something like 60 cards in each versus a bunch of little booster packs.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 Sep 2020 02:03:01
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  02:26:06  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

When you buy a basic deck for them, do you still get all the same cards, or is that pretty random? Just wondering if it would be worth it to buy like 2 maybe 3 decks with guessing something like 60 cards in each versus a bunch of little booster packs.

They sell what they call Planeswalker Decks as an introductory product, and then boosters still exist - though the more cost effective way is to buy individual specific cards you want from resellers.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  02:50:37  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/magic-the-gathering-dungeons-dragons-set-2021/

Some more info on the FR set, it really makes me think a FRCG type book is coming, I mean it sounds like they invested alot into the artwork for FR for them not to use it. We are likely talking over 300 pieces of FR art work if you include alternate art work, and any tie in products. Planeswalker and/or Commander Decks are very likely in my honest opinion. And it does sound like a tie in story is coming with the set.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  02:53:23  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

There’s flavor text on a lot of cards, and they just announced they’re going back to their old model of two short fiction pieces a week for each set.

Minor correction, its a 1 chapter per day on Wesdays and 1 Short Story on Fridays, so its like getting both a novel and an anthology for free for every set, over times.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  04:05:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to get my hopes up for a FRCG. They've had YEARS to do one and have ignored the fan base throughout them. I don't play MtG (or similar games) but there is SERIOUS money in them. This, to me, is just an attempt to form a gateway between the two for MtG players to develop interest in the Realms and strict DnD players to get interested in MtG. I'm not complaining, they have every right to make money...I just don't see them giving us new lore after so many years without it. There's also the fact that they've ignored everything beyond the Sword Coast when there are so many other popular areas to develop in the current era of the Realms (Cormyr, the Dalelands, the Moonsea, etc).

No, we won't get what we want.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  05:22:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't know how we'd get new lore on a bunch of cards...

MtG itself has accumulated tons of lore from a bunch of cards.

It's a style emulated in the "flavor text" descriptors appended to things in many video games - like Torchlight, Fallout, Borderlands, Diablo - which have become the basis of much popular lore and even additional game mechanics or game content.

Not all of this flavor text lore is great. A lot is vapid and cheesy. Some is always too comical, too grim, or too bizarre to properly fit into the setting (yet too many people treat it too seriously). Or it just outright wrong from in-setting perspective because it had to reformatted into something else which provides out-of-setting game balance.

But still a lot of flavor text can accumulate into a lot of lore. Far more than what the text itself proclaims.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  05:40:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-That's cool. I don't play Magic but if I have some disposable income maybe I'll pick up the set for the artwork and novelty of it.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerűn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerűn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  05:56:03  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be the downer since Wooly doesn't want to be it......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  06:10:21  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If nothing else, it’s an excuse to get several hundred new pieces of expensive Realms artwork. I hope at least one dragonborn sneaks in.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  07:13:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the news and I don't think words can describe just how excited I am for this! As both a avid MTG player (casual as it is, I don't like tournaments), and consumer of their lore and cards and to have that interpose into the Realms....well it's just fantastic IMO.

we should be getting cards that reflect a ton of the heroes and villains throughout the setting. not just that, but spells from D&D as well. While there's already a ton of spells that cross-over like counterspell, lightning bolt, Fireball, etc I'd love to see what Aganazzars scorcher does or what artifacts are going to be brought over.

Then there are the specific sites that are tied to certain Manas.
• Blue/Island is easily the Sea of Swords and Evermeet: Island of Elves.
• Black/Swamp could be the Mere of Dead Men, Marshes of Chelembyr
• Red/Mountains I see Mt. Hotenow, Galena Mts.
• Green/Forest Neverwinter Woods, Cloakwood, High Forest
• White/Plains this one's kind of rough because this is just open plains with sparse trees, so pick any location within the Western heartlands in your good

We should also get pretty awesome Dragon cards too, like Klauth.

I don't see this affecting D&D much, maybe only as a bridge between the two, a peek behind the veil of the respective games. At the most, it acknowledges what I've been saying since they published MTG settings as playable D&D areas, that these places exist, or can, be reached through Realmspace like Greyhawk or Eberron could.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  11:59:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/magic-the-gathering-dungeons-dragons-set-2021/

Some more info on the FR set, it really makes me think a FRCG type book is coming, I mean it sounds like they invested alot into the artwork for FR for them not to use it. We are likely talking over 300 pieces of FR art work if you include alternate art work, and any tie in products. Planeswalker and/or Commander Decks are very likely in my honest opinion. And it does sound like a tie in story is coming with the set.

Well, this at least tells me that its not just taking all the artwork from the last 20 years and dumping it on cards, so that's at least a plus. Just wondering, on the MTG side, do they release copies of all their artwork in digital form for free (like they used to do for the d&d products where they would release a set of all the artwork from a given book)? I used to love being able to take those snippets and putting them into a character sheet.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 Sep 2020 11:59:48
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  12:19:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I saw the news and I don't think words can describe just how excited I am for this! As both a avid MTG player (casual as it is, I don't like tournaments), and consumer of their lore and cards and to have that interpose into the Realms....well it's just fantastic IMO.

we should be getting cards that reflect a ton of the heroes and villains throughout the setting. not just that, but spells from D&D as well. While there's already a ton of spells that cross-over like counterspell, lightning bolt, Fireball, etc I'd love to see what Aganazzars scorcher does or what artifacts are going to be brought over.

• White/Plains this one's kind of rough because this is just open plains with sparse trees, so pick any location within the Western heartlands in your good

I don't see this affecting D&D much, maybe only as a bridge between the two, a peek behind the veil of the respective games. At the most, it acknowledges what I've been saying since they published MTG settings as playable D&D areas, that these places exist, or can, be reached through Realmspace like Greyhawk or Eberron could.

Oh, so they name the locations?
Plains... the Shaar locations.

Is there any chance there might be a "land" that has additional factors? EDIT: actually looking at the original link, they're doing something like that for whatever Zendikar is. They have "fetch lands" and lands that can do other things.

Mountains:
Star Mounts - some kind of bonus to Nature type magics & creatures

Mount Jiksidur/Hark's Finger (i.e. Larloch's fallen enclave)- a bonus to necromancy

Thaymount - a bonus to fire magics & creatures

Dustwall Mountains - a bonus to "desert" magics & creatures

Lhairghal the West Wall, Nathaghal the North Wall, Mauraghal Mountains the East Wall (Halruaa's 3 "wall" mountains)- maybe if you have all 3 of these in play some bonus happens to magic

Forest
Sharawood - as a defensive unit only you can spend mana on the fly to resummon "the Everlasting Wyrm"

Stuff like that, would we maybe see stuff like that? If so, then that's really cool, and yes I would be interested.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 03 Sep 2020 12:57:21
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  17:46:50  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get what Wooly's saying, but I still think I wanna buy this set. I hope they use classic FR characters/setting, but doubt it somehow!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  20:02:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonder if Thunderstorm (aka Dud Onahorz) will get a card.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  10:58:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, so they name the locations?
Plains... the Shaar locations.

Well there are "basic land" which are your swamps, plains, islands, etc. and then there's Special land that do other things.

quote:

Is there any chance there might be a "land" that has additional factors? EDIT: actually looking at the original link, they're doing something like that for whatever Zendikar is. They have "fetch lands" and lands that can do other things.

Yeah, Special lands exist in almost all sets, some do effects that are just active while some can be activated with other Mana. Something like this Crypt of Agadeem or Miragia Forest

quote:

Mountains:
Star Mounts - some kind of bonus to Nature type magics & creatures

Mount Jiksidur/Hark's Finger (i.e. Larloch's fallen enclave)- a bonus to necromancy

Thaymount - a bonus to fire magics & creatures

Dustwall Mountains - a bonus to "desert" magics & creatures

Lhairghal the West Wall, Nathaghal the North Wall, Mauraghal Mountains the East Wall (Halruaa's 3 "wall" mountains)- maybe if you have all 3 of these in play some bonus happens to magic

Forest
Sharawood - as a defensive unit only you can spend mana on the fly to resummon "the Everlasting Wyrm"

Stuff like that, would we maybe see stuff like that? If so, then that's really cool, and yes I would be interested

Absolutely! I hope whomever they get has a great amount of locations in the realms and has a decent way to represent that in M:tG cards. I'm really looking forward to Equipment and artifacts. I'd love to give my heroes or legendary Characters Aegis-Fang or maybe Flame Tongue
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  13:04:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Evermeet would likely be a Legendary Land that likely could be tapped for Blue and Green mana, its a magical Island, but it has Forests and wild elves too.

The Plains of Purple Dust maybe White and Red Mana.

Skald City of the Gods black and white mana.

Undermountain Black and Red mana.

The Fane of Shadows Black and Blue Mana.

Soooooo many locations to choose from. Too many for all of them to be done.

Same with characters, Spells, Artifacts, and creatures, there are only 300-to 350 cards to work with, although hopefully there will be double sides cards like Zendikar is getting, like an Undermountain side and a Halaster side on one card.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  13:07:01  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Well, this at least tells me that its not just taking all the artwork from the last 20 years and dumping it on cards, so that's at least a plus. Just wondering, on the MTG side, do they release copies of all their artwork in digital form for free (like they used to do for the d&d products where they would release a set of all the artwork from a given book)? I used to love being able to take those snippets and putting them into a character sheet.

They use some of the art as free digital wall papers that can be found on mtg's website.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  13:26:59  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folks seem to think that the FR set will get planeswalker Decks as a tie in, I think it will get Commander Decks instead because covering all the important stuff in FR in one set of 270-300 cards will be hard,but add in 5 Commander Decks, with 100 different cards each hopefully add set in FR will help fix that, bringing the number of cards set in FR up to 770-800 cards, although only 270-300 of them will be standard legal.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  13:47:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw this means FR is almost certainly getting an MtG style trailer,that the FR set is going to be in Magic Arena and Magic Online their digital games, that it will get the 1 chapter per week novel and 1 short story per week tied to a Legendary character treatment that Zendikar is getting (and that Kaldheim and Strixhaven will also most likely get), it will get boosters, and collector boosers, and box toppers, VIP boosters, foils,alternate art, Planeswalkers or Commander Decks and possibly other stuff.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  15:35:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, even though I've played MtG, its been so long ago I'm effectively out of touch. I have enjoyed looking at some of the stuff I've seen with these taking Magic settings and turning them into campaign settings (I loved Ixalan). While I'm not as big on the Ravnica stuff, I have also gotten a couple of the art of magic books on the cheap from amazon as used books to see what things were about. So then I just got this mythic odyssey of Theros work last month, and I'm still working through it, but I must say that I like it. What I'd like to know is how much of this was in the card game, and how much of this was made up for the supplement. I mean, were all these gods designed for the card game? I'm literally still working my way through that book, because I got sidelined with some odd want to make satyr 3d models for fun, so I did that for about a week in between things. I can definitely see where they're writing in things in this book that would frustrate realms "gotta have the exact facts" personaes, but still there's some decent lore in it. Was all this done for the card game?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  16:09:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, even though I've played MtG, its been so long ago I'm effectively out of touch. I have enjoyed looking at some of the stuff I've seen with these taking Magic settings and turning them into campaign settings (I loved Ixalan). While I'm not as big on the Ravnica stuff, I have also gotten a couple of the art of magic books on the cheap from amazon as used books to see what things were about. So then I just got this mythic odyssey of Theros work last month, and I'm still working through it, but I must say that I like it. What I'd like to know is how much of this was in the card game, and how much of this was made up for the supplement. I mean, were all these gods designed for the card game? I'm literally still working my way through that book, because I got sidelined with some odd want to make satyr 3d models for fun, so I did that for about a week in between things. I can definitely see where they're writing in things in this book that would frustrate realms "gotta have the exact facts" personaes, but still there's some decent lore in it. Was all this done for the card game?

Yes, every single one of the Gods of Theros mentioned in the book is from the card game, and they each have at least 1 card, and the main ones have 2 or 3 cards.

The book Mythic Odysessy's of Theros fills in the blanks when needed or to adf alittle immersion here and there, but mostly its stuff pulled from the Theros card sets or the Theros novel (the Theros enovel you can buy dirt cheaply as an ebook on Amazon).
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2020 :  16:44:31  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how the setting will be however...I'll think that this, alongside with BG3, is a good chance for FR to expand beyond the gamebooks, made if successful we'll get some new novels...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000