Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Abordabe
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  00:02:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do we know anything about this 5’4”, 145 lb with 17 Strength 30th level fighter and chieftain of the largest tribe of Nar? I haven’t seen anything since The Bloodstone Lands until someone brought him up recently on a Facebook page.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  01:03:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  01:56:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5’4” 145lb is awfully small stature for a 17 Strength 30th level fighter if he's supposed to be human. Even if he is supposed to be she instead. Not enough mass for that much muscle power.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  02:09:56  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it is the result of a mishap with a couple potions. One was a potion of diminution and he accidently mixed it with another one so the potions partially shrank him making his limbs all thin and him slightly shorter. The affect is permanent so now he gets to fight as basically a stick figure with his abilities not reduced.

I will have to dig out that supplement and see what it says.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 27 Aug 2020 02:20:32
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  04:02:21  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was written up under 1e/2e when exceptional strength was still a thing. So the 'large musculature' was more a product of hitting 18/01-18/00 strength. Furthermore, I've known short people who where easily 17 Strength in terms of what they could lift. And being 30th level is a product of experience, not size.

To answer your question I don't know if he's been covered anywhere else. RAS wrote some novels in the region so he may be in one of them. I can't say as I haven't read them myself but it's a possibility.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 27 Aug 2020 04:03:59
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  13:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be perfectly fair, it was during a time when we had pregen characters (H4 adventure) of 100th level. I would really like to see more about the Nar though.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  14:09:24  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
100th level??? That had to have been 1e. My understanding is there was a limit of 40th in 2e.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  15:00:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, 1e on the cusp of 2e, with the characters of Gareth Dragonsbane as pregens for the aforementioned H4 Bloodstone adventure where they went to the Abyss to get Orcus' wand. Honestly, they turned around in 2e in the bloodstone lands product and lowered his level significantly to 21st level.

This of course makes Abordabe even that much more interesting of an individual, since he's in the same product at 30th level, and absolutely nothing was done with him since that I know of. For being 30th level, he also has a suprisingly small following (granted, 4 thousand Nars isn't minor), and no information on who his "accomplices" are. Also, while his strength is only 17, his dex is listed as 18, so I'd picture him as very much the small/fast/thick individual.

One thing that comes to mind when I find people like this (which good find Seethyr) is... do we know where their god was during the ToT? What little I see if him being in the dalelands, and then polyhedron #116 has Eric having Tempus killing a "drow lich" named Malyk who acquired a portion of Mystra's power (which later became the guardian's tear in further development, and Talos rather than Tempus gaining the power of Malyk). I could very much picture Tempus occupying this guy if the person accepted.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2020 :  23:25:24  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
....or at least as a chosen during the Sundering if he somehow made it that long (or got raised)

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2020 :  01:37:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was 65 in the 1360's (which would account for his strength being less in 2nd edition, as I think back then they were doing the penalties to str bonus to int as you age thing). However, if you wanted to use him post sundering, the idea that most resonates with me would be clone, considering that 5e allows you to clone a younger body. In fact, when I look at where his tribe is located, it brings some interesting ideas to mind. They are near "Hark's Finger" also known as "Mount Jiksidur".... also known as "Larloch's fallen netherese enclave". It might be interesting if he has some ties to Larloch, or perhaps he discovered a "cloning chamber" inside of Jiksidur and has been using it to renew his body. This might also cause some conflicts with some Nars who don't like magic.

From Bloodstone Lands about Tribe Abordabe
Abordabe
Population: 4,000
Locale: Central Narfell between Hark's Finger and the western banks of the Teardrops.
Disposition: Tolerant
The largest of the Nar tribes, Abordabe oversees the Trade Fair each summer. The tribe views foreigners more as a source of added wealth than as enemies.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  04:27:07  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bruce Lee was hella strong and not a large person.

Simple potions could allow him to live a long time...or even those with wishes.

Doesn’t have to be complicated for him to be a long lived bad arses.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  15:01:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Bruce Lee was hella strong and not a large person.

Simple potions could allow him to live a long time...or even those with wishes.

Doesn’t have to be complicated for him to be a long lived bad arses.

I don't know, potions of Longevity aren't supposed to be simple to find in canon (though they should be now that all you need is a clone spell.... but that's another argument for another day), and he'd have to consume several to get an extra 120 years (at 65 he's pretty old already in the 1360's). I'm just noting that if we want to use him, we should probably find something pretty believable (and finding a cloning chamber in a netherese enclave devoted to a necromancer, I'd buy more than this guy managed to get his hands on say 4 or 5 potions of longevity). Maybe this cloning chamber was even something that Larloch himself was using to stay alive and young, but when his enclave fell after Karsus' Folly, all his clones that were on hand failed and his lich ritual kicked in. Just an idea. Could be improved. But this idea does put a reason to explore Jiksidur (or rather more of a reason) into the lore. What else for instance might be found in that old enclave still that might not be possible to remove and it still function.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  21:02:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are also spells which halt aging. High-levrl stuff like timestop and Phezult's sleep of ages. Middly level (and far more common) stuff like petrify. This fighter might have spent decades as a lawn ornament for a medusa before some plucky adventurers came along. Or might have been voluntarily suspended like a "sleeping sword" sworn to awaken at some point in the future, when needed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  21:21:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

There are also spells which halt aging. High-levrl stuff like timestop and Phezult's sleep of ages. Middly level (and far more common) stuff like petrify. This fighter might have spent decades as a lawn ornament for a medusa before some plucky adventurers came along. Or might have been voluntarily suspended like a "sleeping sword" sworn to awaken at some point in the future, when needed.

Yeah, Petrification is a good one. It would have to be one very lucky medusa to turn a 30th level fighter, but the spellplague might do it. Or maybe he just happened to roll a 1. For that matter, just to ponder options (not necessarily for this dude).... instead of petrification, I could see someone getting turned into a tree by the spellplague and then later someone casts an area dispel and it frees them.

On the "sleeping" thing too... we could also stick that with the netherese enclave. Maybe it has a stasis trap, and this guy (along with possibily a lot of other individuals over time) gets stuck in it while exploring the enclave. I could definitely see Larloch setting up something like that as well (i.e. fits his personality).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2020 :  22:00:37  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

5’4” 145lb is awfully small stature for a 17 Strength 30th level fighter if he's supposed to be human. Even if he is supposed to be she instead. Not enough mass for that much muscle power.

Just to echo the point made by The Archanamach, Gary Russel Jr. is the WBC featherweight title holder and he is 5'4" and 126 lbs or less, and Óscar Figueroa at 5'4" is the 2016 Weightlifting gold medalist in the -62kg division by lifting a personal best 701 lbs. As these contemporary powerhouses can attest, one may be short and of fairly insignificant but still be mighty.

Regarding yet another lived-past-the-racial-maximum-age-with-little-sign-of-aging NPC, this is just a norm of the FR and there are plenty of system irrelevant hand-waviums built into the setting. As long as this NPC is not also written as banging every female in the locality then it should be easy to shrug off.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2020 :  15:00:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yeah, Petrification is a good one. It would have to be one very lucky medusa to turn a 30th level fighter, but the spellplague might do it. Or maybe he just happened to roll a 1. For that matter, just to ponder options (not necessarily for this dude).... instead of petrification, I could see someone getting turned into a tree by the spellplague and then later someone casts an area dispel and it frees them.

On the "sleeping" thing too... we could also stick that with the netherese enclave. Maybe it has a stasis trap, and this guy (along with possibily a lot of other individuals over time) gets stuck in it while exploring the enclave. I could definitely see Larloch setting up something like that as well (i.e. fits his personality).

It was a Netherese stasis trap that allowed El's nephew, Moeblur Taetyn, to be around in the mid 1300's. Those could be common in Netherese tombs/enclaves.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  07:52:20  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe TheIriaeban,

Are you referring to the H4 module, or an actual accessory?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000