Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Imagine: Abeirspace
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11719 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2020 :  17:42:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just curious, we know that Abeir is supposedly in the same crystal sphere but "out of phase" with Toril kind of. Just to imagine for a moment, what if it wasn't just a single planet that is in this Abeir-space phase of the realmspace crystal sphere (for purposes of this conversation, I'll refer to the normal realmspace as "Toril-space"). If for instance the current planets were also duplicated to a degree, I'd like make Coliar not as an air world with earth/water islands, but rather an solid planet that's a lot smaller. Not a huge deal, just figured might be fun to think about.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  16:57:39  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-This was one of the things that annoyed me the most during the 4e transition days. I remember going back and forth with Rich Baker trying to understand what exactly it was when they first turned Abeir into a thing, he said it wasn't a physical planet that was on the Material Plane, he said it wasn't a physical planet in another plane/demiplane (which is the only thing I would say "out of phase" means), he said it wasn't it's own plane/demiplane itself...It's gotten more clearer now in that we've established it's a planet, but it's fuzzy where it actually is.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2447 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  18:28:58  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed, it's in a different material plane that somehow it's still parr of Realmspace. So, if that means the Realmspace crystal sphere is divided in two, with two different material planes in each halves, or if the sphere is shared concurrently by two different material planes, I don't know.

On topic. If Abeirspace has many than one world, remember that this was a primordial ruled space. I can see them destroying worlds with the intention of remaking them later, but never could because dragons. Abeirspace must be full of debris of destroyed worlds and perhaps a pair of proto-worlds.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  19:45:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always felt like Abeir was more of a demiplane, myself, rather than a full world -- it seems a better fit, and avoids the whole mess of it being Schrodinger's planet (it's there, but it's not really there, but it is!).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11719 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  19:55:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

According to Ed, it's in a different material plane that somehow it's still parr of Realmspace. So, if that means the Realmspace crystal sphere is divided in two, with two different material planes in each halves, or if the sphere is shared concurrently by two different material planes, I don't know.

On topic. If Abeirspace has many than one world, remember that this was a primordial ruled space. I can see them destroying worlds with the intention of remaking them later, but never could because dragons. Abeirspace must be full of debris of destroyed worlds and perhaps a pair of proto-worlds.

I like this option, in that perhaps there's several worlds of "present" realmspace that are destroyed in Abeirspace. Along the same lines though perhaps the primordials didn't so much go to sleep as head over to some other worlds to start tinkering. I still do like the idea that Coliar isn't a bunch of floating meteoroids though, not sure why... just to have it different.

Of course, this would probably never get used, but sometimes just pondering is fun in itself. One thing, I'd rather Glyth not have been kind of "overrun" by aberration type stuff (i.e. gelatin everywhere, mindflayers, etc...). In fact, if there were a race there that could reach between worlds (like the nerra mirrorkin, or how a boggle could reach between and triangle and have its hand come out another triangle nearby) and be messing with the mindflayers that could be interesting.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000