Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 oh god no
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  05:35:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/cutie-marks-dragons

gygax is turning over in the grave

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  06:42:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the big deal? God forbid a child learn about D&D. I'd love to hear why this is any weirder than action figures for the old D&D cartoon.

Also, how is this Realms related?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  07:47:09  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'm sure Gygax "turned over in his grave" long ago. Several editions back. When Wizbro quietly but firmly shifted away from "it's your game, make up whatever rules your group likes, be fair and consistent, but anything goes so be creative and have fun!" to "buy our official D&D products to get the latest official rules, anything else can break the game and isn't really kosher".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  07:55:02  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

'm sure Gygax "turned over in his grave" long ago. Several editions back. When Wizbro quietly but firmly shifted away from "it's your game, make up whatever rules your group likes, be fair and consistent, but anything goes so be creative and have fun!" to "buy our official D&D products to get the latest official rules, anything else can break the game and isn't really kosher".

He can rotate at supersonic speeds for all I care. The man was a libertarian evangelical who often dabbled in deeply racist thought.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  08:20:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasbro is a toy company. If they produce toys that will get kids to play 5E more power to them...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  11:55:07  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

He can rotate at supersonic speeds for all I care. The man was a libertarian evangelical who often dabbled in deeply racist thought.

That is such an incredibly ignorant thing to say. I should hope you don't get judged as harshly for failing to live up to moral standards of future generations.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  12:13:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, this reminds me of something I got from a friend. I had backed the reaper kickstarter and picked up two of the main package, so I gave him some of my duplicates. He had actually backed a "dungeons & doggies" kickstarter on a lark with dogs setup like PC's (i.e. a wizard dog, etc...), so he gave me it. I kept thinking, I may make use of it as familiars.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  12:39:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was announced back in May. I shared it here, then.

As for myself, I don't get it. I don't see the appeal of My Little Pony, and I certainly don't see a reason to do a crossover, there...

But it's not something I'm going to say too much about. I don't have reason to be bothered by it, and since I'm not the target market, I can ignore it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  12:55:31  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is absolutely something I would get for my daughters. Not for me, for my six year old that loves My Little Pony and I really want them to play with me one day. Also, God bless Gary Gygax, creator of the greatest game ever to grace this planet.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  13:08:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hasbro owns WotC, and through them, D&D.

Hasbro owns My Little Pony.

They have licensed the world and characters to Riverhorse in the UK to produce an official RPG that is age-appropriate (and, a LOT of fun). Some of the published adventures actually recreate classic D&D adventures in the new world/format. I highly recommend it to parent gamers and non-parent gamers alike!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 10 Aug 2020 16:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  13:48:21  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Given they've owned both IPs for almost two decades now, I'm surprised that it's taken this long.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  14:06:28  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both my daughters have interest in this, one has played a bit (she's 11) and the other is younger (5) but something like this would surely get them to sit down and play, I'd be all for running it for them too.

Id have to find a homebrewed Character Sheet and let them color it which is something I wish D&D would invest in (coloring books with heroes as the portrait) but it would be a blast!

Also, anything to get kids into D&D and have a great first impression is something I think is a tremendous idea, don't know why people would be against that (Gygax included)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  14:53:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This was announced back in May. I shared it here, then.

As for myself, I don't get it. I don't see the appeal of My Little Pony, and I certainly don't see a reason to do a crossover, there...

But it's not something I'm going to say too much about. I don't have reason to be bothered by it, and since I'm not the target market, I can ignore it.

I can see the market only because I've literally poured out my dwarven forge dungeon and cavern pieces for my fiancé's 7 year old (at the time) daughter and "played" a made up game with her that she affectionately called "dungeon". I poured out my plastic D&D minis and let her bring her tinker bell fairies to the table to be the heros. Gameplay was simple, I had her make up what her characters would do and then I just made up a number on a d20 that she had to roll higher than in order for it to work. I had a lot of fun with her because I added in "rules" like "well, the dungeon has to have a toilet and a kitchen", and she would agree and proceed to find something to make it happen. Its 5 years or so later, and I miss those days as she enters her teen years and begins to develop attitude when asked to do anything (even cleaning up her own mess).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  14:59:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Both my daughters have interest in this, one has played a bit (she's 11) and the other is younger (5) but something like this would surely get them to sit down and play, I'd be all for running it for them too.

Id have to find a homebrewed Character Sheet and let them color it which is something I wish D&D would invest in (coloring books with heroes as the portrait) but it would be a blast!

Also, anything to get kids into D&D and have a great first impression is something I think is a tremendous idea, don't know why people would be against that (Gygax included)

On a coloring book, one of the odd things that I've put money out for was the order of the stick coloring book. Granted that's extremely simplistic, but I'm a sucker for anything OOTS.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  15:05:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is a large part of why I don't find it objectionable. It comes across as weird, to me, and. I'm generally not in favor of mixing IPs... But it doesn't bother me enough to complain, and I certainly can't object to bringing in more players.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Aug 2020 15:05:59
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  16:32:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*cough*Official Character Sheet*cough*

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 10 Aug 2020 16:33:27
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  18:06:26  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

quote:

That is such an incredibly ignorant thing to say. I should hope you don't get judged as harshly for failing to live up to moral standards of future generations.

Gary described John Chivington, a man Wikipedia describes as a mass murderer in his opening paragraph, as an example to follow for a paladin, and drew explicit parallels between his slaughter of Native Americans and how D&D characters have a moral obligation to kill orc children. I’m not judging him by the impossibly woke standards of today, I’m saying racist genocide is bad.

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  19:38:38  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

At the risk of extending an offtopic aside that can descend into places that would get this topic locked, I just want to point out there there were PLENTY of people in Gygax's generation (and earlier generations) who called out and opposed the behavior Keftiu is describing. It's disingenuous to excuse the behavior as if no one opposed those ideas at the time.

As for My Little Pony D&D toys, I don't see an issue. They're not inserting Equestria into Abeir-Toril, and even if they made a kid-targeted D&D setting *in* Equestria, I wouldn't see an issue unless it was specifically preventing publication of something of more interest to the general D&D audience or altering an existing setting to make room for it.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  20:04:03  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The folks opposed to this really do read as a kind of bizarre “gross, now girls will get into our secret club!” sentiment in a way that feels very strange for a game old enough to have grandchildren.

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  22:28:55  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gary described John Chivington, a man Wikipedia describes as a mass murderer in his opening paragraph, as an example to follow for a paladin, and drew explicit parallels between his slaughter of Native Americans and how D&D characters have a moral obligation to kill orc children. I’m not judging him by the impossibly woke standards of today, I’m saying racist genocide is bad.

So I don't think Gygax's views on alignment and paladins specifically stand out very well today, but the way you are framing it Keftiu is really exaggerated and dishonest, because you are giving him a lot ungenerous assertions, implying that he felt that "killing orc children is a moral obligation" and "John Chivington is an exemplary for a paladin". He did provide justification for executing evil captives, but he did not say it was an obligation. He merely quoted John Chivington off-handedly "nits make lice" as a reason why not to spare evil prisoners (because they might repeat their evil acts), but he didn't say that historical figure was exemplary of a paladin.

I don't agree with his conclusions on alignment and the duties of paladins. He had a very dualistic view of Good and Evil that has been prevalent among the D&D community for a long time and in fantasy literature. Something I've never been a fan of, but I understand it. It's quite Lord of the Rings-like, and ultimately the worlds of DnD are massively influenced by LOTR.

Simplifying his views down to racism is quite dishonest and lazy since he was purely talking about evil fantasy races not RW ethnicities which you seem to imply that he does. And also I do really dislike people maligning figures of the past while taking advantage of their work. That is a real failure of moral integrity, which should be significant when someone who feels confident enough to be a moral judge and condemn others to damnation. He is one of the core reasons D&D exists, and for that he does deserve some credit and respect.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  22:30:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The folks opposed to this really do read as a kind of bizarre “gross, now girls will get into our secret club!” sentiment in a way that feels very strange for a game old enough to have grandchildren.

I think it's not as much a "ew, girls!" thing as is the sheer incongruity of mixing the two IPs. D&D is generally considered to be for teenagers and adults, and My Little Pony is for younger children. The two are not an obvious mix.

This certainly discounts the fact that MLP has a devoted following outside the young children demographic... But I think that's where the hangup is.

Honestly, I think this is more targeted at the brony crowd than being a gateway for kids to get into D&D. I think they want the bronies and if they can get some kids, too, it's a happy coincidence.

Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  23:24:30  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me laugh. I've got a bud who might get them for his 2 daughters. I think it's fun and worth a good laugh.

Cross platforming also brings more awareness and product acceptability.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2020 :  23:31:41  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why aren't they using the current MLP generation? Twilight Sparkle is THE example of a high Int low Wis character.

Twilight: "I don't have a weekly update for my benign godlike all-loving teacher! Oh noes, I guess I'll mindrape an entire town and make a problem to solve! THIS IS AN INTELLIGENT MOVE THAT WILL NO WAY BACKFIRE ON ME!"
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  00:10:02  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Why aren't they using the current MLP generation?

Almost certainly because River Horse got an exclusivity clause in the licensing contract for Tails of Equestria that restricted the ability of Hasbro to make or license competing products.

I mean, I haven't seen any official statement to that effect, nor do I have access to the contract's terms, but if you're going to pay Hasbro for the RPG rights for an IP, it would be plain foolish not to insist on those rights being exclusive for the term of the license.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  00:13:20  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragonAs for My Little Pony D&D toys, I don't see an issue. They're not inserting Equestria into Abeir-Toril

Though it would be pretty easy to swap out "Osse" for it.
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  04:16:14  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragonAs for My Little Pony D&D toys, I don't see an issue. They're not inserting Equestria into Abeir-Toril

My point was that Forgotten Realms fans would have some good reasons to oppose this release if Hasbro/WotC was forcing it into the Realms (or another established setting), but they're not.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  07:01:32  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

quote:
Originally posted by see

My point was that Forgotten Realms fans would have some good reasons to oppose this release if Hasbro/WotC was forcing it into the Realms (or another established setting), but they're not.

And mine is that swapping Equestria in would not, in fact, be any more deserving a hostile reaction than, say, the case of having a random freelancer for a WotC website feature grabbing an entirely undeveloped continent and unilaterally declaring the whole place Yet Another Direct Real World Analogue.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  08:18:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by see

And mine is that swapping Equestria in would not, in fact, be any more deserving a hostile reaction than, say, the case of having a random freelancer for a WotC website feature grabbing an entirely undeveloped continent and unilaterally declaring the whole place Yet Another Direct Real World Analogue.

Ugh, could we NOT have another one of those please? I'm fairly certain almost all aspects of Humanitys Earth-based cultures have been transported, unfortunately at that, to the Realms in some supplement or another over time.

Honestly, Equestria pushed into Osse doesn't bother me one bit. I could see the power of a being like Princess Celestia using her Abilities to shield out what she can of external hardships found on Faerūn, Abeir/Maztica, and Kara-Tur.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  09:04:04  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

*cough*Official Character Sheet*cough*

Thank ya kindly!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  10:36:55  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ugh, could we NOT have another one of those please?

Eh, I don't think you run that risk under what seems to be the current editorial direction. Doesn't seem to be any reason why WotC should just start to randomly detail continents it didn't give two s***s about for 20-30 years.

On topic, I don't see a problem there. I'ts obvious the caveat is "until it becomes so pervasive you find MyLittlePony references everywhere in the Realms" but I don't think is necessary to make that caveat. Or rather it should be made for each new thing coming out "OotA? Ok but let's not have demons all the time, SKT ok but no infinite giants" etc ... (Come to think of it, someone using the caveat above might have saved us from the Shar/shades onslaught ...)

Also, during the Rise of the Underdark days of ... 4e? ... the DDO MMORPG had an expansion set in Cormyr and the local Underdark and the loot of the capstone ("raid") battle with Lolth had a couple of weapons with names/references to MyLittlePny (might be more but I'm not an expert so I don't know if there are others):

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Twilight,_Element_of_Magic
https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Celestia,_Brightest_Star_of_Day
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2020 :  11:47:43  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by see

Ugh, could we NOT have another one of those please? I'm fairly certain almost all aspects of Humanitys Earth-based cultures have been transported, unfortunately at that, to the Realms in some supplement or another over time.

Honestly, Equestria pushed into Osse doesn't bother me one bit. I could see the power of a being like Princess Celestia using her Abilities to shield out what she can of external hardships found on Faerūn, Abeir/Maztica, and Kara-Tur.

Canon Celestia flip flops from being a compassionate demigoddess to a blithering incompetent to being the living embodiment of nepotism. I like Sunbutt, but there's no way she's in any way prepared for dealing with the Realms. Canon Celestia couldn't defeat Sombra, and an alternate timeline shows him conquering the Crystal Empire and mounting a successful offensive against Equestria. Celestia's go-to solution for every problem is "throw Twilight Sparkle at it", which explains why Bookhorse Purplesmart is a neurotic wreck.

Celestia's power also comes from her innate tie to the sun. She's a powerful pony, but (ignoring her dominion over the sun, which ties to her cutie mark) 'magic' in Equestria is certainly tamer than anything in D&D. The most impressive feat of combat magic is from Twilight, and she was juiced up on the power of her senior princesses.

Sunbutt would just be another Alustriel, unless she's willing to throw down with Lathander. Luna's in an arguably worse place; she's treading on Shar's domain. Cadance's domain is in kind of a weird place, since she's married and doesn't actually seem to rule over love the way the Diarchs claim the celestial bodies.

Twilight being the Princess of Magic in a world where you can't trip over a rock without irritating some ancient all-powerful lich is also going to cause problems.

Honestly, the best way to deal with it is to have Equestria being another Crystal sphere, with the Diarchs and company being the newcomers to the Planes.

Edited by - LordofBones on 11 Aug 2020 11:49:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000