Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The reference of a 4th working with the dead three
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  22:36:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, you'll see me looking at some other stuff in another thread, and it got me thinking about the rise of the Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. I remember there was some reference in some 2e product maybe that mentioned there being a 4th individual working with them, but the person was "dead" or somesuch. I don't believe I've ever read the actual reference, and I wanted to play with an idea. Anyone recall what it was in and/or roughly where?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  03:45:54  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be clear; you’re not talking about Jergal, but another mortal?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  04:26:05  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul, and their mysterious fourth member, Jim-Bob. He was tragically murdered by Bhaal after one too many campfire meals spoiled by loud, tone-deaf ukelele playing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  04:33:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not recall such a reference.

There was a mention of another power -- Malar, I think -- who tried to get involved in the knucklebones game with Jergal, but that wasn't a cooperative thing, it was a "hey, I can steal some more power!" thing and it didn't work out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  04:34:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he is thinking about Malar that interfered https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dead_Three in the bowling contest.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  13:09:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I remember Markustay bringing it up in the past, and he felt like it was possibly Kipputytto. I'm not wanting to assume its her, but I wanted to see what the exact text said. Maybe it was in one of the Steven Schend books like Empires of the Shining Sea or Lands of Intrigue, because I never had those when I was younger.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  13:37:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nm, I think I found it. It was Markustay saying that the group needed a 4th member (i.e. a fighter, a mage, a rogue but no priest), and he was noting possible paths for the other 3 to having some godsblood in them in some form. He had a theory that Talona killed off Kiputytto by inflicting her with the "disease" of mortality in the stonelands and so Kip would make a great priest to go with them. Not canon, but I could have sworn he had something referencing a fourth person who died.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  00:13:15  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, later interpretations of the Dark Three's classes make it significantly easier to believe that a cleric would have been superfluous. Bane could have very well been a Paladin of Tyranny, and Myrkul was a wizard; binding some evil outsider as the party healbot would have been child's play (and as an epic spellcaster, he wouldn't ahve needed to know divine healing spells, the Heal seed just requires Knowledge (religion) ranks)..

Alternatively, like most munchkin parties, they simply loaded up on CLW wands.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  00:22:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were the potions of healing as well. There were a few different ways to gain hit points besides wands, not counting any thing a high level (they were high level to take out a deity, right? )character might design or find that was rare and powerful.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  01:11:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, main thing, I thought he was quoting something, and he wasn't. Weird how the mind works, but his quote was 8 years ago, so..

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  02:07:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The Dead Three were men's men. They didn't need no damn healing potions!

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000