Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Cormyr lore question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

atesinde
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  21:10:28  Show Profile Send atesinde a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings everyone!

I'm a really unexperienced DM and now I'm preparing my first campaign in Cormyr.

The storyline of campaign is based on a great sect of the Anthraxus that kidnap folks, torture to the point of losing faith and finally kill them to transform their souls into worms of Grey wastes. Anthraxus' servants sell the souls of the victims to armies of Abyss and Nine Hells that fight constantly.

The means of kidnapping include orcs' attacks on the villages, spreading the diseases, using Suzail's rebels groups and peachers of "freedom from kings and gods" (and small sects of their followers).

I'm digging into Cormyr's lore now but information is spreaded from page to page and from book to book.

I would really grateful if you guide me briefly through foundations of Cormyr modern politic situation up to the 1489 DR. What should I keep in mind while mastering the plot if I want to make story where all of the Cormyr's features is taken into account?

I'm looking forward your answers!

Thanks in advance.

declare variables, not war

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  22:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you're going to need to narrow your question down a bit. As it stands, considering how central Cormyr is to the Realms, you're basically asking, "Please tell me 40 years of Realmslore in a text post."

What specifically about Cormyr are you curious about, and what problems are you having starting your campaign?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  23:02:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that an "unexperienced DM" should be trying a campaign in Cormyr with invasion by a sect of Anthraxus. It is rather ambitious endeavor for one starting out as a DM.

You need not only to know Cormyr but also need a base for Anthraxus clergy and servant orcs.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2020 :  23:36:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look here: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Cormyr

If you need more, you're going to have to research it/make it up yourself.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

methority
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  10:19:54  Show Profile  Visit methority's Homepage Send methority a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh*
Guys, firstly, if she found candlekeep forum, she probably knows how to google and found many pages dedicated to Cormyr.
Secondly, this was clearly not enough, because INFORMATION ABOUT THE REALMS DOES NOT EXIST IN A UNIFIED FORM. Information about the FR is scattered all over the Internet in such a way that any newcomer is terrified and gives up.

Why have you old people who know so much about the realms still not put your knowledge in order so that nobody have to ask questions like this?

Edited by - methority on 06 Aug 2020 10:21:08
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  11:10:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by methority

*sigh*
Guys, firstly, if she found candlekeep forum, she probably knows how to google and found many pages dedicated to Cormyr.
Secondly, this was clearly not enough, because INFORMATION ABOUT THE REALMS DOES NOT EXIST IN A UNIFIED FORM. Information about the FR is scattered all over the Internet in such a way that any newcomer is terrified and gives up.

Why have you old people who know so much about the realms still not put your knowledge in order so that nobody have to ask questions like this?

I'm wondering if this post is a joke. I'll assume it is. I'll respond with a joke of similar tone. Why aren't you young people prepared to get off your backsides and do some work yourselves, instead of bothering us all the time?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Aug 2020 11:11:04
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  11:26:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joking aside, cormyr in the current era is relatively undetailed, which is a design flaw common to the realms in the current era.

There is a backdrop article for cormyr in one of the dungeon mags from 4th edition (190 ish I think).

For information from the 1360 era you are looking at the cormyr sourcebook and the volos guide to cormyr and just about every other sourcebook from that era had a little bit if cormyr lore.

I think the backdrop on cormyr article will give you the political detail you require (I don't do current era so cant help I'm afraid).
Everything else is unfortunately up to you because 4e and 5e was designed that way.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  13:39:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There should be some good Cormyr Scolls floating about.

If you are able to, get a copy Volo's Guide to Cormyr. It's a 2e product, yet alot of the Lore can or could be ported over to a current Realms game. You can find a PDF of it at GM's Guild.

As Gary said the current version of Cormyr is not really detailed.

I hope this helps, welcome.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2020 :  14:24:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also a 2E Cormyr sourcebook, though I would reach for the Volo's Guide, first -- those books give a lot more of an on-the-ground feel and do more to make the described areas come alive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  03:29:02  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oof, those poor souls. That's a horrible fate (I'm big on the fate of souls. I always feel bad when souls are taken to the Abyss or turned into worms). Just a note, Ed Greenwood has said that when people are tortured/sacrificed, it's not usually the soul itself that is sacrificed. Rather, the god or entity feeds off the despair and pain as the victim is being tortured, so they probably wouldn't actually turn into worms of the Fugue Plane (they would still go to their appropriate deity), but if you want to do it for the plot of your campaign, then of course you can.

As for Cormyr, Corymr: A Novel is great for the founding of Cormyr and lore, and if you really want to dive in, I recommend it. Brimstone Angels also has (more recent) info on Cormyr, and source books others mentioned. But if you're just looking for an overview for a campaign, then the wiki link George provided is a good place to start, and it will have a list of source material that was used to compile the article if you want to look further.

Sweet water and light laughter

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 08 Aug 2020 03:39:39
Go to Top of Page

Cyrano
Acolyte

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  11:16:07  Show Profile Send Cyrano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just had a quick search, because I was intrigued to read it and can pin down that Cormyr article to Dungeon 198.
Go to Top of Page

Cyrano
Acolyte

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2020 :  11:18:10  Show Profile Send Cyrano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Addendum: skimming through it, this could be just the primer the OP was looking for.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2020 :  05:11:27  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Methority,

I believe your answer to be somewhere between what the question posed by Acolyte atesinde and Master Krashos.

I can certainly appreciate that the volume of knowledge is vast, and very few people in this Keep I dare so are true masters of it, but I can name names for sure of the few I would consider to carry such a clepe. That being said... that kind of work is truly monstrous in the dedication through hours, publishing, and discussion to achieve. It is a bit condescending to dismiss such a labor of love with the comment left for Master Krashos. Master Krashos left nothing trite, or otherwise inappropriate, in his response by pointing to the Cormyr article that he did. The citations alone are fantastic and lead a person, succinctly, to that location.

As to the seemingly implicit indication of insufficiency, layered in your response, it is not unduly earned. While the intention of Acolyte atesinde is known, the question was in fact very broad: too broad in fact. Cormyr is over 1300 years old, and is in fact one of the most written about nations in the Realms. Asking some more detailed questions about the "modern politic" is not unreasonable.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by methority

*sigh*

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000