Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tymanther and Unther post-SS and other stuff
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  01:52:37  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're touching interesting points here. Specially seeing that after the Second Sundering, the land around Djerad Thymar and Unthalass is full with strange crystalline formations full of magical energies.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  13:06:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

You're touching interesting points here. Specially seeing that after the Second Sundering, the land around Djerad Thymar and Unthalass is full with strange crystalline formations full of magical energies.

Interesting? What happened to them? So, after the second sundering... where is this source from? The books or the SCAG or something else?

I know after the spellplague that in Laerakond there was something like dragonbane amber or somesuch too.. I wonder if there's any similarities.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2020 :  16:13:57  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're mentioned in The Devil You Know, though there are no really details about them. We know they seem to be part of the new landscape of the area post-SS.

It's one of these mysteries Erin introduced in her novels, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  01:49:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid stuff I think when bored: what do you think Gilgeam feel about that pit that has his silhouette in Unthalass? The one that opened when Tiamat killed "him" (or the original, anyways) and leads to her realm.

More serious stuff. I'm thinking that perhaps the current rulers of Mulhorand are maybe normal humans. I mean, the Mulhorandi believe they are their gods incarnate, but they started as Chosen. What if the are just that: Chosen. And now that the gods withdrew the powers from their Chosen, the Mulhorandi leaders may be just powerful priests masquerading as their gods...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 12 Aug 2020 01:52:32
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  12:31:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Stupid stuff I think when bored: what do you think Gilgeam feel about that pit that has his silhouette in Unthalass? The one that opened when Tiamat killed "him" (or the original, anyways) and leads to her realm.

More serious stuff. I'm thinking that perhaps the current rulers of Mulhorand are maybe normal humans. I mean, the Mulhorandi believe they are their gods incarnate, but they started as Chosen. What if the are just that: Chosen. And now that the gods withdrew the powers from their Chosen, the Mulhorandi leaders may be just powerful priests masquerading as their gods...

Didn't know that area exists (i.e. link to Tiamat's realm), but I'd be interested in thinking that he may try to use "his" ties to said portal to try and repoint the link to the divine domain of the Untheric gods (it was like Zigguraxus I think). Where's the original reference from?

On the rulers, I vote for them not to be "manifestations", but rather "incarnations". That's in essence the same thing as a chosen, but its passed down through the blood. There CAN be several incarnations of the same god active at the same time, but one is chosen to act as the "voice" of the god (probably the eldest, though they may pass along the responsibility to spend a few years training their replacement). One thing that's been theorized and is "partially" canon is the concept that these incarnations have their powers awakened via ritual. We see this kind of reference in the desert of desolation module where they talk about humans being escalatated to godhood in the past. Also in George's Tyrants in Scarlet there's this reference

Following the defeat of the orcs, Tarloth took on many guises and in one of them as a disciple of Horus-Re, managed to steal and imbibe some of the khaledshran, an elixir of immortality derived from the precious divine blood of the dead deity Re and given to each incarnation of Horus-Re upon that individual’s ascension to the throne of Mulhorand. His longevity secured,

which also indicates that the incarnations were doing things were doing things with godsflesh. To note, the incarnations were god-kings, but not the the god-kings were incarnations. By that, I mean within each royal line, there were also normal "human" (possibly aasimar) individuals. I'll also note while people keep saying tieflings in relation to the Mulan gods, except in a few instances, I can't see that (set being one, Druaga being another, sebekar maybe a third but more likely to be werecrocodiles, but I see offspring of Tiamat displaying draconic traits).

So, in essence, not chosen and not priests (they CAN be priests, but don't have to be). So, the incarnation of Thoth may be a sorcerer/wizard/bard/artificer/cleric (or combination), while the incarnation of Anhur might be a paladin/fighter/monk/ranger/cleric. It could be interesting to develop templates for the incarnation of each god and giving them an awakened level (initate incarnation, regular incarnation, and godsvoice incarnation... or maybe even 4 to 7 degrees). Maybe these are automatically opened as one levels, or perhaps more likely each requires a ritual that opens a new "chakra" to the god.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  15:17:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking more on the above idea of linking becoming the voice of the god to transitioning through 7 chakra openings to the divine (or in essence, opening the body to the divine), I'm thinking I like this idea more and more, and the fact that they are called "incarnates" goes well with the only D&D magic I know of that's tied to chakras (i.e. incarnum which is a magic that deals with soul energy). So perhaps they call this process "opening themselves to the incarnum of a god". It opens the option that perhaps every family member is an "incarnation", but most only have the first or second chakra opened. This might even start from a very young age, such as ten or so. From a template/gameplay standpoint, it might be worthwhile to discuss the mechanics of what it might mean for each of these chakra openings. Here's what comes to my mind

1st chakra (Holy Nose and Throat)
The incarnation becomes a simple vessel symbolizing the feeding and simple sensations of the god. Perhaps the abilities opened at this level are the same across incarnations are the same and very simple: purify food & drink once per short rest, create water once per short rest, and the Thaumaturgy cantrip (they use thaumaturgy to enhance their voice, change their eye color, make torches brighten or darken, make thunder or the earth shake, etc...). Perhaps when they reach 6th level as a character they may cast create food & water once/long rest

2nd chakra (Holy Legs)
They become the "movement" of the divine will and begin delivering their message TO the people. Perhaps this as well is a near universal set of abilities, such as longstrider once/short rest and levitate once/short rest. Perhaps at 8th level they open up fly once/long rest.

3rd chakra (Holy Touch)
They become the "hand" of the divine will and gain the ability to deliver succor to the people. Perhaps this as well is a near universal set of abilities, such as bless once/short rest and cure wounds once/short rest, and maybe the spare the dying cantrip. Maybe at 10th level they get revivify

4th chakra (Holy Sight)
At this point, they become the "eyes" of the divine and gain "insight". This should be a point at which the character gains some divination spell(s) which fit the god. Spell levels should not exceed say 4th level. Perhaps the character also gains a feat which is specific to the god from a small selection of 2 or 3 feats.

5th chakra (loins)
At this point, they become very close to the god, and perhaps only children born of an incarnation at this point continue to BE royal (to prevent houses that grow so huge that they simply can't be still considered royal). However, an incarnation who is still "lesser" might be married off to an individual with the loins chakra open so as to allow for two families to negotiate a breeding contract.

At this point, some kind of very specific special ability should be opened up to each character that fits the type of god. It might be spells. It might be some kind of generic ability bonus to certain ability scores. It might be a feat or some other ability that fits a certain type of class.

6th chakra (voice)
At this point, the incarnation begins to take an active role in leading the people. Perhaps they also become involved with the church hierarchy as well, perhaps as a personal liason from the pharaoh to the church. The high priests still listen to their god's will, but all are beholden to the pharaoh's will as well, and so these individuals work to deliver the will of the god to the Pharaoh and vice-versa so that the priests can focus less on politics and more on the will of the god.

At this point, this should start opening up several upper level abilities. They might be spells from a selection of spells, plus perhaps some special ability significant to the god. No spells above say 6th level, but once the character hits say 15th character level, maybe it opens up some 7th level or less spell. Perhaps some defenses as well. They should also have some kind of commanding aura, enchantment, or somesuch.

7th chakra (Holy spirit)
The incarnation is the divine voice of the god in the world and able to directly command the priesthood in times of emergency to the realm.
This should be the capstone. All abilities tailored to the god. Some defense, some utility, and some attack capability. Perhaps some ability to raise the dead as well, or call upon mummies of former incarnations or somesuch.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2020 :  22:39:07  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, the Pit of Many Colors is mentioned in either Champions of Ruin or Champions of Valor. I don't remember the exact book.

However, I don't think Gilgeam would have an easy time trying to subvert the pit for his use. Unlike him, Tiamat isn't only a true goddess, she wasn't inactive in the area for a whole century.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2020 :  01:11:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True it may be hard, and he might not accomplish it, but even if he just establishes a secondary link to the portal (its easier to modify than build new, and this already has "ties" to him) that could serve his ends. In the end, I don't think rebuilding his capital is all about the city, and more about finding something buried there. He might also use the pit as a lure trap to catch followers of Tiamat by putting defenses around it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2020 :  02:04:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that connection can be potential. We don't know if this guy is really Gilgeam or just someone impersonating him. Perhaps he can use the Pit to try to kill Tiamatans, but I don't know if Gilgeam (or "Gilgeam") wants to draw the attention of someone who already killed him once.

This makes me wonder how Gilgeam is going to deal with the other factions already living in the city. Such as the lamias, the Tiamatans and the Cult of the Dragon (that at this point can be just another arm of the church of Tiamat).

As for the incarnations thing, the mechanics seem interesting, but for 5e I guess the rules for divine players in Theros are more easier...

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  18:22:57  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Oddly, my variant on a returned Akanax turns this on its head in a lot of ways (the idea being that a Crintri Princess from Dambrath "housed" the war goddess Inanna as a lesser avatar <or what they believed was Inanna> and a Chessentan scion of Akanax "housed" the war/thunder god Ramman <or what they believed was Ramman> as a lesser avatar while on Abeir. The two mortals housing avatars stood up against Shyr when their forces were sent into the Shaar, working together. The two mortals fell in love, and even after the avatars left them they were still in love. Some dark elves and wood elves of the Chondalwood falsely saw this goddess as a version of Eilistraee reborn. The Crintri princess also commanded a retinue of barbarians from Dambrath, while the Scion of Akanax drew followers from Chessenta. In addition, some wemics, hybsil, and centaurs were drawn to these two former avatars leadership. They went to the former city of Akanax while in Abeir and reseized the city (which admittedly Shyr had not placed significant forces there after the current residents fled). They've fortified the city, and with the return of the city after the second sundering, its a very cosmopolitan city in Chessenta with a strong belief in the way of the warrior. There is a heresy amongst the Metahel that the two gods that filled these two mortals were not actually Inanna and Ramman, but actually Metahel gods known as Sifya the War Mother and Thoros the thunder god, a pair of deities known to be in love within their own pantheon.

The return of this new Akanax is strangely at odds with a nearby city of "new" Chessenta which grew from the remnants of former Akanax which survived on Toril. The city of Pandrick is led by King Zeareus, who as a solid follower of Assuran of the Three Thunders, has a hatred for Ramman, and a particular hatred for elves. Unfortunately for Pandrick, the returned Akanax has slightly more population, and a zealotry which fires them as well. At some point, these two city states will come to odds, as many Chessentan cities do, and one wonders what will be the end result.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

By the way, my version of "Returned Chessenta" does a lot of THAT, for instance, from the SCAG we have somehow or other that Tchazzar still survives and he's in his capital city of Erebos. To note Erebos is very close to where Cimbar was (the FORMER capital that Tchazzar ruled from). So, what do I stick in "Returned Cimbar".... well dragonborn of course, and ones that were previously ruled over by a dragon overlord. The dragonborn of Tymanchebar helped them free themselves, and they fled to a city that the Chessentans fled FROM while in Abeir because of Shyr. The city also drew in some refugee genasi.

I hadn't developed much more than that, but it MIGHT be interesting if this city survived because someone accepted the avatar of some god which had "disappeared" following the spellplague (if only for a short time). I wouldn't want it to be a dragonborn. The genasi could very well accept a master since they're somewhat used to primordials. The question is which god. My initial thought is actually Talos, but he's evil. Another idea is Ramman again, but then that might feel a little overdone. Maybe Lathander? He was a popular god of Chessenta.... and likely there would be a temple of his in Cimbar.

With a Crinti leadership, your version of Akanax is hardly different from Luthcheq. I see why the king of Pandrick wouldn't like them.

The thing with dragonborn is that they don't like dragons (and tyrants, in general), and they like slavers even less. That's why they had problems with the genasi in Abeir (as the genasi are slavers as well -- the ones in Akanûl are an exception). I can see them living at odds with the Akanaxians and the genasi at best, being a constant source of internecine unrest at worst (trying to topple the slavery system and such...); and fleeing en masse to Tymanther as soon as they learned about Tchazzar.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  20:25:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't take race to mean character. Crintri is dark elf/wood elf/human mixture. I'm basically doing an idea in which 3 Crintri princesses were sent out to gather herds in the Shaar (with their aides de camp). One who gets the most horses gets mom's favor. Spellplague strikes. They and their fellow Crintri and humans can't get home. They know of an ancient abandoned city (Peleverai), so they go there. Lots of other refugees show up. Over the next hundred years, the three Crintri princesses diverge on their views of the world. One is a warrior at heart, but also starts to realize "we're not exactly all that"... she falls in love with a human, etc... starts to redeem herself... becomes a leader for wood elves, dark elves, half elves, humans, centaurs, wemics, hybsil, etc....

Second one... you won't like her.... SHE starts worshipping a cat hunter goddess that people thought was dead down in Zakhara, but was still alive in Katashaka... the goddess is Kiga the Predator. Essentially, take Malar and turn him female and more conniving. What happens? She returns to Toril to find out that her homeland has been conquered by... Malar worshippers. She wants to return home, and she wants to seize power, she wants to shut down the priesthood of Malar and put Kiga the Predator as the main goddess, and she wants to kick out the male dominated leadership back home that killed her mom.

Third Crintri Princess.... mage at heart. Could care less about going home or going to Chessenta. She likes the city of Peleverai. She likes its cosmopolitan nature. She likes restoring the underground city with all its stonework beauty and access to the underdark. She likes its magic. She wants to see it grow great. Now if only these damned Imaskari that fled High Imaskar and moved into her dwelling areas in the cavernous city wouldn't keep butting in.

On the genasi, bear in mind where Cimbar is and where Airspur is. The two cities are REALLY close, so the same ones that chose freedom once they hit Toril would be around the same community. Essentially, this "Returned Cimbar" could reach out to Akanul for aid and expect it. The more I think on it, if one of the Genasi (picturing a Fire Genasi) willing offered to serve as the fleshly avatar of Lathander in order to protect his people and get them to safety.... they could start over (have a "new beginning" if you catch the Lathander link there) in Cimbar on Abeir. Then the city returns (portions of it mind you, just as portions of it stayed in Toril. Perhaps some of the humans of Erebos are drawn to the idea of returning to Cimbar and not serving Tchazzar.

I'm not picturing any kind of alliance between this version of Cimbar and the similar version of Akanax. Essentially they'd become "Chessentan" city states, but unlike in previous editions, there is a decided difference between the cities in terms of races, outlooks, etc.. more than just "Cimbar is the enlightened folks and Akanax is the brutes".

I had originally had some ideas for Soorenar to returning, but they revolved heavily around the idea that Velsharoon's Tower Terrible would remain there in Soorenar, and it occurred to me relatively recently that a god can move a simple tower if he wants to, so I had it get transplanted magically to Peleverai. I'm not quite sure WHAT to do with it, but something should be done besides "hey we covered this city in water".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2020 :  21:33:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, on the Crintri Princess that becomes "Inanna"'s avatar, the idea is that starting out, the Crintri is aware of a heresy of Loviatar (the main goddess of the Crintri people in Dambrath and the religion she was raised in) having ONCE been Inanna long ago. The god that approaches her knows that this woman has a reverence for Loviatar in that "its the religion I've been told I must adhere to". So, when "Loviatar" disappears and "Inanna" shows up asking if she can share her body to protect their people, she agrees. My true intent with all of this is that the goddess was actually another war goddess, Sifya, and she and her husband, Thoros, used the ideas of the two war gods Inanna and Ramman to get worshippers. Thus, this version of Inanna would be first and foremost a war goddess, but also a "ruler" goddess as well, and she also has some love aspects in that she has love for Ramman/Thoros. Obviously, Sifya and Thoros are meant to be the gods Sif (red war goddess of skill in battle) and Thor (rain/thunder god who some also felt was a war god). The heresies that revovlve around this pair will be enormous (some people think she's the red knight, some think she's Eilistraee, some people think he's Talos or Anhur or even Assuran, etc....). Either way, the city itself stresses improving military skill, skill at arms, skill as an archer, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's why I said "Crinti leadership". The Crinti have a bad reputation, there's a reason the Dambrathi toppled their reign. For those that know of it, it's hard to believe that any Crinti can change. Of course, they can (though, I don't know any character in-canon that is a good Crinti).

Now, if people is aware of the schism of the sisters, then things become more realistic. The thing is, if this Crinti priestess is still following the ways of her people, or of the Mulan (racial supremacists, slavers, etc), then I can't see how one would equal her with a goddess of freedom. Perhaps a war goddess or something, but not someone like Eilistraee, that also rejects the drow ways.

They will not have dragonborn allies if they don't change those ways, tho. Dragonborn tend to be a rebellious lot.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2020 :  00:53:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, that's why I said "Crinti leadership". The Crinti have a bad reputation, there's a reason the Dambrathi toppled their reign. For those that know of it, it's hard to believe that any Crinti can change. Of course, they can (though, I don't know any character in-canon that is a good Crinti).

Now, if people is aware of the schism of the sisters, then things become more realistic. The thing is, if this Crinti priestess is still following the ways of her people, or of the Mulan (racial supremacists, slavers, etc), then I can't see how one would equal her with a goddess of freedom. Perhaps a war goddess or something, but not someone like Eilistraee, that also rejects the drow ways.

They will not have dragonborn allies if they don't change those ways, tho. Dragonborn tend to be a rebellious lot.

Bear in mind, the idea is that noone sees everything, and sometimes you have a private face and a public face. For most of the dark elves in this situation, they are actually captured dark elves who were captured by the Crintri and turned into slaves, but then this woman comes in and offers them freedom if they'll serve her as warriors. to the dark elves, who were from a society that revered Lolth, and in which Lolth had suddenly gone silent again, then they see this woman with the powers of a goddess, who acts like a warrior, talks about love... and people say she's a "dead goddess who has come back"... these dark elves are kind of just happy to have someone offering freedom. For the wood elves, its similar in that they're suddenly in a world where not a single elven god is listening... but then they hear a rumor that Eilistraee is listening in a nearby community.

Now that they're back in Toril and ALL the gods are listening, some o these mysteries may get peeled back. Some people may feel cheated by it. Others might just be respectful of the fact that this temple helped them and don't want to get caught up on religion.... they got other worries in life.

Oh, and people are definitely aware of the schism. The one that went to Akanax basically cut ties to Peleverai (still talking, just not actively involved there). The other two, their personalities are pretty open about what they want to do. The one that wants to return home would be making the folks in Peleverai a little irritated because they don't want to have a mass exodus of a significant portion of the population.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 Aug 2020 00:57:50
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2021 :  19:06:31  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just resurrecting this stuff now that Banegeam was mentioned in other topic... but, was if the Xorvintaal was not stopped. I mean, yes, we know Brimstone's Xorvintaal was ended, but we also know that he said that this will not stop dragons to continue playing Xorvintaal. So, while his game was stopped, there can be other games active in the region. And while the dragons may have been caught as unaware as everyone with the Second Sundering and its consequences, I guess they have had enough time to adapt to the situation and using to advance their own goals. After all, one way to earn a massive amount of points in Xorvintaal is succeeding in a situation that had you in a great disadvantage. I can see dragons such as Jaxanaedegor and Alasklerbanbastos still playing. Even returned Tchazzar might be tempted to play, if he is The Tchazzar we know (as he has already played the game, and we know that for dragons this game is addictive).

If Gilgeam (or Banegeam, or whatever) becomes a nuisance, I can see the taaldaraxi targeting Unther as the next place to be obliterated/conquered, and even make it a priority in the game and the one who deals with Gilgeam can earn a massive amount of points (it happened to Tymanther during Brimstone's game, so it can happen to Unther).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2021 :  21:01:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just resurrecting this stuff now that Banegeam was mentioned in other topic... but, was if the Xorvintaal was not stopped. I mean, yes, we know Brimstone's Xorvintaal was ended, but we also know that he said that this will not stop dragons to continue playing Xorvintaal. So, while his game was stopped, there can be other games active in the region. And while the dragons may have been caught as unaware as everyone with the Second Sundering and its consequences, I guess they have had enough time to adapt to the situation and using to advance their own goals. After all, one way to earn a massive amount of points in Xorvintaal is succeeding in a situation that had you in a great disadvantage. I can see dragons such as Jaxanaedegor and Alasklerbanbastos still playing. Even returned Tchazzar might be tempted to play, if he is The Tchazzar we know (as he has already played the game, and we know that for dragons this game is addictive).

If Gilgeam (or Banegeam, or whatever) becomes a nuisance, I can see the taaldaraxi targeting Unther as the next place to be obliterated/conquered, and even make it a priority in the game and the one who deals with Gilgeam can earn a massive amount of points (it happened to Tymanther during Brimstone's game, so it can happen to Unther).

Interesting idea... another dragon to throw into this mix... the Millenium dragon in Unther (who in theory may now be returning from abeir). He was a dragon ascendant, so on the verge of godhood. He also didn't like Gilgeam and "knew a secret that a Banespear could be used to destroy him".

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2021 :  01:27:13  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't this Millennium dragon a wizard or some sort of spellcaster? I don't think he will play Xorvintaal if he was a caster, as one the rules of Xorvintaal is that dragons must lose their ability to cast spells (but not spell-like abilities) in order to play The Game. The gain other goodies in exchange, but these abilities are specific to play the game (like being able to speak telepathically with other players, or with your minions, etc.). And also, if he has never played The Game, he must be wary of it for the "addictive component" I mentioned before. In the novels, the metallic dragons who played it, did it because of a geas spell Brimstone had casted. But once Medrash used Bahamut's power to release them from the spell, they all wanted to never play Xorvintaal again for fear of becoming addicts.

So, I guess Mille will be acting against Gilgeam but from other sides. I wonder how he feel about the dragonborn, tho. I remember some dragons were a bit mad that the dragonborn had taken Unther and renamed it, and wanted to conquer Tymanther to create a new Unther (chief among them, Skutosiin).

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 01 Sep 2021 01:28:41
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2021 :  17:59:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Zero, I posted this in another topic, but since I know you like dragonborn a lot, I thought you might just like looking at the image. Its something that me and Seethyr had talked about creating for Anchorome/Maztica, and he added a subrace option (that being said, I think his build is fine, but I may redesign it to be something more in line with the mirage dragon... less just a breath weapon and resistance thing). I know its not amazing or anything, but I really like the option of making some dragonborn that just have a bit more of a unique look (even if you can create this same look by wearing a headdress).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5102441
Plumed Dragonborn by (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5102441) sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Plumed Dragonborn

These dragonborn are believed by some to be descended from the feathered dragons of the lands of faerie known as mirage dragons, whereas others believe them to be dragonborn who have come to worship couatl deities such as Quetzalcoatl or Kukulkan. They are most commonly found in forests, jungles, or swampy regions, where their typically green scales help them blend in well. The one thing that truly stands out for them however is the frill of plumage that surrounds their head, and these feahers come in a variety of colors ranging from orange, red, pink, purple, black, and even cobalt blue. Their chests and palms are typically a tanned coloration, resembling the underside of many snakes and the mirage dragon. It is thought by some that they have a rather odd breath weapon, rather than the typical exhalation of elemental energy. Some say it can have a bewildering effect on the mind. Others have noted that these dragonborn, like many, have a penchant to produce sorcerers amongst their ranks, and that these sorcerers tend to gravitate towards the powers of illusion and enchantment for their spells.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2021 :  18:43:50  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I'm going to give it a look.

Now that you've revived this topic, and after reading Fizban's, I cannot help but think that the Tchazzar that appeared in Erebos (per the SCAG) may be an avatar or Tiamat... Or even a Tchazzar summoned from another world?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2021 :  23:24:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks. I'm going to give it a look.

Now that you've revived this topic, and after reading Fizban's, I cannot help but think that the Tchazzar that appeared in Erebos (per the SCAG) may be an avatar or Tiamat... Or even a Tchazzar summoned from another world?

I wouldn't be surprised if it were an avatar of Tiamat, but I don't believe Tchazzar exists in any other crystal sphere.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2021 :  01:00:28  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the new Fizban's book, echoes of every dragon exists in all worlds of the Material Plane. These echoes are basically parallel worlds' versions of any individual dragon. So, yeah, this is new lore (and technically a retcon), but there is a parallel world version of Tchazzar and every other "unique" dragon of the Realms, while an echo of all the unique dragons of other settings also live in the Realms (like there is - or was - a version of Ashardalon in the Realms, for instance).

Now, the possibilities! What if the Tchazzar in Erebos is the one who lived on Abeir, lol.

Also, I really loved your feathered dragonborn. Maybe they are common in Returned Maztica now.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 08 Nov 2021 01:03:58
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2021 :  22:26:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to the new Fizban's book, echoes of every dragon exists in all worlds of the Material Plane.

"Fizban" from Krynn? Trusting him in planar matters doesn't sound wise.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2021 :  22:44:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

According to the new Fizban's book, echoes of every dragon exists in all worlds of the Material Plane.

"Fizban" from Krynn? Trusting him in planar matters doesn't sound wise.

Fizban from the Sword Coast. You know, the only D&D setting of 5e.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2021 :  12:12:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to the new Fizban's book, echoes of every dragon exists in all worlds of the Material Plane. These echoes are basically parallel worlds' versions of any individual dragon. So, yeah, this is new lore (and technically a retcon), but there is a parallel world version of Tchazzar and every other "unique" dragon of the Realms, while an echo of all the unique dragons of other settings also live in the Realms (like there is - or was - a version of Ashardalon in the Realms, for instance).

Now, the possibilities! What if the Tchazzar in Erebos is the one who lived on Abeir, lol.

Also, I really loved your feathered dragonborn. Maybe they are common in Returned Maztica now.

Yeah, that's where I was originally thinking of going with it when I started talking about Plumed Dragonborn a couple years back. It was Seethyr though (I think) that told me about the mirage dragon from 5e. Between that, couatls, and my own creation of Lopango winged firecobras (i.e. couatl of a different flavor, personality, etc...), I figure the idea of feathered dragonborn there would be good. Some might take to the worship of Qotal just to break from the idea of so much revolving around Tiamat and Bahamut.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2021 :  02:52:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was searching for ideas and found this beautiful map of the Old Empires circa 1489 DR. I had to share it here, as well:

http://www.galacticcactus.net/dd/a-map-of-the-old-empires-for-the-5e-forgotten-realms/#more-88

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2021 :  18:53:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was searching for ideas and found this beautiful map of the Old Empires circa 1489 DR. I had to share it here, as well:

http://www.galacticcactus.net/dd/a-map-of-the-old-empires-for-the-5e-forgotten-realms/#more-88

no workie

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2021 :  00:46:48  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems the site is off-line. Luckily for me, I downloaded the map, so here we are. The backup:

https://imgur.com/4cNQp5z

After having studied the map a bit, seems this has some "non-canon" places, such as Djerad Ternhesh and Djerad Aurix, that are from "Supplemental Empires" (an DMs Guild product). And it lacks Ithimir Isle near Akanûl. But overall, its good to work with.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 24 Nov 2021 00:48:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2021 :  15:30:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still, its not bad. I note its missing some other things too, and I'd probably want to add things. Now that I've had more time to play with campaign cartographer 3+, and realizing that I can import the maps from the FR interactive atlas to play with for a base shape that I can mess with more... I may have to try a newer, better map for this region at some point that incorporates tymanther, akanul, etc.... plus 3e adds, homebrew changes, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2021 :  00:23:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also wanted to update my old map using this one as a reference.

What things do yo think were left out? IIRC, they left some stff out because they were small places, mostly irrelevant to be depicted on a map, or those that are "unknown" or just legends (they mentioned specifically Arush Vayem and the City of the Werecrocodiles).

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2021 :  15:50:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I also wanted to update my old map using this one as a reference.

What things do yo think were left out? IIRC, they left some stff out because they were small places, mostly irrelevant to be depicted on a map, or those that are "unknown" or just legends (they mentioned specifically Arush Vayem and the City of the Werecrocodiles).

Hmmm, actually I thought Akanax was missing, but I see it there now, as well as Cimbar and Soorenar. The main things I see missing are things I'd add in the shaar (such as the city of Peleveran). But yeah, this one has a lot of additions that I don't recognize in Tymanther. It also appears to be missing the river Shaar, but that may be because they're steering more towards 2e than 3e (I actually like the river shaar coming in up higher like in 3d and putting Peleveran where the river exits out of the Landrise in like a canyon caused by the river over time... the canyon might only inset the landrise a couple miles (say 2 to 5), which would be why you don't see it on a map). It's missing the shaarwood. Some things seem just a little off as well, such as Relkath's Foot in Aglarond... but honestly that doesn't affect a whole lot. But that's why I'd like to try and take the original from the FRIA and adapt from it. Then again, I haven't even looked (its installed on my other PC right now, and its turned off), but it may be butt ugly since that was from the 90's and graphics have improved so much.

To note, the city of Arush Vayem and Dalath are relatively near one another. Dalath is the city of the Millenium Dragon (an over 3 thousand year old blue dragon from the original draconomicon from 1st or 2nd edition whose bone are fragile and who is on the dragon ascendant path). the Millenium dragon does NOT seem to like Gilgeam btw.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000