Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep: Fire the Canons - Gencon Seminar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  03:10:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The second Candlekeep virtual seminar is up for registration. Come one, come all to hear from mighty loremasters of the Realms. And me.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  03:37:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had no idea there was going to be more than one event! I am in!

Also, I love that name. Inspired, just inspired.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  03:53:07  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope there will be extensive and exhaustive education on the subjects of theological (and by extension, literary) canon, artillery cannon and the very clear and manifold differences between these.

It hurts my brain like the screeching made by scratching nails across chalkboard to see people write 'cannon' in place of canon.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  04:29:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

It hurts my brain like the screeching made by scratching nails across chalkboard to see people write 'cannon' in place of canon.

Particularly when it's the rouge that does it.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  04:53:48  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in!

But, umm, George, you have any insight as to how many of these Candlekeep sessions there are gonna be? If there are more, can we have 'em declared a hamster ball free zone? I'm just askin'. For a friend.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  05:08:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

You gotta do, what you gotta do to get that horde of treasure.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  05:10:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I'm in!

But, umm, George, you have any insight as to how many of these Candlekeep sessions there are gonna be? If there are more, can we have 'em declared a hamster ball free zone? I'm just askin'. For a friend.

Through the graces of Brian Cortijo and Jeff Thetford, these are the two I'm aware of and participating in. Don't think there will be any more, but you never know.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  05:24:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  07:54:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  08:27:39  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the actual name of the seminar? I cannot find anything with "fire the canons". I could only find one Candlekeep Presents - the Nine.

Help! (please of course
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  10:43:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just do a "Candlekeep" search, but to make it easier on you it's on Friday night at 9 pm.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  11:35:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm attending and will be taking lots of notes.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  15:34:34  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I'm attending and will be taking lots of notes.

That brings up a good point. Will these be recorded and copies made available later?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  05:56:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That question is way outside my tech paygrade. Maybe is the likely response at this stage. One of the seminars is on Zoom and the other on Twitch. I believe both have recording capability.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  14:28:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait Twitch? I didn't realize we were upping the technology savvy required.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2020 :  23:33:33  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Just do a "Candlekeep" search, but to make it easier on you it's on Friday night at 9 pm.

-- George Krashos

Thanks George, originally I did use Candlekeep as a search option and the new seminar didnt appear. Browser issue - the new seminar came through fine this morning.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  00:43:36  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would never go. EVER!! Unless I can roll dice on a table I'd rather not get involved.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  01:20:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

I would never go. EVER!! Unless I can roll dice on a table I'd rather not get involved.

Relax CEV, it's a seminar.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  04:38:47  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would hope they would have a table with a DM ready to play an epic game. Characters below 18'th level are post pasee to me and any of my gaming group I may bring. Although we all have lesser PC's to boot.

When I play Curudin Ahmaquissar, I think.... bring me all the hells you have! The Abyss is like Skullport to me... quick and easy. I've seen Phaerimm rise and fall. I've seen Daemonfey rise and fall. What's next? I'm ready, solo if I have to. I was there when the Coronal defended Myth Drannor against the Shadovar. I was there when the city fell.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  04:53:35  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whatever... just being queer. A seminar of what? Maps and grids and engineering?

Why not a seminar of proposed ways to collectively write the next realms novel?

An average book of 300 pages is available from Wasteland Press for $500.00. And they edit for you with your help unlike some publishing companies. I have already published 2 books of ludicrous poetry, and my wife has written 2 novellas under Wasteland Press.com

Why can't this seminar pool in together and write the next FR novel? Maps are boring unless you're a Topographer. lol.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  05:02:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Whatever... just being queer. A seminar of what? Maps and grids and engineering?

Why not a seminar of proposed ways to collectively write the next realms novel?

An average book of 300 pages is available from Wasteland Press for $500.00. And they edit for you with your help unlike some publishing companies. I have already published 2 books of ludicrous poetry, and my wife has written 2 novellas under Wasteland Press.com

Why can't this seminar pool in together and write the next FR novel? Maps are boring unless you're a Topographer. lol.

Because it could only be published with WotC's approval and they're not going to do it.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  22:22:26  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there still time to sign up? I kind of peaked at the schedule, but most of it looked like games, and I admittedly don't have much experience playing. However, I would be interested in a lore seminar.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  00:35:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Is there still time to sign up? I kind of peaked at the schedule, but most of it looked like games, and I admittedly don't have much experience playing. However, I would be interested in a lore seminar.

Go here:https://www.gencon.com

Register if you haven't already and then do an event search for "Candlekeep". This seminar (Friday night Indianapolis time) is over Zoom (so you'll need that platform) and the other seminar (Saturday night Indianapolis time) will be on Twitch (so you'll need that platform as well). The event entries on the Gen Con site tell you how many tickets are left.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2020 :  02:28:28  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance these will be recorded?

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2020 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Wait Twitch? I didn't realize we were upping the technology savvy required.
Not to worry, Eric. You won't have to be on Twitch for either one.

Details to follow.

For everyone still having trouble finding the Fire the Canon! workshop, it's at https://www.gencon.com/events/188928 . You will need a (free) Gen Con badge in order to sign up, and for this event, you must be registered to attend.
Go to Top of Page

Thuumhammer
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  02:03:39  Show Profile Send Thuumhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ID wasn't working for me, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. I hope there's a recording of the event up for us all to watch after.

Currently living in a version of 1372DR that operates under 5e mechanics. Strange indeed!

Edited by - Thuumhammer on 25 Jul 2020 02:22:47
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  02:38:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I signed up, along with three friends of mine. All of us are bringing our mid-level PC's to game with. I'm excited! When joining the Lore seminars I will ask a thousand Ahmaquissar questions indeed.

To play I'm bringing Trysiifith Oumryn: CN Gold elf male of Narbeth, (Shalhoond). CR 25; Rogue 5/ Cleric 5/ Fortune's Friend 5/ Sacred Fist 10 of Erevan Ilesere. Co-founder and Guildmaster of the Daggerford Rogues of the Laughing Midnight. Exiled King of The Great Wild Wood in the extreme edge of eastern Faerūn. "The Mongoose Prince" of Court Oumryn. Master of Fist, Foot, Elbow, Knee and Spell.

I also have a 4ED and 5ED version of this PC to make sure I get into a game. lol.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  03:44:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, this is a seminar about reconciling differences in lore. No gaming will be involved.

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  04:17:28  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Um, this is a seminar about reconciling differences in lore. No gaming will be involved.

Okay. If you say so. Maybe we will all game and leave you out. lol.

And BTW... FR lore is jaded and worse than a rough trick named Jim. lol.

Lore is resplendent among the realms in general. Deities die and are resurrected on a yearly basis. The designers cannot seem to get their lore straight. Evermeet; Island of Elves pretty much declared how the different sub-races of elves and gnomes and dwarves entered Faerun over -30,000 years ago. That lore is to the tooth. But designers have found a way to incorporate new history amongst the ancient history with every new edition of D&D.

So yes, let's bring the lore. I for one will bore you with ancient elven kingdoms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2020 :  13:10:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has there been any further communication on this? I've not seen any invites or meeting links or anything, and I want to make sure I've not missed an email.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2020 :  14:28:32  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't received any new emails from GenCon. I did find this on the website that may help:

https://www.gencon.com/gen-con-online/events-how-to

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000