Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is troll blood a highly flammable material
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  13:32:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, an odd idea occurred to me. Yeah, we all know, when you're done with a troll, set them on fire. However, unlike if you're burning say a human at a pole, you don't need a ton of firewood in most games I've seen (i.e. you don't have to run around an use a flask of oil per troll, etc...). So, given that theory (and some may dispute it and say they always require a flask of oil), would it be possible to assume that … maybe troll blood is flammable like lantern oil? Yes, I am asking because of a very sick and twisted idea like "a troll claw lantern" that drips troll blood down where the wick is, or other weird ideas.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  14:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Preventing troll regeneration seems not to require burning their flesh to ash, merely searing it slightly.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  15:29:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Troll blood is not highly flammable. Using blood as a fuel will not work.

As far as burning to prevent regeneration, a troll only dies when hit points equal zero, if a troll still has one hit point left it can do normal healing from the burns. Much slower then regeneration however still alive.

Edit: Bloody editor, had edit errors. I should fire, just hard to self fire.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 18 Jul 2020 19:52:30
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  19:38:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall any mention of troll flesh or troll blood being especially flammable.

Burning troll flesh with fire, cold, or acid simply destroy the living cells fast enough to prevent them from regenerating before the troll dies.

I suppose you could liquefy a troll, grind it into juice between slabs of stone or in a mechanical blender, then pour it into a river, kill it with earth and water.

But poking the troll with a burning torch seems quicker and easier.

Trolls are not immortal. Troll regeneration is potent but they can't come back from massive fatal damage. Too many adversarial DMs and Wolverine comic books have elevated an impressive regeneration ability to utterly ridiculous extremes.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Jul 2020 19:46:26
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  19:53:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trolls do die of old age as well. *Grin*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  15:31:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotcha, so people's ideas of a troll's burned remains COULD in theory result in someone taking a singed thigh or heart and actually cooking it and eating it. Now, I'm not saying that anyone like a human/elf/dwarf would do that, but a goblinoid/orc/ogre might actually see it as "taking on the strength of a troll". I can't say as I ever really thought about the topic much until this, other than at one point wondering about "troll gut rope".

That being said, is there any uses for capturing a troll and NOT killing it, but rather maybe feeding it captured goblins or giant rats and harvesting "stuff" from it. For instance, might troll blood be useful in some brew for healing or regeneration (hell, might we find out that a component of wychlaran firewine is troll blood... thinking no, but...). Along similar veins, do people see trolls regenerating everything? I mean, if I chop off its leg at the knee, and use the calf bone in a wand, do you see the lower leg regenerating completely (I do believe that stories of this lean toward this being possible)? Just how much do various different DM's view troll regeneration.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  16:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Troll blood is useful for potions, yes, so keeping troll slaves for magical components is probably fairly common among drow and similar folk.

And, yes, trolls regrow limbs.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  16:55:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was one tale about troll fun game was to rip off the head of another one. Then watch while it took a while for the troll head to regenerate. Trolls are hard to kill because they can grow back anything.

The only thing that has been ruled out is that you can not get two trolls from one by regeneration. In example of head ripped off, the head does not regenerate a body. The body regenerates the head. The best interpretation is biggest part regenerates.

So clearly ripped off limbs can be eaten, used for spell components and so on.

As far as it goes Troll slaves can make some fairly good guards as well as just used for body parts.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  18:02:56  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about gladiatorial training and games? They could hack it to bits in the arena and, given time, reused for the same thing later. It could also be used to feed other monsters. Hang it in chains above the monster and then lower it at feeding time. The monster eats half the troll then you pull it back up to let it regen and then do it again. Either of these seem cruel to me (especially the feeding part) but then I have never had a relative eaten by a troll (that I know of, anyway).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  19:22:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trolls are famously stupid, ugly, hostile, and repulsive creatures.

Few monsters would willingly eat troll flesh. Few humanoids would want to keep trolls around.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  20:19:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Few monsters would willingly eat troll flesh. Few humanoids would want to keep trolls around.

Int 6 3.5 SRD so not that stupid, not smart either. As there are baby trolls about not all think ugly unless all are a result of hostile action. As far as always hostile, they do have clans or at least families that do act as teams. There still is the story of game of head ripping off, so indeed might be mostly hostile *Wink*

As for humanoids keeping captive, I do agree. Some would make deals for guarding, some would capture for use, most likely kill or flee them.

As far as eating flesh, that can happen as well. No other food, most will eat anything. The other side of it a good cook can by boiling, frying or spicing make some rather unpleasant meats tasteful or even a specialty.

Also for food a spell like purify might be used on the flesh. Certain pets might not be as selective as well as to troll meat.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  21:37:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Int 6 3.5 SRD so not that stupid, not smart either. As there are baby trolls about not all think ugly unless all are a result of hostile action. As far as always hostile, they do have clans or at least families that do act as teams. There still is the story of game of head ripping off, so indeed might be mostly hostile *Wink*

As for humanoids keeping captive, I do agree. Some would make deals for guarding, some would capture for use, most likely kill or flee them.

As far as eating flesh, that can happen as well. No other food, most will eat anything. The other side of it a good cook can by boiling, frying or spicing make some rather unpleasant meats tasteful or even a specialty.

Also for food a spell like purify might be used on the flesh. Certain pets might not be as selective as well as to troll meat.

Just to note, owls LOVE to eat skunk, because owls have a notorious lack of smell. I could see someone who has a stable of giant owls possibly feeding them on trolls. That being said, I don't hold that trolls regenerate from nothing, and thus you'd have to feed them something. It may be the rotting stuff that's going bad from the kitchen mind you, so I can't see keeping LOTS of trolls for this purpose. But, if you had one, fed it your trash, and lopped off a limb periodically to feed your giant owl pets, I could buy that.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000