Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 France
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  11:03:16  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Obviously Faerun is not Europe, but is there an area that you could compare to France/French culture?

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  11:39:21  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, it's Amn.

Belay that. Check out this link,
https://www.reddit.com/r/Forgotten_Realms/comments/3883xb/real_world_equivalents_to_forgotten_realm/

Edited by - ElfBane on 14 Jul 2020 11:46:49
Go to Top of Page

gregc
Acolyte

Canada
22 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  12:11:07  Show Profile Send gregc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Super cool thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  15:27:22  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't really a 100% analogue of France, but there are few countries that have some similarities.:
- Cormyr has some elements of Frankish and Carolingian Empire, Medieval France and England.
- Tethyr has some elements of the Kingdom of Franks, most notably the first king of Tethyr was Darrom Ithal, son of Clovis Ithal II (with Clovis actually uniting Tethyrian clans, and Darrom becoming king after Clovis fallen in battle), and in real life Clovis the First was the first king of the Franks to unite all of the Frankish tribes under one ruler. Tethyr also having though also elements similar to Spain, Al-Andalus, and Reconquista, other Spanish kingdoms from the time of Al-Andalus, like the Kingdom of Asturias

Amn itself has some similarities to France, but t has arguably greater similarities to Renaissance Spain, the Low Countries and the Republic of Venice.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  15:41:21  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also put Raven's Bluff in there, at least as written in polyhedron way back.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  16:19:00  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, by extrapolating that, Iriaebor's buildings would be a mixture of gothic Netherese, roman Amnite, moorish Tethyrian, and germanic Talfiran (I would argue, based on their location to the other societies and the fact that they started as a forest dwelling society that they would parallel with the germanic tribes and thus have a blocky, utilitarian design)?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  18:13:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

There isn't really a 100% analogue of France, but there are few countries that have some similarities.:
- Cormyr has some elements of Frankish and Carolingian Empire, Medieval France and England.
- Tethyr has some elements of the Kingdom of Franks, most notably the first king of Tethyr was Darrom Ithal, son of Clovis Ithal II (with Clovis actually uniting Tethyrian clans, and Darrom becoming king after Clovis fallen in battle), and in real life Clovis the First was the first king of the Franks to unite all of the Frankish tribes under one ruler. Tethyr also having though also elements similar to Spain, Al-Andalus, and Reconquista, other Spanish kingdoms from the time of Al-Andalus, like the Kingdom of Asturias

Amn itself has some similarities to France, but t has arguably greater similarities to Renaissance Spain, the Low Countries and the Republic of Venice.

I've heard too that Tethyr chops potatoes into thick "sticks" and fries them in grease until crispy and then sprinkles them with salt. After the discovery of Maztica, it became a favored treat to eat them dipped in Ketjap made from Ulgarthian Mingari and a fruit from Maztica.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  18:20:22  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the Talfir are presented as sorta Celtic, but indeed also had some Germanic (even arguably Norde-eish) elements (ie they had written down/passed "Talfirian Eddas" mentioned in multiple sources).
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  18:33:59  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I've heard too that Tethyr chops potatoes into thick "sticks" and fries them in grease until crispy and then sprinkles them with salt. After the discovery of Maztica, it became a favored treat to eat them dipped in Ketjap made from Ulgarthian Mingari and a fruit from Maztica.

sleyvas, I wonder, are you serious or joking here...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  18:55:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Most definitely joking.... but it could be true... ketjap exists and is made from Maztican fruits and mingari from Ulgarth, potatoes exist.... I couldn't think of a name to go with them that might be alliterative like French Fries.... Tethyrian Torchtaters maybe

The key to me.... "I've heard to that..." = equals I'm probably making that sh*t up. That's what I learned in Nimbraii summer camp while training to be a knight of the flying hunt. BTW, on that subject, on the off chance that your pegasi mount is a werepegasi knight in service to the flying hunt, if your standing behind it in kicking range, its best not to refer to it as "my winged nag".

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Jul 2020 18:59:17
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  20:27:07  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Most definitely joking.... but it could be true... ketjap exists and is made from Maztican fruits and mingari from Ulgarth, potatoes exist.... I couldn't think of a name to go with them that might be alliterative like French Fries.... Tethyrian Torchtaters maybe

The key to me.... "I've heard to that..." = equals I'm probably making that sh*t up. That's what I learned in Nimbraii summer camp while training to be a knight of the flying hunt. BTW, on that subject, on the off chance that your pegasi mount is a werepegasi knight in service to the flying hunt, if your standing behind it in kicking range, its best not to refer to it as "my winged nag".

Also, don't let 'em eat goblinberries. Those are typically poisonous but they are able to "tolerate" them. They just get gas and explosive diarrhea. Typically, a flying creature won't leave a trail on the ground but they will in this case.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  23:46:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr and Sembia seemed, to me, like rough general analogues of England and France. In the 1E and 2E and early-3E eras, anyhow.

Amn always struck me as more resembling a generic Iberia/Spain/Portugal/Italy. Especially after Maztica was released.

But I agree with above - various parts of the Realms were clearly inspired by real-world counterpart cultures, but it was never really meant to actually duplicate any of them.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2020 :  00:37:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

quote:

quote:

Also, don't let 'em eat goblinberries. Those are typically poisonous but they are able to "tolerate" them. They just get gas and explosive diarrhea. Typically, a flying creature won't leave a trail on the ground but they will in this case.

And don't stand BEHIND one of them if you do feed them goblinberries…. Note, this same precaution applies to faerie dragons, though only in the case of getting gas, but in their instance, don't even let them see goblin berries. They like the flavor and find what happens to those behind them funny. Of course, if you're familiar with a faerie dragon's normal breath weapon, you'll get why.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 Jul 2020 00:40:42
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2020 :  18:43:53  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gregc

Obviously Faerun is not Europe, but is there an area that you could compare to France/French culture?

Well, culture is not static and it's a very elastic term, including an extremely wide variety of things. So, it would help if you could narrow down what exactly 'France' or 'French culture' mean to you?

By which I mean, which elements which are/were present somewhere within the geographic area of today's France at some point in history are you looking for?

Because it is very unlikely that any place in Faerun will be exactly like any place in France at any point in time, but it's likely enough that exactly what you are looking for might be found in some part of Faerun.

Are you wondering about the most appropriate sarea to set campaigns with themes from French literature? Or peoples in Faerun with a self-image similar to that of one or more peoples who've thought of themselves as 'French' at some point in history?

Are you thinking about elements from Provencal poetry and literature, courtly love, troubadours, chivalric knights and the like?

Or were you thinking about religious conflict, skullduggery, cardinals, musketeers, duels and crowded cities both sophisticated and sordid at the same time, akin to literary portrayals of 16th and 17th century France?

Did you perhaps not care about such thematic elements, but simply mean a place where the manners, music, hobbies or cuisine might be similar to France at some point in history?

Or something else?

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2020 :  01:55:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
France and England were essentially Celtic folks reshaped by different degrees of historical invasion. England was more Germanic (and Pagan), France was more Romanized (and Christian). And, over time, the "cultures" of the two nations/peoples sort of blurred and overlapped in more ways than they differed.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2020 :  15:16:57  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

France and England were essentially Celtic folks reshaped by different degrees of historical invasion. England was more Germanic (and Pagan), France was more Romanized (and Christian). And, over time, the "cultures" of the two nations/peoples sort of blurred and overlapped in more ways than they differed.

Actually, France was - or Romano-Gauls - were also "Germanized" to a degree by Franks (hence the name France), who integrated with them, giving rise to the French nationality.

England is also complicated, as English are a mix of various ethno-linguistic groups (Pre-Celts, Celtic Britons, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Norse and Normans). It was though English were primarily "Germanic" from descent, but genetic research revealed a very large amount, even in majority descended from Celtic Britons and Pre-Celtic inhabitants of Britain. As well other peoples of the British isles also having a Germanic admixture.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000