Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Descriptions of Avernus
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Budapest
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  16:07:46  Show Profile Send Budapest a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I’m running Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The PCs will be leaving Elturel soon and descending to the surface. While I feel very comfortable describing fantasy cities on the fly, I’m struggling with evocative descriptions of The First Layer of Hell. I’ve read Erin Evans books and loved her detailed descriptions of Malbolge. She is able to make Malbolge so unique and interesting. What are good sources for such descriptions of Avernus? Thank you so much.

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  17:29:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at Ed's 9 hells articles in Dragon Mag.
Go to Top of Page

Budapest
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  19:53:04  Show Profile Send Budapest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you The Masked Mage. I just skimmed #75 and #76. In addition to the paragraph describing the landscape, there are lots of cool unique devils to encounter in Avernus. Is this the first time Glasya Princess of Hell makes print? I will be mining these articles for material.

I'm still looking for more descriptions. Is there any other sources where a humanoid of the prime material plane discusses what they see/smell/taste/ect. on Avernus? Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  20:18:49  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the long lines at the DMV (Department of Morality Violations). That is were devils get assigned a mortal to corrupt. Oh, and the TSA (Trans-Space Arbiters). Those guys decide if a devil is going to be able to use one of the gates that allow devils to travel to the Prime Material Plane.

This seems to have quite a bit of information: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Guide_to_Hell

Edit: Added link.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 13 Jul 2020 20:43:02
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  21:47:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Budapest

Thank you The Masked Mage. I just skimmed #75 and #76. In addition to the paragraph describing the landscape, there are lots of cool unique devils to encounter in Avernus. Is this the first time Glasya Princess of Hell makes print? I will be mining these articles for material.

I'm still looking for more descriptions. Is there any other sources where a humanoid of the prime material plane discusses what they see/smell/taste/ect. on Avernus? Thank you.

Ed has another one in Dragon - Nine Hells revisited in 91

The only thing before that I remember was Politics of Hell in Dragon 28, which has Lucifer and does not really describe the layers.

Then he wrote Elminster in Hell, which has a lot. A whole novel worth pretty much.

In 3rd Edition D&D published Tyrants of the Nine Hells
In 2nd Edition there was A Palidin in Hell, a Guide to Hell, and Planescape's Planes of Law, Hellbound: the blood war, and D20's Legions of Hell

That's all that come to mind. There really is no shortage of descriptions.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  22:25:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vaguely recall about 10 years back stumbling upon a series of pdfs called the Gates of Hell. That had a pretty good depiction of baator and is what I prefer to use when running anything hell related.

No idea if it's still available now though

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  22:34:47  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As noted, Ed's "Elminster in Hell" gives you the best idea of what it would be like. "Descent into Avernus" ... not so much.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  00:41:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2E Planescape lore. Especially Planes of Law. Baator and Avernus - their appearances, properties, inhabitants, special rules, etc - are described in great detail.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2020 :  01:45:03  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the suggestions are good.

Here is the link to Gates of Hell:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/dicefreaks/the-gates-of-hell-t22.html

T be clear though Gates of Hell is a non-canon/non-official, if very well made.
Some devils are also renamed - Zariel - Astarte; Bel - Bael (and kinda combined with the devil of the same name); Levistus - Leviathan.

Edited by - Baltas on 14 Jul 2020 01:47:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000