Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Adapting some of the items from Weapons of Legacy?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2020 :  01:06:12  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Now a number of items from this sourcebook do already have suggestions for adapting them to the Realms, but I figured a few could use some effort. In this case, I'm a bit more concerned with the lore than the gameplay hooks, but I will touch somewhat on that as well. Some of them really don't need adaptation regardless but there were a few I noticed that could use a bit of help adapting to the Realms. Here are some ideas I had.

1) Bloodcrier's Hammer (pg 29-32): This could be fitted somewhere around MANY dwarven holds. For some odd reason, I'm more thinking the Great Rift than anywhere else. As far as the "Judgement of the Scablands" ritual, I would place the desert involved likely being the Anauroch, since it does mention barbarians, which such peoples were a part of the history of the region.

2) Bones of Li-Peng (pg 33-36): Obviously somewhere in the Far East like Kara-Tur. I don't know that region that well, so somebody else would need to clue me in. Otherwise, minus the Oriental culture, a change of name and lore could make it fit with another monastery, namely either the Yellow Rose or Broken Ones who worship Ilmater.

3) Bright Evening Star (pg 40-42): Probably place it in dealing with Illefarn, Myth Drannor or another ancient Elven city.

4) Bullybasher's Gauntlets (pg 43-46): I'd argue making the origins of this item set being from Luskan or Athkatla, but any great metropolitan city could work.

5) Caladbolg (pg 47-49): I'm actually thinking the lore behind this weapon (whose name is apparently the old Celtic rendition of Excalibur, surprise suprise) would fit best in the Moonshae Isles.

6) Caput Mortuum (pg 50-52): Switch Wee Jas for Jergal and Nerull for Myrkul or (post-ToT) Velsharoon, and you've got this more or less in the hat.

7) Celdoriath's Clarion (pg 53-56): Like Bright Evening Star, this screams Elven kingdoms to me. Since it involves a living Elven monarch, I would argue Evermeet for this one.

8) Crimson Ruination (pg 61-63): I would adapt this one to deal with Cormyr and the Purple Dragon Knights, honestly. That kingdom and (most famoulsy) the late King Azoun IV dealt with Red Dragons before.

9) Desert Wind (pg 64-66): Calimport. DEFINITELY Calimport.

10) Devious and Vicious (pg 67-71): This could be almost anywhere.

11) Durindana: The lore of this weapon sounds best applied to the faithful of Lathander, so adapt all references to such accordingly.

12) Dymondheart (pg 78-79): Myth Drannor and the forest of Cormanthor would make a good setting for this, in my humble opinion.

13) Exordius (pg 80-82): Similar to Devious and Vicious.

14) Flay (pg 90-92): Since it involves Yuan-Ti, this would likely fit in or around either Hlondeth or Chult.

15) Frostburn's Wrath (pg 93-95): Since it's history involves both elves and a very cold region, I would suggest Icewind Dale for this one.

16) Full Moon's Trick (pg 96-98): Rosie Applecask would likely be a Lightfoot Halfling werewolf, and likely under the employ of a thieves' guild like the Shadow Thieves of Amn, the Night Masks or one of the guilds of Calimport. The adventure seed, involving a temple of a deity of the moon, is most likely Selûne and geographically could be the House of the Moon in Waterdeep, the Moonsilver House in Calaunt, the House of the Lady in Cormyr, or whatever major temple in a big city.

17) Hammer of Witches (pg 106-108): This is a tricky one. I would probably shape its history involving a heresy (mentioned in Power of Faerun) of Lathander, possibly even the Risen Sun Heresy or Three-Face Sun Heresy.

18) Mau-Jehe (p 114-116): Given its history with Thri-Kreen, I'd say this weapon would best fit being set in the Shining Plains and would likely involve one of the ancient cities of Assam, Lheshayl or Ormath.

19) Merikel (pg 117-119): Now THIS is the main item I was inspired to write this thread about! This one is very interesting, and here's what I had in mind for potential changes for origin of the sword itself.
a) To keep with the original lore (and name), make Merikel a fallen Solar who served one of the deities of the Triad, likely Tyr or Torm.
b) Another possibility was to actually make the greatsword the blade of Malkizid, the Solar who served Corellon Larethian until the angel betrayed the Creator of the Elves in favor of Auraushnee (who later became Lolth, chief deity of the Drow).
c) Yet another suggestion is to make it the former weapon of Zariel, fallen Solar and one of two archdevils of the first layer of Baator, Avernus.
d) Finally in a similar vein as above, the sword could be the former archon Triel, who later became the archdevil Baalzebul.

20) Quickspur's Ally (pg 129-132): Most likely set in or around either Silverymoon or Cormyr, for both the lore and the adventure seed.

21) Rod of Trimeg (pg 133-135): You could likely switch the usage of Fharlaghn and the Outlands to Shaundakul and Gates of the Moon, for one. As far as locations involved in the travels of Trimeg, use your best judgement.

22) Shishi-O (pg 141-143): Most likely Kara-Tur, where Samurai are common.

23) Skull Lash (pg 147-149): I'd say this would likely fit best among desert-dwelling descendents of Netherese Barbarians in the Anauroch, similar to what I mentioned for Bloodcrier's Hammer.

24) Staff of the Torrent Moons (pg 154-157): Kara-Tur, if keeping with the Oriental flavor of this entry. Otherwise, make the Monastery of the Twin Tides a major center of worship for Monks who worship Ishtishia, the Faerunian/Primordial god of water.

25) Steadfast (pg 160-162): Most likely center its lore around Luiren.

26) Wargird's Armor (pg 176-178): Probably center this around Ten-Towns and the Tundra Barbarians around there.

So, what do you guys think?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 18 Jul 2020 23:44:57

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2020 :  20:49:50  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Never used it, or anything from it, but I dig the concept of the book.

-From a cursory look, Moonblades and the Baneblades probably would qualify as such Legendary weapons.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2020 :  21:40:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Now a number of items from this sourcebook do already have suggestions for adapting them to the Realms, but I figured a few could use some effort. In this case, I'm a bit more concerned with the lore than the gameplay hooks, but I will touch somewhat on that as well. Some of them really don't need adaptation regardless but there were a few I noticed that could use a bit of help adapting to the Realms. Here are some ideas I had.

1) Bloodcrier's Hammer (pg 29-32): This could be fitted somewhere around MANY dwarven holds. For some odd reason, I'm more thinking the Great Rift than anywhere else. As far as the "Judgement of the Scablands" ritual, I would place the desert involved likely being the Anauroch, since it does mention barbarians, which such peoples were a part of the history of the region.

So, what do you guys think?

I think you start out good on this one, but let's take some different tack. It was in the Great Rift that the dwarf was at. However, the desert... instead of Anauroch, why not the desert of Raurin?

He defeated a being who was an "earthmagus". Well, one thing we know about the "Utter East" is that at one point there were "circle of order" and the lords of flame, tides, and lands, etc.... from the game blood and magic. We also know that in Zakhara that there were the Geomancers which were a mage priest society dedicated to Grumbar. Either could work for this.

For the barbarian who takes up the weapon later, having it be one of the ones who came through the portal at the Council Hills in the Shaar would make location sense since its near to the Great Rift. The "scablands" could definitely be the Raurin Desert, and perhaps he travelled into the desert because he was seeking to awaken the hammer at some temple to some dead god or something. I could definitely see some Illuskan coming through the portal, taking it to Ulgarth, and having some land on the edge of Raurin. Or as another alternative, you could have it be a Northman who eventually settled in Konigheim on the edge of the Haunted Lands of Zakhara (which is very near to the Kingdoms of Nog and Kadar which is where the Geomancers were from btw).

I would personally tied "the Bloodcrier's Hammer" somehow to the "Blood Forges" of Blood and Magic. Perhaps possessing the "Bloodcrier's Hammer" enables one to awaken a Bloodforge and create basal golems. It might also be worthwhile to link Bloodforges and the Geomancers of Nog and Kadar (to note, that source material is in the al-qadim supplement Ruined Kingdoms).

Some links below for some source material
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Blood_%26_Magic
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Konigheim
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Bloodforge
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Basal_golem
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Geomancy
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Nuts_and_!Bolts
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Hall_of_Wonder_(Utter_East)
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Puzzle_Palace

To note, you could fit in the class known as artificers with this item as well if it has some involvement with constructs, etc... A lot of this might involve some slight rewrites to the powers of the item, or simply some extra rituals that aren't even listed in the item itself. In the end, I think you end up with a much better story for the item if you do the latter (i.e. keeping the original lore and adding even more to it).

Perhaps down in Zakhara/Utter East artificers are more common than they are in Faerun. Some "geomancers" may have been artificers for instance rather than wizards or priests. Konigheim apparently had a "Hall of Wonder" and a "Puzzle Palace" which were near each other, so while it was a land for the northmen it was also a land of inventors apparently.

In doing some of this, the "Conclave at the Heart" could be the "Circle of Order", and the "earthmagus" that the dwarf might have been the "Lord of Lands". Thus, the "Circle of Order" kills the dwarf fearing he will awaken the blood forges. Later, a human northman barbarian finds the hammer, which to note is size large, and uses it as documented in the items description. You can tie this weapon to genies, giants in the nearby Haunted lands, artificers, bloodforges, and the geomancers all in one tidy package. It would just take a little work.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Jul 2020 23:01:35
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  00:26:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking more on the above, Tying the weapon to the undead giants in the weeping desert in the Haunted Lands somewhat near to Konigheim would fit things as well, and one might change the third ritual a bit to be something in which one must gather a drink from the well of despair in the ruins in said desert in order to open up one of the legacies of the weapon.

So, like the second thing says
Mourning Service: You are required to pay homage at the grave of Bhazad Khrar, which is lost in the center of a sighing waste. Cost: 12,500 gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (Bloodcrier’s Hammer).

You might change it to
Mourning Service: You are required to drink from the skull of one of the Rom at the Well of Despair, mixing blood from the hammer with water from the well, which is lost in the center of the Weeping Desert of the Haunted Lands. Cost: 12,500 gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (Bloodcrier’s Hammer).

To note: the Rom are undead giants, but they also sing dirges, and thus the moaning and tears of blood of the weapon might be tied to the giants. The giants died out when they suddenly produced no more female children (curse?). In fact, it might be a fun thing to try and link the bloodforges lore and the reason for why the Rom lost the ability to procreate.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 13 Jul 2020 00:40:20
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  01:26:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Bones of Li Peng might make a really good story if it were from the areas of like Semphar or Murghom and related to monk-priests of Hoar the Doombringer/Assuran of the Three Thunders. Then its close enough to Shou Lung to have nunchaku, but believable that they might worship a Mulan god. With the stories about the weapon, they kind of fit the idea karmic justice.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  01:47:11  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-Never used it, or anything from it, but I dig the concept of the book.

-From a cursory look, Moonblades and the Baneblades probably would qualify as such Legendary weapons.

Moonblades, DEFINITELY. In fact, towards the end of the sourcebook, they mention potentially adapting a Holy Avenger or a Staff of Power as a Legacy item, so a Moonblade wouldn't be far off. By "Baneblades," did you mean the Baneblades of Demron, or Baneswords? I'd think you'd mean the former, which is plausible.

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 18 Jul 2020 23:43:48
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  02:55:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The Baneblades of Demron, yeah.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2020 :  23:44:21  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so otherwise, folks, which sounded best?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2020 :  15:17:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Okay, so otherwise, folks, which sounded best?

Honestly, I never read the book, but this topic had me look into the ones you listed (at least the first couple). I think the best idea would be rather than trying to adapt the whole book to the realms, pick a few items and have the sages here look at the idea with you. It can be really fun to rethink some of this stuff (for instance, I had a lot of fun rethinking that hammer, and I really see where you could build a campaign around it in a little used area like the Utter East/Zakhara.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  03:57:23  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* And now it just seems like nobody understands any more. I almost wouldn't mind doing more 5th edition stuff but...
1) More or less no space in my room for much (if any) more sourcebooks. I mean, my bookcase is bursting with sourcebooks and I'm struggling to de-clutter my current room as is.
2) Have to watch my expenditures, ESPECIALLY with the pandemic still going on.
3) I don't know if much (if any) 5th Edition content is available digitally for free (and legally so). Also, I don't know if my computer can handle it.
4) 3.5 has always been my bread and butter. I'd hate to have to keep changing it just to keep to date with everything.

I don't know if this means everyone's just going to go on without me or what. I just want people to enjoy my content, not look at it like it's something from a bygone era. I've got enough going on with my brother's kids being home PRACTICALLY ALL THE TIME, being stuck here at home myself even more so and the possibility of socializing being so small. I mean, too few people call/message me besides immediate family, hardly anyone really chats with me on Facebook... It feels like almost nobody cares.

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2020 :  05:12:11  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's you. It's more that the WoL book was rather niche and many of the weapons were tremendously weaker than what the party craftmonkey could make.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000