Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 For Gargauth Fans - 3d model of shield
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2020 :  22:40:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
To note, I didn't make this. I just happened across it in looking at something else and really thought it was good.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4250551

Since its specifically a model of the shield of the hidden lord for the knights of the shield, I figured people here might appreciate this.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  20:00:44  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

That is awesome. That would be perfect to put on top of a character three-ring binder. It would just perfectly crown it I think.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  20:10:31  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That seems to waste a bit of plastic. I don't have a 3d printer so can the stuff you cut off be re-melted and reused in another print job?

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  20:24:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe TheIriaeban,

I thought the same thing myself, but I've yet to even utilize 3D printing personally, so I don't know. Some friends of mine have complained that non-standing items, like a shield, can use up a bit of plastic to keep them from breaking.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  20:26:28  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet stuff. Now to get a miniatureof Lord Inselm Hhune to put next to the Shield.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  20:57:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

Great reference. I love him as a character in Tethyr. I had him running as a background "villain" (whatever that means) in my Tethyr campaign. He's yet to even be discovered as a guy in the background of things thus far in any of the iterations I've run it, but it is fun using him. :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2020 :  21:48:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

That seems to waste a bit of plastic. I don't have a 3d printer so can the stuff you cut off be re-melted and reused in another print job?

No, but you can modify the 3d STL file before printing. Plastic costs next to nothing though. Its more that it takes forever to print anything, so make sure its what you want before doing so (that being said, my 3d printer is almost 6 years old, and there's newer and better stuff out there).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Dec 2020 21:49:38
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2020 :  03:08:19  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be adorable to equip onto a mini in a BG:DiA campaign. Stick a little speaker phone and watch battery inside. Heh. "Kill your friends! Take me to Baator! Trust in me! I am the Hidden Lord!"

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T

Edited by - PattPlays on 22 Dec 2020 03:08:36
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2020 :  04:27:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That would be perfect to put on top of a character three-ring binder. It would just perfectly crown it I think.

You can rescale the digital model to any size you like, within print hardware limits. Minor modifications usually won't affect resolution quality. And decorative objects can be cleaned up or surfaced all sorts of ways.

quote:

In theory, yes.
Any plastic polymer can be recycled. And it's not that hard to do if it's a uniform polymer. (The main obstacle in real-life plastic recycling is separating the visually similar but chemically different types. Plastics are much like metals, insofar as there's a variety of fundamentally different kinds with different properties, along with an endless variety of composites, mixes, blends, and alloys designed to provide specific material properties.)

In practice, no.
Few people will have temperature-controlled pressure-controlled melting vats to dump their plastic pellets into. (Not to mention the goodly collection of additives - binders, solvents, stabilizers, perfumes, etc - needed to replicate consistent batch qualities.)
Most 3D printers require feed plastics from specific spool formats which haven't been chemically "cured" by previous melts and which aren't easy (cheap) to reproduce on small scale equipment. 3D printers are also hideously expensive so owners are wary about (re)using feed materials which don't meet strict specifications or which might contain contaminants.

So the vast majority of printed objects end up being discarded once they've filled (or failed) their purpose.

Although many printed objects are made with (cheap) low-density "biodegradable" plastic stocks, unless different (costly) plastics need to be selected for durability or for other physical properties.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 22 Dec 2020 05:38:29
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2020 :  16:40:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

That would be adorable to equip onto a mini in a BG:DiA campaign. Stick a little speaker phone and watch battery inside. Heh. "Kill your friends! Take me to Baator! Trust in me! I am the Hidden Lord!"

Right!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2020 :  17:40:54  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that gave me a wicked idea: have something you can hook a bluetooth headset up to that allows the DM to send pre-recorded audio files to one or more of them. That way, someone fails a saving throw against certain spells and they hear in their ear "They are planning to kill you. Look! Did you see, that warrior is playing with the hilt of his sword!" The other players hear nothing of that or you play for them a file that says "your friend the thief has started giving you strange looks"

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 22 Dec 2020 17:43:58
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2020 :  02:27:46  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Actually, that gave me a wicked idea: have something you can hook a bluetooth headset up to that allows the DM to send pre-recorded audio files to one or more of them. That way, someone fails a saving throw against certain spells and they hear in their ear "They are planning to kill you. Look! Did you see, that warrior is playing with the hilt of his sword!" The other players hear nothing of that or you play for them a file that says "your friend the thief has started giving you strange looks"

Players seem to always appreciate audio ques.
I had a whole conversation (which turned violent) with myself over my phone's voice recorder before a session and played it when a party leaned down to eavesdrop on the building their target was in when we played OOTA in Mantol Derith. I also recorded some serious nonsense audio to fill a dungeon chamber with Gibbering Mouther foreshadowing.
Anyone want to hear that? XD

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2020 :  05:25:22  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe PattPlays,

I actually am curious about hearing that. Do you have a URL to that recording?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2020 :  07:05:06  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sending you the link in a DM.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  03:04:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Sending you the link in a DM.

I never received that link. You still up for sending it my way?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  04:09:02  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Odd. Here's a direct link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZjRpYqZri0&t=491s

The video has a description about the encounter at the start, and the rest of the video is a haphazard pile of the auditory nightmare fuel I put together that day. It's just about half a dozen tracks of audio in Audacity with a variety of audio effect processing. It's from back at college.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  07:31:22  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That was great. Thank you for sharing that with me. I liked the acting video too.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  08:34:42  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

That was great. Thank you for sharing that with me. I liked the acting video too.

Best regards,

Aw thanks. I used to make all sorts of content. There's stuff on there going back to 2011. I always wanted to do a D&D thing (would have been easy to nab some viral fame) but I feel that I left most of my youtuber juice on the floor of my high school years. Too busy running games instead! XD

Good thread is good.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000