Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Official: Diversity and Dungeons & Dragons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2020 :  15:46:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Patton, Sherman, ALaxander the Great shouldnt be on a vile list either. They are there because I'm sure each of them has some questionable doings while they served their countries.

Sherman burned Georgia to the ground on his march through it. One city he ordered the rest he did not his men did that themselves. When you need to bring a war to an end and demoralize your enemy to aid its end well... He is demonized for stuff that he and his men did not do too so...
PAtton punched a guy in the hospital and was supposed to be really hard to work with.

Alexander... well, I'm not big with ancient Greece , Egypt, and east of Egypt history. Wikipedia doesn't show a whole lot so...

That said,
I hold
Patton, Sherman, Rommel, and Manfred von Richthofen in high regard, not for who they served or their political outlook , only for their accomplishments.

So what about Robert E. Lee? General Cornwallis? Custard?

Accomplishments don't mean anything if you're on the wrong side of history. You made a choice to stand with the devil and actively worked to give the devil more power.

quote:

Oh and... with me, it is more how and what you are changing as I said I agree with hiring the Romani to throw out any negative traits that resemble their culture. I do agree with some other things that should be changed, but what worries me is when you change something that takes away a villain.
Could you imagine Bane as LN instead of LE?
or turning a known npc into a black npc when npc has always been white

Seriously? You think we're change villainy in the game? This is about how races and cultures are depicted, not about changing villains. You seem to be hung up that if they change how a culture looks so it's not "inherently evil", you no longer have anyone to hate (which is kinda the whole point).

And I don't recall most characters being described as black or white in the novels I read, unless they went out of their way to describe them so. Just because art shows them looking one way, doesn't mean they looked that way (I could list a very popular example, but don't want to get into a religious debate as well).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 24 Jun 2020 15:51:36
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2020 :  16:55:30  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
Robert E Lee is a moron, Cornwallis was a fool and Custard was a egotistical maniac.
nothing to respsect there

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2020 :  17:09:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
oh and NO I'M NOT HUNG UP ON THAT!
I fail to see how they were written up would be considered hateful or racist or derogative
to anyone.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2020 :  17:21:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

oh and NO I'M NOT HUNG UP ON THAT!
I fail to see how they were written up would be considered hateful or racist or derogative
to anyone.

Ah, but it doesn't matter how YOU see it, it's how others see it. That's the point we're trying to get across. You might think it's fine, but others do not and there are enough of them raising concern that it warrants discussion and action.

Take some time, read up on history and educate yourself on what's going on and what HAS happened to get us to this point. One of the panels at D&D Live 2020 was their #BlackAF panel that showed the frustration POC have with gamers and D&D.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  00:23:34  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message
Late to this discussion, but here is my two cents. I feel this is pure pandering from WoTC. For decades there have been people complaining about certain aspects of the lore in DnD be it the color of the evil Drow or the caricaturization of real life cultures and WoTC just shrugged. Not only that, the entire organization has been shown to be incredibly discriminatory. ** Link Below **

I agree that it would be far better for the setting of FR to paint all races, cultures, and creatures in more shades of grey. I simply don't trust WoTC to do it in an intelligent and interesting way. We are going to end up with the most cringe worthy, watered down, clumsy results possible. I'd rather see them work on fixing their internal diversity problems first. If you fill your staff with a talented diverse team, that will without question lead to a much better product on the pages.

https://twitter.com/zbeg/status/1269962379925708801?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1269962379925708801&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-1269962379925708801%26autosize%3D1

Edited by - Caolin on 25 Jun 2020 02:17:49
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  00:41:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
@Caolin - the site you linked appears to be hostile.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  01:02:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Late to this discussion, but here is my two cents. I feel this is pure pandering from WoTC. For decades there have been people complaining about certain aspects of the lore in DnD be it the color of the evil Drow or the caricaturization of real life cultures and WoTC just shrugged. Not only that, the entire organization has been shown to be incredibly discriminatory. *HOSTILE LINK EDITED OUT*

I agree that it would be far better for the setting of FR to paint all races, cultures, and creatures in more shades of grey. I simply don't trust WoTC to do it in an intelligent and interesting way. We are going to end up with the most cringe worthy, watered down, clumsy results possible. I'd rather see them work on fixing their internal diversity problems first. If you fill your staff with a talented diverse team, that will without question lead to a much better product on the pages.

I have to agree with Ayrik, not only is the site listed as hostile and dangerous for browsers, but it makes me wonder your intentions for posting that link.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 25 Jun 2020 01:02:45
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  01:40:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Not sure if that bad, however search offers this information.
quote:
Free URL shortener - RB.GY
[Search domain www.rb.gy] www.rb.gy
Shorten, share and track. Once you have created and shared the short URL, just add a "+" to the end of it and you will get reliable, real-time analytics showing the numbers of clicks received from your shortened URL. Click here to see an example: https://rb.gy/pjzjsl+

My protection software does not list the provider as trustworthy, however does not as untrustworthy. It for me listed as unknown. As for the site URL offered I did not try it, there is no way to known the true link without clicking it. As Caolin has rank of Senior Scribe the odds are good not hostile intent.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 25 Jun 2020 01:43:14
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  01:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message
By the way just in here is the errata for the changes wizards has done to Curse of Stradh and other Publications: https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/rules-game-mechanics/8760-official-wizards-of-the-coast-errata#c16

Link points to dndbeyond

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

@Caolin - the site you linked appears to be hostile.

Sorry about that. It was a really long URL so I tried a URL Shortener. Seems like those are out of vogue now. I updated the link to the original link to a Twitter post in my original post.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  02:22:10  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

Late to this discussion, but here is my two cents. I feel this is pure pandering from WoTC. For decades there have been people complaining about certain aspects of the lore in DnD be it the color of the evil Drow or the caricaturization of real life cultures and WoTC just shrugged. Not only that, the entire organization has been shown to be incredibly discriminatory. *HOSTILE LINK EDITED OUT*

I have to agree with Ayrik, not only is the site listed as hostile and dangerous for browsers, but it makes me wonder your intentions for posting that link.

I corrected the issue. See my response above.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  03:53:42  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
I was familiar with some of that Caolin, but not all of it. The Quartering on youtube had done a video on wizards of the coast on a similar matter.
I also agree with you that each culture being shown in more shades of Grey would be better for the setting and I too do not trust wotc to do it right as well. Pandering to a group who won't buy their products...

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 25 Jun 2020 04:05:31
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  04:06:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

I was familiar with some of that Caolin, but not all of it. The Quartering on youtube had done a video on wizards of the coast on a similar matter.
I also agree with you that each culture being shown in more shades of Grey would be better for the setting and I too do not trust wotc to do it right as well. I see them making all the bbeg npcs all white for a long time all in the name of inclusivity and Diversity. Pandering to a group who won't buy their products...

What group would that be? Is there a specific group of people you feel wouldn't purchase a role-playing game?

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  04:07:18  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RDhVZ4x_Zf1abOpGfEGMI4xtYMA7AghCN5uWIfJRa6c/edit

WotC's "diversity" stuff is blatantly obvious virtue signalling.
But I would've thought a corporation so large and so experienced in marketing would be more professional at their craft - not blundering heavyhanded amateurs.

This ranting raving social media attack vs WotC seems rather exaggerated. No doubt it does (or did) reference some ugly truths, some punitive slurs and sleights, some people onboard who were offensive.
But it's not concise and considered, not a well-structured rhetoric - it's just a sloppy, vague, accusatory hate letter. Which suggests somebody not grown up enough to view and consider things from an objective perspective - an immature amateur.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  05:00:26  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message
Can we maybe cool it with the “virtue signaling” thing? It’s a dogwhistle for some of the worst types, and gets used to decry literally anything that represents or benefits marginalized folks.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  05:24:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Can we maybe cool it with the “virtue signaling” thing? It’s a dogwhistle for some of the worst types, and gets used to decry literally anything that represents or benefits marginalized folks.

I concur. Regardless of whether or not you believe in their sincerity, "virtue signaling" is frequently used by those who disagree with particular social causes.

I think there are some companies that are making a show of following the crowd, without actually intending to make a change -- but I think that even those companies just paying lip service to the idea of changing are going to find such change inevitable. Stagnation is a powerful force, but it's also something that can kill a business.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  10:51:55  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message
Serious question, who is really upset by these changes they're making? Are these changes seriously going to affect your game, or your decision to buy any of their products? I have a suspicion that those who are actually upset are probably not current customers and probably won't become ones in the near future.

Thing is, as easily as I can put it, get over it. WotC, for whatever reason you want to conjure, is making changes to future products and probably adding errata to their late reprints and either accept it or ignore or and move on.

Personally, I never liked the cultural context of people like the Vistani as I hate overtly RL analogies so them being changed does absolutely nothing for my campaigns and might actually make them interesting in future products. Also, changes to Drow making them not explicably evil 99% of the time, sounds good to me. Not every PC Drow needs to be some Underdark rebel fleeing the horrors of Menzoberranzan. The trope is boring and overplayed. And yes, Drow PCs being more common is a thing, probably should get over that too.

Edited by - Diffan on 25 Jun 2020 10:56:39
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  12:04:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Um, maybe showing my age, and generally a lack of interest in going into all this, because honestly it doesn't affect my personal life much.... but just to keep up with the conversation, what the hell is "virtue signaling" and who are the number that it apparently sets off alarm bells in their heads?

To just again state my stance on things in general, I don't have a problem with having evil in my games. I would have a problem with it in real life. That evil may consist of torture. It may consist of slavery. It may consist of stealing in many forms (stealing power, money, goods, land, etc...). The one thing I've tried to steer away from (outside from a background story possibly) were topics of sex crimes, or if there was such, it was to point out how even my darkest NPC's would hunt down someone who was involved with such. I view showing these evils as a way for people to see how dark the world can be, and the fact that some of these things actually happen in our world, a cautionary tale to those who are less open to the thought that darkness can happen and happen fast. Not to get really dark here for a minute, but I feel that it was the unwillingness to believe that true evil can exist that allowed the jewish camps of the Nazis to come about. I see a naivety in some of the young people that I know, and a simple willingness to trust all too easily, and I fear that if their eyes aren't opened they'll get abused by those who will take their naivety and use them for goals that they don't realize. At the same time, I know that I was a very trusting soul in my teens. My time in life has taught me that many people will say or do anything they need to just to get what they want, and lying boldly to your face can come to them with ease. If in any way something I've said is somehow hate speech, please understand I don't intend it as such.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  13:19:15  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message
I think you guys are sort of missing the point behind the motivations of WotC here in their dealings going forward. No one's suggesting that "evil" isn't going to happen. There were still be monsters lurking, humanoids that choose to do evil for their own personal gain or maybe that of their organization or deity. None of that is honestly going to change, much -if at all. What WotC is suggesting is that, for sentient humanoids (human, halfling, elves [including dark elves], orcs/half-orcs, dwarves, etc) that there isn't an "INHERENT" evil within these species.

Further, removing cultural stereotypes from a group of people who are depicted and treated like Gypsies in all but name isn't bad at all. But at your table, you do what you want. WotC isn't going to send jack-booted thugs to your gaming table and enforce verbal policing. So likely none of their perceived changes are going to do anything for you - so no harm, no foul.

Also, every PC is a delicate, unique, individual flower otherwise you might as well just throw out the entire Character building process because there'd be no point if EVERY Fighter was the same, every Barbarian was the same, every Wizard having the same spells and abilities, no multiclassing, etc. I might as well play a fixed Video Game and be done with it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  13:20:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I suspect sleyvas that you are about to be loudly shouted down and accused of all manner of evils.

Either you're being deliberately obtuse or you're trying to start something here. There is no issue with anything sleyvas said.

quote:

I'm similar to sleyvas. I'm against stopping people from doing things because of their ethnicity or treating them badly for the same reason . Words however are just words, people seem to be offended by everything these days and it doesnt make me want to learn about their problems when they shout everything down as offensive (politicians in particular do this routinely now to end a discussion that they are faring poorly in).

Saying "people are offended by everything" is very dismissive. It shows you don't care to learn why someone is offended.

quote:

I'll continue to use the word gypsy in my game because I mean it only to refer to travelling people (and it's easier to say than ethnic and gender neutral person of no fixed abode or destination) and not in a negative way, those that don't like it don't have to play my game. I'm sure at some point the term cis white guy will be offensive too (I've no idea what that means either). It is the intended meaning of the word that is the problem and not the word itself.

No, it is the word that is the problem. What you intend by it and how it is taken are not the same thing.

Again, you don't get to decide what offends someone else.

quote:

In a world where everyone is a unique and delicate flower, and no stereotypes exist then that becomes the stereotype (that everyone is a unique and delicate flower) hence the creation of the term snowflake to refer to them.

It's been my experience that people that use the term "snowflake" are the quickest to get offended -- at companies that publicly do the right thing, or who support someone the snowflake-caller disagrees with, or that most heinous of offenses, using inclusive terms and symbols (especially at holiday time!).

quote:

I've got evil in my games, racism as well (the eldreth veluthra are anti human), manipulation, magical coercion, torture, mental and physical abuse almost anything goes if the players are in agreement (and it's almost always npc to npc to provide motivation and depth to the npcs). It makes the game more real and immersive and allows people to fight against that evil in a way they could not in the real world. I'd never allow players to perform that evil (I even discourage the wholesale murder hobo game that dnd has become) themselves against each other or an npc. A game where everyone is nice and no
evil or conflict exists because it is not politically correct in the real world would make for an incredibly dull game.

Congratulations, you've just proven that you have no idea at all what this discussion is about.

It has nothing to with evil in the game, it's how real-world groups are being treated and represented.

quote:

And such is the nature of the real world and peoples appetite for offence, I will probably delete this post in 30 minutes for fear of being attacked by those crying "I'm offended"

In other words, you know you're offending people, and yet you don't care.

You're one of the reasons we're having this discussion.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  14:10:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

I'm sure at some point the term cis white guy will be offensive too (I've no idea what that means either). It is the intended meaning of the word that is the problem and not the word itself.

Oh thank god that I'm not the only one who saw that term for the first time a few months back and was like "what?". I literally don't know why its a special word, and to me it means "straight". It just seems to be another new made up word. Again, for those that don't get it, I'm just saying what's true to me.... never heard the word before, so in some ways a lot of you guys are speaking gibberish to me. It would be like me coming on right now and talking about subnet masks and VLSM in length.... I'd probably make a lot of your eyes glaze over, and you'd be like "what?".

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Jun 2020 14:11:43
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  14:28:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I think you guys are sort of missing the point behind the motivations of WotC here in their dealings going forward. No one's suggesting that "evil" isn't going to happen. There were still be monsters lurking, humanoids that choose to do evil for their own personal gain or maybe that of their organization or deity. None of that is honestly going to change, much -if at all. What WotC is suggesting is that, for sentient humanoids (human, halfling, elves [including dark elves], orcs/half-orcs, dwarves, etc) that there isn't an "INHERENT" evil within these species.

Further, removing cultural stereotypes from a group of people who are depicted and treated like Gypsies in all but name isn't bad at all. But at your table, you do what you want. WotC isn't going to send jack-booted thugs to your gaming table and enforce verbal policing. So likely none of their perceived changes are going to do anything for you - so no harm, no foul.

Also, every PC is a delicate, unique, individual flower otherwise you might as well just throw out the entire Character building process because there'd be no point if EVERY Fighter was the same, every Barbarian was the same, every Wizard having the same spells and abilities, no multiclassing, etc. I might as well play a fixed Video Game and be done with it.

Hey Diffan, you nailed me. I don't get it. Like I asked previously.... what was so horrible about the depiction of the Vistani? I wasn't kidding when I asked it. Sure, some of them are belligerent drunks? Big deal, so are a lot of cultures that we've seen. So, they "steal" because they don't recognize the concept of personal property? So what, kender are treated almost like lovable folks for being pretty much similar. I'm literally not sure why that particular culture was called out more than any other, because I can say that there's a lot of them that are much worse. Personally, I find the slave taking duergar who would work their slaves to death to make some hammer as more of an issue (and honestly... I don't have an issue showing that in my games). The beholders with their amazingly racist views amongst their own kinds are somewhat... well maybe more than somewhat... insane. But, like I've said, I see these as evils which we can show as a dark mirror on real life in a way that helps people reflect on their own actions, and maybe improve themselves.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  14:53:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Hey Diffan, you nailed me. I don't get it. Like I asked previously.... what was so horrible about the depiction of the Vistani? I wasn't kidding when I asked it. Sure, some of them are belligerent drunks? Big deal, so are a lot of cultures that we've seen. So, they "steal" because they don't recognize the concept of personal property? So what, kender are treated almost like lovable folks for being pretty much similar. I'm literally not sure why that particular culture was called out more than any other, because I can say that there's a lot of them that are much worse. Personally, I find the slave taking duergar who would work their slaves to death to make some hammer as more of an issue (and honestly... I don't have an issue showing that in my games). The beholders with their amazingly racist views amongst their own kinds are somewhat... well maybe more than somewhat... insane. But, like I've said, I see these as evils which we can show as a dark mirror on real life in a way that helps people reflect on their own actions, and maybe improve themselves.

The issue is that the Vistani are based on stereotypes about the Romani people. The Romani have been mistreated for generations, to the point that a common word for ripping people off -- "gyp" -- comes from the more well-known term for the group, "Gypsies." The Nazis attempted to wipe out the Romani people entirely, killing them by the thousands and sending many to the same concentration camps more well-known for the attempted genocide of Jewish people.

Even in today's world, there is still a lot of prejudice against the Romani, especially in Europe. Others could prolly offer more info there; I've read a fair amount on the topic, but living in the US, it's not something I've seen directly, and I've not researched it as much as others.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Jun 2020 15:02:35
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  15:11:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
By the way, not D&D related directly, and I'm so far removed from watching the news such that I know little about these riots and protests I'm seeing (and I'm purposely going to steer away from my views of the concept of some riots I'm tangentially hearing about on the news)…. but there is something I'm seeing on my phone that I'm not getting. I've seen a couple articles pop up recently about J.K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter) being somehow offensive to some (and I use the word some because I don't know which) portion of the LGBTQ (I type that right?) community. Quite frankly, I'm baffled. Fifteen years ago, I would have told you I would have never have read those stories because they were "kids books". Then I watched the movies. Then I met my fiancé, and she said she loved them. I love her. She reads to her daughter every night for an hour, and her daughter is now eleven. Over the past 8 years, I've helped her find new stories to read to her daughter, and ironically Jade likes many of the types of fantasy that I would have loved to read as a kid (but which weren't around). But they also read some of the really old stuff, because I recommended looking at them even when I hadn't read them (like the Narnia series of books). So, when she decided her daughter was old enough to be read Harry Potter, I decided I'd read along with them. I fell in love with the stories. I'm now an avid Harry Potter fan (I consider myself house Ravenclaw, though I tested into Gryffindor somehow).

So, when I see people yelling and screaming that Rowling is somehow insensitive to the plights of these communities, honestly it makes me want to draw a sword and charge forward to defend her. I find her very sensitive to their ideas. I find her to be a thoughtful, introspective person, especially after how in her final HP book she brought out some views on Dumbledore that I'd been noting (i.e. he's secretive, untrusting, and not necessarily as "good" as he's painted, etc....). I've seen some scribes here say some things about Ed's views on these communities as well as being unenlightened, and honestly I consider him as similar to Rowling (though, I think he comes at it from the views of a male, so he's a bit more lurid, but hey.... am I wrong for liking thinking about the Simbul being sexy, or liking that one of the seven sisters chops wood in the nude?). In fact, I've suspected that Rowling's Dumbledore MIGHT be based on Ed's depiction of Elminster, but I could very much be wrong. So, again, I don't get it, because it seems to me they're disagreeing with the same people who are supporting their platforms??? I don't know why people are offended so easily literally because I'm not understanding what's their argument for their offense (and a lot of times, I will say that may be because they don't present their arguments clearly.... shoot me as the messenger for saying that, but a lot of things just seem to be name calling to separate people into factions).

EDIT: Oh, and just cause..... Long Live Luna Lovegood!

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 25 Jun 2020 15:14:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  15:41:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

By the way, not D&D related directly, and I'm so far removed from watching the news such that I know little about these riots and protests I'm seeing (and I'm purposely going to steer away from my views of the concept of some riots I'm tangentially hearing about on the news)…. but there is something I'm seeing on my phone that I'm not getting. I've seen a couple articles pop up recently about J.K. Rowling (author of Harry Potter) being somehow offensive to some (and I use the word some because I don't know which) portion of the LGBTQ (I type that right?) community. Quite frankly, I'm baffled. Fifteen years ago, I would have told you I would have never have read those stories because they were "kids books". Then I watched the movies. Then I met my fiancé, and she said she loved them. I love her. She reads to her daughter every night for an hour, and her daughter is now eleven. Over the past 8 years, I've helped her find new stories to read to her daughter, and ironically Jade likes many of the types of fantasy that I would have loved to read as a kid (but which weren't around). But they also read some of the really old stuff, because I recommended looking at them even when I hadn't read them (like the Narnia series of books). So, when she decided her daughter was old enough to be read Harry Potter, I decided I'd read along with them. I fell in love with the stories. I'm now an avid Harry Potter fan (I consider myself house Ravenclaw, though I tested into Gryffindor somehow).

So, when I see people yelling and screaming that Rowling is somehow insensitive to the plights of these communities, honestly it makes me want to draw a sword and charge forward to defend her. I find her very sensitive to their ideas. I find her to be a thoughtful, introspective person, especially after how in her final HP book she brought out some views on Dumbledore that I'd been noting (i.e. he's secretive, untrusting, and not necessarily as "good" as he's painted, etc....). I've seen some scribes here say some things about Ed's views on these communities as well as being unenlightened, and honestly I consider him as similar to Rowling (though, I think he comes at it from the views of a male, so he's a bit more lurid, but hey.... am I wrong for liking thinking about the Simbul being sexy, or liking that one of the seven sisters chops wood in the nude?). In fact, I've suspected that Rowling's Dumbledore MIGHT be based on Ed's depiction of Elminster, but I could very much be wrong. So, again, I don't get it, because it seems to me they're disagreeing with the same people who are supporting their platforms??? I don't know why people are offended so easily literally because I'm not understanding what's their argument for their offense (and a lot of times, I will say that may be because they don't present their arguments clearly.... shoot me as the messenger for saying that, but a lot of things just seem to be name calling to separate people into factions).

EDIT: Oh, and just cause..... Long Live Luna Lovegood!

The reason there's a lot of commotion about her now is because of a recent Twitter post that offended a lot of LGBT people, and which she then defended. Even some of the stars of the movies, like Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Eddie Redmayne have disagreed with her comments.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  15:46:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

The issue is that the Vistani are based on stereotypes about the Romani people. The Romani have been mistreated for generations, to the point that a common word for ripping people off -- "gyp" -- comes from the more well-known term for the group, "Gypsies." The Nazis attempted to wipe out the Romani people entirely, killing them by the thousands and sending many to the same concentration camps more well-known for the attempted genocide of Jewish people.

Even in today's world, there is still a lot of prejudice against the Romani, especially in Europe. Others could prolly offer more info there; I've read a fair amount on the topic, but living in the US, it's not something I've seen directly, and I've not researched it as much as others.

So, the problem is just that they too closely resemble the stereotypes for their "real world" counterparts (or the views that some people have of them)? Honestly, I've never met a "Roma" in my life, but if that's the issue and that its because the writers were too derivative..... ummm, I gotta say that there's a lot of others that quite frankly need to be higher ranked. As Zeromarux said, the depiction of the Mazticans was very bad (I was like, WHOA that's dark). Its partly why I'd like to change them when they're brought back by insetting my United Tharchs in and around the area to be "the bad guys who are not derivative of south American culture". In fact, one thing that I don't think people noticed much is that the main Faerunian hero (Halloran) of the Maztica novels is a Thayan wizard's apprentice who fled after a summoning went wrong. One of the things I've thought about introducing is a "United Tharchs of Toril" trade enclave that worms its way into the city of Tukan say 30 years after the region is delivered into Abeir under the pretenses of saying that they also "fled" the homeland of Halloran... so they're "good like him". Then maybe they introduce some vile addictive substances grown in their colonies (because they brought some plants of Faerun and planted them in the jungles of Maztica), and they get these Mazticans to hunt down Nexalan orcs, ogres, jagres, and animals and trade them for goods and services (perhaps even opening up a tiny school for young spellcasters). They might also share secrets of Pluma and Hishna (with Thayan transmuters adapting a lot of concepts of both crafts).

That being said, the Maztican references ARE like 20+ years old, so I can see why the modern people might be more worried about depictions that they themselves have made. At least now I'm feeling like I'm getting why all the hubbub, and if the main complaint is that essentially their writers are less imaginative and just being lazy in making a very "different" looking culture so that people from that culture won't feel picked on.... I got no problem with that. Lord knows the cultures I'm fascinated with have little basis in our real world for direct comparison. It would have helped though if the people writing that article on D&D would have spelled out WHY they were so upset with their own depiction of the Vistani more, and that comes back to my earlier statements about a lot of folks don't make their arguments very clear and just assume folks are following their track of mind.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  16:07:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
BTW, thanks Wooly and Diffan both. I know I may have just sounded a bit like a blibbering idiot, but sometimes you just have to bluntly say why you are confused so that you can get a clear answer of what's the issue. Honestly, I don't ever see a Roma person showing up at my games, so I don't see it as a large issue..... but maybe its more of a problem in Europe, and the game has gone way beyond the bounds of our own country. Honestly, I'm surprised many times when I find out how many of our own scribes here aren't from the USA (I was equally surprised maybe 20 years ago when I found out Ed was Canadian, though don't nail me for this, I consider Canada to be like that "good neighbor to the far north" because I actually have immigrant friends/players from there and they don't seem all that different... so that may color my views).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  16:23:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Knowing you may have a blind spot, and being willing to listen to people and address that blind spot, are the biggest things, I think.

When I was a kid, homophobia was an acceptable prejudice. When I got older, I put that aside, and thought that was enough -- but then a conversation with a gay coworker really opened my eyes, and made me considerably more aware of the issues LGBT people face.

We have to be able to see the problems to be able to address them.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  17:04:14  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ok, forgive, not to beat a dead horse, and someone probably addressed this.... but I'm literally having eye problems right now, sitting here with an eyepatch covering one eye (btw, and a hurt foot, so all I need is a pegleg and you can call me pirate....)… so I'll just bluntly ask the other thing that I'm not getting rather than making my eye water reading through all the threads. Oh, and Wooly, I know you didn't know this, but reading the statement about "blind spots" and knowing my current situation with double vision, it made me smile in a weird way.

So, I get now the complaint about the Vistani and that they're worried about IF a Roma person comes to your table. However, part of the complaint was also with orcs and drow, and if the whole thing is about stereotypes... I'm not following. Again, this may come down to the author not making themselves clear, and that causes confusion... which quite frankly is the thing that cheeses me off more than anything. Make your arguments clear. Now, for drow… I'm guessing they're saying that they are saying that they are mirrored in the (and forgive, because different people want different words) colored population. Honestly, I don't see that mirrored with any of the stereotypes I've heard in any way shape or form???? They are a female dominated society, power hungry, whose focus is on a religion that's WAAYY different than anything real world. How is that mirroring a stereotype of our world such that its hurtful? Now, if you want to say that they're built on a foundation that's dumb as hell, okay, you got me and I'll buy into that. I don't personally buy into the idea that every drow city is Lolth oriented, and I honestly think they're all very different. For instance, the Undrek'Thoz segmented city I view as having many different temples. The Undrek'Thoz city which has all the undead has a thriving worship of Kiaransalee in my view and a sizable 3.5e dread necromancer population. BTW, this does make me want to look at the Eberron book to see what they did with the drow though. I know they had jungle drow with some scorpion fetish in Eberron, and ever since looking at Seethyr's Lopango, I've pictured there being a drow culture there that was small but focused on non-Lolth worship of jungle based arachnids (yeah, its stealing, but the realms steals so much as is).

Which then brings us to orcs... and honestly I can't think of any real world group that they're supposed to be stereotyped too. That being said, if the idea is "we wrote orcs as stupid evil and they're not all the same"... ok, I'll buy into that. Lord knows that no one resource can be all encompassing for a race of people that's spread across the multiverse. Honestly though, I don't think that needed a press piece. Just do what you say you're going to do. If your writers are putting out drivel, then address it before we see it and we don't have to read things like this.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  17:46:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Orcs have been a problem for people of color almost from the moment Tolkien put pen to paper. The physical descriptions and cultural descriptions used a lot of the same descriptors that white supremacists and other hatemongers were using for POC. Making them inherently evil, stupid, and savage in the game has left a bad impression on gamers of color for a long while, and finally the gaming companies are listening to their complaints.

Similarly, the fact that the Drow were painted as inherently evil elves and were the only elves described with dark skin tone (up until the last 5-10 years), left a similar prejudice on people of color. In the #BlackAF link I posted earlier, it was said that gamers of color would come to the table with an elf that matched their skin tone and white gamers would immediately assume they were drow (and evil).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000