Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite FR deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dimity
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  03:32:31  Show Profile Send Dimity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Finder Wyvernspur. We see his path to apotheosis in The Finder's Stone trilogy. Finder's Bane and Tymora's Luck show us how he behaves as a god and how he's changed (and not changed).

Besides, he can legitimately be called "God of Jumping the Shark". What's not to love?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  05:20:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finder is a personal fave, but my fave Realms deity, is, by far, Lurue. Her dogma and approach to life appear to me, a lot.

Here's what the Powers and Pantheons says:

"The Queen of Talking Beasts and Intelligent Creatures is often taken with wanderlust. She can be whimsical but is infinitely loyal once she takes someone into her trust, and she never abandons her worshippers in times of need. When faced with no other option that combat, Lurue is a dedicated and intractable foe, but she prefers light banter, clever riddles, new discoveries, and the joyous exploration of life.

The Unicorn is a symbol of hope, joy, salvation, and protection for the needy, forlorn, and forsaken. Life is to be relished and lived with laughter. Quests are to be taken on a dare and gifts are to be made on a whim. Impossible dreams are to be pursued for the sheer wonder of the possibility of their completion. Everyone, no matter how unique, is to be praised for their strengths and comforted in their weaknesses. Evil melts most quickly in the face of a rapier wit and unshackled joy. Search for the unicorn and in the pursuit find happiness.

Many of Lurue's clergy are adventurers who travel about the Realms seeking wrongs to right and finding a good balance of merriment, new experiences, and self-improvement in such a profession.
"

If the gods of the Realms were real, she'd be my patron deity.

Other faves, among the good deities, are Eilistraee, Lathander, Shaundakul, Tymora, Mielikki, and Selûne.

Among the neutral deities, I like Finder Wyvernspur, Oghma, Ubtao, and Gond.

I would not be inclined to follow any evil deities, but the ones I'd be most inclined to use for NPC's chosen deities are "Bane"Xvim, Vhaeraun, Mask, and Ghaunadaur.

Among non-Realms deities, I love Paizo's Cayden Cailean.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  05:23:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finder is relatable because of his origins as a flawed mortal.

I rather liked Mask. Not so much the opportunistic buffoon he was in the Avatar trilogy, but more the ancient metaphorical shadow power he embodied in the Twilight War trilogy.

I similarly liked Cyric the ascended flawed mortal. At first. Until he became an utterly deluded idiot, an instrument for painfully contrived narrative.

In contrast, I much misliked Mystra. Her monumental self-sacrifice to save the world was a bit of a tired theme the first time it happened. The regular recurrence is just predictable and implausible trope, badly uncreative writing at its worst.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  14:57:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My faves are Finder, Sune Firehair, Eldath, and Malar. Also like Selune.

I liked Shar during 2nd edition, she was underused and a very neat counter to all the Selune and Tymora and other good female goddesses who got a lot of time. My fave Wearer of the Purple (Salvarad) worshipped her in secret. Then of course, they brought back the Shade and Shar was suddenly huge and Mystra's rival and shadow weave etc. So now I've gone off her.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  16:45:37  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine would have to be Eldath. I studied Aikido for years and her dogma fits in nicely with it. I have developed out the Monks of the Yielding Way and have water-based titles for the masters up to Grand Master of the Waters (instead of Grand Master of Flowers).

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  17:15:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilistraee

She chose to give up on all she could have wanted, face a path full of hardships that she had foreseen and that she feared, only out of love to her people. She found herself alone, fighting forces far greater than her. She suffered defeats, was wounded by the very people that she loved, was broken by grief and loss, and by seeing all that she had fought to build, destroyed.

Yet, as I read about her, the first thing that strikes me is that not only Eilistraee didn't steer from the path that she had chosen to walk for people, but that battling her wounds and sadness taught to see and nurture the beauty, or the potential for it, in everything--even where no one else would look: in the broken, in the abandoned, the forsaken, in the darkest places. As someone who has gone (and is still going through) depression, "melancholy" is a tough opponent, and I simply love that Eilistraee fights hers by striving to heal and create beauty, and by trying to look for chances to enjoy and share it at every opportunity. She continues to dance and sing; to heal, create, and to look for the joy that the world has to offer in all its aspects, even the most mundane--for life is too full of pain to let chances for laughter go to waste. She latches on to what can appear like small things--like creating music, cooking tasty food, being subtly impish/irreverent (she's often described like this), or making someone else happy--and to the act of sharing it with others. It's poignant IMO, because this is her anchor to go through all she had to endure; it's what she built herself on. Creating beauty and spreading this joy that she learned to find, reopening the eyes of her people (or of all those who suffer) to it, make them smile, is what gives her the strength to wake up every morning; she bets herself on the potential of all this, and on the fact that her people, after all, do want to be "seduced" by it. It's her identity at this point.

Which leads to the other part of the character that makes me like her so much--her interaction with the drow. Setting aside her role as a nurturing mother, and the paractical help that she gives the to thrive in a hostile world, to her, the drow are the result of lifelong abuse and neglect from those who should have loved them the most. She knows and feels that, because she's chosen to be one of them, to share their fate. And for that, she also sees the part of them that was silenced by hatred and strife, their potential. Her way of awakening it and healing the abuse is (aside from taking the role of the nurturing mother they never had) to lure the drow out of their prison, to seduce them to embark on a journey to see and marvel at what life actually can be--in short, empowering them to find and pursue beauty in their own life, in the way it best fulfills them. It can't be differently for Eilistraee, because of what I said above--she knows how that abuse feels, and latching onto that beauty, creating it for herself like for others, is what she herself did to rise from her own grief and to rebuild herself; it's only logical that she feels that it can help the drow do the same and be reborn.

As for other gods I enjoy, there's Shaundakul, Selune, Mask, Vhaeraun. Mystra too, because of her intimate connection with the Weave, which is unlike any other deity of magic, but she needs to be left the hell alone for a long time. I'd add deities like Oghma and Sune too, but they're quite standard deities of knowldege and love, so they don't strike me as particularly interesting in that regard. Shelyn from PF is a better characterized deity of love than Sune is, for example, IMHO.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Jun 2020 18:00:53
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  20:50:16  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Three Furies are definitely up there for me, with a preference towards Umberlee and Auril. Hope Umberlee gets her own adventure someday, to complement Malar's Something Wild and Auril's upcoming Rime of the Frostmaiden.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2020 :  21:15:16  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Lathander

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

keftiu
Senior Scribe

656 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  06:48:43  Show Profile Send keftiu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ilmater. Always has been.

I was a sad kid.

4e fangirl. Here to queer up the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  09:17:31  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure I have a favorite, they all got their place yaknow? However I always wished they did more with Hoar/Assuran. And, I might get some flak for this, but I found myself rooting for Cyric in the Avatar series.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  14:16:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was only after some soul searching that I came to realize mine. The Red Knight. Loves games of strategy. Loves tactics. In essence, she's be the one god who would sit down at the game table with me and just enjoy playing.

Now, from a DM's / storyline perspective, I love me some Leira, Velsharoon, Mystra, Lurue, and my personal Metahel Pantheon. For the next few days, Auril will be on my mind too.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  14:47:07  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander. Also like Tyr, Solonor (and the Seldarine), and some of the less humanoid gods (Remnis, Bahamut) but those are not properly Realmsian.

As for the bad guys, Malar (after I understood him better) and the Gods of Fury . In the same line above, Nomog-Geaya, Gruumsh and Tiamat.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2020 :  23:42:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talos, Gruumsh, and Tiamat are indeed awesome. Though I'd never want to worship them, nor live in a world where they are worshipped.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2020 :  03:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hands down for me it is Nobanion. Nobanion is Aslan and Aslan has major allusions to Christ and Christianity which appeals to me personally. His depiction in the Reaver was cool, but mildly disappointing. I would certainly love to play a wemic paladin of his in the old school holy crusader trope of paladins from earlier editions.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 17 Jun 2020 03:54:31
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2020 :  10:03:13  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoot, forgot my non-human dieties!

Labelas Enoreth has been my fave since the FR comic book, I really loved how he was depicted in avatar form and the fight with Clangeddin. Brutal. Also god of immortality and time, neat portfolio.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2020 :  22:47:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favorite human deity: I'd have to say Torm, the True ever since I read the Tantras novel. His battle with Bane over the city was pretty awesome. A runner up would probably the The Traid (Tyr, Torm, Ilmater [shout out to Bahamut too during Tyr's absence]). I've always sort of liked the Triadic Knight - one who espouses all the tenets of these faiths into one.

Non-human deity: I'd say Corellon Larethian, deity of the Elves.
Go to Top of Page

Theodore
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  11:30:53  Show Profile Send Theodore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a strange mix but my three chief deities are Eilistraee, Lathander and Moradin in that order.

None so loyal in all the realms as a dwarf.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  11:51:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always had a thing for Clangeddin and I think that Ilmater has lots of nuance and possibilities.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  14:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mine has been auril for quite sometime which is good with the rime of the frostmaiden coming in

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Bracho Bugental
Acolyte

Poland
6 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  17:05:15  Show Profile Send Bracho Bugental a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourites:

Ghaunadaur – for his (its?) ‘elder evil’ vibe, alien and incomprehensible;
Gargauth – for the endless possibilities for plots and intrigues on planar scale, and being so elegantly evil;
Shaundakul – for being the embodiment of adventuring (‘Let your footsteps fall where none have tread.’)

Talking about non-Realmsian deities, I have to agree with Wooly – Cayden Cailean is awesome. And I really love the amazing concept of Gods of Lankhmar – feared rather than worshipped mummified ancestors who ‘live’ in their temple, but leave it from time to time to battle threats to Lankhmar or, more often, perceived threats to their position as the city’s preeminent religion. Oh, and don’t forget Pathfinder’s Eldest – Count Ranalc, The Lantern King, The Lost Prince, Magdh, Ng the Hooded, or the trans-temporal Shyka the Many – awesome and very easy to incorporate into your own campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  17:13:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bracho Bugental

Oh, and don’t forget Pathfinder’s Eldest – Count Ranalc, The Lantern King, The Lost Prince, Magdh, Ng the Hooded, or the trans-temporal Shyka the Many – awesome and very easy to incorporate into your own campaign.

I love the whole First World concept, though if porting it to the Realms I'd respin it as being part or all of Faerie, mixing in the Faeries book by Bastion Press, as well, and ignoring everything that has ever been said about the feywild.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lordhobie
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2020 :  22:30:37  Show Profile  Visit lordhobie's Homepage Send lordhobie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tempus without a doubt.

Lord Hobie
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2020 :  21:09:58  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The deities of the Realms are among my favorite aspects of the Realms. Yes, they can be petty and overbearing at times, but overall I love them, and their active presence in the Realms.

As for my favorite, well, you can probably tell that by my scribe name lol. Corellon Larethian, patron god of the elves. I also just love the Seldarine as a whole. Even Shevarash, despite his extreme dogma, I find fascinating.

Outside the elven pantheon, my top favorites are: Eilistraee and Vhaeraun, Lathander, Mask, and Ilmater.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  02:58:56  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Eilistraee

She chose to give up on all she could have wanted, face a path full of hardships that she had foreseen and that she feared, only out of love to her people. She found herself alone, fighting forces far greater than her. She suffered defeats, was wounded by the very people that she loved, was broken by grief and loss, and by seeing all that she had fought to build, destroyed.

Yet, as I read about her, the first thing that strikes me is that not only Eilistraee didn't steer from the path that she had chosen to walk for people, but that battling her wounds and sadness taught to see and nurture the beauty, or the potential for it, in everything--even where no one else would look: in the broken, in the abandoned, the forsaken, in the darkest places. As someone who has gone (and is still going through) depression, "melancholy" is a tough opponent, and I simply love that Eilistraee fights hers by striving to heal and create beauty, and by trying to look for chances to enjoy and share it at every opportunity. She continues to dance and sing; to heal, create, and to look for the joy that the world has to offer in all its aspects, even the most mundane--for life is too full of pain to let chances for laughter go to waste. She latches on to what can appear like small things--like creating music, cooking tasty food, being subtly impish/irreverent (she's often described like this), or making someone else happy--and to the act of sharing it with others. It's poignant IMO, because this is her anchor to go through all she had to endure; it's what she built herself on. Creating beauty and spreading this joy that she learned to find, reopening the eyes of her people (or of all those who suffer) to it, make them smile, is what gives her the strength to wake up every morning; she bets herself on the potential of all this, and on the fact that her people, after all, do want to be "seduced" by it. It's her identity at this point.

Which leads to the other part of the character that makes me like her so much--her interaction with the drow. Setting aside her role as a nurturing mother, and the paractical help that she gives the to thrive in a hostile world, to her, the drow are the result of lifelong abuse and neglect from those who should have loved them the most. She knows and feels that, because she's chosen to be one of them, to share their fate. And for that, she also sees the part of them that was silenced by hatred and strife, their potential. Her way of awakening it and healing the abuse is (aside from taking the role of the nurturing mother they never had) to lure the drow out of their prison, to seduce them to embark on a journey to see and marvel at what life actually can be--in short, empowering them to find and pursue beauty in their own life, in the way it best fulfills them. It can't be differently for Eilistraee, because of what I said above--she knows how that abuse feels, and latching onto that beauty, creating it for herself like for others, is what she herself did to rise from her own grief and to rebuild herself; it's only logical that she feels that it can help the drow do the same and be reborn.

As for other gods I enjoy, there's Shaundakul, Selune, Mask, Vhaeraun. Mystra too, because of her intimate connection with the Weave, which is unlike any other deity of magic, but she needs to be left the hell alone for a long time. I'd add deities like Oghma and Sune too, but they're quite standard deities of knowldege and love, so they don't strike me as particularly interesting in that regard. Shelyn from PF is a better characterized deity of love than Sune is, for example, IMHO.

I was less than impressed in her portrayal and the portrayal of her worshippers in the Lady Penitent suite of books. The books utterly disregarded the points you illustrated and made her come across as merely less-cruel-than-Lolth. my two coppers. Others may vehemently disagree.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  03:04:32  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Faerun gods were real, I would choose Deneir as my patron deity. As a RL mathematician, I deal with symbols and glyphs extensively. On Friday late afternoons, I would invoke Llira as I head to the bar for Miller Time.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  03:24:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Eilistraee

I was less than impressed in her portrayal and the portrayal of her worshippers in the Lady Penitent suite of books. The books utterly disregarded the points you illustrated and made her come across as merely less-cruel-than-Lolth. my two coppers. Others may vehemently disagree.

Perfectly agreed with you. Lady Penitent has Eilistraeans as no longer good, but merely self-righteous in being violent, warlike, crass, uncompassionate, abusive, *extremely* misandrist, while calling themselves "good". OTOH, it is apocrypha, and as we discussed in the Q'arlynd thread, as confirmed by other FR authors, it was written with the explicit intention of grossly smearing Eilistraee, to get people to dislike her before getting rid of her for 4e. WotC just wanted their sweet sweet "inherently evil race+few special snowflakes" and what they did with Ryld (with his bloody rampage killing innocent humans to make him less likable before killing him), they tried to do with the Eilistraeans. It's only the Smedman/Athans couple to do this, tho and ALL their stuff re: drow has been retconned into oblivion where it belongs. Elaine's portrayal is FAR different, and Eilistraee's interaction with Liriel paints Eilistraee in her true role.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Jul 2020 03:26:11
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  04:30:38  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Elaine Cunningham's work paints Eilistraee in a much better (and more accurate) light.

Where is this Q'arlynd thread?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  10:33:18  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just re-read prince of lies, and Mask is a very neat deity in that book.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  15:43:57  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Team Good: Sehanine Moonbow, Solonor Thelandira, Oghma, Shaundakul, Sel#251;ne and Mystra

Team Neutral: Araushnee, Hoar, Tempus, Azuth and Helm

Team Evil: Auril, Lolth, Tchazzar, Selvetarm, Shar, Cyric and Talos

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2020 :  15:50:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Yeah, Elaine Cunningham's work paints Eilistraee in a much better (and more accurate) light.

Where is this Q'arlynd thread?

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23333

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2020 :  08:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malar has always been a personal favorite of mine. I know he's evil, and if they were real I probably wouldn't worship him for that reason. But I love his "survival of the fittest" mindset.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000