Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 If you wanted earth alphabets on Toril?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2020 :  13:07:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Don't get me wrong.... I like that Dethek, Espruar, Thorass, Infernal, Celestial, Aquan, Draconic, Tuigan, Ra-Khati, Shou, etc... alphabets, and sometimes its fun to use them to put a hidden message into a picture (I've done so several times). However SOMETIMES, you want something to be "right" canonically but still you want to use a nice flowery font in English that you've found on the web so that someone can just look at it and go "wow, I like that".

So, in THAT vein, how would YOU institute a canonical cross over of the English Alphabet, given that there are specific things that have been done to indicate that such crossovers have occurred between the two worlds? My first thoughts are that the Rus appear to be the actual Rus of our world sending over a few tribes (and likely have little link to the place where "the northmen" themselves came from, other than a link to Yggdrasil's Child being probably where the Rus came through, and they probably settled in the isles near Ruathym for a while). I'm not sure that the earth Rus used the English alphabet though.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2020 :  16:29:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-The Rus spoke Old Slavic, which used Glagolitic and/or Cyrillic script, so you wouldn't be getting English or the alphabet from them.

-I could see a wizard who has knowledge and access of it being a big fan, because in effect, since linguistically it would have no relation to any existing languages or alphabets, it would be virtually undecipherable, much like how Navajo was used during World War II/Korea/Vietnam and wasn't cracked.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11703 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2020 :  19:07:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-The Rus spoke Old Slavic, which used Glagolitic and/or Cyrillic script, so you wouldn't be getting English or the alphabet from them.

-I could see a wizard who has knowledge and access of it being a big fan, because in effect, since linguistically it would have no relation to any existing languages or alphabets, it would be virtually undecipherable, much like how Navajo was used during World War II/Korea/Vietnam and wasn't cracked.

thank you. I didn't know where to "look" for that. I knew some of the Vikings used runes, but not all.

On the Navajo thing, that's a good point. I didn't want it necessarily as a hidden language, but...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000