Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Question about an old masterpiece
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strixy1374
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  15:46:17  Show Profile Send Strixy1374 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The original Ruins of Undermountain box set; the map to Level One, on the left side (eastern half); top right corner (just left of the Wandering Monster Table) there is a room that is 50' wide of 20' depth. One entrance from the south that appears to be a set of stairs. In all of my research (and the collected wisdom of all of the internet), I can find nothing that indicates whether these stairs go up (the room is above the hallway) or down.
I'm pretty sure this was just something that was missed at the printer. I know that as the DM it is totally up to me to decide as it has absolutely zero effect on game play but I don't believe this was intentional. In the grand scheme of the thousands of options DM's have for customization, one random set of stairs just doesn't make sense.
So, I guess my question is, What was the intent? Which direction do the stairs go? What did Ed have on his personal map when he first drew it?

Thief: I carefully turn the pick counter-clockwise...
Barbarian: I put my foot over the thief's shoulder.
Thief: WTH?
Barbarian: I'm a barbarian. Deal with it

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  16:10:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure a lot of the Undermountain maps don't match Ed's originals.

If it's on Level One, I'd have the stairs go down -- for the simple reason that up would likely be an exit/entrance, and it would then be one not listed in the boxed set. Sure, there's nothing wrong with having unlisted entrances/exits, but I think it works better to have those unknown ways in or out be much less obvious.

For going down, there are a lot more options. A small sublevel, just a few rooms, no more than a dozen. Maybe it's one of the known sublevels. Or those stairs could go down to any of the lower levels. I'd personally not have them go down more than one or two levels (why skip all the fun?), but there's nothing that says you can't go further if you want to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Strixy1374
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  20:45:31  Show Profile Send Strixy1374 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, I appreciate the quick response but I'm afraid what I'm looking for is far more simple than your detailed reply. I was referring to one specific room. As I'm sure you are very aware, there are multiple rooms scattered around the level (and others) that have a short 10' set of stairs that either elevate or lower them above or below the "main floor". This particular room does not have a red arrow that shows either. I'm only concerned with something so trivial as I am digitally reproducing all of Undermountain in high definition, color corrected with straightened hallways. Personal use only of course.

Thief: I carefully turn the pick counter-clockwise...
Barbarian: I put my foot over the thief's shoulder.
Thief: WTH?
Barbarian: I'm a barbarian. Deal with it

Edited by - Strixy1374 on 05 Jun 2020 20:46:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000