Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Belt of Feet or Fins
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2020 :  23:21:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just wondering, anyone ever make one of these canonically? I'm thinking very low powered belt that does in effect alter self long term just to give feet if you have a fish tail or fins if you have feet. Thinking if its minor enough, it wouldn't be unbelievable that say some merfolk visit land, etc.. I mean, everyone shouldn't have to give up their voice to a bitchy octopus folk.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2020 :  02:46:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seems similar in function to a Pearl of the Sirines. No feet/fins so I suppose no movement modes and no mermaid fairy tale romance, but it seems to be assumed that walkers can swim and swimmers can crawl.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2020 :  21:21:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, I do like the idea of it being a pearl rather than a belt, but pearl of the sirines is tailored to landbound folk going into the water. Still, its close. I'm actually kind of surprised something this simple was never developed. Basically, my idea is an item that a merfolk could use in order to walk on land (as they can already breathe air). I can see them being interested in such, even if it was just so that they could trade easily with land dwellers. Heck, some folk may not even REALIZE they are trading with a sea creature if the creature dresses proper, doesn't talk much, is nonchalant and unassuming, etc.... It could work with other sea humanoids as well who can breathe air (thinking an octopus bottomed creature should be able to use such). It might be interesting too if there were something for mounts/creatures.... for instance, a hippocampus has horselike forelegs but a fish tail... a sea lion has lion paws and a fish tail. Maybe a bridle for them (not real fond of that because sea lions wouldn't wear a bridle)?

Anyway, it just occurred to me that this wouldn't necessarily be a hard item to make if alter self is such a low level spell in most editions, and if this is a SPECIFIC type of change, it can conceivably have a longer duration, etc...

Oh, and the idea popped in my head as I'm watching Sirens on Hulu right now.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2020 :  23:11:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A pearl is easy to lose, though easy to hide as well. Clearly such a pearl could be built into a belt.

The pearl however provides flexibility. Could be on a necklace, a broach, a tiara, etc.

As for something in canon, I do not recall any such shape change belt/device.

Such can be built within the rules. Could even be triggered by water or lack of it.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2020 :  00:08:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Sea of Fallen Stars had some items and spells which could allow surface folk to go aquatic. But Seros and aquatic species/civilizations are presented as sophisticated enough that it wouldn't make sense for aquatic-species-on-the-surface equivalents to be lacking. Alter self, polymorph, and reversible waterbreathing and airy water spells aren't too difficult to obtain. It seems like the sort of enchantment which would normally be cast into a ring or amulet.

Can a mermaid use this magical belt then wear magical boots?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2020 :  19:09:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

A pearl is easy to lose, though easy to hide as well. Clearly such a pearl could be built into a belt.

The pearl however provides flexibility. Could be on a necklace, a broach, a tiara, etc.

As for something in canon, I do not recall any such shape change belt/device.

Such can be built within the rules. Could even be triggered by water or lack of it.

Yeah, I definitely am in favor of using the pearl, but I hadn't thought about the auto change piece. However, that could get dicey if someone throws water at a person.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2020 :  19:15:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I think Sea of Fallen Stars had some items and spells which could allow surface folk to go aquatic. But Seros and aquatic species/civilizations are presented as sophisticated enough that it wouldn't make sense for aquatic-species-on-the-surface equivalents to be lacking. Alter self, polymorph, and reversible waterbreathing and airy water spells aren't too difficult to obtain. It seems like the sort of enchantment which would normally be cast into a ring or amulet.

Can a mermaid use this magical belt then wear magical boots?

I chose the belt because it follows the general rule of "being somewhat close to the effect" (i.e. if pants would make sense, then I'd choose pants.... but then again... why would a merfolk wear a belt I'm now realizing, so yeah, very bad idea. I'm very amenable to the non-clot type item though like th pearl). On the idea of could a mermaid wear boots after changing... interesting question, and I'd say yes. Its kind of weird how something this simple and silly brings out some odd thoughts because I don't think from an undersea mindset.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2020 :  22:20:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do see Merfolk using belts. The hands need to be free to swim better with so carrying that knife or trident could tend to call for a belt. Also the belt could hold a net for the catch of the sea. While it is possible to keep a weapon in one hand and swim it is not efficient.

The belt and nets weaved from seaweed I would expect. Necklaces, bracelets, head gear or straps all can be made from sea plants.

Knives and tridents could be made out of wood from sea wreaks, shell and rocks. Of course some surface weapons metal knives for example can be available.

Also some weapons might be traded for from sea elves as well as other items.

As for wearing boots in human form. I would say yes, however also apply the polymorph rule, that when shape change occurs items worn transform as well. The boots would become part of fins because no longer having feet. Also magical boots would only work when boots are on human form. I would not sea a belt or necklace change because both forms can wear them.

The issue of gem or belt being triggered by water indeed can be a concern. I had that when I posted it. The how much water. My thoughts then tended toward when leaving body or water or entering. The throwing water then becomes an attack. For the change to be automatic it can not be just wet or dry.
It can be worded a few different ways, surrounded by air/water a gold start. Though one might use a ball of water magic spell (custom spell of course) to target just the pearl to trap Merfork on land with no feet.

I am sure anything worked out one can invent I way to defeat the intent. Just my thoughts for consideration.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  02:04:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks. I want to make this for 5e as part of something else I was writing, and this little discussion has made me think a little on both socieities. I kind of was working on a story which made me think of this (basically a young land boy and a young merfolk "grow up" together because one of them has a "pearl" now of "feet or fins" (and it should confer water breathing like a pearl of the sirines). Just thinking this could be interesting with two children visiting each other's worlds while growing up (possibly even without their parents realizing... as the human "looks" like a merfolk and the merfolk "looks" like a human when changed). Not sure where I would take it, but this becomes a shared magic item between the two of them (the merfolk keeps it). I have another twist on this that I'm not revealing yet, but its a LONG tale that brings together a lot of lore (some canon, and some made my some of our own sages … both AJA and Seethyr). Its also eggregiously nerdy with a TON of shapechangers.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 05 Jun 2020 02:06:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000