Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shapes of Netherese Enclaves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2020 :  12:29:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, just curious because I was thinking about something. Were all documented Netherese Enclaves "flipped over"? I mean, the reason for it to be flipped over is to give you the maximum area for building a settlement for a lot of people. But, I'm not actually picturing every netherese enclave to be on the same scale or for the same purpose.

Reason why I'm wondering this was I was thinking about an enclave that might be a standard mountain with a castle on it, maybe a lower lake, and a smallish village, with the underside flat. However, on the underside, maybe they actually started hollowing it out and mining into it, and in this hollowed out area might be built houses in the interior of this hollowed out space lining it. There might even be tunnels from the places on the top to the places on the bottom, and a complete set of living space within the mountain as well. Or this space could simply be for securing things (warehouses for food and supplies, prisons, interior docking bay for smaller ships, etc...)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2020 :  12:58:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go with Ed's depiction of enclaves, only 5 or 6 were actual cities on mountain tops, the rest could have been anything. The flaming tower is just a tower that can fly and that was of netherese origin.

I made one out of a pinnacle of rock, I believe another was just a set of force walls connected by other spells.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2020 :  13:59:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Published canon is that they were lopping tops off of mountains -- but that's a lot of sheered off mountain peaks, since published canon also says there were 55 of them.

If I was a Netherese arcanist, looking to make a floating city, I think I'd start by finding a large quantity of rock, magically fusing and shaping it, and then lofting it. And to make everything easier, it would be a regular shape -- perhaps a hemisphere, or even square and with a smooth bottom, in case there was a need to land.

Given 55 enclaves, I'm thinking there would be some variety, there... The lopped-off mountaintops, my idea for formed rocks, multiple linked walls of stone or walls of force, magically stabilized and strengthened clouds like some giants use, etc.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000