Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 A D&D crossover I never expected...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  05:07:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so I thought the existence of Ponyfinder was bad enough... But someone at Hasbro had a "Hold my beer!" moment and decided the world needed a D&D/My Little Pony crossover.

I'm fairly certain this is a sign of the Apocalypse.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  05:24:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This goes exceptionally well with the Plane Shift: Equestria PDF that was out (homebrew I believe) that allowed you to make MLP style characters. Honestly, anything to get to kids into D&D is cool in my book.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  05:35:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I'm not complaining... I just can't quite wrap my brain around this one!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  06:16:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Honestly, anything to get to kids into D&D is cool in my book.
I agree wholeheartedly. D&D should be for everyone of all ages.

But I'm apprehensive about WotC's heavyhanded blunders when it comes to segregating and merging and retconning materials. Different audiences have different expectations and interests. And WotC/Hasbro seems to target audiences within statistical-invented categories which are often woefully incorrect - the end result is always more collateral damage, craters, bodies, and fallout left in the Realmslore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  14:20:28  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, I think Hasbro is smarter than that. When my oldest daughter was into MLP we watched a bunch of shows together and, well, they threw out a TON of D&D references early on. One episode was about a troubling dragon, one about a mean-spirited Griffon, one about a cockatrice, and I think one featured a Manticore. I'd then show my daughter the monsters in the Monster Manual and the art inside would grab and keep her attention.

If they start out with toys and kept the references in their shows, that interest might carry onto the TTRPG.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  15:52:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I dunno, I think Hasbro is smarter than that. When my oldest daughter was into MLP we watched a bunch of shows together and, well, they threw out a TON of D&D references early on. One episode was about a troubling dragon, one about a mean-spirited Griffon, one about a cockatrice, and I think one featured a Manticore. I'd then show my daughter the monsters in the Monster Manual and the art inside would grab and keep her attention.

Those aren't D&D references, though... All of them exist in real-world legend/mythology. From a quick bit of Googling, the cockatrice is the most recent one, and that still dates back several centuries. The others go back thousands of years.

A lot of D&D monsters come from various real-world legends and mythology.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  16:24:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, considering I used to let my fiancé's little girl take all my 3d dungeon pieces and build a dungeon that would hold her friends of tinker bell and then have her have tinker bell "raid" said dungeon fighting pre-painted D&D minis... (with rules I made up on the fly)… anything that gets them interested. Gotta say it was more fun for me than legos. Especially when I used to stress to her that all dungeons had to have a bathroom and she would say "yeah, that's true".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  18:35:45  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I'm honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000