Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ossavitor's Way for My Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thuumhammer
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  20:14:45  Show Profile Send Thuumhammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Background: I'm currently running a 5e campaign set in 1372 using 3e lore. The party is finishing up the Lost Mine of Phandelver Starter set, and will then be venturing off to Waterdeep. 3/4 of my players have an interesting background which quests can naturally spring from, except for my barbarian. I'm planning to have the player find an Eldenser possessed +1 halberd (I know that Eldenser only inhabits swords in the lore, but I'm changing it to all martial weapons) so that he has something interesting to work with. If the PC likes Eldenser, then he may end up being given quests to help Eldenser complete Ossavitor's Way.

Query: Does anyone have any ideas for what Ossavitor's Way would look like in this context? The only Candlekeep reference I could find was this: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6468, which didn't really help me. I would like for it to be a series of steps that the party will need to assist with, whether bringing Eldenser's spirit to certain locations, locating certain items, or even finding pieces of knowledge to help Eldenser along the path.

My Unfinished Idea: What if Ossavitor's Way is the school of Illusion magic's version of a lich? It appears that Eldenser has already learned some serious illusion magic, being able to project his spirit from deep below Waterdeep into a variety of weapons across Faerun. What if the final step of Ossavitor's Way was using the "Illusory Reality" perk under the School of Illusion in the 5e PHB to make an image or simulacrum of himself permanently real? This "copy" would be imbued with his sentience, and would be unable to age or die. Of course, it could be injured or destroyed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how the party could help Eldenser carry such a process out? Or how the magic could specifically be tied to dragons? Or have any other completely different ideas? I would like for the idea to work within the lore of the Realms, but am more focused on it working well for my campaign.

Thanks!

Currently living in a version of 1372DR that operates under 5e mechanics. Strange indeed!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000