Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tomb of Horrors Exit Strategy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  03:42:37  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I played the 1ED Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Module like 25 years ago. I personally was a elven thief. I pretty much won the game for us. Now I have a question for all the versions since then.

In 3.5 ED... Once you enter the tomb, and 2,500 tons of magical rock slams behind you sealing off all and any exits... what class/race combo would you choose, and how would you try to exit?

If you choose a 1 through 12, then I ask how you would exit the tomb with said choice. This should be quite fun.

Choices:

Elven Rogue/ Fighter
Dwarven Rogue/ Cleric
Halfling Rogue/ Scout
Gnome Rogue/ Spellthief
Drow Rogue/ Assassin
Human Rogue/ Monk
Quickling Rogue/ Shadowdancer
Pixie Rogue/ Beguiler
Ogre Magi Rogue/ Sorcerer
Fey''ri Rogue/ Wizard
Nymph Rogue/ Druid
RedCap Rogue/ Sacred Fist of The Queen of Air and Darkness

(Anonymous Vote)

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  11:41:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd want to play something single-classed, so I could focus on that one class. I'd rather put all of my XP into doing one thing and keep up with what my party members could do, rather than do twice as much half as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  13:34:01  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a Prestige Class called Cancer Mage in Book of Vile Darkness. The first level ability allows a Cancer Mage to ignore any negative effects of a disease. In the same book there's a disease called Festering Anger. This disease grants a +2 to Strength if you can contract it, with an additional +2 per day.

Cancer Mage+Festering Anger+Enough Time=Infinite Strength=MUSCLE WIZARDS

Then I CAST FIST.

Goodbye Tomb of Horrors, Acererak and most of the countryside.
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  14:24:52  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

There's a Prestige Class called Cancer Mage in Book of Vile Darkness. The first level ability allows a Cancer Mage to ignore any negative effects of a disease. In the same book there's a disease called Festering Anger. This disease grants a +2 to Strength if you can contract it, with an additional +2 per day.

Then I CAST FIST.

Sounds like Locate City Bomb.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  15:27:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then I CAST FIST.

Festering Anger has no upward limit?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  16:22:47  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Then I CAST FIST.

Festering Anger has no upward limit?

Say "CHEESE!"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  16:51:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems to me like there should be some upward limit... Even if a class ability prevents negative effects from a disease, at some point, the body simply can't handle all the extra muscle. You'd wind up recreating that scene from Akira (an anime I find highly overrated).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  18:39:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh, just read disease that description for myself. And indeed, RAW do not place an upward limit on it, and with it being an enhancement bonus, it could readily be argued that it's not making a physical change.

As a DM, though, I'd put some limit in there -- because this could easily result in someone becoming a fantasy version of One Punch Man. LoB's suggestion works, RAW.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Apr 2020 18:41:03
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  18:57:47  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow Rogue/Assassin is my choice. Having read though and played most of the adventure, there's ways around the undead issues and Sneak Attack (namely spells and enchantments on weapons). The Spell Resistance is going to easily come in handy as will the Stealth. Most of the monsters are rather sad in the adventure from what I remember and the traps can be by-passed with decent skills and a good set of Thieve's Tools.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  21:31:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sticking your hand into that demon's mouth is a very quick exit strategy, and it doesn't matter what class you are!

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  01:01:08  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sticking your hand into that demon's mouth is a very quick exit strategy, and it doesn't matter what class you are!

Perhaps with a naļve (or unread) DM, you may try that gambit if you grafted the Hand of Vecna. We tried to get rid of cursed items in that way back in the 1980's. Evidently curses protected items against even that environment.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  01:20:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

Perhaps with a naļve (or unread) DM, you may try that gambit if you grafted the Hand of Vecna. We tried to get rid of cursed items in that way back in the 1980's. Evidently curses protected items against even that environment.

Hand of Vecna or no, you'll be out of that dungeon after sticking your hand in there.

...Now if we want a survivable exit strategy, that's a different story!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  01:50:09  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Never played it, but I feel like Quickling Rogue/ Shadowdancer has the most escape options, including possibly just plane shifting away.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  18:25:19  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quickling Rogue/ Shadowdancer because why not

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  20:47:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fey'ri rogue/wizard because … well... wizard. Not sure why it wouldn't also go into say arcane trickster and possibly Daggerspell Mage (or a variant of such). I say this because the favored class of Fey'ri is sorcerer, so you'd have to keep the rogue and wizard levels close. They can enter arcane trickster by choosing the clairaudience/clairvoyance option in their racial abilities (there's other options too, like dim door and enervation, but they increase the level adjustment) to qualify as having "the ability to cast one arcane spell of 3rd level or higher". Thus, they could get into arcane trickster after 3 levels of rogue, 2 levels of wizard. It might be interesting to have them using some variant of daggerspell mage too (still with generally ineffectual weapons, but maybe kukri and whip/whip-dagger). Magical Trickster / malconvoker / and spellwarp sniper from complete scoundrel are also pretty interesting ideas (in fact, a malconvoker of a good fey'ri posing as evil to the evil creatures he summons has an interesting storyline).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  05:38:55  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you gone to the end? And survived? How many companions followed you out? Truly a thief's playground. What I love is that in the end... most of your party is dead. Unless your're a rogue/thief type and can carry your fighter, cleric, or ranger through to the end. Not looking good. lol.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  16:33:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Have you gone to the end? And survived? How many companions followed you out? Truly a thief's playground. What I love is that in the end... most of your party is dead. Unless your're a rogue/thief type and can carry your fighter, cleric, or ranger through to the end. Not looking good. lol.

You love having your companions die?

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
889 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  22:10:48  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The thief was the first member to go in our ToH session. As far as carrying the party is concerned, it was the cleric doing the carrying.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  18:02:44  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You love having your companions die?

No I truly don't like it at all. But I was playing a CN elven thief for my first time and didn't really care if they died in the end. (which they didn't). As a CN PC I cared only for myself in that game with that Character. Now when I play CN PC's I tend to have a heart, albeit a dark one and full of flighty whims. If you're a friend I'll save you. If you're not a friend, but I need you, then I'll save you as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000