Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Homebrew Initiate of Kelemvor feat (3.5)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  09:19:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Initiate of Kelemvor

[Initiate]

You have been initiated into the greatest secrets of Kelemvor's church.

Prerequisite
Cleric 1st or Paladin 4th, ability to turn or rebuke undead, patron deity Kelemvor.

Benefit
You gain a greater strength in fighting the undead. If you are a cleric, you may use Wisdom in place of Charisma for your turning check and turning damage roll against the undead.

If you are a paladin, you can turn undead as a cleric of your level instead of one 3 levels lower.

In addition, you may add the following spells to you cleric or paladin spell list.

Level     Spell                    Description
1st    Bless Weapon (cleric)       Weapon strikes true against evil foes.
       Hide from Undead (paladin)  Undead can’t perceive one subject/level.
2nd Speak with Dead (paladin) Corpse answers one question/two levels. Zeal (cleric) You move through foes to attack the enemy you want.

So I realized that this deity got his own prestige class, lots of cool concepts going on, and is doing awesome in the distant future but never received a 3.5 Initiate feat that most got. Hells even Amaunator got an Initiate feat! So I did some digging and I didn't see anyone here make their own homebrewed version so I made one.

The benefit is pretty decent but not game breaking, simply making turning a bit easier for both Clerics and paladins of a deity almost entirely designed for fighting the undead AND it doesn't step on Lathander's toes. The spells, well it seems that there aren't too many just Paladin Spells for 3.5 so I had to make do with what we have. Clerics boosts with Bless Weapon and Zeal and Paladins get Hide from Undead to fight them better and Speak with Dead so they can be better at investigations.

Edited by - Diffan on 09 Apr 2020 09:23:44

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  00:17:32  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This feat and Serenity in tandem would rock for a paladin. Too bad Intuitive Attack does not apply to martial weapons. Maybe save the latter feat for clerics who do not plan to train in bastard swords to become doomguides.

Edited by - Delnyn on 10 Apr 2020 00:24:16
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  00:36:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

This feat and Serenity in tandem would rock for a paladin. Too bad Intuitive Attack does not apply to martial weapons. Maybe save the latter feat for clerics who do not plan to train in bastard swords to become doomguides.

Id honestly house rule that intuitive attack can be used with any weapon the deity is favored with too
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  00:52:40  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:

Id honestly house rule that intuitive attack can be used with any weapon the deity is favored with too

That sounds reasonable. I am convinced.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  00:56:41  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That sounds reasonable. I am convinced.

Happy to help. I had to read the description of the feat and it says
"You fight by faith more than brute strength." and what better way for those of the faith to fight than via their Gods weapon of choice?

Edited by - Diffan on 10 Apr 2020 00:57:11
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  16:33:08  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you make an Initiate of Kelemvor feat, why just dump boring spells in it? I know wizards does this....because, well, they are lazy. But if you homebrew one, why not add custom Kelemvor spells?

You could just use the 2E spells: Deny Death, Dead March and Chilling Scythe...I don't think they ever made it into 3.5?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  20:25:28  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Well, if you make an Initiate of Kelemvor feat, why just dump boring spells in it? I know wizards does this....because, well, they are lazy. But if you homebrew one, why not add custom Kelemvor spells?

Hide from Undead for Paladins is a really good spell, especially for ones who's whole job is killing undead. Bless Weapon, the ability to auto-confirm critical hits is also pretty awesome.
Not to mention it instantly makes it easy to hit incorporeal creatures And bypass almost all their DR.

For second level, Speak with Dead is a prerequisite spell for any paladin to jump into the Doomguard prestige class. Despite them needing to be LN alignment, there's alternative paladins that match that, namely the Enforcer from Dragon magazine. Zeal is a spell that Clerics can use to zip around a battlefield, moving through enemies squares and gaining a nice bonus to AC. Why do you think they're boring spells? Especially since neither class has access to them?

quote:

You could just use the 2E spells: Deny Death, Dead March and Chilling Scythe...I don't think they ever made it into 3.5?

I haven't touched 2e in over 20 years, lol. Frankly I didn't know Kelemvor based spells existed then. Why not see if there are conversions to 3.5 and drop them in here, maybe they're a better fit or simply add them in altogether
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  15:41:24  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hide from Undead for Paladins is a really good spell, especially for ones who's whole job is killing undead. Bless Weapon, the ability to auto-confirm critical hits is also pretty awesome.
Not to mention it instantly makes it easy to hit incorporeal creatures And bypass almost all their DR.

For second level, Speak with Dead is a prerequisite spell for any paladin to jump into the Doomguard prestige class. Despite them needing to be LN alignment, there's alternative paladins that match that, namely the Enforcer from Dragon magazine. Zeal is a spell that Clerics can use to zip around a battlefield, moving through enemies squares and gaining a nice bonus to AC. Why do you think they're boring spells? Especially since neither class has access to them?

quote:

I haven't touched 2e in over 20 years, lol. Frankly I didn't know Kelemvor based spells existed then. Why not see if there are conversions to 3.5 and drop them in here, maybe they're a better fit or simply add them in altogether

I found the spells Deny Death, Dead March and Chilling Scythe in my copy of 2E Priest's Spell Compendium. I can make a 3.5 conversion with the descriptor Cleric (level number) [Kelemvor] to emphasize only Kelemvor grants this spell. It is not my place to say whether they should only be granted via this feat. As an alternative, you may instead wish to restrict these spells to doomguides and to paladins in the organization "Knights of the Eternal Order".
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  18:41:33  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found the spells Deny Death, Dead March and Chilling Scythe in my copy of 2E Priest's Spell Compendium. I can make a 3.5 conversion with the descriptor Cleric (level number) [Kelemvor] to emphasize only Kelemvor grants this spell. It is not my place to say whether they should only be granted via this feat. As an alternative, you may instead wish to restrict these spells to doomguides and to paladins in the organization "Knights of the Eternal Order".

Sure, I'd love to see conversions for them. Honestly the spells I put into the Initiate of Kelemvor were specifically placed due to their workings against Undead AND to give each class a bit more oomph that neither had original access to (Bless Weapon is a Paladin only spell, and now clerics can share in that, for example).
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  19:49:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are 2e Kelemvor-specific spells in F&A and Prayers from the Faithful.

--Eric

quote:

quote:

Sure, I'd love to see conversions for them. Honestly the spells I put into the Initiate of Kelemvor were specifically placed due to their workings against Undead AND to give each class a bit more oomph that neither had original access to (Bless Weapon is a Paladin only spell, and now clerics can share in that, for example).

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2020 :  01:12:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

There are 2e Kelemvor-specific spells in F&A and Prayers from the Faithful.

--Eric

I will see if I can get a copy of them somewhere. Thanks Eric!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000