Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Did Mystra Have Worship Across All Realmspace?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  08:01:47  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
At least on Toril, she enjoys reknown as the very embodiment of the Weave and magic itself. She was VERY powerful. The amount of power she is able to impart unto her Chosen, silver fire or otherwise, is unreal. The 7 sisters were all Chosen and existed at the same time. The fact Mystra was able to fuel them all, no problem, is a testament to here power. Insane.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  11:14:44  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Ed in this tweet, the Weave reaches all throughout Reamspace, which is backed up by the "Religion in the Stars" section of Realmspace stating that her specialty priests are unaffected by going offworld, provided they stay within the sphere. The section doesn't speak to whether Mystra is actively worshiped offworld, though the wording (ambiguous as it may be) indicates that regular clerics' recovery of spells only gets capped off if they're in Wildspace, which could be read as them being able to regain all their spells as long as they're on any planet in Realmspace.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  12:26:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd venture to say that knowledge of OR worship of her extending beyond Toril would be limited at best. Glyth for instance would more likely adhere to mind flayer gods, and another H'Catha is filled with beholders. Many of the other planets are sparsely populated. In my viewpoint, only 2 planets MIGHT encourage her worship... Coliar via the aarakocra (and I'd be hard pressed to see it) and Karpri amongst the sea elves (again, I'd be hard pressed to see it since there's elven gods to worship). To add further, there's enough symbolism thrown around in Mythology surrounding the formation of Mystryl, the creation of the Tears of Selune, and the Tearfall to make one really think that Mystryl is somehow entwined with that event millenia ago. There can even be arguments along the line that Ao, Io, and Mystryl were somehow split from the same entity, and it was this splitting and not an "active decision of Ao" that caused the creation of Abeir.... its just mortals don't understand the truth...

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  15:20:13  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

At least on Toril, she enjoys reknown as the very embodiment of the Weave and magic itself. She was VERY powerful. The amount of power she is able to impart unto her Chosen, silver fire or otherwise

IIRC, not as much "able to" as "needs to". But yes.
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

In my viewpoint, only 2 planets MIGHT encourage her worship... Coliar via the aarakocra (and I'd be hard pressed to see it) and Karpri amongst the sea elves (again, I'd be hard pressed to see it since there's elven gods to worship).

Certainly some of those wizards on Templar. Perhaps some on Selune, too.
Also, as usual, aside of the theocracies (Lolthites, Mulhorand, etc) it's mostly not about "encouraged worship", but non-dedicated personal veneration from lip service and up.
But other than that, yeah, probably it means "mostly among the human and half-elven spacefarers", rather than "widespread on other planets".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 09 Apr 2020 15:22:32
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  17:45:08  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd venture to say that knowledge of OR worship of her extending beyond Toril would be limited at best. Glyth for instance would more likely adhere to mind flayer gods, and another H'Catha is filled with beholders. Many of the other planets are sparsely populated. In my viewpoint, only 2 planets MIGHT encourage her worship... Coliar via the aarakocra (and I'd be hard pressed to see it) and Karpri amongst the sea elves (again, I'd be hard pressed to see it since there's elven gods to worship). To add further, there's enough symbolism thrown around in Mythology surrounding the formation of Mystryl, the creation of the Tears of Selune, and the Tearfall to make one really think that Mystryl is somehow entwined with that event millenia ago. There can even be arguments along the line that Ao, Io, and Mystryl were somehow split from the same entity, and it was this splitting and not an "active decision of Ao" that caused the creation of Abeir.... its just mortals don't understand the truth...

But I thought Abeir was made because of Abeir-Toril being split apart due to the war between Primordials and Gods?

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  19:08:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

quote:

But I thought Abeir was made because of Abeir-Toril being split apart due to the war between Primordials and Gods?

Officially, yes, Ao created Abeir because of that war. Sleyvas is suggesting an alternate reason for Abeir's creation.

My personal theory -- not backed up by anything -- is that Abeir was always its own world, and that the whole "twinning the worlds" nonsense was just PR.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2020 :  03:35:52  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but not overly more so then any other Realms deity. All the Realms deities could be worshiped all over the Realmsspace sphere. The Realmsspace book has lots of information on this.

Mystra gets no special mention, but clerics of Azutn regular travel space. As does Bane. Denier's clerics get a power boost from the Sphere Sigils. Clerics of Gond, Selune, Tyr and Path(Mulhrondi) travel space,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000