Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Books Take Place on Other Planets Besides Toril?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  19:54:11  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any Forgotten Realms books that take place off-Toril, or is Toril the primary location for most of the pantheon’s activity and civilization in general?

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  21:22:29  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster in Hell takes places entirely in Hell if I remember correctly.

The Empyrean Odyssey takes place a lot in the upper planes.

Other than that there are a lot of stories where a minor part takes place in another plane.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  22:01:55  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

Elminster in Hell takes places entirely in Hell if I remember correctly.

The Empyrean Odyssey takes place a lot in the upper planes.

Other than that there are a lot of stories where a minor part takes place in another plane.

My apologies, I should clarify- I mean on planets within Realmspace other than Toril.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  22:10:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planes have always been a big deal in D&D. Planets aside from the game world's main one? Not so much. I don't think planets were touched on at all, aside from the Spelljammer novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lookatroopa
Acolyte

Netherlands
38 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  23:00:43  Show Profile Send lookatroopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novels generally only touch on Realmspace's other planets in an astrological context. The Radiant Dragon of the Cloakmaster Cycle partially takes place on Garden, and aside from a few mentions of other Realmspace planets throughout the series that's about it for the Spelljammer novels as well.

Besides a couple of scenarios like Undermountain: Stardock taking place in the Tears of Selūne and scattered references to illithids hailing from Glyth and beholders hailing from H'Catha, the game books don't fare much better (excepting Realmspace, of course).
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  23:04:35  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lookatroopa

The novels generally only touch on Realmspace's other planets in an astrological context. The Radiant Dragon of the Cloakmaster Cycle partially takes place on Garden, and aside from a few mentions of other Realmspace planets throughout the series that's about it for the Spelljammer novels as well.

Besides a couple of scenarios like Undermountain: Stardock taking place in the Tears of Selūne and scattered references to illithids hailing from Glyth and beholders hailing from H'Catha, the game books don't fare much better (excepting Realmspace, of course).

Thanks to both Wooly Rupert and yourself for the light shed on the matter. Your information is invaluable.

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

iltharanos
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  00:35:53  Show Profile Send iltharanos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Corsair by Richard Baker, the second book in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy, partially takes place on one of the Tears of Selune.

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

-Jack Handey
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  07:08:38  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only planet other than Toril that I can think of is Abeir. The only novel I remember at the moment making a short visit to Abeir was one of the Brimstone Angels series.
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  13:18:14  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iltharanos

Corsair by Richard Baker, the second book in the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy, partially takes place on one of the Tears of Selune.

I find myself admiring the philosophical depth of thy signature. Well met, fellow scribe.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  15:07:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A handful of passages pertaining to The Soujourner in the Erevis Cale trilogy either take place in space or are pertaining to space.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  16:03:39  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-A handful of passages pertaining to The Soujourner in the Erevis Cale trilogy either take place in space or are pertaining to space.

Many thanks, milord.

Go to Top of Page

iltharanos
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2020 :  17:01:46  Show Profile Send iltharanos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Daniels

quote:
Originally posted by iltharanos

I find myself admiring the philosophical depth of thy signature. Well met, fellow scribe.

Hail and well met, and thank you! Somewhat appropriate a signature given the topic of this thread.

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

-Jack Handey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000