Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help Determining Primary Sources?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  03:21:11  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, many things are disputable within the realms. How are we supposed to determine what is true and what is not? Evidence based on stories? Incongruencies exist between books. Source material? Incongruencies exist between (canon, specifically) sources.
At this point, are we more or less saying something is true as long as we all agree upon it? What are the criteria? How are you supposed to apply first-principles thinking to something with no fundamental truths?

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  05:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My own personal hierarchy is that the GHotR is the gold standard I go by, then I use lore from the newer edition where there are inconsistencies (even when I don’t like it). But that’s just me personally and just a suggestion.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Shawn Daniels
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  17:22:47  Show Profile Send Shawn Daniels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

My own personal hierarchy is that the GHotR is the gold standard I go by, then I use lore from the newer edition where there are inconsistencies (even when I don’t like it). But that’s just me personally and just a suggestion.

Please forgive my ignorance. Brother. What is this GHotR?

/////////////////////////////////
#127926; And I am aware now of how
everything’s gonna be fine one day
Too late, I’m in hell I am prepared now,
seems everyone’s gonna be fine
One day too late, just as well #127926;

Those who destroy knowledge, with ink, fire, or sword, are themselves destroyed.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  17:24:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grand History of the Realms

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000